In at Stanford!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Amelie

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby Amelie » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:54 pm

Thanks for the info! It looks like you need a student ID to get on the housing list so I'll have to wait, but I'm going to call tomorrow to accept my position so hopefully I'll get it soon!

Munger looks amazing, I really hope that spot is available. I'm still in such shock and have so much to do! Another question - any idea how many students have cars / is one necessary? I don't have a car now, but could get one if necessary...

theadw

Postby theadw » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:32 am

Amelie wrote:Thanks for the info! It looks like you need a student ID to get on the housing list so I'll have to wait, but I'm going to call tomorrow to accept my position so hopefully I'll get it soon!

Munger looks amazing, I really hope that spot is available. I'm still in such shock and have so much to do! Another question - any idea how many students have cars / is one necessary? I don't have a car now, but could get one if necessary...

Unscientific sampling suggests that many (most?) folks on-campus & pretty much everyone off will have a car, but it's probably not necessary. One doesn't really need a car to get around Stanford & Palo Alto (or to & around San Francisco), but a car is probably needed for touristing outside of the city, which is a pretty worthy pursuit.

Lagunitan

Postby Lagunitan » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:58 pm

Amelie wrote:Thanks for the info! It looks like you need a student ID to get on the housing list so I'll have to wait, but I'm going to call tomorrow to accept my position so hopefully I'll get it soon!

From a Stanford UG (and life-long Palo Altan): you don't need a car for most basic errands in town. For grocery shopping and such, the Marguerite (Stanford's free shuttle system that goes around campus and into different parts of town) works fine. That said, as the above poster notes, you'll probably want a car just to get off of campus - while beautiful, Stanford will come to feel very insular after a while, especially if you're not in the UG social scene. Getting to San Francisco by Caltrain is alright, but not ideal, and the real difference-maker for me would be my ability to travel regularly into the gorgeous foothills (here's a recent taste from the NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/18/trave ... rneys.html), the ocean, Berkeley, Santa Cruz, etc. California is a state well worth having a car to see.

Also, while I don't know exactly what the housing terms are at SLS, I imagine that you probably wouldn't want to live in Munger for three years anyway. While housing prices overall in Palo Alto are off the wall, there are definitely nice places to be found for not too much if you know how to search, and I would much prefer spending some time off campus in a nice neighborhood than spending three years in a dorm.

Regardless, congrats, and enjoy your three years in the most beautiful part of this country.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:20 pm

Thanks for the advice, Lagunitan!

And I found out today that I was able to be placed in Munger - but in the most expensive option (premium studio). I'm not getting any aid whatsoever, and the extra cost (about $3000 for the year versus the 4 bedroom) is a major worry. But I guess I'm lucky to have been placed, at all, so I can't complain too much.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”