In at Stanford!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby crackberry » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:59 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:Another question for those familiar with the area: what shuttle service do you recommend? (Preferably one that doesn't charge more than $26.)

SuperShuttle is $25 (incl. tip) from SFO or SJC I believe. It's $40-$50 from Oakland.

If you're flying into SFO, you don't need a reservation. SJC and OAK require SuperShuttle reservations.

User avatar
ConMan345
Posts: 577
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby ConMan345 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:03 pm

crackberry wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:Another question for those familiar with the area: what shuttle service do you recommend? (Preferably one that doesn't charge more than $26.)

SuperShuttle is $25 (incl. tip) from SFO or SJC I believe. It's $40-$50 from Oakland.

If you're flying into SFO, you don't need a reservation. SJC and OAK require SuperShuttle reservations.


As far as SJC, you can also not make a reservation and catch a (likely) non-SuperShuttle shared-ride van for (I think) $28 last time I used 'em.

User avatar
WhiskeyGuy
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:10 pm

crackberry wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:Another question for those familiar with the area: what shuttle service do you recommend? (Preferably one that doesn't charge more than $26.)

SuperShuttle is $25 (incl. tip) from SFO or SJC I believe. It's $40-$50 from Oakland.

If you're flying into SFO, you don't need a reservation. SJC and OAK require SuperShuttle reservations.


Thanks dude.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby crackberry » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:12 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:
crackberry wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:Another question for those familiar with the area: what shuttle service do you recommend? (Preferably one that doesn't charge more than $26.)

SuperShuttle is $25 (incl. tip) from SFO or SJC I believe. It's $40-$50 from Oakland.

If you're flying into SFO, you don't need a reservation. SJC and OAK require SuperShuttle reservations.


Thanks dude.

Yes, you will need a reservation from Stanford-->any airport. The only time you wouldn't need a rez is SFO-Stanford (there is a SuperShuttle stand outside baggage claim with vans waiting). You can make one anyway if you want, but you don't have to.

User avatar
WhiskeyGuy
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:21 pm

crackberry wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:
crackberry wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:Another question for those familiar with the area: what shuttle service do you recommend? (Preferably one that doesn't charge more than $26.)

SuperShuttle is $25 (incl. tip) from SFO or SJC I believe. It's $40-$50 from Oakland.

If you're flying into SFO, you don't need a reservation. SJC and OAK require SuperShuttle reservations.


Thanks dude.

Yes, you will need a reservation from Stanford-->any airport. The only time you wouldn't need a rez is SFO-Stanford (there is a SuperShuttle stand outside baggage claim with vans waiting). You can make one anyway if you want, but you don't have to.


Thanks, that's very helpful. I am arriving one day early to visit a friend, and so explaining to SuperShuttle why I need a reservation from the airport the day after my flight might have proved burdensome.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby crackberry » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:23 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:Thanks, that's very helpful. I am arriving one day early to visit a friend, and so explaining to SuperShuttle why I need a reservation from the airport the day after my flight might have proved burdensome.

Haha wait. You're going to visit your friend and then get to the airport only to take a shuttle to Stanford? Where does the friend live? There might be an easier way.

User avatar
anmo
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby anmo » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:25 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:Thanks, that's very helpful. I am arriving one day early to visit a friend, and so explaining to SuperShuttle why I need a reservation from the airport the day after my flight might have proved burdensome.


Same here. Flying into SFO Thursday and was hoping to take the shuttle on Friday morning. I think I might actually take Caltrain down though, it's just a mile or so from my hotel and would be a bit cheaper. Any reviews of Caltrain?

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby crackberry » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:28 pm

anmo wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:Thanks, that's very helpful. I am arriving one day early to visit a friend, and so explaining to SuperShuttle why I need a reservation from the airport the day after my flight might have proved burdensome.


Same here. Flying into SFO Thursday and was hoping to take the shuttle on Friday morning. I think I might actually take Caltrain down though, it's just a mile or so from my hotel and would be a bit cheaper. Any reviews of Caltrain?

CalTrain from SF-Stanford will cost you $6 each way. It's clean, easy and takes approx 45 minutes to an hour. It drops you off right next to the downtown Palo Alto hotels from which Stanford is running the free shuttles. It departs SF very often on weekday mornings and there are express trains that take only 30 minutes. There are two Caltrain stops in SF. One at 4th and King (near AT&T Park) and one at 22nd and Pennsylvania (in Potrero Hill).

http://www.caltrain.com/schedule.html

User avatar
anmo
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:50 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby anmo » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:42 pm

crackberry wrote:
anmo wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:Thanks, that's very helpful. I am arriving one day early to visit a friend, and so explaining to SuperShuttle why I need a reservation from the airport the day after my flight might have proved burdensome.


Same here. Flying into SFO Thursday and was hoping to take the shuttle on Friday morning. I think I might actually take Caltrain down though, it's just a mile or so from my hotel and would be a bit cheaper. Any reviews of Caltrain?

CalTrain from SF-Stanford will cost you $6 each way. It's clean, easy and takes approx 45 minutes to an hour. It drops you off right next to the downtown Palo Alto hotels from which Stanford is running the free shuttles. It departs SF very often on weekday mornings and there are express trains that take only 30 minutes. There are two Caltrain stops in SF. One at 4th and King (near AT&T Park) and one at 22nd and Pennsylvania (in Potrero Hill).

http://www.caltrain.com/schedule.html


very brochuresque... nice

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby crackberry » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:49 pm

anmo wrote:very brochuresque... nice

Haha, you're welcome. I don't take Caltrain that much because it costs $12 round trip ($6 each way) and that's not any less than what gas costs to drive the 70 or so miles round trip from San Francisco, but it is pretty easy, and it's definitely a better option than taking BART to the airport and then a shuttle to campus.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28282
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby Kronk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:50 pm

crackberry wrote:
anmo wrote:very brochuresque... nice

Haha, you're welcome. I don't take Caltrain that much because it costs $12 round trip ($6 each way) and that's not any less than what gas costs to drive the 70 or so miles round trip from San Francisco, but it is pretty easy, and it's definitely a better option than taking BART to the airport and then a shuttle to campus.


I like the Caltrain personally.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby crackberry » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:51 pm

Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:
anmo wrote:very brochuresque... nice

Haha, you're welcome. I don't take Caltrain that much because it costs $12 round trip ($6 each way) and that's not any less than what gas costs to drive the 70 or so miles round trip from San Francisco, but it is pretty easy, and it's definitely a better option than taking BART to the airport and then a shuttle to campus.


I like the Caltrain personally.

Well yes, so do I, but it's not really that cheap. No cheaper than driving (though I suppose then you have to worry about parking at Stanford, which is not free unless you know the secret spots). It also doesn't run that late so students can't go up to SF to go out and then plan to take CalTrain home. It stops at midnight.

You can openly drink on Caltrain though. That's pretty cool.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28282
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby Kronk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:54 pm

crackberry wrote:
Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:
anmo wrote:very brochuresque... nice

Haha, you're welcome. I don't take Caltrain that much because it costs $12 round trip ($6 each way) and that's not any less than what gas costs to drive the 70 or so miles round trip from San Francisco, but it is pretty easy, and it's definitely a better option than taking BART to the airport and then a shuttle to campus.


I like the Caltrain personally.

Well yes, so do I, but it's not really that cheap. No cheaper than driving (though I suppose then you have to worry about parking at Stanford, which is not free unless you know the secret spots). It also doesn't run that late so students can't go up to SF to go out and then plan to take CalTrain home. It stops at midnight.

You can openly drink on Caltrain though. That's pretty cool.


Yeah plus there are TABLES next to your seats.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby crackberry » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:57 pm

Kronk wrote:Yeah plus there are TABLES next to your seats.

Only in some cars.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28282
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby Kronk » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:00 pm

crackberry wrote:
Kronk wrote:Yeah plus there are TABLES next to your seats.

Only in some cars.


I've only been on it like four times.

User avatar
WhiskeyGuy
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby WhiskeyGuy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:53 pm

crackberry wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:Thanks, that's very helpful. I am arriving one day early to visit a friend, and so explaining to SuperShuttle why I need a reservation from the airport the day after my flight might have proved burdensome.

Haha wait. You're going to visit your friend and then get to the airport only to take a shuttle to Stanford? Where does the friend live? There might be an easier way.


Ya! Ever heard of anyone doing that? He lives in an awkward part of SF; getting from his house to Stanford via Caltrain would require some messy Jujitsu. Heading back to SFO via BART and grabbing a shuttle to Stanford would be quicker and simpler. And since we are reimbursed up to $26 each way, I'd be paying only a few bucks.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby crackberry » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:00 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:
crackberry wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:Thanks, that's very helpful. I am arriving one day early to visit a friend, and so explaining to SuperShuttle why I need a reservation from the airport the day after my flight might have proved burdensome.

Haha wait. You're going to visit your friend and then get to the airport only to take a shuttle to Stanford? Where does the friend live? There might be an easier way.


Ya! Ever heard of anyone doing that? He lives in an awkward part of SF; getting from his house to Stanford via Caltrain would require some messy Jujitsu. Heading back to SFO via BART and grabbing a shuttle to Stanford would be quicker and simpler. And since we are reimbursed up to $26 each way, I'd be paying only a few bucks.

Hmm alright, fair enough. I'm trying to imagine what "an awkward part of SF" is, given that it's close to BART but not CalTrain. Daly City or something? Anyway, whatever floats your boat WhiskeyMan.

User avatar
coollegemex
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:01 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby coollegemex » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:50 pm

Kretzy wrote:
Renaixença wrote:
coollegemex wrote:I can't log into the admitted site anymore...it doesn't even recognize my name or email address. Dean Faye realized her mistake lol


]


Yeah, I'm not going to quote that to dignify it, but mods?

Seriously, dude, GTFO.



Did that guy say something crazy about me? haha... I appreciate the drama even if I didn't get to catch it. Oh, and they had to "refresh" the site for me if anybody else runs into that problem in the future.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby CardinalRules » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:08 am

coollegemex wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
Renaixença wrote:
coollegemex wrote:I can't log into the admitted site anymore...it doesn't even recognize my name or email address. Dean Faye realized her mistake lol


]


Yeah, I'm not going to quote that to dignify it, but mods?

Seriously, dude, GTFO.



Did that guy say something crazy about me? haha... I appreciate the drama even if I didn't get to catch it. Oh, and they had to "refresh" the site for me if anybody else runs into that problem in the future.


I didn't see him post anything here, so I'm a bit confused. Kretzy's a pretty relaxed guy, so to hear him say GTFO means that it was pretty bad.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby im_blue » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:10 am

WhiskeyGuy wrote:
crackberry wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:Thanks, that's very helpful. I am arriving one day early to visit a friend, and so explaining to SuperShuttle why I need a reservation from the airport the day after my flight might have proved burdensome.

Haha wait. You're going to visit your friend and then get to the airport only to take a shuttle to Stanford? Where does the friend live? There might be an easier way.


Ya! Ever heard of anyone doing that? He lives in an awkward part of SF; getting from his house to Stanford via Caltrain would require some messy Jujitsu. Heading back to SFO via BART and grabbing a shuttle to Stanford would be quicker and simpler. And since we are reimbursed up to $26 each way, I'd be paying only a few bucks.


Why not take the BART to Millbrae, and then take the Caltrain to Palo Alto? The shuttle will likely make multiple stops on the way from SFO, unless the van is filled with Stanford-bound people.

User avatar
ndnlawdc
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:09 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby ndnlawdc » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:27 am

Couple of notes to add:

For those considering Caltrain, Stanford's Marguerite shuttle meets almost every train. Line B comes quite close to the law school, and Line A is within shouting distance. The buses are on the southbound side of the tracks. It's about as easy as it can get.

You'll only have to worry about parking on Friday (visitor parking is $12 max per day) and Monday. Parking on Saturday and Sunday is free. The easiest place (by far) to park is in the parking garage below Wilbur Field, on Campus Drive. Visitor parking is on the top level of the garage.

And yes, Stanford is so awesome that the garage is underground and a perfect sports field is preserved on top. None of this four-story parking eyesore crap for us.

User avatar
Laina
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby Laina » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:30 am

coollegemex wrote:
Kretzy wrote:
Renaixença wrote:
coollegemex wrote:I can't log into the admitted site anymore...it doesn't even recognize my name or email address. Dean Faye realized her mistake lol


]


Yeah, I'm not going to quote that to dignify it, but mods?

Seriously, dude, GTFO.



Did that guy say something crazy about me? haha... I appreciate the drama even if I didn't get to catch it. Oh, and they had to "refresh" the site for me if anybody else runs into that problem in the future.


No, it wasn't about you (or any other applicant).

User avatar
BioEBear2010
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:05 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby BioEBear2010 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:33 am

ndnlawdc wrote:And yes, Stanford is so awesome that the garage is underground and a perfect sports field is preserved on top. None of this four-story parking eyesore crap for us.

My friend broke his ankle on that field last semester while our chapter of TBP was playing Stanford's chapter in our "Little Big Game." Bad news bears.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby crackberry » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:27 am

ndnlawdc wrote:Parking on Saturday and Sunday is free.

To be fair, some spots on campus are 24/7.

User avatar
ndnlawdc
Posts: 177
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:09 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby ndnlawdc » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:30 am

crackberry wrote:
ndnlawdc wrote:Parking on Saturday and Sunday is free.

To be fair, some spots on campus are 24/7.


I guess that's true -- don't park in my EV parking lot. :) But most are 6-4, M-F. Everyone should just read the signs -- and in the garage nearly all are free.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, BuyaLittleMercy, draymondgreen, genjustice, GoGreen17, GOODWORKSTE, Google Adsense [Bot], jstans, premalone, proteinshake, sec_undergrad, Smc1994, stewhan, tinafeyclone, WamBam and 19 guests