In at Stanford!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:49 am

ConMan345 wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:Fair enough right back at you. :wink: But I'd imagine that if your admissions officers are complaining about over-entitlement, they're complaining about the type of entitlement that includes undue arrogance. I'd hold it against them if they were complaining about applicants who have the wrong expectations because of their poor upbringing.


I agree completely. :)



To crack and managamymaanynam or whatever, aren't you guys weary of staying at Stanford for 7-9 years??? What are your thoughts on this, as it's weighing on my mind? (I'd be here for eight)


It would be 7 years for me, and it does weigh on my mind. There is something to be said for the intellectual stimulation of moving to a completely new environment. On the other hand, my health is quite fragile, and moving to a new environment is not an unmitigated blessing if it is an environment that compromises my physical well-being. So overall I would say that the two issues balance each other out in my case.

The law school people don't really need to mix with the rest of the university except insofar as they wish, so it's not as though you would be spending your time with the same group of people. SLS classes are fairly diverse in many ways, and there wouldn't be a lot of continuity beyond whatever continuity that one seeks out of one's own choice.

chopsticks3092
Posts: 30
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:04 am

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby chopsticks3092 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:25 am

ConMan345 wrote:To crack and managamymaanynam or whatever, aren't you guys weary of staying at Stanford for 7-9 years??? What are your thoughts on this, as it's weighing on my mind? (I'd be here for eight)


If only I could stay at my UG for another 3 years. Damn LACs.

User avatar
skynet
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:40 am

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby skynet » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:26 am

crackberry wrote:And I'll be one of those 25 Stanford UGs at SLS next year.


Does this mean YLS is off the table now? Or is there an implied conditional here?

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby crackberry » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:46 pm

skynet wrote:
crackberry wrote:And I'll be one of those 25 Stanford UGs at SLS next year.


Does this mean YLS is off the table now? Or is there an implied conditional here?

I am merely assuming I will not get in to YLS.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby crackberry » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:49 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:Fair enough right back at you. :wink: But I'd imagine that if your admissions officers are complaining about over-entitlement, they're complaining about the type of entitlement that includes undue arrogance. I'd hold it against them if they were complaining about applicants who have the wrong expectations because of their poor upbringing.


I agree completely. :)



To crack and managamymaanynam or whatever, aren't you guys weary of staying at Stanford for 7-9 years??? What are your thoughts on this, as it's weighing on my mind? (I'd be here for eight)

Would be 7 years for me as well. It's definitely something I've thought about. To be honest, for me, as someone who wants to do environmental law, the top programs are likely going to be Yale, Stanford and Berkeley. I think it would be somewhat foolish to pick Berkeley having gotten into Stanford, so if that's out, it's really down to Yale and Stanford for me. Harvard's environmental program just simply isn't as good as YLS' or SLS', and its LRAP is much worse, so Harvard is off the table. If I get into Yale, it's going to be a tough call, but right now I think I'd probably go to New Haven.

Kretzy said YLS vs. SLS is 50/50 for him. For me, it's probably 60 Yale/40 Stanford at this point. That could change, though, given that I love California and hate the Northeast.

Also, I have to get into Yale first. If/when I don't, I will be going to SLS and won't really worry about it.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby crackberry » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:49 pm

Ahahaha I love this from the Admitted Students site:
Faye Deal wrote:Do not let weather be a primary factor in your decision to choose Stanford. Of course, the weather is nice and I will confess here that one of my favorite things every winter morning is to look at the weather map in the New York Times and see the snow icons all over the country except for where we live. Believe me, there is so much more to the place than the weather so do not place this criterion at the top of your list.

She says, basically, "Don't use the weather to make a decision. Yes, we have the best weather and everywhere else's weather sucks, but seriously, don't care about the weather."

User avatar
skynet
Posts: 134
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:40 am

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby skynet » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:57 pm

crackberry wrote:Ahahaha I love this from the Admitted Students site:
Faye Deal wrote:Do not let weather be a primary factor in your decision to choose Stanford. Of course, the weather is nice and I will confess here that one of my favorite things every winter morning is to look at the weather map in the New York Times and see the snow icons all over the country except for where we live. Believe me, there is so much more to the place than the weather so do not place this criterion at the top of your list.

She says, basically, "Don't use the weather to make a decision. Yes, we have the best weather and everywhere else's weather sucks, but seriously, don't care about the weather."
haha, I wonder if she is a mom. That is such a mom thing to say. "Don't worry about what I think. I just care about you and want what's best for you, but you've got to make your own decision. My opinion isn't important. I just want you to be happy."

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:57 pm

crackberry wrote:Ahahaha I love this from the Admitted Students site:
Faye Deal wrote:Do not let weather be a primary factor in your decision to choose Stanford. Of course, the weather is nice and I will confess here that one of my favorite things every winter morning is to look at the weather map in the New York Times and see the snow icons all over the country except for where we live. Believe me, there is so much more to the place than the weather so do not place this criterion at the top of your list.

She says, basically, "Don't use the weather to make a decision. Yes, we have the best weather and everywhere else's weather sucks, but seriously, don't care about the weather."


Classic Faye, really; sounds just like she did when I met with her. And I had no idea that you were more likely to take YLS than SLS should that situation arise. Have you always preferred Yale, or is it a recent change of mind?

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby crackberry » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:09 pm

CardinalRules wrote:And I had no idea that you were more likely to take YLS than SLS should that situation arise. Have you always preferred Yale, or is it a recent change of mind?

Well, honestly, I haven't decided yet. But after talking with friends and family, as well as a couple of attorneys I trust, I've come to the tentative conclusion that 1) having two schools on my resume is better than one 2) I'm not going to have any trouble coming back to California as a result of Stanford UG and, thus, a demonstrated interest in the state and 3) Yale would give me at least as good, if not better, clerkship opportunities as Stanford.

Finally, on the off chance I decide I want to teach, YLS >> SLS for that.

All that said, I could very well still pick SLS over YLS. I definitely would rather go to law school in California, and all my friends are out here. There is no small part of me that hopes I don't get into YLS and therefore don't have to make the decision.

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby CardinalRules » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:24 pm

crackberry wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:And I had no idea that you were more likely to take YLS than SLS should that situation arise. Have you always preferred Yale, or is it a recent change of mind?

Well, honestly, I haven't decided yet. But after talking with friends and family, as well as a couple of attorneys I trust, I've come to the tentative conclusion that 1) having two schools on my resume is better than one 2) I'm not going to have any trouble coming back to California as a result of Stanford UG and, thus, a demonstrated interest in the state and 3) Yale would give me at least as good, if not better, clerkship opportunities as Stanford.

Finally, on the off chance I decide I want to teach, YLS >> SLS for that.

All that said, I could very well still pick SLS over YLS. I definitely would rather go to law school in California, and all my friends are out here. There is no small part of me that hopes I don't get into YLS and therefore don't have to make the decision.


Very interesting; thanks for explaining your reasoning!

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28282
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby Kronk » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:09 pm

crackberry wrote:Kretzy said YLS vs. SLS is 50/50 for him. For me, it's probably 60 Yale/40 Stanford at this point. That could change, though, given that I love California and hate the Northeast.


I call shenanigans. I'd bet the house that Kretzy takes YLS if given the opportunity.

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby Kretzy » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:39 pm

Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:Kretzy said YLS vs. SLS is 50/50 for him. For me, it's probably 60 Yale/40 Stanford at this point. That could change, though, given that I love California and hate the Northeast.


I call shenanigans. I'd bet the house that Kretzy takes YLS if given the opportunity.


Shenanigans! Everybody get your broom. :)

Never bet the house. Unless it's on black.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby crackberry » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:43 pm

I'd be interested to see by what margin Yale/Stanford cross-admits take YLS over SLS. I'm sure it's quite significant, but I wonder if it's like 70 percent or like 90 percent.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28282
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby Kronk » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:45 pm

crackberry wrote:I'd be interested to see by what margin Yale/Stanford cross-admits take YLS over SLS. I'm sure it's quite significant, but I wonder if it's like 70 percent or like 90 percent.


It has to be huge. I think most people take HLS over SLS as well. All of which can be seen in the yields (76% vs. 67% vs. 45%).

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby CardinalRules » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:26 pm

Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:I'd be interested to see by what margin Yale/Stanford cross-admits take YLS over SLS. I'm sure it's quite significant, but I wonder if it's like 70 percent or like 90 percent.


It has to be huge. I think most people take HLS over SLS as well. All of which can be seen in the yields (76% vs. 67% vs. 45%).


Yes, I think that the yield statistics are very revealing in this regard. 90 percent might be too high an estimate, though, considering the relative locations.

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby Kretzy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:10 pm

On a different note from all the talk of yield rates:

What's everyone doing about lodging during ASW? My best friend lives in the Castro, and I'm staying with him the week before for vacation, but won't be during the actual weekend. Any knowledge about cheap hotels and the like (Crack, Cardinal...looking in your directions) would be helpful. Thanks!

Scales of Justice
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:53 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby Scales of Justice » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:17 pm

To the people in at Stanford - what were your LSAT scores, if you don't mind my asking? Stanford is absolutely my dream school! I know they like softs and I have a TON of those including an internship at the Supreme Court, a clerkship at the Cook County Public Defender's office, mock trial for three years, mentoring, working on an ambulance as an EMT... I go to the University of Chicago where we have a lot of grade deflation so anything you say about GPAs will probably make me cry a little, but that's okay! Tell me about yourselves! Thanks! :D :D
Last edited by Scales of Justice on Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28282
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby Kronk » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:21 pm

Scales of Justice wrote:To the people in at Stanford - what were your LSAT scores, if you don't mind my asking? Stanford is absolutely my dream school! I know they like softs and I have a TON of those including an internship at the Supreme Court, a clerkship at the Cook County Public Defender's office, mock trial for three years, mentoring, working on an ambulance as an EMT... I go to the University of Chicago where we have a lot of grade deflation so anything you say about GPAs will probably make me cry a little, but that's okay! Tell me about yourselves! Thanks! :D :D


Cal State University - Palo AlTTTo doesn't care what your LSAT is.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby crackberry » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:29 pm

Scales of Justice wrote:To the people in at Stanford - what were your LSAT scores, if you don't mind my asking? Stanford is absolutely my dream school! I know they like softs and I have a TON of those including an internship at the Supreme Court, a clerkship at the Cook County Public Defender's office, mock trial for three years, mentoring, working on an ambulance as an EMT... I go to the University of Chicago where we have a lot of grade deflation so anything you say about GPAs will probably make me cry a little, but that's okay! Tell me about yourselves! Thanks! :D :D

http://stanford.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Bunch of 170s on there. I'm a 169 (retake, with a 161 also on my record), but I'm a Stanford UG, which definitely helped me and I have very Stanford-specific softs.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby crackberry » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:34 pm

Kretzy wrote:On a different note from all the talk of yield rates:

What's everyone doing about lodging during ASW? My best friend lives in the Castro, and I'm staying with him the week before for vacation, but won't be during the actual weekend. Any knowledge about cheap hotels and the like (Crack, Cardinal...looking in your directions) would be helpful. Thanks!

Well I'll be commuting to ASW from my place in SF (I wonder if I can get them to cover my parking), but assuming you want to stay in Palo Alto, I would avoid the hotels that SLS got blocks of rooms at, like the Westin and the Sheraton. Those are for sure the closest to campus, but they are also the most expensive. There are plenty of cheap motels on El Camino just south of campus. They won't be as nice as the Westin, of course, but they'll get the job done and they're not that much farther away.

The Glass Slipper often has the cheapest rates in town. Days Inn, Holiday Inn, etc. will be a little more. Honestly, if your chief concern is cost, just look on hotels.com and find the cheapest motel on El Camino within 5 miles of campus. The Marguerite will almost undoubtedly stop nearby, and even if it doesn't, a cab won't run you more than like $8 each way.

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby Kretzy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:53 pm

crackberry wrote:
Kretzy wrote:On a different note from all the talk of yield rates:

What's everyone doing about lodging during ASW? My best friend lives in the Castro, and I'm staying with him the week before for vacation, but won't be during the actual weekend. Any knowledge about cheap hotels and the like (Crack, Cardinal...looking in your directions) would be helpful. Thanks!

Well I'll be commuting to ASW from my place in SF (I wonder if I can get them to cover my parking), but assuming you want to stay in Palo Alto, I would avoid the hotels that SLS got blocks of rooms at, like the Westin and the Sheraton. Those are for sure the closest to campus, but they are also the most expensive. There are plenty of cheap motels on El Camino just south of campus. They won't be as nice as the Westin, of course, but they'll get the job done and they're not that much farther away.

The Glass Slipper often has the cheapest rates in town. Days Inn, Holiday Inn, etc. will be a little more. Honestly, if your chief concern is cost, just look on hotels.com and find the cheapest motel on El Camino within 5 miles of campus. The Marguerite will almost undoubtedly stop nearby, and even if it doesn't, a cab won't run you more than like $8 each way.


Gotcha, thanks a bunch. I'll check that out. It's the only visit where I have to pay for a room, so I'm not too upset if I have to cab or whatnot.

User avatar
Havaianas
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby Havaianas » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:17 pm

Sometimes I feel like this is a private thread between 6ish people.
6ish people who I'm very very jealous of.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28282
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby Kronk » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:51 pm

tbf I participate but am not accepted to SLS. Nor am I likely to be. hth

User avatar
CardinalRules
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby CardinalRules » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:13 pm

Kronk wrote:tbf I participate but am not accepted to SLS. Nor am I likely to be. hth


It's OK, your humor gives you the right to participate as an honorary guest.

Kretzy
Posts: 1431
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Re: In at Stanford!

Postby Kretzy » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:15 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
Kronk wrote:tbf I participate but am not accepted to SLS. Nor am I likely to be. hth


It's OK, [strike]your humor[/strike] the fact you're from Colorado, though only slightly amusing gives you the right to participate as an honorary guest.


FTFY.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], blahblah123, fazzvm56, galeatus, harmcharm, j431e782, joeytribbiani, joezze, NotAGolfer, okf731, studyingeveryday, Yahoo [Bot] and 20 guests