BYU 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Torvon

Re: BYU 2010

Postby Torvon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:39 pm

I've noticed some people have started posting scholarship amounts to LSN, can anyone tell me when they received their letter and whether or not it shows up under "Mailings" in the status checker?

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:00 pm

Torvon wrote:I've noticed some people have started posting scholarship amounts to LSN, can anyone tell me when they received their letter and whether or not it shows up under "Mailings" in the status checker?

Scholarship included in decision letter. The decision letter mailing was posted to status checker on the day it was mailed. Hope that helps.

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:12 pm

Padimud wrote:
Torvon wrote:I've noticed some people have started posting scholarship amounts to LSN, can anyone tell me when they received their letter and whether or not it shows up under "Mailings" in the status checker?

Scholarship included in decision letter. The decision letter mailing was posted to status checker on the day it was mailed. Hope that helps.

Hmm...so do you think it's a bad sign that they still haven't mailed mine out?

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:28 pm

Torvon wrote:
Padimud wrote:

When were you accepted?

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:48 pm

Padimud wrote:
Torvon wrote:
Padimud wrote:

When were you accepted?

12/15

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:56 pm

I was accepted 12/14 - and it arrived on the 27th. I don't know what kind of a sign i would take it as, but that is how the timeline played out for me.

JetstoRJC

Postby JetstoRJC » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:04 pm

You might get a scholarship offer later...or might even be able to negotiate. IMO with the cheap tuition it is almost like everybody starting out with a 30000 scholarship each year

ashkenazy

Postby ashkenazy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:04 pm

To all those who've received decisions, how long did it take for you to go from "under review" to receiving your decision? My status checker just switched to under review and I'm wondering if I can get a picture of how much longer I might have to wait. THANKS!!!

justcap

Postby justcap » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:11 am

ashkenazy wrote:To all those who've received decisions, how long did it take for you to go from "under review" to receiving your decision? My status checker just switched to under review and I'm wondering if I can get a picture of how much longer I might have to wait. THANKS!!!

I'm not sure. For me I don't think it was ever "under review;" they just emailed me about meeting with Dean Hernandez, and at the meeting he offered admissions.

reebtoor

Postby reebtoor » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:32 pm

In after phone interview with Dean Hernandez.

ashkenazy

Postby ashkenazy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:36 pm

After meeting with the dean, does anyone not get an offer? Also, does anyone get admitted without the interview? They only admit about 250 people, so interviewing each admit is plausible. Does anyone have any experience in this field?

It was mentioned that some people get referred back for further review, but is that really the case?

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:57 am

Got my scholarship information a few days back, BYU is back into the competition.

justcap

Postby justcap » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:14 pm

Torvon wrote:Got my scholarship information a few days back, BYU is back into the competition.

+1 It took a lot longer than the dean said, but in the end I'm pretty happy.

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:29 pm

ashkenazy wrote:After meeting with the dean, does anyone not get an offer? Also, does anyone get admitted without the interview? They only admit about 250 people, so interviewing each admit is plausible. Does anyone have any experience in this field?

It was mentioned that some people get referred back for further review, but is that really the case?

Dean Hernandez told me that they were interviewing all candidates who will be offered admission either in person or via phone call. I was similar in that I just received an invite to interview than was admitted during the conversation.

ashkenazy

Postby ashkenazy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:49 pm

Padimud wrote:Dean Hernandez told me that they were interviewing all candidates who will be offered admission either in person or via phone call. I was similar in that I just received an invite to interview than was admitted during the conversation.

Thanks for helping out. Not to be too critical, but did he say all phone interviews lead to admission? Judging from what you said, it looks like there's still room for the chance that some interviewees don't get admitted. (The call is necessary, but is it also sufficient?) Thanks again!

tarvis79

Postby tarvis79 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:53 am

I have a phone interview scheduled for this Thursday, and I'm also pretty curious as to whether that means I've already been admitted.

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:09 pm

tarvis79 wrote:I have a phone interview scheduled for this Thursday, and I'm also pretty curious as to whether that means I've already been admitted.

All I know is what was relayed to me in my interview, and that is that he has the discretion to send back for further review or to admit. So don't blow your interview is what I gathered from mine. Nothing is official till the Dean confirms it was my understanding of it.

migratorycoconut

Postby migratorycoconut » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:31 pm

I met with Dean Hernandez this week. He offered me admission at the end of our very pleasant discussion. He did not ask for a commitment at that moment. He actually encouraged me to go home, consider all of the schools I have applied to, consider their mission statements, and to pray about my decision.

That said, he told me that my letter of admission would arrive in about 2 weeks, but that as of the very moment we were talking, I was officially admitted.

3.69/164 are my stats. I found this thread when I was searching for more info on what exactly an interview with the Dean was going to be all about. BYU is my first acceptance, and my first choice, too. I'd say it all worked out well.

ashkenazy

Postby ashkenazy » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:03 pm

Padimud wrote:All I know is what was relayed to me in my interview, and that is that he has the discretion to send back for further review or to admit. So don't blow your interview is what I gathered from mine. Nothing is official till the Dean confirms it was my understanding of it.

Thanks. It's pretty clear now.

ashkenazy

Postby ashkenazy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:10 pm

I'm in!!! My phone call with Dean Hernandez was fantastic. The suggestions he gave for considering which law school I will bring my family to were excellent. Also, he said they would be including a scholarship offer in the letter they'll be mailing to my permanent address. For all those who've seen the index, it looks like the currently discussed cut-off isn't as rigid as they were assumed to be. Maybe those are the cut-offs for big $$$ (meaning my offer might not be huge), but either way, he said there will be a scholarship offer coming! For a 75/25 splitter at BYU, I'm very excited to hear the news. Best wishes to all the rest of you.

justcap

Postby justcap » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:16 pm

ashkenazy wrote:I'm in!!! My phone call with Dean Hernandez was fantastic. The suggestions he gave for considering which law school I will bring my family to were excellent. Also, he said they would be including a scholarship offer in the letter they'll be mailing to my permanent address. For all those who've seen the index, it looks like the currently discussed cut-off isn't as rigid as they were assumed to be. Maybe those are the cut-offs for big $$$ (meaning my offer might not be huge), but either way, he said there will be a scholarship offer coming! For a 75/25 splitter at BYU, I'm very excited to hear the news. Best wishes to all the rest of you.

Congratulations to you for getting in with $$

tarvis79

Postby tarvis79 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:26 pm

Dean Hernandez accepted me during my phone call as well. Seems like no one has failed to receive an offer during that call.

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:29 pm

tarvis79 wrote:Dean Hernandez accepted me during my phone call as well. Seems like no one has failed to receive an offer during that call.

I don't think the call is made unless they have every intention of admitting you. Obviously if you tell him you've already accepted another offer at a different school they won't accept you for YP reasons, but aside from that I'm sure it's just to tell you that you are in.

azbio

Postby azbio » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:46 pm

justcap wrote:
ashkenazy wrote:I'm in!!! My phone call with Dean Hernandez was fantastic. The suggestions he gave for considering which law school I will bring my family to were excellent. Also, he said they would be including a scholarship offer in the letter they'll be mailing to my permanent address. For all those who've seen the index, it looks like the currently discussed cut-off isn't as rigid as they were assumed to be. Maybe those are the cut-offs for big $$$ (meaning my offer might not be huge), but either way, he said there will be a scholarship offer coming! For a 75/25 splitter at BYU, I'm very excited to hear the news. Best wishes to all the rest of you.

Congratulations to you for getting in with $$

Yes, Contrats! I wonder how reliable this index is. I just had my phone interview as well. I was admitted but there was no mention of scholarship money. According to the index provided in this thread, I should be just above the cutoff (163, 3.8).

tyjole

Postby tyjole » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:12 pm

Met with Dean Hernandez yesterday. It was a short talk, but it went very well. BYU is a great school with a lot of opportunities for my focus. Still a long time to decide though huh.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”