BYU 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
egb23

Re: BYU 2010

Postby egb23 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:54 pm

Is the general trend that people are notified of acceptance via phone call from the dean? I just found out I have a 235 index. Apparently 236 is needed for a scholarship. Very annoying.

erico

Postby erico » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:07 pm

egb23 wrote:Is the general trend that people are notified of acceptance via phone call from the dean? I just found out I have a 235 index. Apparently 236 is needed for a scholarship. Very annoying.

seems to be.

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:03 am

Echoing a bit of TaipeiMort's last post... I spoke with an attorney that attended BYU. He told me something to the effect of "for good or for bad, you'll always have that BYU appellation next to your name." It will help in most cases, but can potentially hurt in some others. People need to decide what their goals/vision are and make a decision based on that.

erico

Postby erico » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:00 am

sundevil77 wrote:Echoing a bit of TaipeiMort's last post... I spoke with an attorney that attended BYU. He told me something to the effect of "for good or for bad, you'll always have that BYU appellation next to your name." It will help in most cases, but can potentially hurt in some others. People need to decide what their goals/vision are and make a decision based on that.

i would say that any school next to your name could potentially hurt you. ultimately, you have to prove yourself as an individual and from what i gather, byu provides a good chance at that opportunity.

tyjole

Postby tyjole » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:20 pm

Has anyone lived in the married student housing at BYU, The Wymount place? I've made the decision to attend, I'm just starting to think of places to live. If you have been there please tell me how it was, and what your experience was like.

yeast master

Postby yeast master » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:49 pm

tyjole wrote:Has anyone lived in the married student housing at BYU, The Wymount place? I've made the decision to attend, I'm just starting to think of places to live. If you have been there please tell me how it was, and what your experience was like.

Haven't lived there, but I knew a family of five or six that lived in Wymount (or was it Wyview?), and visited them there. It was your standard apartment, not very spacious, but not exceptionally cramped. They seemed to be fine with it. I wouldn't want to live there, but I'm super biased against apartments. I've been cooped up for too long.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:27 am

tyjole wrote:Has anyone lived in the married student housing at BYU, The Wymount place? I've made the decision to attend, I'm just starting to think of places to live. If you have been there please tell me how it was, and what your experience was like.

I currently live at Wymount.

Upsides:

Near BYU, lots of Chinese people to talk to, cool Elders Quorum, Safe community with nightly police patrols, good kids' playgrounds, right next to the Provo temple (it takes me 3 minutes to get there on foot), a good number of law students, moderately priced at $600 per month for a two bedroom, a grocery store onsite, nice landscaping, quiet, clean, good church/ ward leadership (if you are Mormon).

Downsides:
Lead paint in the walls (you sign a waiver when you move in that you wont sue if your kid becomes retarded), asinine management who do not respect residents rights (let me expound on this one):
We as a community had ongoing construction which began at 7 am and woke everyone up for 13 months (like huge earthmover construction). Holes were in the ground and many people got hurt (like pregnant ladies falling down hills hurt), the construction crews violated several Ocea safety guidelines (chainsaws left in playgrounds, birth-defect-causing concrete sealer was poured in proximity of 7 pregnant homes without notifying the residents, the stairs were out for months during the winter and pregnant women had to climb down ice hills, construction workers dropped expletives in front of kids DAILY, a residents' home-window was smashed open by an excavator arm and the window was not repaired for seven days during the winter, and countless more grievances and injuries). After a 150-person petition was signed, the response by BYU housing management was an effectual “Thanks for your feedback, screw you!”

Other downsides: If you don’t have a kid, the resident-women are a little cultish and tend to ignore those without children, many of the women were extremely cliquish, self-righteous, and immature (which was strangely the opposite of their husbands who were all chill guys), they don’t let you have pets, laundry rooms far from housing, no dishwasher, small-medium sized for what you get, no air conditioning, walls are pretty thin, which is bad if you 1) have frequent sex, 2) your neighbors have frequent sex, 3)you have a baby that cries, or 4) you and your wife occasionally have ole' fashioned white-trash brawls.

ashkenazy

Postby ashkenazy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:42 am

Oh the wonders of thin walled apartments!!! I especially enjoyed that white-trash brawl comment. ;)

My impression of Wymount in general is that it is convenient, but not the biggest, nicest, or most comfortable for the money. For 600 bucks and a decent housing search you can find something that will probably be much more comfortable for a family, but it probably won't be as close to the law school.

The majority of the apartments have a "I was built in the 70's feel," but that's probably because they were, and in these older apartments the painted over cinder block look has always made me want to puke.

If you are willing to look for a house or apartment off campus, I bet you'll find something that you'll like more, but if you would rather have the convenience of on-campus sign-me-right-up housing I'd go with Wymount and you probably won't be too disappointed.

tyjole

Postby tyjole » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:27 am

GO COUGARS!!!!!!!! Beat those Gators today.

erico

Postby erico » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:49 pm

tyjole wrote:Received my admit packet from BYU today! A good size scholarship tips the scales even closer to BYU. Acceptance letter came with the information packet. I'm really excited with everything I've seen and experienced with BYU, I'll most likely be attending, pending some kind of an offer from Duke or Cornell. But less than 5k/yr for law school is trully a great deal.

How long after your phone interview did this take? I have my interview about 11 days ago. I got that 'Law in the Light' book last night in the mail and I'm getting antsy for the packet. When is the first deposit due? Thanks.

tyjole

Postby tyjole » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:08 pm

Deposit is due April 15 I think. I already put mine down. The letter came exactly 14 days after the interview like Dean Hernandez said. Depending where you are I'd say it'll be really close to that. It seems pretty consistent with how they've been handling things.

erico

Postby erico » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:23 pm

tyjole wrote:Deposit is due April 15 I think. I already put mine down. The letter came exactly 14 days after the interview like Dean Hernandez said. Depending where you are I'd say it'll be really close to that. It seems pretty consistent with how they've been handling things.

Sweet. Ok so I'll try not to look forward to getting the mail until Monday.

egb23

Postby egb23 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:17 pm

So Dean Hernandez does interview acceptances also? Is that for on campus applicants or locals? Or for some other reason?

I guess I could go read the rest of this thread to see if it's already discussed, but maybe you guys can help me.

cougarlive

Postby cougarlive » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:23 pm

ashkenazy wrote:Oh the wonders of thin walled apartments!!! I especially enjoyed that white-trash brawl comment. ;)

My impression of Wymount in general is that it is convenient, but not the biggest, nicest, or most comfortable for the money. For 600 bucks and a decent housing search you can find something that will probably be much more comfortable for a family, but it probably won't be as close to the law school.

The majority of the apartments have a "I was built in the 70's feel," but that's probably because they were, and in these older apartments the painted over cinder block look has always made me want to puke.

If you are willing to look for a house or apartment off campus, I bet you'll find something that you'll like more, but if you would rather have the convenience of on-campus sign-me-right-up housing I'd go with Wymount and you probably won't be too disappointed.

For any of you deciding on Wymount, keep in mind that the south part of wymount was built in the 70's, and the north part much more recently. DO NOT LIVE IN WYMOUNT SOUTH if you have the choice of living in North. The complex doesn't differentiate between the two when getting an apartment, so you have to have some initiative in making sure you get north. I would live in Wymount north again, but never in wymount south.

P.S. To be more clear, the south has the cinder blocks painted over (think MTC with painted walls), as where the north apts. are nice and new(er). A steal for the price, hence the difficulty in getting a spot there.

cjanis

Postby cjanis » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:10 pm

I work with Dean Hernandez on recruiting, so if anyone has any particular questions about the school, let me know. I can't tell you things like whether or not you'll be accepted or how much scholarship money you'll get, but I can tell you things about BYU's programs, clubs, teachers, work prospects, etc. Ask away!

austrascruff

Postby austrascruff » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:49 am

Is BYU still giving out acceptances? Isn't most of the class filled if they are? When will they let everyone know? By April 15th?

akarmenia1

Postby akarmenia1 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:47 am

egb23 wrote:So Dean Hernandez does interview acceptances also? Is that for on campus applicants or locals? Or for some other reason?

I guess I could go read the rest of this thread to see if it's already discussed, but maybe you guys can help me.

It seems to me that the Dean is only interviewing people that they intend to accept or are on the line. They aren't interviewing everyone, and all of the interviews I've heard about have been via phone.

nbp

Postby nbp » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:12 am

akarmenia1 wrote:
egb23 wrote:So Dean Hernandez does interview acceptances also? Is that for on campus applicants or locals? Or for some other reason?

It seems to me that the Dean is only interviewing people that they intend to accept or are on the line. They aren't interviewing everyone, and all of the interviews I've heard about have been via phone.

Mine was a personal interview. I'm pretty local, Salt Lake. I also had the impression that the interviews are only for those that are being very seriously considered.

justcap

Postby justcap » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:53 am

nbp wrote:
akarmenia1 wrote:

Mine was a personal interview. I'm pretty local, Salt Lake. I also had the impression that the interviews are only for those that are being very seriously considered.

Mine was personal interview also, and I'm in Logan.

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:36 pm

Has anybody heard anything further on the dinner with a professor thing?

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:05 pm

sundevil77 wrote:Has anybody heard anything further on the dinner with a professor thing?

I had my dinner with a professor about 10 days ago. Don't know if they are still doing this.

justcap

Postby justcap » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:58 am

sundevil77 wrote:Has anybody heard anything further on the dinner with a professor thing?

I hadn't heard back from the girl (Marie) for over a week, so I called her today to make sure she had got my message. She said she'll be emailing the details this week, but that it is Friday at 7pm. Did you ever talk to her?

Muckduck

Postby Muckduck » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:05 am

Married student housing is incredibly plentiful and easy to find in Provo. There are links on the BYU homepage, but you could even just drive around Provo and visit any complex that looked appealing.

Since BYU law is so affordable there is no need to resort to Wyview/Wymount/whichever because they seem like such a crapshoot. You have a wealth of choices, although Wy____ is affordable, I haven't met anyone who raves about it.

Question: What proportion of BYU law did not attend UG at BYU? I have always wondered how strongly it appealed to other Utah colleges and out of staters who are not LDS...

eattrucks

Postby eattrucks » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:18 pm

davipatr

Postby davipatr » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:53 pm

cjanis wrote:I work with Dean Hernandez on recruiting, so if anyone has any particular questions about the school, let me know. I can't tell you things like whether or not you'll be accepted or how much scholarship money you'll get, but I can tell you things about BYU's programs, clubs, teachers, work prospects, etc. Ask away!

To echo a question that was asked earlier, are they still admitting students? Is most of the class already filled? Are they going to update my status or contact me in any way in this lifetime?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”