Seattle 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LadyLuck2010

Re: Seattle 2010

Postby LadyLuck2010 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:45 pm

Yep.

haider

Postby haider » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:15 pm

uwb09 wrote:did everyone receive accepted status updates on fridays?

No, my boyfriend got his accepted status on a Tuesday.

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:20 pm

I got mine late on Friday. Didn't see it until Monday.

ChairmanWow

Postby ChairmanWow » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:22 pm

mhd08 wrote:How long does it usually take to receive the acceptance package in the mail? My status checker changed to accepted last Friday, but I haven't received anything in the mail yet. I'm on the east coast so it might take a little longer.

My status checker updated on a Friday and the packet arrived to the east coast on the following Friday.

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:26 pm

ChairmanWow wrote:
mhd08 wrote:How long does it usually take to receive the acceptance package in the mail? My status checker changed to accepted last Friday, but I haven't received anything in the mail yet. I'm on the east coast so it might take a little longer.

My status checker updated on a Friday and the packet arrived to the east coast on the following Friday.

I'm thinking that living in the tundra that is NJ right now could be the problem. Snow always slows down the mail. But I'm hoping for tomorrow or Monday.

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:45 pm

mhd08 wrote:
ChairmanWow wrote:

I'm thinking that living in the tundra that is NJ right now could be the problem. Snow always slows down the mail. But I'm hoping for tomorrow or Monday.

I got admitted via the status checker last friday as well, but also havent received my packet. I'm thinking it will come today in the mail or tmrw.. hopefully..

KIM_SAYS:

Postby KIM_SAYS: » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:00 pm

Just a general question about status checkers--when do schools normally update statuses? Is it all throughout the day, or more towards late afternoon?

*Edited for grammar because status checkers ruin my typing skillz.
Last edited by KIM_SAYS: on Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AM05

Postby AM05 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:21 pm

I want to say the Seattle U status checker updates throughout the day... I saw the decision on my status checker on Friday morning. I may be wrong though. It could have changed Thursday evening and I just didn't notice...

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:28 pm

KIM_SAYS: wrote:Just a general question about status checkers--when do schools normally update statuses? Is it all throughout the day, or may towards late afternoon?

depends on the school

UC Davis appears to only do it once a day at 6pm PST, but my DePaul status changed yesterday mid-day sometime

Me-a Culpa

Postby Me-a Culpa » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:53 pm

I've lived here most my life, and I LOVE the weather. In my opinion, the weather is conducive to school and long hours of studying and working. If I recall correctly, Seattle is the "most well" read and educated city in the country (whatever that means), but I've believed this is because everyone is indoors for 9 months a year. Like other said, the summers are really really nice, but it was not mentioned that summer, and I am dead serious, is about 6 weeks. I've never paid much attention to it, but after thinking about it, there are a lot of "outdoors" people around here. And dogs... lots of dogs.

haider wrote:For the Seattle/SF debate: Now I'm talking about in the city. If you moved out to the burbs (for cheaper living expenses) then there isn't fog... but you have to be prepared to sit in 1+ traffic everyday or pay $12 a day for BART. Something to consider....

SF is expensive, but I'm sure Seattle is right up there. Beyond the theft of the Seattle Sonics, my biggest complains are traffic and cost of living. South Seattle real estate is cheaper (and no offense, but ghetto), but the north-end is equally expensive as the city. Weather wise, the north-end has this crazy "northwest convergence zone" so it rains nearly every day, but clears up by 10 am. As a bonus, you get the wonderful 1+ hour drive into the city, which is about 12 miles away... we were so close to getting the monorail.

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:59 pm

Me-a Culpa wrote:I've lived here most my life, and I LOVE the weather. In my opinion, the weather is conducive to school and long hours of studying and working. If I recall correctly, Seattle is the "most well" read and educated city in the country (whatever that means), but I've believed this is because everyone is indoors for 9 months a year. Like other said, the summers are really really nice, but it was not mentioned that summer, and I am dead serious, is about 6 weeks. I've never paid much attention to it, but after thinking about it, there are a lot of "outdoors" people around here. And dogs... lots of dogs.

haider wrote:For the Seattle/SF debate: Now I'm talking about in the city. If you moved out to the burbs (for cheaper living expenses) then there isn't fog... but you have to be prepared to sit in 1+ traffic everyday or pay $12 a day for BART. Something to consider....

SF is expensive, but I'm sure Seattle is right up there. Beyond the theft of the Seattle Sonics, my biggest complains are traffic and cost of living. South Seattle real estate is cheaper (and no offense, but ghetto), but the north-end is equally expensive as the city. Weather wise, the north-end has this crazy "northwest convergence zone" so it rains nearly every day, but clears up by 10 am. As a bonus, you get the wonderful 1+ hour drive into the city, which is about 12 miles away... we were so close to getting the monorail.

Just looking at Craigslist alone for a 1 BR or Studio, it looks like i can pay $800-1000 in Seattle within walking distance to Seattle U.
To get the same i SF it looks like I should expect to pay around $1200. SF is nationally known as one of the most if not the most expensive city in the nation, up there with Manhattan, Boston and D.C....

Someone correct me if Im wrong?

Me-a Culpa

Postby Me-a Culpa » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:04 pm

No, you're right, SF is at the top of the list. But housing is pricey... especially around the university district (UW). If you're planning on staying, buying in the city is a joke.
oberlin08 wrote:
Me-a Culpa wrote:I've lived here most my life, and I LOVE the weather. In my opinion, the weather is conducive to school and long hours of studying and working. If I recall correctly, Seattle is the "most well" read and educated city in the country (whatever that means), but I've believed this is because everyone is indoors for 9 months a year. Like other said, the summers are really really nice, but it was not mentioned that summer, and I am dead serious, is about 6 weeks. I've never paid much attention to it, but after thinking about it, there are a lot of "outdoors" people around here. And dogs... lots of dogs.

Just looking at Craigslist alone for a 1 BR or Studio, it looks like i can pay $800-1000 in Seattle within walking distance to Seattle U.
To get the same i SF it looks like I should expect to pay around $1200. SF is nationally known as one of the most if not the most expensive city in the nation, up there with Manhattan, Boston and D.C....

LadyLuck2010

Postby LadyLuck2010 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:09 pm

oberlin08 wrote:

You are correct. SF is traditionally in the top three most expensive, if not the most expensive city. Bay area traffic is much worse...Seattle traffic can get a little congested and annoying, but you'll learn to get around it. If you don't end up living within walking distance, avoiding traffic is a great excuse to put in extra time at the library! Just a thought. :D

Me-a Culpa

Postby Me-a Culpa » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:14 pm

Old but relevant: http://www.seattlepi.com/transportation ... tweb.shtml Seattle-Everett ranks #2 in the nation. It has not gotten better.

Pay the extra $$ to live near the school.

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:17 pm

Seattle U is in the Capitol Hill neighborhood right? (not the University District)

Me-a Culpa

Postby Me-a Culpa » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:24 pm

oberlin08 wrote:Seattle U is in the Capitol Hill neighborhood right? (not the University District)

Yea, about 2 miles apart.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:24 pm

oberlin08 wrote:Seattle U is in the Capitol Hill neighborhood right? (not the University District)

correct

if you go down Cherry by Seattle U, and hang a left on 23rd Ave, it takes you all the way to UW (bypasses I-5 traffic)

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:39 pm

What's the deal with the travel stipend for the open house? I received my packet today and they made no mention of it. Do I have to call and ask about it? I'm flying from NJ and staying in a hotel so it's kind of necessary.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:33 pm

mhd08 wrote:What's the deal with the travel stipend for the open house? I received my packet today and they made no mention of it. Do I have to call and ask about it? I'm flying from NJ and staying in a hotel so it's kind of necessary.

I was told by them that they offer $250, which is not nearly enough for flight and hotel. but maybe you can call and ask for more.

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:17 pm

mhd08 wrote:What's the deal with the travel stipend for the open house? I received my packet today and they made no mention of it. Do I have to call and ask about it? I'm flying from NJ and staying in a hotel so it's kind of necessary.

+1 I also want to know about this... I just dropped some serious cash money on a cross country plane ticket..

nickc8

Postby nickc8 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:13 pm

Now that we are pretty much in March and deposit time is around the corner, how many of you are seriously considering SU? I would absolutely LOVE to live and practice in Seattle, but the cost is starting to get to me. I'm lucky to be married and have a wife that will be able to cover 99% of the living expenses, but tuition (with scholarship in mind) still puts the price just about $100k. Would SU be worth this amount of debt? Thoughts, opinions? I know, of course, it's my decision to make, but I'd like to hear from people in the same situation.

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:24 pm

nickc8 wrote:Now that we are pretty much in March and deposit time is around the corner, how many of you are seriously considering SU? I would absolutely LOVE to live and practice in Seattle, but the cost is starting to get to me. I'm lucky to be married and have a wife that will be able to cover 99% of the living expenses, but tuition (with scholarship in mind) still puts the price just about $100k. Would SU be worth this amount of debt? Thoughts, opinions? I know, of course, it's my decision to make, but I'd like to hear from people in the same situation.

Seattle is in my top 3, so I guess I'm seriously considering it. From what I understand, if you want to work in Seattle (Or Washington, or even the Northwest US), then it's worth it.

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:50 pm

sarlis wrote:

I was told by them that they offer $250, which is not nearly enough for flight and hotel. but maybe you can call and ask for more.

Did you call to find out about the stipend for the ASD?

haylie

Postby haylie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:33 pm

Part-Time Summer Starts ,
Anyone hear back yet??

xenoscs

Postby xenoscs » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:57 pm

Hello - lurker here but I thought I'd offer my update.

Admitted today via status tracker - it did not update until today, (sometime between 10:00 and 11:45 a.m.), but the date for the status tracker update says the 26th.

Stats: 162/3.44

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”