In at Stanford!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:18 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:lol this free shirt business is really making me consider applying to stanford, just for a shot at that hahaha

(im being facetious, but not really)


LOL, it was way too big for me (I'm a small guy) and I preferred the HLS sticker anyway.

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby Kretzy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:14 am

managamy wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:lol this free shirt business is really making me consider applying to stanford, just for a shot at that hahaha

(im being facetious, but not really)


LOL, it was way too big for me (I'm a small guy) and I preferred the HLS sticker anyway.


I might be wearing mine now. Refrain from judgment.

User avatar
rowlf
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:55 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby rowlf » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:37 am

Kretzy wrote:
managamy wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:lol this free shirt business is really making me consider applying to stanford, just for a shot at that hahaha

(im being facetious, but not really)


LOL, it was way too big for me (I'm a small guy) and I preferred the HLS sticker anyway.


I might be wearing mine now. Refrain from judgment.


I'm wearing mine. Feels great. I can't wait till ASW. As an East Coaster, I don't know how to feel about actually going until I'm there. I haven't been to the West Coast since I was a little kid.

lawyering
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:27 am

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby lawyering » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:14 am

my ideal choice: berkeley (the city), palo alto (the weather), and harvard (campus). why can't we have it all??

lawyering
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:27 am

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby lawyering » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:16 am

P.S. anyone else thinking about going to both Berkeley and Stanford's ASWs? Not sure they'll refund the airfare if I don't fly east coast to west coast twice, two weekends back to back. Maybe they'll make an exception?

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:21 am

lawyering wrote:my ideal choice: berkeley (the city), palo alto (the weather), and harvard (campus). why can't we have it all??


+a lot.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby crackberry » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:25 am

lawyering wrote:P.S. anyone else thinking about going to both Berkeley and Stanford's ASWs? Not sure they'll refund the airfare if I don't fly east coast to west coast twice, two weekends back to back. Maybe they'll make an exception?

I'll be going to both, but I live in the Bay Area so it'll be pretty easy for me.

lawyering
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:27 am

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby lawyering » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:33 am

crackberry wrote:
lawyering wrote:P.S. anyone else thinking about going to both Berkeley and Stanford's ASWs? Not sure they'll refund the airfare if I don't fly east coast to west coast twice, two weekends back to back. Maybe they'll make an exception?

I'll be going to both, but I live in the Bay Area so it'll be pretty easy for me.


Have a favorite as of now?

FZJ80
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:40 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby FZJ80 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:43 am

managamy wrote:
lawyering wrote:my ideal choice: berkeley (the city), palo alto (the weather), and harvard (campus). why can't we have it all??


+a lot.


Palo Alto versus Berkeley weather are really not that different folks...

Image

jocelyne
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:15 am

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby jocelyne » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:50 am

...
Last edited by jocelyne on Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:59 am

FZJ80 wrote:
managamy wrote:
lawyering wrote:my ideal choice: berkeley (the city), palo alto (the weather), and harvard (campus). why can't we have it all??


+a lot.


Palo Alto versus Berkeley weather are really not that different folks...

Image


Yes, let's revise the formula.

City: Berkeley
Climate: UCSD
Campus buildings: Harvard
Campus atmosphere: Stanford
USNWR ranking: Yale

I would have applied ED to that amalgam.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby crackberry » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:48 am

lawyering wrote:
crackberry wrote:
lawyering wrote:P.S. anyone else thinking about going to both Berkeley and Stanford's ASWs? Not sure they'll refund the airfare if I don't fly east coast to west coast twice, two weekends back to back. Maybe they'll make an exception?

I'll be going to both, but I live in the Bay Area so it'll be pretty easy for me.


Have a favorite as of now?

Stanford was my No. 1 going in, so definitely SLS. I think the only thing that could change the game for me at this point would be a Yale acceptance or serious $$$ at Chicago (both of which are highly unlikely and neither of which, in the end, would sway me from SLS I don't think).

User avatar
jsoell
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:34 am

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby jsoell » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:07 am

Crackberry - why would neither of those sway you? What is it about SLS or Stanford in general?

crackberry wrote:
lawyering wrote:
crackberry wrote:
lawyering wrote:P.S. anyone else thinking about going to both Berkeley and Stanford's ASWs? Not sure they'll refund the airfare if I don't fly east coast to west coast twice, two weekends back to back. Maybe they'll make an exception?

I'll be going to both, but I live in the Bay Area so it'll be pretty easy for me.


Have a favorite as of now?

Stanford was my No. 1 going in, so definitely SLS. I think the only thing that could change the game for me at this point would be a Yale acceptance or serious $$$ at Chicago (both of which are highly unlikely and neither of which, in the end, would sway me from SLS I don't think).

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby Kretzy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:51 am

lawyering wrote:P.S. anyone else thinking about going to both Berkeley and Stanford's ASWs? Not sure they'll refund the airfare if I don't fly east coast to west coast twice, two weekends back to back. Maybe they'll make an exception?


I'm going to both (work schedule permitting). I'm flying from Denver, though, so the trip isn't particularly bad.

User avatar
rowlf
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:55 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby rowlf » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:22 am

managamy wrote:
FZJ80 wrote:
managamy wrote:
lawyering wrote:my ideal choice: berkeley (the city), palo alto (the weather), and harvard (campus). why can't we have it all??


+a lot.


Palo Alto versus Berkeley weather are really not that different folks...

Image


Yes, let's revise the formula.

City: Berkeley
Climate: UCSD
Campus buildings: Harvard
Campus atmosphere: Stanford
USNWR ranking: Yale

I would have applied ED to that amalgam.


Campus buildings Harvard? It's okay, but I'm not that into all that brick.

I think Gothic is always better, so I would put Yale, Michigan, and (I believe) Duke in front of Harvard in the building department.

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby Kretzy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:05 pm

rowlf wrote:
managamy wrote:
FZJ80 wrote:
managamy wrote:+a lot.


Palo Alto versus Berkeley weather are really not that different folks...

Image


Yes, let's revise the formula.

City: Berkeley
Climate: UCSD
Campus buildings: Harvard
Campus atmosphere: Stanford
USNWR ranking: Yale

I would have applied ED to that amalgam.


Campus buildings Harvard? It's okay, but I'm not that into all that brick.

I think Gothic is always better, so I would put Yale, Michigan, and (I believe) Duke in front of Harvard in the building department.


Duke is a very attractive building, but nothing near gothic. Definitely soft tones, integrated into the landscape. I was impressed by the building (sadly, my favorite thing about Duke when I visited), but I'd take Langdell Hall over Duke's building anytime, appearance-wise.

User avatar
ndnlawdc
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:09 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby ndnlawdc » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:53 pm

No love for the brutalist SLS building? ;)

FWIW, the law library (where you'll spend a lot of time) is actually very nice, and way less crowded than that of other schools. The new building also looks to be quite nice.

And some would argue that architecture matters less than palm trees.

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby Kretzy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:57 pm

Is anyone else considering a joint degree? With a 3-year MA/JD, for example, does anyone know how that impacts your schedule?

(maybe someone who's already at SLS is needed to answer this)

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby crackberry » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:45 pm

Kretzy wrote:Is anyone else considering a joint degree? With a 3-year MA/JD, for example, does anyone know how that impacts your schedule?

(maybe someone who's already at SLS is needed to answer this)

I am definitely considering a joint JD/MA in international policy studies. I know many of the professors who teach IPS and really like them so it seems like an awesome option.

Also, Kretzy, I thought you lived in CT? How are you flying from Denver to California?

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby crackberry » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:47 pm

ndnlawdc wrote:No love for the brutalist SLS building? ;)

FWIW, the law library (where you'll spend a lot of time) is actually very nice, and way less crowded than that of other schools. The new building also looks to be quite nice.

And some would argue that architecture matters less than palm trees.

Also, Stanford's gym and athletic facilities in general are about 10 million times better than its peers', for what that's worth.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby crackberry » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:49 pm

jsoell wrote:Crackberry - why would neither of those sway you? What is it about SLS or Stanford in general?

I want to live/work in California, I love Stanford's weather and quality of life is more important to me than it seems to be to most people on TLS. All these things point to Stanford over Yale or Chicago (or anywhere else for that matter).

User avatar
rowlf
Posts: 167
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:55 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby rowlf » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:15 pm

Kretzy wrote:Is anyone else considering a joint degree? With a 3-year MA/JD, for example, does anyone know how that impacts your schedule?

(maybe someone who's already at SLS is needed to answer this)


I am. I like school. :) Need to think about my goals a bit, though. I'm not entirely sure what it would be in...

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby Kretzy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:45 pm

crackberry wrote:
Kretzy wrote:Is anyone else considering a joint degree? With a 3-year MA/JD, for example, does anyone know how that impacts your schedule?

(maybe someone who's already at SLS is needed to answer this)

I am definitely considering a joint JD/MA in international policy studies. I know many of the professors who teach IPS and really like them so it seems like an awesome option.

Also, Kretzy, I thought you lived in CT? How are you flying from Denver to California?


Yeah, I'm thinking JD/MA in History. Looks like I need to take the GRE.

And Crackberry: I'm actually moving back to Colorado in 2 weeks, so I'll be flying out from there when I visit.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby crackberry » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:56 pm

Kretzy wrote:
crackberry wrote:
Kretzy wrote:Is anyone else considering a joint degree? With a 3-year MA/JD, for example, does anyone know how that impacts your schedule?

(maybe someone who's already at SLS is needed to answer this)

I am definitely considering a joint JD/MA in international policy studies. I know many of the professors who teach IPS and really like them so it seems like an awesome option.

Also, Kretzy, I thought you lived in CT? How are you flying from Denver to California?


Yeah, I'm thinking JD/MA in History. Looks like I need to take the GRE.

And Crackberry: I'm actually moving back to Colorado in 2 weeks, so I'll be flying out from there when I visit.

After the LSAT, the GRE is like a 6th grade math test.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:06 pm

@Kretzy: The History Department is terrific (I'm currently majoring in it), and the Masters candidates are a fascinating group. PM me if you want details.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”