In at Stanford! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CardinalRules

Gold

Re: In at Stanford!

Post by CardinalRules » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:15 pm

ndnlawdc wrote:
BTW, don't bring your parents. A couple of kids did that at HLS and I sooo judged them.
My parents will go on my law school visits but lurk unobtrusively in the background. They will hunt for apartments while I participate in the Admit activities. If people wish to judge me on that account, so be it.

mochafury

Bronze

Post by mochafury » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:46 pm

CardinalRules wrote:
ndnlawdc wrote:
BTW, don't bring your parents. A couple of kids did that at HLS and I sooo judged them.
My parents will go on my law school visits but lurk unobtrusively in the background. They will hunt for apartments while I participate in the Admit activities. If people wish to judge me on that account, so be it.
So noted, so shall it be done. There was one girl with parents at a recent event, and even I, a child of quite overbearing parents, was surprised.

A side note: SOs are ok, but extremely touchy SOs whose presence entails extreme PDA (yes, there was one couple like this at the same event as the parents girl)...these cases are just as awkward as parents. Bring your wife/girlfriend...but don't massage her back while asking a question to a well-regarded professor.

ndnlawdc

Bronze

Post by ndnlawdc » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:32 am

CardinalRules wrote: My parents will go on my law school visits but lurk unobtrusively in the background. They will hunt for apartments while I participate in the Admit activities. If people wish to judge me on that account, so be it.
I think the point is not to have your parents asking questions of the other admits at cocktail parties. The following is an actual conversation that took place at one of the HLS ASWs.

"- Where are you from?
- Oh, I'm from Oklahoma.
- Oklahoma? Oh, well, it will be a big transition when you get out here!
- Ah, yeah, well, I've been in DC for three years.
- How did you get from Oklahoma to Washington?"
* Note the emphasis and odd tone of voice used with the word "Oklahoma."

It also depends on your parents. If your parents seem like wealthy East Coast helicopter parents, they're going to stand out. The goal is to not scream "My parents are super-involved in this choice and are paying for everything!" And, FWIW, there was only one parent at the SLS ASW last year that I remember.

Just food for thought.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:48 am

ndnlawdc wrote:
CardinalRules wrote: My parents will go on my law school visits but lurk unobtrusively in the background. They will hunt for apartments while I participate in the Admit activities. If people wish to judge me on that account, so be it.
I think the point is not to have your parents asking questions of the other admits at cocktail parties. The following is an actual conversation that took place at one of the HLS ASWs.

"- Where are you from?
- Oh, I'm from Oklahoma.
- Oklahoma? Oh, well, it will be a big transition when you get out here!
- Ah, yeah, well, I've been in DC for three years.
- How did you get from Oklahoma to Washington?"
* Note the emphasis and odd tone of voice used with the word "Oklahoma."

It also depends on your parents. If your parents seem like wealthy East Coast helicopter parents, they're going to stand out. The goal is to not scream "My parents are super-involved in this choice and are paying for everything!" And, FWIW, there was only one parent at the SLS ASW last year that I remember.

Just food for thought.
Thanks for the input! They won't be at the SLS weekend because all of us already live out here, so obviously I won't need a new apartment. :)

skynet

Bronze

Post by skynet » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:48 am

ndnlawdc wrote:
I judged everyone who brought their parents on college visits and I will double-judge anyone who brings parents on a professional school visit.*

*Except as may be required as an accommodation for a disability.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

anmo

New

Post by anmo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:44 am

FYI - the admitted student's site updated today. We can print off and send in the Independence Test. Looks likes theres some other new info/options as well... time to RSVP for ASW!

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:49 am

anmo wrote:FYI - the admitted student's site updated today. We can print off and send in the Independence Test. Looks likes theres some other new info/options as well... time to RSVP for ASW!
What is the Independence Test?

anmo

New

Post by anmo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:05 am

CardinalRules wrote:
anmo wrote:FYI - the admitted student's site updated today. We can print off and send in the Independence Test. Looks likes theres some other new info/options as well... time to RSVP for ASW!
What is the Independence Test?
Determines how much your parent's will contribute to your education. The more recent they've claimed you, the more they're expected to contribute. Also, if they've contributed $5,000 or more to support you that's taken into account. It only considers from the year 2005-forward, so if since 2005 you've been "independent," according to the two previous definitions, your parents won't be expected to contribute to your education and you should receive higher need-based aid. hth

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:38 pm

Damn, my productivity for the evening was just completely shot by seeing the updated site.

BTW, do we have a Facebook group?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anmo

New

Post by anmo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:04 pm

Kretzy wrote:
Damn, my productivity for the evening was just completely shot by seeing the updated site.

BTW, do we have a Facebook group?
google group... haven't heard anything about FB

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:44 pm

Ending the month of silence! Was just accepted this morning and my heart is still pounding!

<3 Stanford!!!

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:46 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:Ending the month of silence! Was just accepted this morning and my heart is still pounding!

<3 Stanford!!!
HELL YES! Congrats!!!!!!

Now you get the most amazing difficult choice of your life: Stanford v. Yale.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:46 pm

Kretzy wrote:
BioEBear2010 wrote:Ending the month of silence! Was just accepted this morning and my heart is still pounding!

<3 Stanford!!!
HELL YES! Congrats!!!!!!

Now you get the most amazing difficult choice of your life: Stanford v. Yale.
+1 those are some great options. good luck in your decision

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mochafury

Bronze

Post by mochafury » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:49 pm

<3 Stanford!!!
Congratulations, numbers fraternal twin! PM with some application details? This gives me much hope.

anmo

New

Post by anmo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:50 pm

<3 Stanford!!!
CONGRATS!!!

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:00 pm

Thanks guys! I feel pretty damn lucky, and I have no idea how I'm going to make this decision!

I'm so ready for these admit weekends!

cavebat2000

Bronze

Post by cavebat2000 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:04 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:Thanks guys! I feel pretty damn lucky, and I have no idea how I'm going to make this decision!

I'm so ready for these admit weekends!
Congrats! Let's hope my phone rings today. :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

anmo

New

Post by anmo » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:09 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:Oh Crackberry, how similar we are. I'm still praying for a Stanford acceptance, and if admitted, will have to face the same tough decision. It really helps to weigh the pros and cons (Managamy helped me with this one)...

Stanford -
Pros: Location (both weather and job opportunities/connections), access to Stanford's other academic departments (they are great at letting law students take courses in other disciplines)
Cons: Slightly weaker clerkship opportunities, de-facto grades

Yale -
Pros: The Yale name, clerkship opportunities, no grades
Cons: Location

Remember, though, that you can't go wrong with either. You really need to visit to get a feel for both schools. As Dignan said, go where you will be happiest
just a reminder :wink:

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:18 pm

<3 Stanford!!!

Wow, that's fantastic!

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:50 pm

<3 Stanford!!!
Why is SLS accepting so many damn Bears?

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:51 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:<3 Stanford!!!
Also, quoted to blackmail BioE until eternity.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:11 pm

<3 Stanford!!!
<3 Cal people, and would love to be in the same school with you next year! The Stanford grading system is as close to "no grades" as you can get, BTW, so I think that the Yale edge in that category is minimal.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:12 pm

CardinalRules wrote:

<3 Stanford!!!
<3 Cal, and would love to be in the same school with you next year! The Stanford grading system is as close to "no grades" as you can get, BTW, so I think that the Yale edge in that category is minimal.
Does the mean you're picking SLS, Cardinal?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:17 pm

crackberry wrote:

<3 Stanford!!!
Why is SLS accepting so many damn Bears?
Actually, SLS has accepted only 11 out of 231 Bears (4.8%) from 2004-2008, almost all with 4.0/170+ stats, and enrolled only 4. In contrast, Boalt has taken 76/461 over the same 5 years (16.5%). I believe SLS enrolls around 25 Stanford UGs per year.

https://career.berkeley.edu/Law/LawStats.stm
Last edited by im_blue on Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:18 pm

Kretzy wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:

<3 Stanford!!!
<3 Cal, and would love to be in the same school with you next year! The Stanford grading system is as close to "no grades" as you can get, BTW, so I think that the Yale edge in that category is minimal.
Does the mean you're picking SLS, Cardinal?
No, it's an allusion to my UG. The dithering is going to continue for a month or so longer. :wink:

I had to change the other name because people were interpreting it in a misleading way.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”