In at Stanford!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
ConMan345
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby ConMan345 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:30 pm

lawyering wrote:
clyde_barrow wrote:
lawyering wrote:
skynet wrote:Finaid from Stanford. Life just got complicated again. C.f. Kretzy's posts on same. I am stunned.


+1 -- yale, please consider a match!

did yale undershoot your offer from SLS? i'd be very impressed if stanford outdoes my YLS package.



Update: SLS gave me nearly twice the grants that YLS did, and when I asked YLS to match, i was completely turned down. Turns out they calculate expected contributions VERY differently (read: SLS does so far more kindly). Stanford just shot up 1,000,000 in my esteem. And Yale's in time out.


Have you gotten your HLS package yet?

lawyering
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:27 am

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby lawyering » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:31 pm

Yep. Slightly less than Yale. Though I'm in the running for one of the university-wide scholarships, which might actually put them above Yale. Sad.

User avatar
tomhobbes
Posts: 455
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby tomhobbes » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:33 pm

I feel kind of like I should've used up all my assets and bought a car before applying for financial aid.

User avatar
Herb Watchfell
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby Herb Watchfell » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:35 pm

tomhobbes wrote:I feel kind of like I should've used up all my assets and bought a car before applying for financial aid.


For your faith in me, I'll be happy to spot you some bling. How much you need, Hobo?

User avatar
ConMan345
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby ConMan345 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:35 pm

lawyering wrote:Yep. Slightly less than Yale. Though I'm in the running for one of the university-wide scholarships, which might actually put them above Yale. Sad.


Crazy, my HLS package was essentially the same as SLS.

legends159
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby legends159 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:35 pm

crackberry wrote:
Kretzy wrote:My folks are pestering me for a website to get Stanford gear. I saw the bookstore site, but is there somewhere with SLS stuff? My dad wants a hat.

Your best bet is probably to wait for ASW and then to pick something up at the physical bookstore. They definitely have some SLS stuff there.


--LinkRemoved--

or wait until ASW where the student law association will sell stuff. It's the same prices and you save on shipping.

User avatar
adameus
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:07 am

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby adameus » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:53 pm

tomhobbes wrote:I feel kind of like I should've used up all my assets and bought a car before applying for financial aid.



exactly my thoughts! I feel like I am going to get less aid because I was financially responsible the last 3 years...

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby BioEBear2010 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:31 pm

Just received my financial aid package. All loans (as expected), but nearly twice as much as Yale. Crazy...

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby crackberry » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:33 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:Just received my financial aid package. All loans (as expected), but nearly twice as much as Yale. Crazy...

Wait, I don't get it. If it's all loans, how could it be twice as much as Yale?

User avatar
adameus
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:07 am

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby adameus » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:13 pm

crackberry wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:Just received my financial aid package. All loans (as expected), but nearly twice as much as Yale. Crazy...

Wait, I don't get it. If it's all loans, how could it be twice as much as Yale?


+1

User avatar
WhiskeyGuy
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:25 pm

adameus wrote:
crackberry wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:Just received my financial aid package. All loans (as expected), but nearly twice as much as Yale. Crazy...

Wait, I don't get it. If it's all loans, how could it be twice as much as Yale?


+1


Stanford is that good.

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby BioEBear2010 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:43 pm

crackberry wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:Just received my financial aid package. All loans (as expected), but nearly twice as much as Yale. Crazy...

Wait, I don't get it. If it's all loans, how could it be twice as much as Yale?

Sorry, that was somewhat misleading. Both schools offered me only loans (e.g. no grants), but the parental contribution is very different for both schools. According to the award letters, Stanford is offering me twice as much $$$ in loans as Yale is.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby crackberry » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:03 am

I still don't understand. Why does it matter how much they offer you in loans since you have to pay them all back anyway?

User avatar
smov_operator
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:45 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby smov_operator » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:26 am

Perhaps with Stanford, BioEBear2010's family will now have to come up with less immediate out of pocket costs or secure less private loans?

legends159
Posts: 1090
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:12 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby legends159 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:23 pm

crackberry wrote:I still don't understand. Why does it matter how much they offer you in loans since you have to pay them all back anyway?


perkins loan for example is subsidized (no interest while you're in school and 5% interest after. It's the best loan you can get. SLS just got an influx of that money from the university so that might matter.

How they calculate parental contribution for the fafsa could be the difference between getting the full 20,500 in stafford loans or less.

Not all loans are the same. They definitely rank like this:

Perkins
Stafford subsidized
Stafford unsubsidized (6.8% interest)
GradPlus (6.8% interest)
Private

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby BioEBear2010 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:39 pm

smov_operator wrote:Perhaps with Stanford, BioEBear2010's family will now have to come up with less immediate out of pocket costs or secure less private loans?

Yup. Student loans on the whole tend to have better interest rates than, say, bank loans. If I were to go to Stanford, my family would have to contribute less up front.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby crackberry » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:45 pm

Ok got it.

User avatar
skynet
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:40 am

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby skynet » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:05 pm

I just discovered that I will need to get hold of my parents' tax returns for the last 5 years to give to Stanford's financial aid office, so that they can confirm that my parents have not been claiming me as a dependent. A small price to pay for a big fellowship, but sort of absurd, considering that I will be 31 when I start school there. Anyway, just thought I'd throw this out there for any other independent students who are receiving grants from SLS.

User avatar
smov_operator
Posts: 177
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:45 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby smov_operator » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:06 pm

skynet wrote:I just discovered that I will need to get hold of my parents' tax returns for the last 5 years to give to Stanford's financial aid office, so that they can confirm that my parents have not been claiming me as a dependent. A small price to pay for a big fellowship, but sort of absurd, considering that I will be 31 when I start school there. Anyway, just thought I'd throw this out there for any other independent students who are receiving grants from SLS.



Yeah I thought that was pretty lame too when I saw it. A minor bump on the road to Stanford :lol:

pomegranate
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:50 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby pomegranate » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:01 am

I'm really looking forward to Admit Weekend!!

Does anyone want to share a room on Saturday, April 17th? I've already reserved a hotel room. Sorry guys... I'd only like to share with another woman. Please PM me if you are interested!

User avatar
The Dan
Posts: 107
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:48 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby The Dan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:08 am

pomegranate wrote:I'm really looking forward to Admit Weekend!!


Same here. This will be my first trip ever to the west coast :o

I'm afraid I'm going to fall in love with the weather and never want to come back.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:05 pm

The Dan wrote:
pomegranate wrote:I'm really looking forward to Admit Weekend!!


Same here. This will be my first trip ever to the west coast :o

I'm afraid I'm going to fall in love with the weather and never want to come back.


It's a safe bet. The same thing happened for me in undergrad. :wink:

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby Kretzy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:54 pm

Who's all coming to Minority Preview Day during ASW?

Can't wait to visit! Never been to Palo Alto, so it'll be good to see where I'll be spending the next 3 years :D

lawyering
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:27 am

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby lawyering » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:57 pm

Re: S vs. Y, found out Yale does not have Perkins loans to give out. Strange.

User avatar
ConMan345
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby ConMan345 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:58 pm

Kretzy wrote:Who's all coming to Minority Preview Day during ASW?

Can't wait to visit! Never been to Palo Alto, so it'll be good to see where I'll be spending the next 3 years :D


I am! (but you already knew that)

There isn't a cloud in the sky this morning :D




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”