Seattle 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
oberlin08

Re: Seattle 2010

Postby oberlin08 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:51 pm

Anyone here moving cross-country for SU?

Snazzygirl

Postby Snazzygirl » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:31 pm

oberlin08 wrote:Anyone here moving cross-country for SU?

I am moving from Wisconsin - not exactly the east coast, but still a hike. Just decided on SU and to do the summer start program...so suddenly I am overwhelmed with the moving process and finding a nice place in a good area close, but not too close, that I can actually afford (well...that my loans can afford...)

From where are you coming?

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:32 pm

D.C., It's gonna be a long (but maybe fun, and definitely expensive) drive/move

juliosilverwolf

Postby juliosilverwolf » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:13 am

So yesterday I talked to someone in Admissions to RSVP for the Spring Visit Day, and I mentioned that I hadn't yet received my package in the mail. I was told that if I was admitted on the 9th, it hadn't been mailed yet. Well then I got home from work and it had arrived. So there are some mixed messages for anyone still waiting, but overall that's hopeful. :)

As for the mailing, it contained an offer of 18,500 renewable with top 25% class rank. Also a nice window cling.

See you guys in June, and the rest of you in August!

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:37 am

Is anyone else here paying near sticker (or sticker) for this?

I will be near sticker and kindof nervous...

Snazzygirl

Postby Snazzygirl » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:05 am

oberlin08 wrote:Is anyone else here paying near sticker (or sticker) for this?

I will be near sticker and kindof nervous...

Oberlin08 - I feel as though we are in the same boat of different seas...I will be [loaning out] sticker price for the time being...payment in full hopefully by the time I die, LOL. I tried calling admissions twice about being re-reviewed/reconsidered as I had 3.8 gpa (undergrad from Jesuit school), 3.7 gpa (masters), 2 years work experience, extensive leadership experience (which Seattle claims to prioritize in its approach to teaching), and extensive extracurricular involvement. But apparently my 156 LSAT is THE reason I didn't get anything and why I won't. I think this is ridiculous as I would like to know where the "returned" scholly money is going from admits who withdraw. As you can probably gauge, I'm really quite bitter about this and it's been the one negative thing about Seattle U in my mind. Apparently their median LSAT is 159 this year. LAME. I'm just PRAYING that I can get a scholarship at the end of 1L for my grades/rank - I'll be working my as$ off all year to get one.

:/

Norwood

Postby Norwood » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:56 pm

It's sad to say that the recycled scholarship money is likely to be redistributed to people who have scholarships already rather than those who didn't initially qualify. We have to remember that those already with scholarships have outstanding stats and are likely to have offers elsewhere. Naturally, they'll want to negotiate as much as they can until they feel they have maxed out their potential to earn more money. In the past I've seen merit schollys get boosted from 75% to full tuition just so they can get that candidate to attend. That said, this is how I believe a majority of the scholarship money will be redistributed.

Snazzy- you have a pretty attractive gpa above their median, I think this should warrant some sort of scholarship. I've received scholarships at schools where my gpa is well below the 25th but my gpa is just slightly above the 75th. I'd keep pushing for scholarship consideration. Do you have any other offers to leverage it with?

akili

Postby akili » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:57 pm

I just got the financial aid info (pre-decision) in a big envelope in the mail, I got really excited and then sad....

rufioooooo

Postby rufioooooo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:24 pm

oberlin08 wrote:Anyone here moving cross-country for SU?

oberlin08 - I went to high school in seattle but spent the past 5 years in DC for undergrad/grad, and it looks like I might be back in Seattle for SU law! I'm excited but I'm going to terribly miss DC!

I know it's bad timing, but I'm curious if anyone has negotiated their award/scholarship? Any ideas what the procedure is for that?

Has anyone been admitted into the Access Admission??! I'm wondering what the program is like, and if you can work during the summer while attending classes.....

LOOKING FORWARD TO MEETING EVERYONE! :D

emeraldqueen

Postby emeraldqueen » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:44 pm

Hey guys,

I found this forum/thread because I'm 3 weeks away from graduating from SU, and I've been doing lots of law blog reading. Many law blogs are interested in exposing the law school scam—that is, enrolling students in increasing numbers as students try to ride out the recession, hiking up tuition—because they can—and skewing numbers/data as to how many graduates are employed and how much they earn.

I do believe some of it—SU imposed the largest tuition hike in one year in the entire history of the law school (during my 2L year)—12%!!!!! Additionally, very, very few of my fellow classmates have jobs lined up.

Since I'm out of touch with what the admissions standards here are right now, I'm shocked to hear that the median LSAT score is 159!! I got in with a 152! I guess what I had going for me was a 3.8 from the UW and a 4.0 from grad school. Also, I demonstrated a history of commitment to a VERY specific area of law. I can't believe how hard it is to get in here now! I know the school is really committed to going up in the rankings, so that probably explains why they're making it more difficult to get in.

Anyhow, if you guys have any questions regarding professors, etc., let me know...I have a little time on my hands as my finals consist of papers, and aren't due for awhile (also bar prep doesn't begin until May 17th). Also, I'm a lifelong Seattlite, so if you have any questions as to neighborhoods, nightlife, whatever, I'd be happy to fill you in.

emeraldqueen

Postby emeraldqueen » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm

Well, my LSAT was a 152, if SU averaged my scores. I got a 149 the first time (anxiety attack...HORRIBLE!!) and a 154 the second. I can't recall if SU simply accepts your highest score—I think it does.

upfish

Postby upfish » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:32 pm

Got my packet today. =) $9k included, renewable w/the standard 25% class rank.

Is it possible to negotiate up? I feel like I've read some success stories, but I wouldn't even know how to go about it? Thoughts?

emeraldqueen

Postby emeraldqueen » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:33 pm

upfish wrote:Got my packet today. =) $9k included, renewable w/the standard 25% class rank.

Is it possible to negotiate up? I feel like I've read some success stories, but I wouldn't even know how to go about it? Thoughts?

Wow. I'm curious. Do any of you care, at all, about SU's mission statement. You know it's a social justice school, right?

All I hear is jargon: "sticker" "negotiate up," etc, etc. You're responding to the commodification of a legal education in kind. SO WEIRD. Why do any of you want to go to law school? Do you even know?

Are you all just trying to ride out the recession in hopes that job prospects will be better in three years? If so, why do you want to go to SU? As a social justice school, Biglaw job prospects, will be elusive. Even the top 5% at SU end up clerking for the WA Supreme Court, at best—they, most certainly, don't get Biglaw jobs starting at $100,000 or up.

Reality checks are a good thing, even though they're often bitter pills to swallow.

juliosilverwolf

Postby juliosilverwolf » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:40 pm

emeraldqueen wrote:
upfish wrote:Got my packet today. =) $9k included, renewable w/the standard 25% class rank.

Wow. I'm curious. Do any of you care, at all, about SU's mission statement. You know it's a social justice school, right?

All I hear is jargon: "sticker" "negotiate up," etc, etc. You're responding to the commodification of a legal education in kind. SO WEIRD. Why do any of you want to go to law school? Do you even know?

Are you all just trying to ride out the recession in hopes that job prospects will be better in three years? If so, why do you want to go to SU? As a social justice school, Biglaw job prospects, will be elusive. Even the top 5% at SU end up clerking for the WA Supreme Court, at best—they, most certainly, don't get Biglaw jobs starting at $100,000 or up.

Reality checks are a good thing, even though they're often bitter pills to swallow.

It's nice to hear to hear an SU student say this. The social justice focus is the reason I chose SU, so I'm glad to get this impression that it is real.

upfish

Postby upfish » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:52 pm

juliosilverwolf wrote:
emeraldqueen wrote:

It's nice to hear to hear an SU student say this. The social justice focus is the reason I chose SU, so I'm glad to get this impression that it is real.

Me too, incidentally, because it's WHY I chose Seattle U.

To assume that I am grabbing at cash because I am into BigLaw is, well, kind of insulting. I'm stupid kinds of poor. I've been out of a job/underemployed for almost a year now despite herculean efforts at acquiring anything worth having (think 2-3 hours of cover letters and apps a day, plus two temp agencies, etc.), and the economy makes me nervous as HELL about getting hired anywhere out of law school. Since I'm already carrying about $20k in undergrad debt that's stacking up unemployment deferment interest, getting the cost of law school down is VERY. IMPORTANT. to me. Especially when the cost of the school is essentially buying a house.

I am not even sure at present that I can afford the MOVE to Seattle, so I really need, and I can't emphasize need enough, any money I can get. Which means that yes, I'm willing to beg the school for anything they can give me. I'm trying to fulfill my dreams and help people, and the idea of having to defer or missing out altogether over money is VERY depressing to me.

Sorry to overshare, but seriously, that cut me.

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:34 am

I love SU's committment to social justice and have purposely mostly applied to schools that showed that type of committment.

However, money has to be an issue when we're dealing with something like this no matter what you want to do or what you care about.

With all that being said, I'm looking forward to finally being out there.

emeraldqueen

Postby emeraldqueen » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:40 am

I apologize if my questions offended. I know my tone can be a bit terse. I'm REALLY happy to hear that many of you appear truly committed to social justice. SU, for the most part, "walks the walk," if you know what I mean.

My advice is to try to figure out exactly which area of law (social justice related) you want to focus on, and do it early. If you don't know now, there's time to decide during your 1L year. But, you should try to have it nailed down by your second semester. I say this because by mid-second semester you'll be able to start applying for internships related to your particular area of interest. SU offers lots of opportunities for that.

I either volunteered, or interned, every single summer—starting with the summer after my 1L year, getting experience in my field. Because I did that, I was able to build a reputation and meet practitioners in the field. And, I have a job lined up.

Another thing: Don't be overwhelmed by the pressure to "network" in your 1L year. Only do it if you're absolutely sure of the area of law you want to go into. For the most part, "networking" in your 1L year takes up way too much energy. Don't worry about putting it off, at least until the second semester of your 1L year. I say this because all your 1L classes, for the most part, are 4 credit classes, and you really need to direct your energy toward getting decent grades. Also, you'll be pressured into forming study groups...almost any 2L or 3L will tell you what a waste of time it was. No one after their 1L year studies in study groups. If you're a self-starter, studying on your own, with the help of a horn book—an E & E, or a Crunchtime—will probably yield better results.

I'm the first person in the history of my family to go to college, let alone law school, so everything about law school was totally foreign to me. You'll be amazed at the amount of students with parents who are lawyers. That said, many of these students are familiar with the concepts, and they RUIN the curve, for po' folks like me. I didn't see my first "A" until the first semester of my 2L year. And, because of my B-, C average as a 1L, I'm only just going to barely graduate cum laude.

Now, I know I just made it sound as though grades are really important—they're not, IF you commit early on to one area of law, and make connections. Busting my ass for cum laude was just something that was personally important to me, because I always excelled as an undergrad/grad student.

Anyhow, do try to get any kind of reduction in tuition you can—the school is making PLENTY of money as it is. It can afford to cut some people a break. Also, I have plenty of tips on how to save money on textbooks. Having the required edition is probably important in your 1L year, but after my 1L year, I NEVER paid full price for a text book. I always bought used texts online, or even older editions, and I saved hundreds of dollars.

I'm excited for you all! SU is an awesome school—I'm proud of it. Don't hesitate to ask me questions...I know my opinion is just that, my opinion, but, still, I can offer advice having gone through it at SU.

Best,
EQ

amadomarie85

Postby amadomarie85 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:07 pm

So I finally got my admissions packet after waiting for over 10 days and called admissions to see when any scholarship information would arrive. They said that if I was given any scholarship money, it would have been part of the packet. So apparently, I got absolutely nothing which really makes me angry. My LSAT score is above their average, above their 75th percentile and my GPA is around the 75th percentile, I got scholarships from other schools, even better ranked ones. I saw that someone else received $9,000 from SU and basically, I just don't get it...

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:58 pm

amadomarie85 wrote:So I finally got my admissions packet after waiting for over 10 days and called admissions to see when any scholarship information would arrive. They said that if I was given any scholarship money, it would have been part of the packet. So apparently, I got absolutely nothing which really makes me angry. My LSAT score is above their average, above their 75th percentile and my GPA is around the 75th percentile, I got scholarships from other schools, even better ranked ones. I saw that someone else received $9,000 from SU and basically, I just don't get it...

Could have been worse....you could have been YP'd. Speaking of which, just withdrew from the waitlist. Good luck all!

stad2234

Postby stad2234 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:40 pm

emeraldqueen wrote:

Emeraldqueen im curious to know what your thoughts are on job prospect coming out of SU with a focus in business. Im starting the JD/MBA program this fall and will be either looking for employment with a local corporation as an in house attorney or working for a firm with a focus on transaction based law. Do you know of anybody that is going this route in your class? If so, how successful have they been in lining up internships after their 1L year and/or jobs after graduation? Anything you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

SEATTLEITE188

Postby SEATTLEITE188 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:17 pm

I have been waitlisted by SU, and like many of you, I am concerned about paying 'sticker'. I have intentions of going into the private sector, although I am not certain exactly what area of law I want to practice. I am thinking real estate, and I am strongly considering a joint mba program. However, I am very weary about graduating with such a huge debt and making a salary that can barely support my payments. Is it realistic to make 70-80K in the top 30 or 40 percent of your class? Their graduation statistics are not very telling, especially because of the very low percentage reporting income. Any insight into realistic salary expectations will be very appreciative. As many have said, money concerns are an unfortunate reality of law school.

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:59 pm

Just withdrew, putting $12,000 back in the pot. I really loved Seattle and SU, but I have other options that are cheaper and not a plane ride away. Hopefully my spot and $ goes to one of you! Good luck!!

davipatr

Postby davipatr » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:04 am

emeraldqueen wrote:
upfish wrote:?

This is not true. I haven't done that much research but there are several large national firms with offices in seattle, a couple of them are based there, who employ several seattle U grads.
I want to study Indian Law, and there are a couple of these firms that offer interships for 2L's focusing on human rights generally. There is a lot of opportunity, just because no one is coming to find you and beg you....

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:23 am

What neighborhoods are those attending looking to live in?

Izzle13

Postby Izzle13 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:39 pm

oberlin08 wrote:What neighborhoods are those attending looking to live in?

I'm looking in the Queen Anne neighborhood, and I've heard that Capitol Hill is the best neighborhood (although not cheap) within walking distance of the school. I've also heard that Federal Way and Kent are good places that are less expensive but are still within a fairly short train ride from school.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”