BYU 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Padimud
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: BYU 2010

Postby Padimud » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:12 am

Did anyone else get the large packet of information from BYU yesterday?

How is everyone on these boards feeling about BYU when comparing them to the other options they have available to them?

User avatar
yeast master
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: BYU 2010

Postby yeast master » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:42 am

Padimud wrote:Did anyone else get the large packet of information from BYU yesterday?

How is everyone on these boards feeling about BYU when comparing them to the other options they have available to them?


I'm still waiting for the packet and (hopefully) scholarship info. I had my interview with Dean Hernandez on the 26th. I'm in the mid-Atlantic, though, so our weather will probably add to any delay on BYU's end.

I go back and forth on BYU vs. T14 almost daily. If debt weren't an issue, I'd probably go T14, but I have a family and I already have student debt, so I do feel somewhat limited. BYU is so cheap, scholarship or no, that it's hard to pass up. I'm just worried about job prospects. I have a cousin that is a BYU 3L and she has a job lined up, but she says that at this point it seems that only about 1/2 of her class has offers. Of course, in normal years it would be much higher, but it's rough right now. When I think about that, I lean towards T14.

However, I have good IP credentials and am interested in patent law, which might change the calculus for me. Through my cousin, I got in touch with two other 3L's going into patent law and they actually did pretty well on the job market. Another guy I grew up with graduated last year and landed a great IP gig. So with that info, I've been leaning towards BYU over the past few days.

I'm waiting to see what kind of financial aid I can get from some T14's and T20's, and I need to get a better handle on my job prospects coming out of BYU, but for now I'm leaning BYU.

It also helps that all of my family is in Utah and I've been away for grad school for several years. It'd be nice to have three years to reconnect with friends and family.

User avatar
Padimud
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: BYU 2010

Postby Padimud » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:43 pm

Interesting. Maybe it is all where we have been. Although it is not looking like I will be a T14 candidate I have a full-tuition at Iowa and 60-80% tuition at a few other 20-45 schools. I did my undergrad at BYU and a large part of me is telling me to get some diversity of resume and move down the road. My wife wants to move on as well. I have really been leaning to pass up BYU, and my main reason is to experience something new and job prospects. I know some schools have been hit much harder than others. . . BYU being on the end of hit pretty hard.

User avatar
yeast master
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: BYU 2010

Postby yeast master » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:57 pm

I can certainly understand that. My wife and I are really glad that we've lived away from Utah for several years. My wife especially needed to get out of Utah Valley. We don't expect that we'll settle in Utah long-term, but I would enjoy being there for a while. My wife would rather we go to Durham, though. I would really enjoy that, too, but tuition is very expensive.

I'm still open to some T30's. I hope to get some scholarships. But if I'm not going to a T14, I think debt minimization will be priority #1, and BYU will probably leave me with significantly less debt than other places because we can live with my parents if need be.

User avatar
tyjole
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: BYU 2010

Postby tyjole » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:19 pm

What you've said is the truth. I have also been living in Utah all along and my wife and I both want a different experience, but what it seems like is that in the end, if its not a top school, then BYU (despite being hit hard with careers) still offers better job placement than most other schools if you plan on staying in Utah. The money issue is always one to consider (I believe with even more weight with the way things are), so to me if its not Durham as well, then its most likely going to be BYU. I plan on working in Utah, but if you plan on going somewhere else, BYU may not have the reach you want.

For those discussing packets, I'm still waiting for mine. But I only had my interview a week ago, so hopefully it comes soon, but they told me 2 weeks is the norm.

Overall I think something to consider, is what is more important. Having the diversity on the resume and the experience of being somewhere else is great, but if the debt incurred matters more, then I am leaning to stay where you are and get established that way. Repaying little debt will create a much happier life after school than living tight for the next 10 or more years. That's just my mentality though.

User avatar
yeast master
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: BYU 2010

Postby yeast master » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:37 pm

BYU's reach is a major concern for me. I'd be fine with working in the Mountain West, but it doesn't seem that there is a lot of biotech IP work in the region. If that's true, then I would have to count on the degree traveling for me. From the current 3L's I spoke with, it does sound like it is possible for someone with an IP background to get jobs outside the region. One of them has a job in the Southwest and another is going Midwest.

Re: packets, I just checked my BYU status checker and it says that my decision letter was sent 2/8, with an official admit date of 1/28. So if USPS is up and running, I should get it by the end of the week.

User avatar
tyjole
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: BYU 2010

Postby tyjole » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:04 pm

yeast master wrote:BYU's reach is a major concern for me. I'd be fine with working in the Mountain West, but it doesn't seem that there is a lot of biotech IP work in the region. If that's true, then I would have to count on the degree traveling for me. From the current 3L's I spoke with, it does sound like it is possible for someone with an IP background to get jobs outside the region. One of them has a job in the Southwest and another is going Midwest.


My thought is, and you probably know where a lot of the biotech work is taking place, you might be better off at a school in one of those hotbeds; if you had the scholly money of course, which it looks like you won't have a problem receiving.

User avatar
Padimud
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: BYU 2010

Postby Padimud » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:16 pm

I can pretty much take the debt card out of play. Given tuition (after scholarship at BYU) will be about $7K/year. I have 5 options elsewhere where my tuition will be between $0 and 14K/ Year.

So when it comes to debt I think in the end it will be sixes for me. Sure I might have $10K less if I stayed at BYU, but long-term I don't think Utah is going to be the place for our family. We want to expand our horizons beyond the borders of Utah. So should money really play a factor if we are looking at Under $15K/year at other regions all over the country?

I am sincerely interested in your point of view as I am wrestling with this decision.

User avatar
tyjole
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: BYU 2010

Postby tyjole » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:28 pm

I suggest you really look at where you are wanting or willing to live. If its not near the mountain west then look at your other options closer to those cities. If you plan on working in Utah for a while, then moving, that's another scenario that BYU would work out better. Moving jobs after a while seems easier than starting a career from scratch. I've always been the kind of person that thinks way too far ahead for things, but in this case you really have to do that. Whatever your timeline for leaving Utah is will greatly affect your law school decision. Hope that helps, if not pm me and we can take it further.

User avatar
Zoomba200
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: BYU 2010

Postby Zoomba200 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:29 pm

I know I am just joining this discussion, but the difference between 7k and 15k in debt is pretty minimal compared to what many of your classmates or fellow law students are most likely going to be paying. If you are sure you want to live elsewhere and practice elsewhere I would explore your other options.

Are your other low tuition offerings given with any stipulations?

User avatar
Padimud
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: BYU 2010

Postby Padimud » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:33 pm

Zoomba200 wrote:I know I am just joining this discussion, but the difference between 7k and 15k in debt is pretty minimal compared to what many of your classmates or fellow law students are most likely going to be paying. If you are sure you want to live elsewhere and practice elsewhere I would explore your other options.

Are your other low tuition offerings given with any stipulations?


2 are guaranteed cash - those will both equate to about 8-10K/year if you take total divided by 3. The two for which I have the most interest are contingent upon "B average" or top 1/3. Those are full at Iowa but who wants to live in the Midwest, even though I am keeping an open mind and going to visit here in 2 weeks, and W&M, but if I decided the West is where I want to end up, I may have some trouble getting back.

User avatar
yeast master
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: BYU 2010

Postby yeast master » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:43 pm

Padimud,
I would consider it worth taking on a little extra debt to get a JD in an area where you would like to move your family. It sounds like in your situation, total debt will be in the same ballpark no matter where you go. If you can go to a school that's ranked higher than BYU, that's in a place that you'd prefer to Provo, and that gives you the life experience that you want for you and your family, I would say that's worth an extra $10k - $35k in total debt. Like I said, my wife and I are both very happy that we've had the experience we've had. Utah is great in a lot of ways, but sometimes you just gotta try something else.

That's not to say that I would advise against a lifelong Utahn/BYU grad sticking around if they're content where they are.

teiltom
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:34 pm

Re: BYU 2010

Postby teiltom » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:07 pm

Hi. I am applying to BYU and am just finishing my personal statement. Does anyone know where a sample personal statement that someone has written to BYU can be found? Also, I am seeking advice on whether it is important to mention faith and experiences with the LDS church in the personal statement or whether it is better to leave that out? I am assuming most applicants have such experiences, but I am not sure if that type of information helps the admissions committee or whether it is just more for them to read. Comments are welcome.

drwjr21
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:08 am

Re: BYU 2010

Postby drwjr21 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:21 pm

teiltom wrote:Hi. I am applying to BYU and am just finishing my personal statement. Does anyone know where a sample personal statement that someone has written to BYU can be found? Also, I am seeking advice on whether it is important to mention faith and experiences with the LDS church in the personal statement or whether it is better to leave that out? I am assuming most applicants have such experiences, but I am not sure if that type of information helps the admissions committee or whether it is just more for them to read. Comments are welcome.


I don't think you should mention anything particularly about the LDS church or faith unless there is a story that captures who you are and it happens to incorporate those things. If you just throw those aspects in I think it would just sound like you are trying to pander to the adcomms and they will see through it.
Last edited by drwjr21 on Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
yeast master
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: BYU 2010

Postby yeast master » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:40 pm

teiltom wrote:Hi. I am applying to BYU and am just finishing my personal statement. Does anyone know where a sample personal statement that someone has written to BYU can be found? Also, I am seeking advice on whether it is important to mention faith and experiences with the LDS church in the personal statement or whether it is better to leave that out? I am assuming most applicants have such experiences, but I am not sure if that type of information helps the admissions committee or whether it is just more for them to read. Comments are welcome.


I'm pretty sure that the same qualities that make a strong personal statement for other apps make a strong personal statement for BYU. I used pretty much the same personal statement for all my apps. Didn't mention anything about faith. I think the ecclesiastical endorsement is sufficient to convince them of your commitment to the Church.

User avatar
justcap
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: BYU 2010

Postby justcap » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:55 pm

Padimud wrote:Did anyone else get the large packet of information from BYU yesterday?

I got the big packet too. It was good, except the pen they put in there is pretty crappy.

User avatar
tyjole
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: BYU 2010

Postby tyjole » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:30 pm

justcap wrote:
Padimud wrote:Did anyone else get the large packet of information from BYU yesterday?

I got the big packet too. It was good, except the pen they put in there is pretty crappy.


Is this packet different from the admit packet?

scionb4
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 8:57 am

Re: BYU 2010

Postby scionb4 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:32 pm

I'm really nervous about the competitive nature of BYU. I'll have to drink a lot of coffee so that I can keep my wits sharp. :wink:

User avatar
justcap
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: BYU 2010

Postby justcap » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:44 pm

tyjole wrote:
justcap wrote:
Padimud wrote:Did anyone else get the large packet of information from BYU yesterday?

I got the big packet too. It was good, except the pen they put in there is pretty crappy.


Is this packet different from the admit packet?

Yeah, if I remember right, there was first just a small envelope that had the official acceptance letter (along with scholarship info). The one this week was actually a folder with lots of little brochures on the school, course descriptions, etc.

User avatar
tyjole
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: BYU 2010

Postby tyjole » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:37 pm

ok, cool. I'll have to wait for that then. My status just changed to say Decision Letter sent 2/11/2010! Hopefully I get that one soon then with the scholarship offer. Thanks

User avatar
adameus
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:07 am

Re: BYU 2010

Postby adameus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:22 pm

Only 3 Pages? I guess there are not a lot of Mormons on TLS.....

User avatar
ashkenazy
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:32 pm

Re: BYU 2010

Postby ashkenazy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:23 pm

My packet came today!! It seems like I got both of the referred to mailings all in one big packet. Decision letter, scholarship info, brochures, and course info.
Last edited by ashkenazy on Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Padimud
Posts: 239
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: BYU 2010

Postby Padimud » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:42 pm

adameus wrote:Only 3 Pages? I guess there are not a lot of Mormons on TLS.....


Right you are - not many.

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: BYU 2010

Postby bgdddymtty » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:11 pm

Here are my stats/story:
UGPA: 2.93 (more on that below)
LSAT: 174-180 (tested last weekend, but I'm >90% confident it will be in that range)
Part NA
BA in Poli Sci from a state school in '07, MBA from BYU in '09

UGPA story: I graduated from HS in 1994 at age 16 and posted horrible grades for a couple of years due to general immaturity. I then left school, got my act together, served a mission, and started taking classes again in 2001. My GPA for the rest of my undergrad, which was done piecemeal due to my having to work full-time, was 3.51. My b-school GPA was 3.49.

I know that splitters are notoriously hard to predict, but do I have any reason to fear that I won't get in at BYU? The only other schools I'm considering are UVa and Vandy. What do you guys think my chances are there? Since my career aim is academia, is the BYU brand strong enough to help me get there? Is there any reason for me to consider taking on the additional ~$100K in debt when I don't have much of an interest in BigLaw?

Thanks for your input.

scionb4
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 8:57 am

Re: BYU 2010

Postby scionb4 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:49 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:Here are my stats/story:
UGPA: 2.93 (more on that below)
LSAT: 174-180 (tested last weekend, but I'm >90% confident it will be in that range)
Part NA
BA in Poli Sci from a state school in '07, MBA from BYU in '09

UGPA story: I graduated from HS in 1994 at age 16 and posted horrible grades for a couple of years due to general immaturity. I then left school, got my act together, served a mission, and started taking classes again in 2001. My GPA for the rest of my undergrad, which was done piecemeal due to my having to work full-time, was 3.51. My b-school GPA was 3.49.

I know that splitters are notoriously hard to predict, but do I have any reason to fear that I won't get in at BYU? The only other schools I'm considering are UVa and Vandy. What do you guys think my chances are there? Since my career aim is academia, is the BYU brand strong enough to help me get there? Is there any reason for me to consider taking on the additional ~$100K in debt when I don't have much of an interest in BigLaw?

Thanks for your input.


I hate General Immaturity, almost as much as I hate Major Lethargy.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rizzlebizness, Why???, xnsch and 21 guests