Seattle 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kevin261186

Bronze

Re: Seattle 2010

Post by kevin261186 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:35 pm

Having moved to Seattle from Scotland 5 months ago, I feel fairly well qualified to answer this as an outsider moving to a totally new place.

I found an internship at a law firm here and have been working here for five months, while studying for the LSAT and applying to law schools. Meeting people is fairly easy, but its definitely not easy to make friends. I'm an outgoing person and have met lots of people who are friendly, but don't seem that interested in being friends. Someone on this board aptly said that people in Seattle are (n)ice. The real friends I have made are not locals (a cuple of other British guys and a Bostonian). though not through lack of effort.

I have visited the campus of the UW, but not SU. The students at the UW were nice, the building was new and the atmosphere welcoming, but again I felt as though people would be friendly without actually wanting to be yor friend. Lots of niceness, not much follow thruogh.

Living in the PNW is nice, we have had a mild winter and the scenery is gorgeous. I live in teh Ballard neighbourhood, which is an easy commute to downtown and the U district and has tonnes of bars, restaurants etc. It's an up and coming area of the city.

Soccer is a big deal here so I joined a team to make friends, but have run into the same obstacles. People show up, play, then head off in their own directions. Even though the team I am on has been together for a few years, I get the feeling that hardly any of the players are actually friends.

Sorry to rant on about the friends issue, but it is a big deal for me. It's not like I hate being alone, I just like having a close group of friends. Maybe this will change in LS, but at this point I am considering moving back to Scotland even if I do get accepted. This may be a nice town, but I feel as though people want to live here because of its perception.

Living here is the only way to figure out how good a 'fit' it is for you.

HTH

LadyLuck2010

New

Post by LadyLuck2010 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:55 pm

I'll throw this out there as someone who has lived in the PNW and attended UW for undergrad...

Seattle is an awesome city but can take some getting used to. (N)ice is absolutely accurate. Friendliness is everywhere, but it's a little odd because like the previous post said, no follow through. I don't know if it's because people aren't genuine or because people are flakes. I'm inclined to think the latter. I can be objective about this because I spent about half my time growing up in Georgia and southern California. All I can think is there is some funky connection with the lack of sunshine for the majority of the year that turns people in to recluses. Despite that, I think attending SU would be a different experience because you're thrust in to a much smaller community of people that you will be seeing all the time and who are in the same situation as you. This is just a speculation, but I don't think it will be too hard to make friends during 1L and form lasting relationships.

Overall, Seattle is a beautiful and generally laid-back city with plenty to do both indoors and out. Aside from the cheap eats in the U-District, there are abundent bars with awesome happy hours if you want extremely cheap food. The Metro system is good for the most part. My senior year of college I had to commute from the U-District to downtown and the bus was almost always right on time except maybe 4 or 5 times. It can be a little nerve-wracking if you're cutting it close on time, so plan on getting to the bus stop a good 5-10 minutes before the bus is due to come by and you'll be fine. Traffic isn't too terrible, but I would avoid taking the bus right around 5-6 on workday evenings...for obvious reasons. If you can walk, I would absolutely recommend doing so. Forget the good "walking shoes." Get some rain boots. You will have happy dry feet. I went two years of college miserable in class because my shoes would be soaked from walking less than a mile to class. I finally got rain boots and it made a world of difference.

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:09 pm

Well that doesn't sound too promising.....

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:22 pm

Yea i really really really like sunshine... USF is winning the race today because of that post.

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:24 pm

I like the sun too :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rorystewart

New

Post by rorystewart » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:14 pm

Anyone going to ASD tomorrow?

edge3900

New

Post by edge3900 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:24 pm

haider wrote:
edge3900 wrote:In 1/29 with 12k per year! :D
stats?

161, 3.4. Sorry for the late response.

LadyLuck2010

New

Post by LadyLuck2010 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:51 pm

oberlin08 wrote:Yea i really really really like sunshine... USF is winning the race today because of that post.
Seattle is not for everyone. Like I said, it takes some getting used to. My intent was not to scare anyone off, but just to caution those of you not familiar with our dreary winters. What I WILL say is that summers in the northwest are absolutely BEAUTIFUL and make all the waiting worth it. The nice thing about the rain for the rest of the year is that the constant cloud cover keeps the temperature from ever dropping very low. Mid 30s is usually the worst it will ever get. It is not a harsh climate, but rather temperate...keep in mind Seattle is sheltered from coastal storms by the Olympic peninsula. Also realize that you will be spending the majority of your time indoors, so if anything the gloomy weather may force you to focus more on academics. I personally get some serious ADD when the sun comes popping out...maybe that's due to lack of sunshine overall. Another nice thing about summertime in Seattle is how long the days thanks to being so far north. Take my word for the summers being amazing. I would schedule a visit within the next month or so in order to get a feel for some of the less than amazing weather. That's what you'll be dealing with for the majority of your time, so better experience it now than fool yourself by coming on some beautiful sunny weekend and end up being depressed after you've made the move.

Also, while San Francisco is gorgeous as well, they are in a much more exposed bay and it can get VERY chilly there. It's a damp cold and they are prone to pretty dense fog...which I love, but again...maybe not for everyone. I don't know where you're from originally but don't make the mistake of thinking San Francisco is warm and sunny all the time just because it's California.

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:12 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm from D.C., and realize that San Fran isnt like SoCal, but also am of the understanding that it isnt as dreary as Seattle?

I'm quite concerned because my UG was near Cleveland, OH which like Seattle, is very dreary during the fall winter and spring months. Except that it snowed heavily during the winter months (instead of just rain). And I know that had a huge effect on my mood, whenever that day sometime in late april or may would come and it was magically sunny - it seemed like the best day of my life.

I wont rule out Seattle University just because of weather, but It will be a pretty significant part of my decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

edge3900

New

Post by edge3900 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:44 pm

Just my 2cents as a Seattlite for the last 6 years. If you enjoy the outdoors you will love Seattle. It may not be sunny all the time (the summers are renowned for being some of the best anywhere) but oddly, even given this, there is a huge culture surrounding outdoor stuff. Hiking, skiing, climbing, etc are all over and just miles from the downtown core.

There is also alot of young people and the stuff that goes along with that (good bar scene) which is spread over a few neighborhoods each with their own flare (i.e Fremont is a little fratty, Cap Hill is hipster-ish, belltown is for dudes who pop collars) but there is something here for everyone.

So it's a cool, young place. That said, the lack of sunshine will be a problem for some people but it is fairly comparable to the NE. I have visited NYC alot and found the weather there to be worse and just as gray. The only difference here is that instead of a torrential downpour we just have constant drizzles during the winter months. The winters are mild though and we rarely have snow, and it actually hit 60 degrees last week! But for those coming from FL or CA, there is definitely and adjustment in your first winter here.

LadyLuck2010

New

Post by LadyLuck2010 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:01 am

edge3900 wrote:Just my 2cents as a Seattlite for the last 6 years. If you enjoy the outdoors you will love Seattle. It may not be sunny all the time (the summers are renowned for being some of the best anywhere) but oddly, even given this, there is a huge culture surrounding outdoor stuff. Hiking, skiing, climbing, etc are all over and just miles from the downtown core.

There is also alot of young people and the stuff that goes along with that (good bar scene) which is spread over a few neighborhoods each with their own flare (i.e Fremont is a little fratty, Cap Hill is hipster-ish, belltown is for dudes who pop collars) but there is something here for everyone.

So it's a cool, young place. That said, the lack of sunshine will be a problem for some people but it is fairly comparable to the NE. I have visited NYC alot and found the weather there to be worse and just as gray. The only difference here is that instead of a torrential downpour we just have constant drizzles during the winter months. The winters are mild though and we rarely have snow, and it actually hit 60 degrees last week! But for those coming from FL or CA, there is definitely and adjustment in your first winter here.
This put it very nicely. I really didn't want to come across as turning anyone off from Seattle.
oberlin08 wrote:Thanks for the info. I'm from D.C., and realize that San Fran isnt like SoCal, but also am of the understanding that it isnt as dreary as Seattle?

I'm quite concerned because my UG was near Cleveland, OH which like Seattle, is very dreary during the fall winter and spring months. Except that it snowed heavily during the winter months (instead of just rain). And I know that had a huge effect on my mood, whenever that day sometime in late april or may would come and it was magically sunny - it seemed like the best day of my life.

I wont rule out Seattle University just because of weather, but It will be a pretty significant part of my decision.

Unlike Ohio, Seattle does benefit from the west coast keeping the temps moderate, so you won't have cold winters and feet of snow. Every so often there will be an inch or two and people go nuts, but that's about it. It's usually a drizzle that's off and on throughout the day. Being from DC, you may enjoy a break from the hot and humid summers. Again...moderate temps in Seattle. I know what you mean about your mood though...I've given in to indoor tanning - it does wonders for my ability to stay upbeat. A source you may consider looking at is city-data.com. If you scroll down a bit you'll find charts concerning weather and climate. It should show you that Seattle actually averages warmer summer days than San Francisco. That's probably a result of the city being sheltered by the Olympic peninsula, which I referenced earlier. On the other hand, San Fran's winter's are warmer overall, so it's really a toss up. You may also want to consider cost of living. San Francisco is much more expensive. Definitely check out the site though. It may be able to give you a better snapshot of each city you're considering.

haider

New

Post by haider » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:31 pm

For the Seattle/SF debate:

As some one that grew up in the Bay Area and frequents San Francisco a lot I can just tell you one word about SF weather: FOG. I've never been to Seattle so I can't compare... but if dreary weather gets you down, I'm guessing SF isn't much better than Seattle. The fog is pretty consistent in the morning for about 3/4 of a year...

Typical morning in SF:
And it won't burn off until the afternoon.

Now I'm talking about in the city. If you moved out to the burbs (for cheaper living expenses) then there isn't fog... but you have to be prepared to sit in 1+ traffic everyday or pay $12 a day for BART. Something to consider....

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:50 pm

So, I'm aware of the fog in SF. there are a lot of factors between the two choices that I'll have to consider that aren't weather related, like the cost of rent in Seattle being wayyyy lower in Seattle than SF.

I'm also still waiting from my top-choice school and some others so it's still early.

I wouldn't live in the burbs in SF, at least not for the 1L year as I think I would want to live as close to campus as possible while I figure out the city and the surrounding areas (I've spent all of 2 days in my entire life in SF, and 0 days in Seattle).

Like I said before, Ill be going to the ASD at the end of March. Is anyone else going to that one?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

haider

New

Post by haider » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:06 pm

oberlin08 wrote:
Like I said before, Ill be going to the ASD at the end of March. Is anyone else going to that one?
ME! Do you know where you're staying?

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:13 pm

haider wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:

No clue lol. Maybe i'll listen to the schools recomendations for places to stay...?

haider

New

Post by haider » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:43 pm

oberlin08 wrote:
haider wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:

No clue lol. Maybe i'll listen to the schools recomendations for places to stay...?

Based on this: http://www.law.seattleu.edu/Office_and_ ... o_Stay.xml
it looks like they recommend every place within a couple blocks lol. Have you found another more narrow list somewhere? I need somewhere cheap because the travel stipend I got will basically only cover airfare, but it'd be nice to be around other people going to the Open House.

LadyLuck2010

New

Post by LadyLuck2010 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:05 pm

haider wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:
I'm planning on going to the one in March as well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AM05

New

Post by AM05 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:33 pm

LadyLuck2010 wrote:
haider wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:
I'm planning on going to the one in March as well.
+1

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:47 pm

How long does it usually take to receive the acceptance package in the mail? My status checker changed to accepted last Friday, but I haven't received anything in the mail yet. I'm on the east coast so it might take a little longer.

AM05

New

Post by AM05 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:53 pm

I received my packet the Thursday after I was admitted (on a Friday). I'm near Seattle though so I'm not sure how long it would take to make it to the east coast.

edge3900

New

Post by edge3900 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:55 pm

took me a little while, I actually got a letter first and then the full packet with scholly info and other stuff about a week later, so it may take a little time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LadyLuck2010

New

Post by LadyLuck2010 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:06 pm

3 days for me, but I'm in state. I'd call if it doesn't show up by next Tuesday or Wednesday.

AM05

New

Post by AM05 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:07 pm

edge3900 wrote:took me a little while, I actually got a letter first and then the full packet with scholly info and other stuff about a week later, so it may take a little time.
That's interesting, my letter came inside the packet. Maybe it changed since January...

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:38 pm

Thanks guys... I'll definitely call them if I don't get it by Wednesday.

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:42 pm

did everyone receive accepted status updates on fridays?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”