Seattle 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
juliosilverwolf

Re: Seattle 2010

Postby juliosilverwolf » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:58 pm

Izzle13 wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:What neighborhoods are those attending looking to live in?

I'm looking in the Queen Anne neighborhood, and I've heard that Capitol Hill is the best neighborhood (although not cheap) within walking distance of the school. I've also heard that Federal Way and Kent are good places that are less expensive but are still within a fairly short train ride from school.

Capitol Hill or First Hill are probably the best area in terms of distance, though the school is also easily accessible from many parts of downtown and from neighborhoods just south of I-90 like Beacon Hill. Queen Anne can sometimes be difficult to commute from, but it depends on how far north and west you go. Check out the King County Metro website to look at bus routes for any place you are considering moving. If there is a single bus that will take you from the home to school without a transfer, you're golden. Though you should also consider how frequently that particular bus runs (a bus that comes every 10 minutes is more than twice as good as a bus that comes every 20).

metro.kingcounty.gov

http://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/
^ If you go here, then click "Find Routes" and put Seattle University in the Location field, that will give you a list of the routes that service the campus.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:08 pm

federal way and kent are pretty far away, I'd say at least an hour on the bus assuming good traffic and you get the one bus that goes straight from kent to seattle U which only runs during morning and afternoon rush hours

kevin261186

Postby kevin261186 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:24 pm

don't live in Kent

upfish

Postby upfish » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:59 pm

If I attend, I'm planning on Capitol Hill. =D

unsq312

Postby unsq312 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:58 pm

You really think living in Kent is a bad option? 25 min train ride that has free wifi and lots of space. Seattle subsidizes 55% of the monthly cost. Doesn't seem like a bad option to me.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:16 pm

what train? the new light rail?

it's like a 10-20 min car ride to get to the nearest light rail station from Kent (seatac or tukwila), then it would be a 25-30 min ride into downtown seattle (university station), at which point you're looking at another mile walk up and over first hill (prob another 20 minutes)

seems like a ton of hassle and time just to save a little money on rent

and Seattle U only subsidizes 25%, not 55%, according to their website

Public Transportation

As in any major city, traffic in Seattle can be a headache. To encourage the use of public transportation, Seattle University provides a 25% subsidy toward the cost of a monthly bus pass in King and Pierce County.

juliosilverwolf

Postby juliosilverwolf » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:28 pm

I'm just going to go ahead and concur that living in Kent is not the way to go. You can find something perfectly affordable much closer to campus, and the time it will save you will be completely worth any minor cost increase. Plus, you wouldn't only be closer to school but to anything else you want to do in Seattle.

seattlite

Postby seattlite » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:53 am

I concur with everyone else that living in Kent is really not what you probably want to do (unless you already have a house there, family there, etc).

The best places to live are around downtown (Capital Hill, Belltown, Queen Anne, Madison Park, Madrona, or even closer to UW like Ravenna, Bryant, Greenlake, Wedgwood, etc).

Kent is a very residential area, and the traffic around there is horrible. It is the definition of urban sprawl IMHO.

I live near UW, which is quite nice.

Here is my assessment (comparing Seattle to Southern California communities in case you are familiar with them):

(1) Capital Hill is more eclectic but probably closest to the SU campus - you have some very gentrified parts and some really crazy parts that might remind you of parts of West LA / Santa Monica; (2) Belltown is more traditional city living - loft style apartments and trendy restaurants...more like Westwood; (3) Queen Anne is very yuppyish and very nice (much like the South Bay in So Cal); (4) Ravenna, Bryant, Greenlake, and Wedgwood are a bit of a mixture of Westwood and Marina Del Rey (all very nice); (5) Kent is more like the far suburbs (like the Valley in So Cal); and (6) First Hill is where the hospitals are and, as such, while it is the closest to campus, it is a bit sketchy (its nickname is Pill Hill because within a 4-6 block radius you have Swedish Medical Center, Harborview, and Virginia Mason Hospitals).

From what I have seen, the areas around and north of downtown are nicer (the areas I mention as possible places for you to consider) than the areas south of downtown (where Kent and Federal Way are).

Just my 2 cents...from a transplanted Californian who has lived in Seattle for ~10 years. :wink:

unsq312

Postby unsq312 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:36 am

The train I was referring to isn't the light rail but rather the Sounder Commuter train. You're right though, it may be difficult to get from the station in downtown to Seattle U, I'm not sure that's why I was throwing it out there. But from Kent to the downtown station it says 25 min. From what I understand unless you live pretty close to Seattle U the bus ride is going to be about 20 min anyways, so for someone looking for a option in the suburbs it seems pretty good.

I may have misread the Seattle U website about subsidizing the cost but I think the 25% is for BUS passes only, not the Sounder train.

Snazzygirl

Postby Snazzygirl » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:42 pm

Is anyone "giving up" a much higher ranked school to attend Seattle? Am I completely off my rocker to choose Seattle U over Indiana-Bloomington, Washington & Lee and possibly U of Illinois-Champaign-Urbana? (waitlists are suddenly turning into acceptances from these schools...) Logic tells me it would be absolutely absurd to pick Seattle U...but my gut is urging otherwise... :/ God I'm distressed.

kevin261186

Postby kevin261186 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:52 pm

all depends on money. there are some great public schoools listed there, and SU's tuition is very expensive for a secondary school in a secondary market.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:06 pm

Snazzygirl wrote:Is anyone "giving up" a much higher ranked school to attend Seattle? Am I completely off my rocker to choose Seattle U over Indiana-Bloomington, Washington & Lee and possibly U of Illinois-Champaign-Urbana? (waitlists are suddenly turning into acceptances from these schools...) Logic tells me it would be absolutely absurd to pick Seattle U...but my gut is urging otherwise... :/ God I'm distressed.

where do you want to live? assuming you finish middle of the pack in law school, you will most likely end up working for awhile in the region you go to school at

would you rather live in seattle, st. louis, etc...

Snazzygirl

Postby Snazzygirl » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:20 pm

kevin261186 wrote:all depends on money. there are some great public schoools listed there, and SU's tuition is very expensive for a secondary school in a secondary market.

As of now...no money from anywhere (PO-ed at SU...they'll be hearing from me AGAIN) - tuition at the others is higher, but rent would be cheaper - so baiscally, $$ is going to be the same.

That's why I like SU - I'm from the midwest and am ready to move ON and OUT of it. I visited Seattle for the first time this month and absolutely fell in love with the city/school/etc. I want to end up on the west [coast] somewhere (Seattle/Portland/Denver - not coast, but compared to the midwest - it's WEST!)...but EVERYONE and their moms keep telling me "go to the highest ranked school, more opportunities, blah blah blah...so I'm afraid that I'll screw myself over in the long run, even though my gut tells me I want to be in/at Seattle.

juliosilverwolf

Postby juliosilverwolf » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:28 pm

Snazzygirl wrote:
kevin261186 wrote:all depends on money. there are some great public schoools listed there, and SU's tuition is very expensive for a secondary school in a secondary market.

As of now...no money from anywhere (PO-ed at SU...they'll be hearing from me AGAIN) - tuition at the others is higher, but rent would be cheaper - so baiscally, $$ is going to be the same.

That's why I like SU - I'm from the midwest and am ready to move ON and OUT of it. I visited Seattle for the first time this month and absolutely fell in love with the city/school/etc. I want to end up on the west [coast] somewhere (Seattle/Portland/Denver - not coast, but compared to the midwest - it's WEST!)...but EVERYONE and their moms keep telling me "go to the highest ranked school, more opportunities, blah blah blah...so I'm afraid that I'll screw myself over in the long run, even though my gut tells me I want to be in/at Seattle.

My suggestion would be to go with your gut. Personally I can kind of relate to your sentiment. I live in Seattle, love it here, have no intention of leaving after law school. So, I decided to go to SU. Didn't apply to other schools even though I might have gotten in somewhere with a higher rank. I mean, if you're talking about Harvard, then sure, you can probably move anywhere and practice with that degree. But if you already know where you want to be, then go for it. Get there.

Just my $0.02. This whole process is largely pretty mysterious anyway, and you're just never going to know if you did the "right" thing. That's why I say, go with your gut.

Izzle13

Postby Izzle13 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:29 pm

Snazzygirl wrote:

You might also want to consider what kind of law you think you want to practice. For instance, one of the reasons I chose Seattle U over slightly higher ranked schools was because of the IP program and opportunities in IP that wouldn't be available in lots of other cities. (I definitely wouldn't find lots of opportunities to practice IP in the Midwest :))

Snazzygirl

Postby Snazzygirl » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:18 pm

Izzle13 wrote:
Snazzygirl wrote:

You might also want to consider what kind of law you think you want to practice. For instance, one of the reasons I chose Seattle U over slightly higher ranked schools was because of the IP program and opportunities in IP that wouldn't be available in lots of other cities. (I definitely wouldn't find lots of opportunities to practice IP in the Midwest :))

I'm most interested in IP too! More cultural IP - copyrights/licensing for artists/literature/theater - even for wineries! I love the "Law and Film" and "Beverage Law" courses offered, etc. I'm also particularly attuned to public international law - treaties/int'l orgs/maritime law...which I just think being on a coast would be advantageous...

Thanks for all your 0.02's...I think I know what I want to do - I just know that it seems absurd to most people (i.e. aspiring law students/practicing attys who have always wanted to practice in BigLaw (which I do NOT).

jepoy

Postby jepoy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:15 pm

Just a question for those that were accepted. When does SU usually update the status checker when they make a decision? I've been complete since 2/25 (got the status checker email on 3/29). I already got accepted to another school, but I really want to go to SU. Im thinking that I'm going to get rejected, but looking for some glimmer of hope!

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:16 pm

jepoy wrote:Just a question for those that were accepted. When does SU usually update the status checker when they make a decision? I've been complete since 2/25 (got the status checker email on 3/29). I already got accepted to another school, but I really want to go to SU. Im thinking that I'm going to get rejected, but looking for some glimmer of hope!

It did for me: "Accepted"

upfish

Postby upfish » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:01 pm

jepoy wrote:Just a question for those that were accepted. When does SU usually update the status checker when they make a decision? I've been complete since 2/25 (got the status checker email on 3/29). I already got accepted to another school, but I really want to go to SU. Im thinking that I'm going to get rejected, but looking for some glimmer of hope!

Mine changed on a Friday, but others' have changed on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Complete 2/10, decision 4/9. =)

Burnsie

Postby Burnsie » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:59 pm

JUST got my status checker. I wonder if my app fell somewhere? My check was cashed months ago. Glad I didn't hold my breath.

Snazzygirl

Postby Snazzygirl » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:22 pm

I regret to inform all the SU admits that I am withdrawing - Seattle U is an amazing school and I hope to make it there some time in the future. I know I would have been really happy there, but, alas, I just got into my top pick.

For those of you who are on the SU waitlist/waiting to hear back, I am excited to inform you that there will now be +1 seat opening... :-)

Best of luck to all of you!

jepoy

Postby jepoy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:36 am

Thanks oberlin and upfish. I was hoping to get some (hopefully) good news before I leave for vacation.

MD/JD2B

Postby MD/JD2B » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:27 pm

Beautiful, furnished 2br/2ba condo--Queen Anne with 2 car underground parking. Please send message if seriously interested ($2000.00/month)

autoding

Postby autoding » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:46 pm

MD/JD2B wrote:Beautiful, furnished 2br/2ba condo--Queen Anne with 2 car underground parking. Please send message if seriously interested ($2000.00/month)

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

juliosilverwolf

Postby juliosilverwolf » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:46 pm

autoding wrote:
MD/JD2B wrote:Beautiful, furnished 2br/2ba condo--Queen Anne with 2 car underground parking. Please send message if seriously interested ($2000.00/month)

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:shock: is right. For one thing, I certainly hope this is someone looking for a roommate and not someone actually trying to rent their condo on TLS. For another thing, $2000 for a two bedroom is outrageous for someone on a law student budget (or like.. at all).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”