In at Stanford! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CardinalRules

Gold

Re: In at Stanford!

Post by CardinalRules » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:26 pm

ndnlawdc wrote:
CardinalRules wrote:I had a great visit on Tuesday and definitely am more likely to attend than I was beforehand. Professor Sullivan's class was terrific, and she's an incredibly friendly person too.
Was that the day she yelled at everyone for being late?
No, it was not. It's interesting that you were in that class, though.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:42 pm

ndnlawdc wrote:
crackberry wrote: Do we get a pass for "free" if we live in Munger? What pass is it? EA? C?
Nope, you have to pay for parking on campus. I think it's $230ish (don't quote me on that) for the year plus $30 for the month of August (because the year is September-June). I believe you get an EA permit from Munger -- most folks park in the Wilbur Field garage near the law school.
$230?! It was $180 my senior year (2007-2008). God damnit.

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:47 pm

crackberry wrote:
ndnlawdc wrote:
crackberry wrote: Do we get a pass for "free" if we live in Munger? What pass is it? EA? C?
Nope, you have to pay for parking on campus. I think it's $230ish (don't quote me on that) for the year plus $30 for the month of August (because the year is September-June). I believe you get an EA permit from Munger -- most folks park in the Wilbur Field garage near the law school.
+1 Bike

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:19 am

crackberry wrote:
im_blue wrote:On-campus couples housing is either Munger (brand new building, $1500 studio/1BA or $1960 1BR/1BA) or Escondido Village (older building, $1510 1BR/1BA), which includes all utilities. 1L's are guaranteed campus housing, and you have to enter the housing draw after that. You can find cheaper off-campus apartments in Menlo Park or Mountain View, but then you'd have to pay about $60/month for a parking pass. Rents are high in this area for a suburban location, but quite reasonable compared to NYC or DC.
Do we get a pass for "free" if we live in Munger? What pass is it? EA? C?
You'd have to pay $235 for a 10-month (Sept to June) 'EA' permit. 'C' permits cost the same, but are only sold to off-campus students. 'A' permits are also available to off-campus students and cost $605 for 10 months.

ndnlawdc

Bronze

Post by ndnlawdc » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:28 am

crackberry wrote:
ndnlawdc wrote:
For what it's worth, I think it's actually pretty cheap for schools like this. It was around $1000 for a commuter permit at HLS. Though it was $10/year for parking at my undergrad...

Parking is also super easy on campus. I've never had trouble finding a spot. There's an "ES" (escondido village) lot right next to the main law school garage, and parking restrictions are only in effect in the main law school garage from 7-4 M-F.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lightbulb1986

Bronze

Post by lightbulb1986 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:53 pm

Last edited by lightbulb1986 on Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:03 pm

lightbulb1986 wrote:Quick question: by when do we have to confirm enrollment and pay the deposit at Stanford?
500 bucks by May 3rd.

Laina

Bronze

Post by Laina » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:12 am

Kretzy wrote:Anyone else get an email from a current professor? They managed to put one of my legal idols in contact with me...I flipped out when I saw her name in my Inbox, and then again when I realized it wasn't a form letter.
Yes! I got an email from a prof who totally matches my research interests. I emailed her back and got a really sweet and prompt reply. This combined with all the positivity I've gotten from SLS/other T14 alums about SLS these past few weeks have really made me excited to be there next year :)

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:28 pm

Laina wrote:
Kretzy wrote:Anyone else get an email from a current professor? They managed to put one of my legal idols in contact with me...I flipped out when I saw her name in my Inbox, and then again when I realized it wasn't a form letter.
Yes! I got an email from a prof who totally matches my research interests. I emailed her back and got a really sweet and prompt reply. This combined with all the positivity I've gotten from SLS/other T14 alums about SLS these past few weeks have really made me excited to be there next year :)
Seriously, it was super helpful. Columbia is being really great now that I've gotten in, with phone calls and emails every 2 days or so, but SLS is just so damn wonderful and helpful. I like the fact that they don't need to "sell themselves" but they choose to anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:53 pm

How did they know to set you up with Profs you knew and admired? Luck of the draw, mind reading?

Laina

Bronze

Post by Laina » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:22 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:How did they know to set you up with Profs you knew and admired? Luck of the draw, mind reading?
My app made it pretty clear what my goals/interests were, and the prof specifically mentioned a couple issues that might be of interest to me "considering my prior experiences." It's vague enough that it's possible she didn't actually see my app, but I like to think she did and liked it! Haha.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:24 pm

Laina wrote:
WhiskeyGuy wrote:How did they know to set you up with Profs you knew and admired? Luck of the draw, mind reading?
My app made it pretty clear what my goals/interests were, and the prof specifically mentioned a couple issues that might be of interest to me "considering my prior experiences." It's vague enough that it's possible she didn't actually see my app, but I like to think she did and liked it! Haha.
Mine specifically referenced stuff on my resume/application, but I'm assuming it's an educated guess on Dean Deal's part in who she refers us to.

chopsticks3092

New

Post by chopsticks3092 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:34 pm

Kretzy wrote:
Laina wrote:
Mine specifically referenced stuff on my resume/application, but I'm assuming it's an educated guess on Dean Deal's part in who she refers us to.
I submitted a fairly general and vague app and readily conceded that I'm not yet certain about what I want to do with a law degree and got a comparably general faculty email as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:35 pm

However they do it, it's very thoughtful. Can't wait to receive one myself.

I wonder what percent of law students wind up practicing in the areas in which they expressed interest on their applications. My app made clear my interest in one area of the law, but I totally see myself being seduced by criminal prosecution.

rowlf

Bronze

Post by rowlf » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:56 pm

Anyone planning to visit Stanford and Berkeley at the same time? I can only really afford to make the cross country trip once. If so, how are you planning to get between the two schools?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:58 pm

rowlf wrote:Anyone planning to visit Stanford and Berkeley at the same time? I can only really afford to make the cross country trip once. If so, how are you planning to get between the two schools?
I did it this summer. From San Fran, you can take the Cal train south to Palo Alto and there is a free bus from the Caltrain stop to Stanford. You can take the BART (subway) from SF to Berkeley, so you can get between the two on public transportation pretty cheap and pretty easy. hth

HOLLYWOOD MARINE

New

Post by HOLLYWOOD MARINE » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:18 pm

Congrats! That's a hell of an accomplishment all in its self.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CardinalRules

Gold

Post by CardinalRules » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:35 pm

WhiskeyGuy wrote:However they do it, it's very thoughtful. Can't wait to receive one myself.

I wonder what percent of law students wind up practicing in the areas in which they expressed interest on their applications. My app made clear my interest in one area of the law, but I totally see myself being seduced by criminal prosecution.
I would guess that no more than half remain in the field that they initially intended to pursue. There are so many sub-disciplines of law that one can't fully explore until one gets to law school.

amandap

Bronze

Post by amandap » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:57 am

rowlf wrote:Anyone planning to visit Stanford and Berkeley at the same time? I can only really afford to make the cross country trip once. If so, how are you planning to get between the two schools?
If you arrive in Berkeley first, you can use the city care share. I think it costs something like $7 an hour, and Stanford is about an hour drive from CAL. You can register online I do not have the exact address.

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:04 am

amandap wrote:
If you arrive in Berkeley first, you can use the city care share. I think it costs something like $7 an hour, and Stanford is about an hour drive from CAL. You can register online I do not have the exact address.
Of course, any flight will land at SFO, which is much closer to Stanford. Stay near the airport (hotels are cheaper there anyway, and with visiting two schools you will not have time to hang out in SF), take the Caltrain and the bus to Stanford and the BART to Berkeley.

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:07 am

BenJ wrote: Of course, any flight will land at SFO, which is much closer to Stanford. Stay near the airport (hotels are cheaper there anyway, and with visiting two schools you will not have time to hang out in SF), take the Caltrain and the bus to Stanford and the BART to Berkeley.
Oakland has a decently sized airport, and that is much closer to Berkeley. Also, BARTing from SFO to Berkeley is < 1.5 hours, and Caltrain to Stanford is comparably timely. Either way, I agree that you should stay in SF and hit up Stanford first. You can then come to Berkeley and see how the East Bay does it :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:27 pm

I woke up this morning with an incredible urge to put down my deposit, despite spending the weekend reading about Columbia and U. Chicago...

The only thing that stopped me is having not heard from Yale.

crackberry

Gold

Post by crackberry » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:11 pm

Kretzy wrote:The only thing that stopped me is having not heard from Yale.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:12 pm

crackberry wrote:
Kretzy wrote:The only thing that stopped me is having not heard from Yale.
You guys are both rejected, hth.

(kidding--sticking to my previous prediction)

anmo

New

Post by anmo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:16 pm

Kretzy wrote:I woke up this morning with an incredible urge to put down my deposit, despite spending the weekend reading about Columbia and U. Chicago...

The only thing that stopped me is having not heard from Yale.
I wrote out the check this morning! It is currently sitting in the out-mail tray by the door in my office. I'm anxious for the mailman to come and pick it up. I keep thinking... should I hold out for Harvard or wait to hear what/if Chicago is offering... But I keep coming back to the same thought - it wouldn't matter anyways. Gulp!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”