In at Stanford! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crackberry

Gold

Re: In at Stanford!

Post by crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:44 pm

I'll take your ambiguous response to be an affirmative. He was in my fraternity. Now let's edit our posts k?

Also, he's a huge douche.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:46 pm

crackberry wrote:edited Now let's edit our posts k?

Also, he's a huge douche.
Yes, edit, and he is an enormous douche. Was a year above me in HS and I knew him very well. Ughhhh

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:46 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
I've heard this same thing over and over. The admissions officers seem pretty weary, from what I've heard, of over-entitlement.
I know where you're coming from, but it's not entitlement so much as it is ignorance. When you don't know anyone who's been to an elite school and you don't have any connections, sometimes you get all your information from well-intentioned but misinformed normal people. When you only know people who say "oh my god, you got above a 28?" you tend to get a skewed perception of how admissions works.
That's fair, though that's still entitlement, just entitlement founded on ignorance. I can relate to the effect of not being surrounded by HYPS-bound peeps: I went to a very average high school and I really had no idea how smart people my age could be till I got here.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:47 pm

FWIW, the guy who I think got his spot stolen by the aforementioned is now the valedictorian at Berkeley and still one of my best friends. I am convinced if you put him into any class in any school in the nation for his concentration (engineering) he would be valedictorian anywhere. Poor choice, Cardinal imo.

A similar situation--though not as black and white--happened the next year with an athlete that wasn't as much of a douche but still didn't deserve it nearly as much as another kid.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:49 pm

I feel the need to weigh in here. I went to a very good prep school in NYC where half the class went to HYP and 3/4 of the class went to Ivies plus Stanford, Duke, Chicago, Amherst, Williams, Pomona, and I am all too familiar with entitlement and the rich getting richer, etc.

That said, I worked my ass off in high school and did very well at Stanford and never assumed I could ever have anything handed to me. I never had "extra time" or whatever and didn't eat off a silver platter. I can understand where people are coming from, but in some respects, it's a little unfair to generalize.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:50 pm

crackberry wrote:I feel the need to weigh in here. I went to a very good prep school in NYC where half the class went to HYP and 3/4 of the class went to Ivies plus Stanford, Duke, Chicago, Amherst, Williams, Pomona, and I am all too familiar with entitlement and the rich getting richer, etc.

That said, I worked my ass off in high school and did very well at Stanford and never assumed I could ever have anything handed to me. I never had "extra time" or whatever and didn't eat off a silver platter. I can understand where people are coming from, but in some respects, it's a little unfair to generalize.
I'd assume you were one of the 20% I referenced in point six, then.

I didn't have a number for prep-school kids.

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:50 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
I've heard this same thing over and over. The admissions officers seem pretty weary, from what I've heard, of over-entitlement.
I know where you're coming from, but it's not entitlement so much as it is ignorance. When you don't know anyone who's been to an elite school and you don't have any connections, sometimes you get all your information from well-intentioned but misinformed normal people. When you only know people who say "oh my god, you got above a 28?" you tend to get a skewed perception of how admissions works.
That's fair, though that's still entitlement, just entitlement founded on ignorance. I can relate to the effect of not being surrounded by HYPS-bound peeps: I went to a very average high school and I really had no idea how smart people my age could be till I got here.
I think there's a difference between expectation and entitlement, no matter how strong that expectation is. Entitlement involves arrogance and the feeling of deserving something. I think my brother expected to get into Stanford in the same way that I expect the sun to rise each day, although I don't feel entitled to have it rise.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:52 pm

Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote:I feel the need to weigh in here. I went to a very good prep school in NYC where half the class went to HYP and 3/4 of the class went to Ivies plus Stanford, Duke, Chicago, Amherst, Williams, Pomona, and I am all too familiar with entitlement and the rich getting richer, etc.

I'd assume you were one of the 20% I referenced in point six, then.

I didn't have a number for prep-school kids.
Yeah I mean I got out of NYC (and the East Coast) because I hate the atmosphere. I certainly wasn't stealing anyone's spot by being a decent baseball player who gets 1s on APs.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:53 pm

crackberry wrote: Yeah I mean I got out of NYC (and the East Coast) because I hate the atmosphere. I certainly wasn't stealing anyone's spot by being a decent baseball player who gets 1s on APs.
I loved our Biology teacher when he told us that (because how else would we know?)

"No one has EVER received a 1 on the AP Biology test after taking my class, except for one person, who was too busy thinking about how the sunlight would glimmer off of a baseball bat at Stanford."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:56 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
I think there's a difference between expectation and entitlement, no matter how strong that expectation is. Entitlement involves arrogance and the feeling of deserving something. I think my brother expected to get into Stanford in the same way that I expect the sun to rise each day, although I don't feel entitled to have it rise.
Fair enough, though I use it in the broader sense of expectation, which is closer to the dictionary definition, not with any connotation of arrogance. I also think it's more often used in the context of receiving something, rather than something just happening (i.e. I expect the sun to rise, but I'm not really entitled to its rising).

Really just semantics though...

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:57 pm

Kronk wrote:
crackberry wrote: Yeah I mean I got out of NYC (and the East Coast) because I hate the atmosphere. I certainly wasn't stealing anyone's spot by being a decent baseball player who gets 1s on APs.
I loved our Biology teacher when he told us that (because how else would we know?)

"No one has EVER received a 1 on the AP Biology test after taking my class, except for one person, who was too busy thinking about how the sunlight would glimmer off of a baseball bat at Stanford."
TBF, your Bio teacher should not be proud of having no one he's taught get a 1 on an AP test. Isn't that like an LSAT instructor proclaiming that none of his students has ever scored below a 130?

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:57 pm

+1. I qualify for the unique summer stuff criterion / silver platter to some extent but don't think that it was a crucial factor in my admission.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:02 pm

crackberry wrote:
Kronk wrote:

TBF, your Bio teacher should not be proud of having no one he's taught get a 1 on an AP test. Isn't that like an LSAT instructor proclaiming that none of his students has ever scored below a 130?
I think it was more of girls being scared they would get a 1 and him reassuring them. But yeah, it's pretty absurd. I studied for class, but not for the AP test at all, and still got a 4. It was easy like matching animal sounds to their pictures in toddler's games.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:07 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:
ConMan345 wrote:
tomhobbes wrote: I know where you're coming from, but it's not entitlement so much as it is ignorance. When you don't know anyone who's been to an elite school and you don't have any connections, sometimes you get all your information from well-intentioned but misinformed normal people. When you only know people who say "oh my god, you got above a 28?" you tend to get a skewed perception of how admissions works.
Fair enough, though I use it in the broader sense of expectation, which is closer to the dictionary definition, not with any connotation of arrogance. I also think it's more often used in the context of receiving something, rather than something just happening (i.e. I expect the sun to rise, but I'm not really entitled to its rising).

Really just semantics though...
Fair enough right back at you. :wink: But I'd imagine that if your admissions officers are complaining about over-entitlement, they're complaining about the type of entitlement that includes undue arrogance. I'd hold it against them if they were complaining about applicants who have the wrong expectations because of their poor upbringing.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:10 pm

Hey TH, when did you submit to Yale?

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:20 pm

crackberry wrote:Hey TH, when did you submit to Yale?
ITT: We discuss whatever Yale-related material we would rather not have Asha read in the Yale thread. :)

the_rad_trad

New

Post by the_rad_trad » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:20 pm

To everyone that got accepted: CONGRATS!

Quick question for any applicant: did they notify you when your application was complete? I received an "Application Received" email 1/25, but nothing since. Just want to know what to expect. Thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:21 pm

the_rad_trad wrote:To everyone that got accepted: CONGRATS!

Quick question for any applicant: did they notify you when your application was complete? I received an "Application Received" email 1/25, but nothing since. Just want to know what to expect. Thanks!
They notify some but not others. No rhyme or reason apparently.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:21 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
ITT: We discuss whatever Yale-related material we would rather not have Asha read in the Yale thread. :)
Also there was a lot of growth in this thread given that there was only one new admit today. Maybe tomorrow will bring some more calls.

the_rad_trad

New

Post by the_rad_trad » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:22 pm

crackberry wrote:
the_rad_trad wrote:To everyone that got accepted: CONGRATS!

They notify some but not others. No rhyme or reason apparently.

Thanks for letting me know :)

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:13 pm

crackberry wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:
Also there was a lot of growth in this thread given that there was only one new admit today. Maybe tomorrow will bring some more calls.
I submitted to Yale on 1/31, app received on 2/2, and I went complete on 2/23.
Last edited by tomhobbes on Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:14 pm

I figured I'd make it official here first. If I don't get into Yale, I'm going to SLS. If I get into Yale, it's 50/50. No other school now matters.

Sort of freeing to have made that decision :)

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:40 pm

Kretzy wrote:I figured I'd make it official here first. If I don't get into Yale, I'm going to SLS. If I get into Yale, it's 50/50. No other school now matters.

Congrats on making life so easy for yourself. I envy you.

Didn't you say that Chicago had a shot?

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:58 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
Kretzy wrote:I figured I'd make it official here first. If I don't get into Yale, I'm going to SLS. If I get into Yale, it's 50/50. No other school now matters.

Congrats on making life so easy for yourself. I envy you.

Didn't you say that Chicago had a shot?
I did say that. It's no longer true, having spent today soul-searching. Chicago's lack of a sexuality-gender scholar (or any real sexual orientation/law scholarship) and mediocre LRAP did it in.

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:42 am

tomhobbes wrote: Fair enough right back at you. :wink: But I'd imagine that if your admissions officers are complaining about over-entitlement, they're complaining about the type of entitlement that includes undue arrogance. I'd hold it against them if they were complaining about applicants who have the wrong expectations because of their poor upbringing.
I agree completely. :)

To crack and managamymaanynam or whatever, aren't you guys weary of staying at Stanford for 7-9 years??? What are your thoughts on this, as it's weighing on my mind? (I'd be here for eight)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”