Seattle 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
neutral33

New

Re: Seattle 2010

Post by neutral33 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:29 pm

nickc8 wrote:Does anyone know what the tuition will be for 2010-2011?
I just got an email from them regarding financing - they say the tuition for 2010-2011
will be:

1) $38,769 for tuition and fees
2) $903 for books and supplies
3) $16,587 living expenses for 9 months

which brings the total to an astonishing: $56,259

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:31 pm

neutral33 wrote:
I just got an email from them regarding financing - they say the tuition for 2010-2011
will be:

oh, wow.

LadyLuck2010

New

Post by LadyLuck2010 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:34 pm

neutral33 wrote:
will be:

Holy...that's quite a jump! Tuition was in the $33s two years ago, and $35ish last year. I'm sure it's related to them trying to expand the facilities and offset building costs, but still. :( Hopefully the rise in tuition will also somehow be reflected by a rise in the rankings!

panicked

New

Post by panicked » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:30 pm

I don't mean to be rude to those still waiting for decisions, but I'd like to ask a question. I've been accepted to SU's Class of 2013 (Applied 1/21, accepted 03/05, LSAT 161, GPA 3.7, URM). They've offered me $20,500/yr, plus there's additional money available at the end of the 1st year for superior academic performance. The dilemma: I'm an undergrad at SU and don't know if I want to spend my entire academic career in one place. I also have acceptances and some $ at Temple, W&M, and UT Austin, as well as some undecided applications. So my question to you is: what made you decide on SU? I feel like I might be taking the school for granted, and I don't want to be ungrateful. Fwiw, my undergrad experience has been great, and Sullivan's one of our nicer buildings on campus. Thanks so much!

nickc8

Bronze

Post by nickc8 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:37 pm

oberlin08 wrote:
neutral33 wrote:
will be:

oh, wow.
I second that "wow". If this is true, and I have no reason to doubt the validity, it looks like I might be attending my regional T3 with a nice scholly. I was a little hesitant with the tuition at $35k, but this may seal the deal. :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:56 pm

neutral33 wrote:
will be:

Holy sh*t.

amorfati42

New

Post by amorfati42 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:04 pm

Over 38K on tuition alone??? UGH. My scholarship offers to Willamette and Gonzaga just got a lot prettier.

LadyLuck2010

New

Post by LadyLuck2010 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:53 am

panicked wrote:I don't mean to be rude to those still waiting for decisions, but I'd like to ask a question. I've been accepted to SU's Class of 2013 (Applied 1/21, accepted 03/05, LSAT 161, GPA 3.7, URM). They've offered me $20,500/yr, plus there's additional money available at the end of the 1st year for superior academic performance. The dilemma: I'm an undergrad at SU and don't know if I want to spend my entire academic career in one place. I also have acceptances and some $ at Temple, W&M, and UT Austin, as well as some undecided applications. So my question to you is: what made you decide on SU? I feel like I might be taking the school for granted, and I don't want to be ungrateful. Fwiw, my undergrad experience has been great, and Sullivan's one of our nicer buildings on campus. Thanks so much!

I totally get where you're coming from. I went to UW undergrad and swore up and down I wouldn't apply there and would in fact leave the NW all together to branch out somewhere else, preferably sunnier like LA. When it came down to it (and my numbers kept me out of UW) I knew SU was a great regional school in an area I'm already comfortable in and love. All my friends are already in Seattle and my family's close by. I'll be able to make it home for holidays or family emergencies without much cost (other than ga$ obviously). It took me a couple years out of school to get a better picture of what I wanted out of my total law school experience and to see that, for me at least, it's not all about going to a big city where I'd have a better shot at big law.

KIM_SAYS:

New

Post by KIM_SAYS: » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:55 am

Does anyone know how extreme a downward grade trend have to be in order to get your admissions revoked? I got my letter from SU today and I saw that we have to send in final transcripts. I'm scared my GPA this quarter will bring down my cumulative GPA, and I feel like my stats are already borderline...3.5 GPA and my LSAT is slightly above 25%. Any inputs? :?

*Edit* Wait, do they even revoke admissions in LS or is that just for undergrad? Looking a SU website, all it says is

"Send Official Transcript
The transcript must reflect the awarding of your Bachelor’s degree."

So is the final transcript just to show that you got your BA?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:51 am

KIM_SAYS: wrote:Does anyone know how extreme a downward grade trend have to be in order to get your admissions revoked? I got my letter from SU today and I saw that we have to send in final transcripts. I'm scared my GPA this quarter will bring down my cumulative GPA, and I feel like my stats are already borderline...3.5 GPA and my LSAT is slightly above 25%. Any inputs? :?

*Edit* Wait, do they even revoke admissions in LS or is that just for undergrad? Looking a SU website, all it says is

"Send Official Transcript
The transcript must reflect the awarding of your Bachelor’s degree."

So is the final transcript just to show that you got your BA?
Not sure about any Seattle U specific policies. But in general, a decline in your cumulative GPA will not have your admissions decision revoked. They made their decision based on your performance that's indicated in your application and on the condition that you receive your BA/BS upon matriculation. I know for some other professional schools (ie Dental) some students have conditional acceptances indicated in their acceptance letter with the condition that they maintain a 3.xx gpa until graduation. In your case, SU may just be concerned about students completing your BA.

Best advice though would be to try calling SU anomalously and ask em the question.

panicked

New

Post by panicked » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:13 am

I totally get where you're coming from. I went to UW undergrad and swore up and down I wouldn't apply there and would in fact leave the NW all together to branch out somewhere else, preferably sunnier like LA. When it came down to it (and my numbers kept me out of UW) I knew SU was a great regional school in an area I'm already comfortable in and love. All my friends are already in Seattle and my family's close by. I'll be able to make it home for holidays or family emergencies without much cost (other than ga$ obviously). It took me a couple years out of school to get a better picture of what I wanted out of my total law school experience and to see that, for me at least, it's not all about going to a big city where I'd have a better shot at big law.
Thanks, Lady Luck! I really need the input. It's not an easy decision to give up $ at a school like UT Austin, but I've had a great experience at SU, and I know rankings aren't everything. Btw, for everyone worried about tuition: SU's pretty generous with scholarships and grants. They just wrapped up a big fundraising campaign last year, and because they raised more than the target amount, they gave the excess to the students. All of us (including grad students) were encouraged to apply; the application was just a formality, since anyone who showed interest got money. Plus, the first year at SU Law will be expensive, but they give out extra scholarships depending on your rank after the 1st year. So if you're confident that you can beat the curve, tuition won't be so bad. I've got a final in 45 minutes, but I might head over to Sullivan afterwards and try to get an idea of the amounts they give out for performance. Thanks again, Lady Luck! Hope everyone has a great day!

Me-a Culpa

Bronze

Post by Me-a Culpa » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:00 pm

Admitted today, summer start.

drezilla

New

Post by drezilla » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:02 am

upfish wrote:That makes me super happy to hear about the prog for low GPA/high(er) LSAT! I'm Native American, so I'm kind of hoping I got into that prog, given my 2.75/157. My app went into review on the 11th of this month, so I'm hoping to hear back soon.

I just got so excited about maybe getting admitted despite the awful GPA that I had to post instead of lurk per the usual. =)
ha im glad i inspired some hope! Trust me, I have gotten into some great schools with very similar numbers. If you dont get in this cycle, improve your resume and apply early next year. Anything is possible, dont listen to the naysayers!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stad2234

New

Post by stad2234 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:31 pm

Is anybody here also considering University of Oregon Law? Ive been accepted into both schools and was originally planning on going to Seattle U for sure, however, after finding out how much their tuition will be I am a bit hesitant. I would have in-state tuition at UO which would make it about 16K a year cheaper. However, I want to work in Seattle after graduation and think that SU would place a lot better then UO. Plus, Im doing a JD/MBA and have already been accepted into the MBA program at SU. Any thoughts or opinions from people facing this dilemma ??

Bobalou

Bronze

Post by Bobalou » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:07 am

How did you get your acceptance? Via status checker? Snail mail? Email?

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:18 am

Bobalou wrote:How did you get your acceptance? Via status checker? Snail mail? Email?

Status Checker followed by Snail mail

Bobalou

Bronze

Post by Bobalou » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:22 pm

Just got the Waitlist email...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Chudancha

New

Post by Chudancha » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:37 pm

stad2234 wrote:Is anybody here also considering University of Oregon Law? Ive been accepted into both schools and was originally planning on going to Seattle U for sure, however, after finding out how much their tuition will be I am a bit hesitant. I would have in-state tuition at UO which would make it about 16K a year cheaper. However, I want to work in Seattle after graduation and think that SU would place a lot better then UO. Plus, Im doing a JD/MBA and have already been accepted into the MBA program at SU. Any thoughts or opinions from people facing this dilemma ??

Yeah I am in a similar situation, also considering MBA although I have not been accepted. I am on hold at Lewis and Clark in addition, which complicates the decision. Right now i am leaning towards Seattle U, despite its higher costs. I really don't want to get stuck practicing in Eugene, but the quality of life for three years of schooling seems to be higher at U of O. I have instate tuition also. Not sure what your application strength is for your MBA, but U of O is harder to get into then Seattle U.

Its a rough decision and i toil over it every day lol.

stad2234

New

Post by stad2234 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:43 pm

Chudancha wrote:
stad2234 wrote:Is anybody here also considering University of Oregon Law? Ive been accepted into both schools and was originally planning on going to Seattle U for sure, however, after finding out how much their tuition will be I am a bit hesitant. I would have in-state tuition at UO which would make it about 16K a year cheaper. However, I want to work in Seattle after graduation and think that SU would place a lot better then UO. Plus, Im doing a JD/MBA and have already been accepted into the MBA program at SU. Any thoughts or opinions from people facing this dilemma ??

Yeah I am in a similar situation, also considering MBA although I have not been accepted. I am on hold at Lewis and Clark in addition, which complicates the decision. Right now i am leaning towards Seattle U, despite its higher costs. I really don't want to get stuck practicing in Eugene, but the quality of life for three years of schooling seems to be higher at U of O. I have instate tuition also. Not sure what your application strength is for your MBA, but U of O is harder to get into then Seattle U.

Where do you want to end up practicing eventually? One of the main reasons im leaning towards SU is that I want to work in Seattle and UO doesnt place too well outside of Oregon and L&C already dominates the Portland market. I was also checking out each schools clinical and externship programs and it seems to me that SU might be slightly better and a little more diverse-perhaps due to its urban locale. Regardless, still a tough choice!

My MBA application strength is decent. I ran out of time on the math section of the GMAT which completely tanked my score. I think that I would probably have to re-take the GMAT just to bump up my score a little bit on the math section and I have a feeling that after a semester of law school the verbal portion would be even easier. Im also hoping that the law school might provide a sort of back door into the business program. Hopefully.

Chudancha

New

Post by Chudancha » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:30 pm

stad2234 wrote:
Chudancha wrote:

Where do you want to end up practicing eventually? One of the main reasons im leaning towards SU is that I want to work in Seattle and UO doesnt place too well outside of Oregon and L&C already dominates the Portland market. I was also checking out each schools clinical and externship programs and it seems to me that SU might be slightly better and a little more diverse-perhaps due to its urban locale. Regardless, still a tough choice!

My MBA application strength is decent. I ran out of time on the math section of the GMAT which completely tanked my score. I think that I would probably have to re-take the GMAT just to bump up my score a little bit on the math section and I have a feeling that after a semester of law school the verbal portion would be even easier. Im also hoping that the law school might provide a sort of back door into the business program. Hopefully.

I have that same level of hope about the back door. If you can do really good work in law school it seems likely it would help alot. I started my undergrad a little late and don't have the time to find work between my next step, since i have no work experience this may impact my MBA application heavily.

I have looked over the curriculum of u of O and Seattle and have came to the same conclusion about the clinical classes. Seattle U seems to be have more of a skill based focus, although i was unable to find a small-business clinic for Seattle u (something L and C and U of o have).

I ultimately want to practice in a larger city that has a higher ceiling for career prospects, ala Seattle or Portland. I originally was leaning for U of O, but then i started looking at Seattle U and seeing its positive qualities. One stat i found interesting is its transfers in/out numbers compared to most other schools. It has very few transfers out (2) and quite a few transfers in (about 20). Seems either seattle U is a great place or it takes care of its 10th percentile. Or possibly its just a fluke.

izzytovar

New

Post by izzytovar » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:05 pm

Finally got status tracker e-mail saying I am complete since 2/22 and decision pending.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stad2234

New

Post by stad2234 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:22 pm

Chudancha wrote:
stad2234 wrote:
Chudancha wrote:

I have that same level of hope about the back door. If you can do really good work in law school it seems likely it would help alot. I started my undergrad a little late and don't have the time to find work between my next step, since i have no work experience this may impact my MBA application heavily.

I have looked over the curriculum of u of O and Seattle and have came to the same conclusion about the clinical classes. Seattle U seems to be have more of a skill based focus, although i was unable to find a small-business clinic for Seattle u (something L and C and U of o have).

I ultimately want to practice in a larger city that has a higher ceiling for career prospects, ala Seattle or Portland. I originally was leaning for U of O, but then i started looking at Seattle U and seeing its positive qualities. One stat i found interesting is its transfers in/out numbers compared to most other schools. It has very few transfers out (2) and quite a few transfers in (about 20). Seems either seattle U is a great place or it takes care of its 10th percentile. Or possibly its just a fluke.
Ya I would probably have to agree with you on all of the above. Chances are that ill be attending SU this fall. The city is amazing, I know more people up there, great career prospects, dont have to deal with another application cycle, and one of my best friends will hopefully receive admission to the JD/MBA program here soon. Just not a fan of the ridiculous tuition. Hopefully ill have a small scholly on the way here soon and can work my ass off my first year and receive a year end achievement scholarship.

I also have a feeling that it will be easier to find both internships and jobs in Seattle. There is a chance that I might choose to work for a corporation after law school, in which case, Seattle U would provide connections to some of the larger corporations through their business school. All in all I think it would be a great place to spend 4 years.

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:06 pm

Got my Fin Aid award letter today.........
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Me-a Culpa

Bronze

Post by Me-a Culpa » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:11 pm

oberlin08 wrote:Got my Fin Aid award letter today.........
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Me too, 30 minutes ago... 100% SU

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:21 pm

please explain what :shock: :shock: :shock: equals haha

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”