Seattle 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
horriblegb
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: Seattle 2010

Postby horriblegb » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:56 am

Going to withdraw today good luck everyone!

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: Seattle 2010

Postby upfish » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:50 am

horriblegb wrote:Going to withdraw today good luck everyone!


Thanks! =)

User avatar
horriblegb
Posts: 394
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Re: Seattle 2010

Postby horriblegb » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:04 pm

upfish wrote:
horriblegb wrote:Going to withdraw today good luck everyone!


Thanks! =)


Also had a little scholly money too that i hope a TLSer gets :D

User avatar
christine2013
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:34 pm

Re: Seattle 2010

Postby christine2013 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:50 pm

oberlin08 wrote:That could be cool. But i dont know any restaurants or bars in seattle.



I suggest we actually pick a spot on campus and meet there initially then leave together - I have a feeling a lot more people would want to do the same thing and it would be fun (in my opinion) to have a big group. One place that someone mentioned was Gordon Biersch in downtown. It's great bc it has every kind of food and good beer - I dont know what is there either other than that place...open to suggestions!

User avatar
uwb09
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 am

Re: Seattle 2010

Postby uwb09 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:56 pm

christine2013 wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:That could be cool. But i dont know any restaurants or bars in seattle.



I suggest we actually pick a spot on campus and meet there initially then leave together - I have a feeling a lot more people would want to do the same thing and it would be fun (in my opinion) to have a big group. One place that someone mentioned was Gordon Biersch in downtown. It's great bc it has every kind of food and good beer - I dont know what is there either other than that place...open to suggestions!

Gordon Biersch is a great place, if you are looking for Beer selection try the Taphouse on 6th between pine and pike, they literally have 160 beers on tap, it's kinda crazy seeing all the taps along the wall. Fox Sports Grill right down the street on the same block is great too if you want to take in NCAA Basketball action as well (they have a massive screen to watch the games on)

Snazzygirl
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:12 pm

Re: Seattle 2010

Postby Snazzygirl » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:15 pm

oberlin08 wrote:
mhd08 wrote:
christine2013 wrote:Kind of random but are any of the visiting students meeting up at a restaurant friday night to get food/drinks after the open house? I don't know anyone so it would be nice to meet up with people who are also checking out the school? I am from SF so Ill be staying the whole weekend to check out the city too.


Hey! I'm from NJ and I don't know anyone either, so I would love to go out after! I'll be staying from Thursday - Sunday to get a better feel for the city. Can anyone from the area suggest a nearby restaurant or bar that would be fun? We should somehow try to differentiate ourselves as TLSers haha.



+1


I'm going to the open house in April (16) and wondering - where are you guys staying? The Silver Cloud discount only brings the nightly rate to $125, which is still more than I want to spend (I'm thinkin' like $80/night here people!)

Any suggestions from people who have visited?

And be sure to provide some feedback on which ever place to which you decide to go!

User avatar
Izzle13
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: Seattle 2010

Postby Izzle13 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:25 pm

Snazzygirl wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:
mhd08 wrote:
christine2013 wrote:Kind of random but are any of the visiting students meeting up at a restaurant friday night to get food/drinks after the open house? I don't know anyone so it would be nice to meet up with people who are also checking out the school? I am from SF so Ill be staying the whole weekend to check out the city too.


Hey! I'm from NJ and I don't know anyone either, so I would love to go out after! I'll be staying from Thursday - Sunday to get a better feel for the city. Can anyone from the area suggest a nearby restaurant or bar that would be fun? We should somehow try to differentiate ourselves as TLSers haha.



+1


I'm going to the open house in April (16) and wondering - where are you guys staying? The Silver Cloud discount only brings the nightly rate to $125, which is still more than I want to spend (I'm thinkin' like $80/night here people!)

Any suggestions from people who have visited?

And be sure to provide some feedback on which ever place to which you decide to go!


I am also going to the open house in April and am staying at the Quality Inn and Suites on 618 John Street. The room was $69 a night (although I booked it a few weeks ago so I'm not sure where the prices are now).

seattlite
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Seattle 2010

Postby seattlite » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:48 pm

I'm going to the open house in April (16) and wondering - where are you guys staying? The Silver Cloud discount only brings the nightly rate to $125, which is still more than I want to spend (I'm thinkin' like $80/night here people!)

Any suggestions from people who have visited?

And be sure to provide some feedback on which ever place to which you decide to go![/quote]

I am also going to the open house in April and am staying at the Quality Inn and Suites on 618 John Street. The room was $69 a night (although I booked it a few weeks ago so I'm not sure where the prices are now).[/quote]



I think you will find that Seattle is actually a pretty small city (in terms of a downtown core) when compared to other cities. As such, I would go to Hotwire.com and plug in the nights you want to stay. Hotwire won't tell you the name or exact location of the hotel, but it will give you a general area and they give you amazing prices. My husband and I used Hotwire to book our hotel on our wedding night in Seattle, and I think the cost was ~$100 for a 5 star hotel (and since it was a boutique hotel...and there are only a few of them in Seattle...we pretty much knew which hotel it was).

On Hotwire, I would pick the "Downtown - Pike Place Area" if you want to take public transportation (i.e. bus) or a taxi to Seattle U for ASD on Friday, or you can pick "Downtown Seattle Center - Space Needle Area" or "Lake Union Area" and take a taxi. Both are pretty close to Seattle U (like a 5-10 minute cab ride or a 15-20 minute bus ride), though there are a lot of hills going to SU (SU is in Capital Hill) and the area around SU gets sketchy fast so I would not recommend walking there.

BTW, $125 to stay at The Silver Cloud Hotel is *crazy* IMHO. You could probably stay in downtown Seattle or on the Seattle waterfront for that...both nicer places with much more to do. Just checking Hotwire now, I see a 3 star hotel for $77 + tax, a 4 star for $102 + tax, and 2 - 2.5 star hotels around $69 + tax.

Hope this helps.

I will be at the ASD tomorrow so I look forward to meeting some of you then! :)

User avatar
AM05
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:47 am

Re: Seattle 2010

Postby AM05 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:09 pm

christine2013 wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:That could be cool. But i dont know any restaurants or bars in seattle.



I suggest we actually pick a spot on campus and meet there initially then leave together - I have a feeling a lot more people would want to do the same thing and it would be fun (in my opinion) to have a big group. One place that someone mentioned was Gordon Biersch in downtown. It's great bc it has every kind of food and good beer - I dont know what is there either other than that place...open to suggestions!



I like the idea of meeting in one spot on campus. It would be great to meet some of you tomorrow!

And for those of you who may have arrived this morning, I'm sorry the weather was so crummy... hopefully it'll get better. Welcome to Seattle! :lol:

Snazzygirl
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:12 pm

Re: Seattle 2010

Postby Snazzygirl » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:14 pm

seattlite wrote:I'm going to the open house in April (16) and wondering - where are you guys staying? The Silver Cloud discount only brings the nightly rate to $125, which is still more than I want to spend (I'm thinkin' like $80/night here people!)

Any suggestions from people who have visited?

And be sure to provide some feedback on which ever place to which you decide to go!


I am also going to the open house in April and am staying at the Quality Inn and Suites on 618 John Street. The room was $69 a night (although I booked it a few weeks ago so I'm not sure where the prices are now).[/quote]



I think you will find that Seattle is actually a pretty small city (in terms of a downtown core) when compared to other cities. As such, I would go to Hotwire.com and plug in the nights you want to stay. Hotwire won't tell you the name or exact location of the hotel, but it will give you a general area and they give you amazing prices. My husband and I used Hotwire to book our hotel on our wedding night in Seattle, and I think the cost was ~$100 for a 5 star hotel (and since it was a boutique hotel...and there are only a few of them in Seattle...we pretty much knew which hotel it was).

On Hotwire, I would pick the "Downtown - Pike Place Area" if you want to take public transportation (i.e. bus) or a taxi to Seattle U for ASD on Friday, or you can pick "Downtown Seattle Center - Space Needle Area" or "Lake Union Area" and take a taxi. Both are pretty close to Seattle U (like a 5-10 minute cab ride or a 15-20 minute bus ride), though there are a lot of hills going to SU (SU is in Capital Hill) and the area around SU gets sketchy fast so I would not recommend walking there.

BTW, $125 to stay at The Silver Cloud Hotel is *crazy* IMHO. You could probably stay in downtown Seattle or on the Seattle waterfront for that...both nicer places with much more to do. Just checking Hotwire now, I see a 3 star hotel for $77 + tax, a 4 star for $102 + tax, and 2 - 2.5 star hotels around $69 + tax.

Hope this helps.

I will be at the ASD tomorrow so I look forward to meeting some of you then! :)[/quote]
Last edited by Snazzygirl on Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snazzygirl
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:12 pm

Re: Seattle 2010

Postby Snazzygirl » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:20 pm

Awesome! Thank you so much.

Question - when you use Hotwire, can you get reward points/miles at the hotel when you check in? Like, I have rewards memberships for like every hotel chain that give me miles - that's why I've never used hotwire because I want those points.
Anyone know?

Hal4040
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:44 pm

Re: Seattle 2010

Postby Hal4040 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:25 pm

the priceline "name your own price" is almost always less money for the same hotel. check http://www.betterbidding.com and compare what people paid using priceline vs. hotwire for the same area

seattlite
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Seattle 2010

Postby seattlite » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:33 pm

Snazzygirl wrote:
seattlite wrote:I'm going to the open house in April (16) and wondering - where are you guys staying? The Silver Cloud discount only brings the nightly rate to $125, which is still more than I want to spend (I'm thinkin' like $80/night here people!)

Any suggestions from people who have visited?

And be sure to provide some feedback on which ever place to which you decide to go!

I am also going to the open house in April and am staying at the Quality Inn and Suites on 618 John Street. The room was $69 a night (although I booked it a few weeks ago so I'm not sure where the prices are now).


I think you will find that Seattle is actually a pretty small city (in terms of a downtown core) when compared to other cities. As such, I would go to Hotwire.com and plug in the nights you want to stay. Hotwire won't tell you the name or exact location of the hotel, but it will give you a general area and they give you amazing prices. My husband and I used Hotwire to book our hotel on our wedding night in Seattle, and I think the cost was ~$100 for a 5 star hotel (and since it was a boutique hotel...and there are only a few of them in Seattle...we pretty much knew which hotel it was).

On Hotwire, I would pick the "Downtown - Pike Place Area" if you want to take public transportation (i.e. bus) or a taxi to Seattle U for ASD on Friday, or you can pick "Downtown Seattle Center - Space Needle Area" or "Lake Union Area" and take a taxi. Both are pretty close to Seattle U (like a 5-10 minute cab ride or a 15-20 minute bus ride), though there are a lot of hills going to SU (SU is in Capital Hill) and the area around SU gets sketchy fast so I would not recommend walking there.

BTW, $125 to stay at The Silver Cloud Hotel is *crazy* IMHO. You could probably stay in downtown Seattle or on the Seattle waterfront for that...both nicer places with much more to do. Just checking Hotwire now, I see a 3 star hotel for $77 + tax, a 4 star for $102 + tax, and 2 - 2.5 star hotels around $69 + tax.

Hope this helps.

I will be at the ASD tomorrow so I look forward to meeting some of you then! :)


Awesome! Thank you so much.

Question - when you use Hotwire, can you get reward points/miles at the hotel when you check in? Like, I have rewards memberships for like every hotel chain that give me miles - that's why I've never used hotwire because I want those points.
Anyone know?


I don't think you can get miles / points when you use Hotwire, but I am not sure. I always use my credit card tied to my frequent flyer account to book the rooms via Hotwire so I get points for the money that I spend that way. I think you can get points for any incidental charges if you have any at the hotel if you give them your frequent flyer / hotel rewards info upon check-in. The money you save on the rooms is worth not getting the frequent flyer points in my experience (and, trust me, I use my credit card tied to my frequent flyer card for pretty much all my purchases).

Just for your own sanity / to make sure you are getting the best deal possible, you might want to compare Hotwire against Expedia or Orbitz (I think both Expedia and Orbitz accept frequent flyer / hotel rewards info) and while you can't do a perfect comparison since you don't know the name of the hotel on Hotwire, you can compare the hotels based on rough location, amenities, and how many stars they have.

That is the way I would approach it if I were you. :wink:

jasonmars
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:34 pm

Re: Seattle 2010

Postby jasonmars » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:53 pm

Hi all,

Not really sure what this means but for all those who are still waiting for a response, did your Requirements List in status checker just update itself? Mine did today, not sure if this has any meaning? I applied early January, went complete later in the month...

good luck to everybody still waiting!

edge3900
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: Seattle 2010

Postby edge3900 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:59 pm

Gordon Biersch sounds great, I will be late and coming straight from work so I'll be starved and ready for a beer. What's the code word haha

User avatar
uwb09
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 am

Re: Seattle 2010

Postby uwb09 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:40 pm

got my packet, got the 11K presidential scholarship, top 25% is a bitch though, gonna try to get the stipulation laxed a bit

User avatar
savagedm
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 am

Re: Seattle 2010

Postby savagedm » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:00 pm

who all is here for the admitted student's day tomorrow (Mar 26th)? I just got on the ground and checked out downtown some. Would love to go out with a few other students tomorrow night after the event!

*edit*

where are we meeting? I'm seeing either Gordon Biersch or somewhere on campus. I'm for the campus idea as I am not a native of the area, but whatever work is fine with me. Lets get this spot designated asap so we wont be wandering around asking everyone if they know who Spacemanspliff is or anything like that haha

MD/JD2B
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:06 am

Re: Seattle 2010

Postby MD/JD2B » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:20 pm

I'll be there; the one with the salt and pepper beard

Legally_Brunette
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:07 pm

Re: Seattle 2010

Postby Legally_Brunette » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:44 pm

seattlite wrote:
Snazzygirl wrote:
seattlite wrote:I'm going to the open house in April (16) and wondering - where are you guys staying? The Silver Cloud discount only brings the nightly rate to $125, which is still more than I want to spend (I'm thinkin' like $80/night here people!)

Any suggestions from people who have visited?

And be sure to provide some feedback on which ever place to which you decide to go!

I am also going to the open house in April and am staying at the Quality Inn and Suites on 618 John Street. The room was $69 a night (although I booked it a few weeks ago so I'm not sure where the prices are now).


Question - when you use Hotwire, can you get reward points/miles at the hotel when you check in? Like, I have rewards memberships for like every hotel chain that give me miles - that's why I've never used hotwire because I want those points.
Anyone know?


I don't think you can get miles / points when you use Hotwire, but I am not sure. I always use my credit card tied to my frequent flyer account to book the rooms via Hotwire so I get points for the money that I spend that way. I think you can get points for any incidental charges if you have any at the hotel if you give them your frequent flyer / hotel rewards info upon check-in. The money you save on the rooms is worth not getting the frequent flyer points in my experience (and, trust me, I use my credit card tied to my frequent flyer card for pretty much all my purchases).

Just for your own sanity / to make sure you are getting the best deal possible, you might want to compare Hotwire against Expedia or Orbitz (I think both Expedia and Orbitz accept frequent flyer / hotel rewards info) and while you can't do a perfect comparison since you don't know the name of the hotel on Hotwire, you can compare the hotels based on rough location, amenities, and how many stars they have.

That is the way I would approach it if I were you. :wink:


That's what I was planning to do (a little OCD I guess...but I HATE getting ripped off when a better deal is available!) I think it's going to come down to a matter of $$ vs. braving the navigation of the public transportation in an unknown city...

User avatar
TTTennis
Posts: 346
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:12 pm

Re: Seattle 2010

Postby TTTennis » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:51 pm

uwb09 wrote:got my packet, got the 11K presidential scholarship, top 25% is a bitch though, gonna try to get the stipulation laxed a bit


I agree that the stipulation is a bitch, but don't you think that maybe you shouldn't try to get it "laxed a bit"? If you don't finish top 25% of your class at SU you are pretty damn screwed either way. It could be good motivation.

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: Seattle 2010

Postby upfish » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:02 am

jasonmars wrote:Hi all,

Not really sure what this means but for all those who are still waiting for a response, did your Requirements List in status checker just update itself? Mine did today, not sure if this has any meaning? I applied early January, went complete later in the month...

good luck to everybody still waiting!


Now that you mention it, mine did this recently too, but without changing my status date. Hope this means we're getting a decision (and a positive one!) soon...

User avatar
uwb09
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 am

Re: Seattle 2010

Postby uwb09 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:12 am

TTTennis wrote:
uwb09 wrote:got my packet, got the 11K presidential scholarship, top 25% is a bitch though, gonna try to get the stipulation laxed a bit


I agree that the stipulation is a bitch, but don't you think that maybe you shouldn't try to get it "laxed a bit"? If you don't finish top 25% of your class at SU you are pretty damn screwed either way. It could be good motivation.

this is true, still gonna shoot an e-mail over and see if i can either get more money or get the stipulation relaxed to at least top third, worth a try

User avatar
mhd08
Posts: 318
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:42 am

Re: Seattle 2010

Postby mhd08 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:31 am

I'm staying at the Crowne Plaza in downtown and got a discounted SU rate of $99... not too shabby for the great location. Landed this morning and I'm already in love with the city, despite the weather. I think meeting outside of the law school sounds like a good idea. There's actually some construction going on if you make a right out of the law school and look to your left. We could meet in front of the construction lol... at least we would recognize each other. BTW the law school is absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to meet everyone tomrrow!

User avatar
savagedm
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 am

Re: Seattle 2010

Postby savagedm » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:47 am

mhd08 wrote:I'm staying at the Crowne Plaza in downtown and got a discounted SU rate of $99... not too shabby for the great location. Landed this morning and I'm already in love with the city, despite the weather. I think meeting outside of the law school sounds like a good idea. There's actually some construction going on if you make a right out of the law school and look to your left. We could meet in front of the construction lol... at least we would recognize each other. BTW the law school is absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to meet everyone tomrrow!


alright, meet in front of the construction it is! haha i somehow can picture one of us having a cardboard sign like an airport driver or something


*edit* im at the marriott courtyard wayyy up town by uwash... got the room for free using my points though!

User avatar
AM05
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:47 am

Re: Seattle 2010

Postby AM05 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:50 am

savagedm wrote:
mhd08 wrote:I'm staying at the Crowne Plaza in downtown and got a discounted SU rate of $99... not too shabby for the great location. Landed this morning and I'm already in love with the city, despite the weather. I think meeting outside of the law school sounds like a good idea. There's actually some construction going on if you make a right out of the law school and look to your left. We could meet in front of the construction lol... at least we would recognize each other. BTW the law school is absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to meet everyone tomrrow!


alright, meet in front of the construction it is! haha i somehow can picture one of us having a cardboard sign like an airport driver or something



I'm assuming that's the construction on the new library? Is this before or after the open house?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 10 guests