Vermont Law School Green Room

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
austinite13

Re: Vermont Law School Green Room

Postby austinite13 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:56 pm

Got my packet and am in with $25,000 a year. I am really excited and want to go and visit soon. I have been looking at schools for my kids and wanted to see what anyone thought about the following towns:

Pomfret
Strafford
Woodstock
Bethel

Any information would be great.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:36 am

austinite13 wrote:Got my packet and am in with $25,000 a year. I am really excited and want to go and visit soon. I have been looking at schools for my kids and wanted to see what anyone thought about the following towns:

Pomfret
Strafford
Woodstock
Bethel

Any information would be great.

Woodstock is the "rich town" in the area. Without doubt the largest and nicest of those four. A little bit of tourist area.

Bethel is very similar to South Royalton, a couple thousand people, small, dispersed population. Blue collar.

Strafford and Promfret are both very rural.

austinite13

Postby austinite13 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:26 am

Thank you for the info. A few more questions:

Montpelier
Norwich
Barnard

These seem to have the highest ranked elementary/middle schools.

I appreciate the help.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:29 pm

austinite13 wrote:Thank you for the info. A few more questions:

Montpelier
Norwich
Barnard

These seem to have the highest ranked elementary/middle schools.

I appreciate the help.

Monpelier is a really nice town. Kind of far though.

Norwich is also nice, right on the border, twin town with Hanover, NH, where Dartmouth is located

Barnard is rural. Nothing there.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the places you've listed.

Woodstock, Montpelier, and Norwich are among the nicest places in central VT.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:38 pm

Anyone know how VLS is with negotiating merit aid? I got 7k more at Syracuse than VLS.

barkingbug

Postby barkingbug » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:27 am

Has anyone been able to improve their scholarship offers? Like many here, I have been offered $25k/yr. It sounds nice, but the school's tuition is extremely high for a t3.

banalname

Postby banalname » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:12 pm

well this has been dead for awhile...but has anyone heard anything recently?

redraiderette

Postby redraiderette » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:29 pm

Nope. Silence. They email acceptances on Fridays, so here's to hoping...

OHCHI

Postby OHCHI » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:47 am

In via status checker :D

redraiderette

Postby redraiderette » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:08 am

ME TOO! IN via status checker. I believe we will get an email later on today.... Yay!
Looks like I will be taking a visit to Vermont!

vlsorbust

Postby vlsorbust » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:44 pm

Congrats, you two! When did you go complete? I checked this morning and I'm still pending... :cry:

Edit: checked just now, still pending. Argh!

redraiderette

Postby redraiderette » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:59 pm

I went complete 1/25. Does your status checker say pending or complete?

vlsorbust

Postby vlsorbust » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:16 pm

Whew, ok, I feel at least a little relieved now. I didn't go complete until 2/12. I was just concerned because some of the other folks who posted in this thread earlier seemed to get their decisions pretty quickly...around 2 weeks, I think. Since ASD is 3/31, I would imagine they'd have their decisions made in the next week or so. *fingers crossed* Well, I hope to see some of you on campus this fall, if not later this month. :)

Edit: sorry, to answer your question about the status checker, mine just says Application is complete. Last status date is 2/12, so it doesn't seem that they've started reviewing it yet. :(

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:42 pm

Complete on 1/27, no status updates since then.

Leeb

Postby Leeb » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:19 pm

In!!!! Finally. :) I called about the longer than usual wait time I was experiencing, and thought I'd share the information that I got. If you have lower than a 3.0 (even by .02), your app is automatically sent to a faculty committee that makes the process quite a bit longer. (Mine took 2 months, rather than 2-4 weeks).

In any case, I'm going for JD/MELP if I get enough scholarship to cover. Hoping to hear on that soon!

Cheers.

vlsorbust

Postby vlsorbust » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:49 am

Thanks, that was very helpful! That could help explain why mine is taking so long. :wink: Two months, though - what an agonizing wait!

By any chance is anyone here considering the dual JD/French Masters II program? Just curious.

Leeb

Postby Leeb » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:15 am

Got my package today. $30k/year. I'm too excited!

vlsorbust

Postby vlsorbust » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:29 pm

Leeb wrote:Got my package today. $30k/year. I'm too excited!

Wow, that's fantastic! Congrats, Leeb! I'm hoping to hear something this Friday. Otherwise I think I'll go completely nuts. :shock: I know it will have been only about month at that point, but still...

sunshinefairy

Postby sunshinefairy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:19 pm

I've been complete since 1/22 and have heard nothing! =(

I visited the school last fall and it is REALLY in the middle of no-where. The landscape is beautiful and the students I talked to were laid-back and seemed engaged in the school. The campus is broken up into different victorian-style buildings, which was a nice change from some of the other schools that are just in one big concrete structure. There are also little "pet" rabbits hopping around campus - cute.

Even if I get in, I'm not sure I could live that far away from anything - no grocery stores, no movie theatre, nada - I guess the ruralness would be conducive to studying though! I'm moving with my partner so we would have to live somewhere that he could get a job - and I don't think there are really any jobs in South Royalton besides the school.

I appreciate the posts on other cities to live in - but would my partner be able to get a job in those towns either? ...any job would do =)

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:20 pm

sunshinefairy wrote:I've been complete since 1/22 and have heard nothing! =(

I visited the school last fall and it is REALLY in the middle of no-where. The landscape is beautiful and the students I talked to were laid-back and seemed engaged in the school. The campus is broken up into different victorian-style buildings, which was a nice change from some of the other schools that are just in one big concrete structure. There are also little "pet" rabbits hopping around campus - cute.

Even if I get in, I'm not sure I could live that far away from anything - no grocery stores, no movie theatre, nada - I guess the ruralness would be conducive to studying though! I'm moving with my partner so we would have to live somewhere that he could get a job - and I don't think there are really any jobs in South Royalton besides the school.

I appreciate the posts on other cities to live in - but would my partner be able to get a job in those towns either? ...any job would do =)

What does your partner do for living?

vlsorbust

Postby vlsorbust » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:39 pm

Yeah, it kind of depends on the profession/job skills, although my husband was actually able to find an IT gig in Waterbury (about an hour or so away from SoRo). He had an interview but hasn't pursued it further since we're waiting to find out whether I'm accepted or not. Sorry, that doesn't sound like I answered your question but I guess I was trying to do so anecdotally. In short, yes it's possible, but you may have to look around the state as well as in the neighboring states of NY and NH. Good luck!

sunshinefairy

Postby sunshinefairy » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:38 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:

What does your partner do for living?

Right now he's managing at a food coop - hippie natural grocery store - they have to have that in Vermont, right? =)

dlf9210

Postby dlf9210 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:44 am

The really good thing for VLS students and partners is that Hanover is only about 30 minutes away. That's where Dartmouth is located, and they have chain restaurants, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, a mall, an LL Bean and other attractions. I'm sure that you and your partner will be able to keep busy and make a living. Dartmouth has to have about 10,000 undergraduate students, so I imagine there will be something to do there. Just a thought.

dp73816

Postby dp73816 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:46 pm

Withdrew today...so someone out there is going to be happy!

...it was kind of like breaking up with a girlfriend. I sent them an email stating that they were a great school, but I was going to pursue other interests, and they responded with a "why not? who is she" type of email. Guess its like pulling a band-aid...

sunshinefairy

Postby sunshinefairy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:08 am

Accepted today via email - status checker went from "file complete" to "you have been admitted" on 3/12/10.

YAY! No word on scholarship, packet should be coming in snail mail soon.

A tour of Hanover may be required! And looking into buying an AWD so I can commute in the snow on those twisty small roads leading to the school, ek!
Last edited by sunshinefairy on Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”