BYU 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
erico

Bronze

Re: BYU 2010

Post by erico » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:46 pm

cougarlive wrote:
ashkenazy wrote:Oh the wonders of thin walled apartments!!! I especially enjoyed that white-trash brawl comment. ;)

My impression of Wymount in general is that it is convenient, but not the biggest, nicest, or most comfortable for the money. For 600 bucks and a decent housing search you can find something that will probably be much more comfortable for a family, but it probably won't be as close to the law school.

The majority of the apartments have a "I was built in the 70's feel," but that's probably because they were, and in these older apartments the painted over cinder block look has always made me want to puke.

If you are willing to look for a house or apartment off campus, I bet you'll find something that you'll like more, but if you would rather have the convenience of on-campus sign-me-right-up housing I'd go with Wymount and you probably won't be too disappointed.
For any of you deciding on Wymount, keep in mind that the south part of wymount was built in the 70's, and the north part much more recently. DO NOT LIVE IN WYMOUNT SOUTH if you have the choice of living in North. The complex doesn't differentiate between the two when getting an apartment, so you have to have some initiative in making sure you get north. I would live in Wymount north again, but never in wymount south.

P.S. To be more clear, the south has the cinder blocks painted over (think MTC with painted walls), as where the north apts. are nice and new(er). A steal for the price, hence the difficulty in getting a spot there.
unfortunately my fiance really likes the idea of living at wymount. we haven't toured the apartments yet. one thing that looks attractive is the option to rent furniture for dirt cheap. i don't really want to live there and from what the few people have said on here it sounds pretty bad. lead paint, paper-thin walls, no ac...then again it's seems like a good location. i guess i will find out more next weekend but if there is any more insight you guys can offer i would appreciate it.

justcap

New

Post by justcap » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:48 pm

erico wrote: unfortunately my fiance really likes the idea of living at wymount. we haven't toured the apartments yet. one thing that looks attractive is the option to rent furniture for dirt cheap. i don't really want to live there and from what the few people have said on here it sounds pretty bad. lead paint, paper-thin walls, no ac...then again it's seems like a good location. i guess i will find out more next weekend but if there is any more insight you guys can offer i would appreciate it.
I haven't lived in Wymount (nor anywhere in Provo) but my wife and I visited some friends there and it really is kind of a dumpy place. I don't know anything about the furniture for rent, but it's probably dirt cheap for a reason. They also complained of big spiders being frequent visitors inside and outside of their apt.
I drove by the Wyview(?) apts when I was down a couple weeks ago and they looked pretty nice, but I don't know anything about them or how to get on the list for those.

tyjole

New

Post by tyjole » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:06 pm

justcap wrote:
erico wrote: unfortunately my fiance really likes the idea of living at wymount. we haven't toured the apartments yet. one thing that looks attractive is the option to rent furniture for dirt cheap. i don't really want to live there and from what the few people have said on here it sounds pretty bad. lead paint, paper-thin walls, no ac...then again it's seems like a good location. i guess i will find out more next weekend but if there is any more insight you guys can offer i would appreciate it.
I haven't lived in Wymount (nor anywhere in Provo) but my wife and I visited some friends there and it really is kind of a dumpy place. I don't know anything about the furniture for rent, but it's probably dirt cheap for a reason. They also complained of big spiders being frequent visitors inside and outside of their apt.
I drove by the Wyview(?) apts when I was down a couple weeks ago and they looked pretty nice, but I don't know anything about them or how to get on the list for those.
I am the one who first asked the question about Wymount, and just recently moved in a few weeks ago, so I can give you my impressions on it so far. First of all, everyone above that said stay away from South Wymount is right. Compared to the North Wymount place I snagged up the South Wymount is bad. But living where I am I love it. The location is great. The apartment isn't very big square foot wise, but everything we have fits just fine and its quite comfortable for us. My thurmostat has a setting for cool and a fan, which is AC (something someone above said doesn't exist), but whether that works I could tell you in the summer. I turned it on and it blew cold air though. There is no lead paint in our aparment. They make you sign the waiver since the South was built pre-1978, but they also state that they have knowledge that lead paint wasn't used in the buildings. The carpet and linoleum aren't the most attractive but still in good condition. They are putting new carpet and flooring in our apartment this summer they said.

The ward there is fantastic. You have so many nice neighbors and people wanting to get to know you and they are always having activities to keep you entertained.

For the price, you won't find a 3 bedroom place with cable and internet, with all utilities paid except electric for 715. Just doesn't happen. I walked home from the Admitted students day and it took a little more than ten minutes. So not bad at all.

In my opinion North Wymount is a great place for a married couple or small family. Its cheap, close, and in great shape. Although it may be smaller than other places you can rent, you'll be paying close to 250-400 more a month to have all the amenities you have at Wymount. Hope that helps. If you have any more questions PM me. Also if you're coming by next week I'd be willing to give you a tour of my place if they don't have one for you to tour.

Note: I don't know much about the rented furniture, I looked into it, but never saw any of the pieces they have. So can't help you there.

eattrucks

New

Post by eattrucks » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:40 pm

justcap wrote:
About 3 years ago they kicked all of the couples out of Wyview and made it single student housing. It's possible that they still have some of it available to couples and that I am mistaken, but I would look closer. In any case, if they are available they are nicer than Wymount.

erico

Bronze

Post by erico » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:51 pm

eattrucks wrote:
justcap wrote:
About 3 years ago they kicked all of the couples out of Wyview and made it single student housing. It's possible that they still have some of it available to couples and that I am mistaken, but I would look closer. In any case, if they are available they are nicer than Wymount.
Wyview doesn't come up under school affiliated married housing on the website but I'll look into it more. Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:01 pm

tyjole wrote:
justcap wrote:
erico wrote:
For the price, you won't find a 3 bedroom place with cable and internet, with all utilities paid except electric for 715. Just doesn't happen.
There are actually tons of pretty nice apartments in the area for around 600 that are bigger than the wymount apts. Utilities for an apartment are pretty cheap, and cable is usually included. I had a friend that lived in there an regretted it. My wife and in Provo while she went to grad school at the Y, and our apartment was 560 a month (2 bd, 900 square feet.) 5 minute bike ride to school. (this was last year, but my friend lives in the same apartments, and their rent hasn't gone up.)

There are definitely some advantages to living in campus housing, but there are also comparable rents in the area and nicer apartments, especially if you are willing to drive/take the bus. My opinion of the Wymount apts was horrible, and my friend moved out after a couple months because he hated it. He lived in the nicer ones too, I think.

YMMV

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:29 am

So things are starting to come down to the wire on decision making. I realize a lot of you have already made the decision to go to BYU, and those that have decided to go elsewhere have probably left the thread. Right now my wife and I (mainly just me inside my head) are endlessly debating BYU/UA v. T14. I'm curious to know, how many of you have decided to forego a T14 offer for BYU? How many of you are still deciding?

soonergirl

Bronze

Post by soonergirl » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:30 am

sundevil77 wrote:So things are starting to come down to the wire on decision making. I realize a lot of you have already made the decision to go to BYU, and those that have decided to go elsewhere have probably left the thread. Right now my wife and I (mainly just me inside my head) are endlessly debating BYU/UA v. T14. I'm curious to know, how many of you have decided to forego a T14 offer for BYU? How many of you are still deciding?
It might help if you provide some insight as to what you see as the advantages of BYU vs the other schools. I assume you have full ride at BYU.

Looking at your offers (I assume that's you with the same name at LSN), it looks like Texas might be a good option. That's a great scholarship offer at a great school. And it's a big enough school that there's going to be a significant LDS presence, too. Plus you'd be sitting on the winning side when the Cougars visit Austin in 2011. :mrgreen:

Seriously, though do you know where you want to settle long-term? Are you wanting to settle in Utah? Keep in mind that the legal market in Utah is supersaturated, and if you go to BYU or UU you'll be one of hundreds of other 2013 grads with the same degree looking for employment in the area. OTOH, a degree from a t14 will set you apart out there.

If you're wanting to settle elsewhere, Texas or Georgetown will probably give you more options. Georgetown places really well in DC/NY, so if you know you want that area, you might see if Georgetown will up their offer closer to Texas's.

If I were you, the only reason I'd opt for BYU is if 1) you just absolutely can't take on any debt load at all, or 2) your wife has family or some other reason why you need to be in the SLC area while you're in school, or 3) the LDS setting is just that important to you and your wife. This is not to say that BYU's not a good school, just that given your options it might not be the most strategic move for you personally.

eattrucks

New

Post by eattrucks » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:00 am

sundevil77 wrote:So things are starting to come down to the wire on decision making. I realize a lot of you have already made the decision to go to BYU, and those that have decided to go elsewhere have probably left the thread. Right now my wife and I (mainly just me inside my head) are endlessly debating BYU/UA v. T14. I'm curious to know, how many of you have decided to forego a T14 offer for BYU? How many of you are still deciding?
Are you on hold at Harvard? I think I've seen both you and soonergirl on that board. I am trying to decide between UVA, Michigan, and a Harvard hold. I would take Chicago or hold out for H or S with a deposit down at BYU, unless there are major considerations regarding needing a good place for your wife and kids (Chicago isn't in the best neighborhood).

Frankly though, between BYU and UA I don't think there is much to consider. BYU has a killer network, and the upper portion of the class does much better than you could realistically do from UA.

I think it all will come down to the feeling you get when you visit and pray about it. I talked to Dean Rasband yesterday and he said that different schools have different advantages and it is hard to choose just based on objective criteria. He said that visiting is important and getting a sense of the general feel of the school and if you feel that it fits your desires and goals.

Hope this helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

soonergirl

Bronze

Post by soonergirl » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:02 pm

eattrucks wrote:Frankly though, between BYU and UA I don't think there is much to consider. BYU has a killer network, and the upper portion of the class does much better than you could realistically do from UA.
yeah, I definitely agree with this.

The thing about holding out for Harvard is whether you want to take on the loans. My LDS friends who have taken on the loans at top five are telling me now (five years later) that if they could do it over again they'd skip the loans and opt for financial solvency, which of course is in keeping with the church's teachings to begin with, I suppose.

I personally wouldn't pass up an 85k loan at UT for sticker at Harvard, but it depends on your life situation and your career goals. I'm in a much different position than most of you are. And if you're wanting to clerk for Alito (or something like that), then obviously you want to be at Harvard or Stanford, no matter the cost.

yeast master

New

Post by yeast master » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:35 pm

I had a ~1/3 tuition offer at Duke, which was our first choice. If I was younger, didn't have a bunch of kids, and/or didn't already have a bunch of debt, I would probably go for it. The location and job prospects are very attractive. But my family and financial situations made it more prudent to go for BYU. I also have the advantage of good IP credentials, which should serve me well on the job market, so I feel like it's a little bit less of a risk to give up some law school prestige.

I would feel like I was in pretty good shape if I could get a T14 degree (or UT/Vandy/UCLA) and end up with less than $150k in total debt.

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:36 pm

yeast master wrote:
I had a ~1/3 tuition offer at Duke, which was our first choice. If I was younger, didn't have a bunch of kids, and/or didn't already have a bunch of debt, I would probably go for it. The location and job prospects are very attractive. But my family and financial situations made it more prudent to go for BYU. I also have the advantage of good IP credentials, which should serve me well on the job market, so I feel like it's a little bit less of a risk to give up some law school prestige.

I would feel like I was in pretty good shape if I could get a T14 degree (or UT/Vandy/UCLA) and end up with less than $150k in total debt.
That's interesting, Yeast Master. So, you feel that if you were a bit younger, didn't have as many kids, or didn't have debt from UG, you would go to a T14? If I were to say that I don't have kids yet, and I have no debt from UG, would you think I'm crazy to pass up the T14?

yeast master

New

Post by yeast master » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:20 am

sundevil77 wrote:
yeast master wrote:

That's interesting, Yeast Master. So, you feel that if you were a bit younger, didn't have as many kids, or didn't have debt from UG, you would go to a T14? If I were to say that I don't have kids yet, and I have no debt from UG, would you think I'm crazy to pass up the T14?
No, not at all. I think either choice is prudent for someone like you. If you go T14 you end up with a lot of debt, but you have a good shot at a big salary. The downside is that you're somewhat constrained in your career choice because you'll need the big salary to manage your debt. If you go to BYU/Arizona, you end up with much less debt and more freedom to pursue whatever career you want without being a prisoner to your debt. If you are looking for the big salary, BYU definitely opens those doors, but your chances are lower. You'll be totally fine, though, if big law doesn't work out. The only reason it would be crazy to go to BYU over a T14 is if your life's dream is academia or super-prestigious clerkships.

I can't know for sure what I'd do if my situation were different, but, like I said, I think I would probably go Duke if it wasn't going to cause my total debt upon graduation to be absurdly high. But that's not so much because it would be the more prudent choice, just that it would be my preference. My wife especially would like to live someplace new for a while, and we like warm weather. I would also like a better assurance of a big salary. But I'm somewhat confident that BYU will open the doors I need opened, and I do expect it will be a great experience.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nbp

New

Post by nbp » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:41 am

This is a little bittersweet, I just committed to the U. Have one whale of a year and good luck to all of you cougars.

You're welcome waitlisters.

justcap

New

Post by justcap » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:47 pm

I sent in my deposit today.

sundevil77

Bronze

Post by sundevil77 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:37 am

soonergirl wrote:
eattrucks wrote:Frankly though, between BYU and UA I don't think there is much to consider. BYU has a killer network, and the upper portion of the class does much better than you could realistically do from UA.
yeah, I definitely agree with this.
True, but they are ranked pretty similarly. While BYU may have a great network, UA has a hold on the Arizona legal market. I've been told that I would need to be top 10% at either school to have a good shot at a big Phoenix firm, and I think it would be significantly easier to do that in Tucson. At BYU's ASD I heard stories of some pretty stiff competition.

chad1209

New

Post by chad1209 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:56 pm

Hi everyone---I'm new to this thread, but wanted to ask you all something. I'm seriously considering BYU law school, but am wondering if it's "the one". Seems that the majority of people are married...does anyone know about social life or housing for single students?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

eattrucks

New

Post by eattrucks » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:16 pm

I've been over to the law school several times this year, and of the 10 or so students I have met all but 2 have been single. This may not be representative, but in any case there are single people at BYU.

chad1209

New

Post by chad1209 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:36 pm

Oh wow really? That's good to hear; I think everyone at my table on admitted students day was married. What about any non-LDS students, do we have any on this forum?

soonergirl

Bronze

Post by soonergirl » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:39 pm

chad1209 wrote:Oh wow really? That's good to hear; I think everyone at my table on admitted students day was married. What about any non-LDS students, do we have any on this forum?
JRCLS probably has more married students than any other school, but there are still lots of singles. But if I combine this post with your previous one and draw some inferences, I'm going to suggest that one issue you may face is that, while there are single women around, there aren't nearly as many as at other law schools (only 1/3 of the class is female), and nearly all of them are LDS. If dating potential is something you're taking into account in choosing a school, that's something you'll want to consider.

ps. Some people say it's actually better to be non-LDS @ BYU because you get more attention.

chad1209

New

Post by chad1209 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:55 am

soonergirl wrote:
chad1209 wrote:Oh wow really? That's good to hear; I think everyone at my table on admitted students day was married. What about any non-LDS students, do we have any on this forum?
JRCLS probably has more married students than any other school, but there are still lots of singles. But if I combine this post with your previous one and draw some inferences, I'm going to suggest that one issue you may face is that, while there are single women around, there aren't nearly as many as at other law schools (only 1/3 of the class is female), and nearly all of them are LDS. If dating potential is something you're taking into account in choosing a school, that's something you'll want to consider.

ps. Some people say it's actually better to be non-LDS @ BYU because you get more attention.
I'm definitely not uncomfortable about the thought of being a religious minority student at BYU---in fact, I think it would be a great experience. But, of course, I can't help but worry that it would make getting hired a lot more difficult---when Mormon lawyers find out I'm not LDS, they might be more reluctant to hire me, and when non-Mormon lawyers see that I went to BYU, they might unfortunately be prejudiced against me. Any thoughts?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

erico

Bronze

Post by erico » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:02 pm

chad1209 wrote:
soonergirl wrote:

I'm definitely not uncomfortable about the thought of being a religious minority student at BYU---in fact, I think it would be a great experience. But, of course, I can't help but worry that it would make getting hired a lot more difficult---when Mormon lawyers find out I'm not LDS, they might be more reluctant to hire me, and when non-Mormon lawyers see that I went to BYU, they might unfortunately be prejudiced against me. Any thoughts?
I don't think Mormon lawyers would snub you for not being LDS. I think the networking opportunities through the school would be just as viable. Of course, you won't have the full LDS network (through the church) but maybe you'll join in the next three years ;) totally kidding.

ashkenazy

New

Post by ashkenazy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:23 pm

chad1209 wrote:I'm definitely not uncomfortable about the thought of being a religious minority student at BYU---in fact, I think it would be a great experience. But, of course, I can't help but worry that it would make getting hired a lot more difficult---when Mormon lawyers find out I'm not LDS, they might be more reluctant to hire me, and when non-Mormon lawyers see that I went to BYU, they might unfortunately be prejudiced against me. Any thoughts?
I know there was a post some time ago from a non-LDS student who said that they faced the very problem that you're afraid of. I can't remember if that person faced the prejudice by non-LDS because of going to a LDS school, but I do remember him feeling like he was not given the same chances as LDS students with similar credentials.

Just because he felt like that way certainly doesn't mean that the difficulty he actually faced was based on his faith, though. I don't think he wore air-force-ones cowboy hat to his interviews, but who knows what the real reasons for getting hired/not getting hired really were.

I honestly could see some difficulty (it might be mostly mental), but I wouldn't see it being "a lot more difficult."

chad1209

New

Post by chad1209 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:22 pm

ashkenazy wrote:
chad1209 wrote:I'm definitely not uncomfortable about the thought of being a religious minority student at BYU---in fact, I think it would be a great experience. But, of course, I can't help but worry that it would make getting hired a lot more difficult---when Mormon lawyers find out I'm not LDS, they might be more reluctant to hire me, and when non-Mormon lawyers see that I went to BYU, they might unfortunately be prejudiced against me. Any thoughts?
I know there was a post some time ago from a non-LDS student who said that they faced the very problem that you're afraid of. I can't remember if that person faced the prejudice by non-LDS because of going to a LDS school, but I do remember him feeling like he was not given the same chances as LDS students with similar credentials.

Just because he felt like that way certainly doesn't mean that the difficulty he actually faced was based on his faith, though. I don't think he wore air-force-ones cowboy hat to his interviews, but who knows what the real reasons for getting hired/not getting hired really were.

I honestly could see some difficulty (it might be mostly mental), but I wouldn't see it being "a lot more difficult."
I agree, it's really difficult to assess if you're having a harder time getting hired because of your faith (or lack thereof) or whether it is really something else. Thanks a lot for your honest reply!

elcharanguista

New

Post by elcharanguista » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:22 am

I haven't read through all the thread or anything, but I graduated from BYU Law yesterday and am willing to answer any questions about the law school.

I did see a few questions and discussions throughout a few pages of the thread I quickly perused and thought I would give my two cents.

First, the grad parking lot next to the law school DOES get full, especially if you try to get spot anytime after 930 am or so. We have hypothesized that the lack of spaces is due to the new parking lot enforcement system (I can elaborate if needed).

Second, there were not many single folks in my class. As this is a concern for some people coming to BYU, know that there were about 30 singles in the entire class at the beginning of our 1L year, and several of them got married during their first year of law school after having already been in committed relationships prior to law school. So basically about 80% of my class was married when we started law school.

Third, it looked like there was a kid who is a non-mormon thinking about BYU Law. I do think that you may be at a disadvantage from both sides -- those mormons who figure out you are not mormon (and they probably will by looking at your resume) will not help you to the extent they would a mormon, and non-mormons will simply assume you are mormon which may negatively impact their perception of you. I am a non-mormon from outside Utah and was subject to these disadvantages at times. Will this happen in all or even most instances? Probably not. But in this economy you should probably avoid anything that will negatively impact your future career. However, it's all up to you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”