Seattle 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
oberlin08

Bronze

Re: Seattle 2010

Post by oberlin08 » Fri May 14, 2010 4:58 pm

juliosilverwolf wrote:
autoding wrote:
juliosilverwolf wrote:Congrats to you guys finally admitted! So - Who is going to Spring Visit Day on Monday, and who is starting in June? (Me, on both counts, for one).

Where did you receive the info for the Spring Visit day?
I think in an email, and maybe the website? Lemme look....

--LinkRemoved--

Yea it came in an E-Mail.

TheRyanocerous

Bronze

Post by TheRyanocerous » Fri May 14, 2010 5:36 pm

upfish wrote:
TheRyanocerous wrote:
rufioooooo wrote:so how hard is it to get A's with this grade curve? i've never had to deal with a grading curve before....
I'm a 2L at SU and the curve is set to a B- so its pretty hard to get an A. there were probably 5 - 10 people in my 90 person section that got A's. Everyone in LS is coming in having never gotten anything other than A's their entire life, but 75% of the class or more are not going to get an A, so be prepared for a shock to the system. LS grading is a crap shoot you will get B+'s in classes you barely studied for an C+'s for classes you thought you had down cold.
There are people with UG 4.0s at SU? o.O

I've heard that the curve makes you look bad to prospective employers because other schools curve at B+. Can you comment on that?
I should say you are competing against a lot of people that have never failed in school, and even if you got bad grades in undergrad it was from a lack of effort and not because of a lack of intelligence. In law school you will study 12 hours a day, every day, for over a month for the final and half the class will get a B- or worse. That can be demoralizing lol. As far as the curve goes it does and it doesn't hurt you. You are probably going to work in Seattle if you go to SU, and SU is 4 or 5 times the size of UW so there are a ton of alums around. All of these alums had the same curve and understand that it sucks. Plus your grades are only important for your first job and after that they dont really care. Big firms go exclusively off your grades. Besides that its up in the air how much the employer really cares. If you want to work in business or outside of the legal profession grades in LS really dont matter at all, some small firms take them really seriously some dont, its all about the employer. So the curve, your grades, your activities, all that stuff just really depends on where you want to work,and who you want to work for. Also in seattle I dont get the impression that any employers give a shit whether you went to UW or SU. I have never felt any sort of bias at all so keep that in mind.

DrPlacebo

New

Post by DrPlacebo » Sat May 15, 2010 1:54 am

Admitted (last week), but will put my withdrawal letter in the mail this weekend. Good luck to those still waiting for a decision, and those on the waitlist.

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Sun May 16, 2010 12:31 pm

TheRyanocerous wrote:
upfish wrote:
TheRyanocerous wrote:
rufioooooo wrote:so how hard is it to get A's with this grade curve? i've never had to deal with a grading curve before....
I'm a 2L at SU and the curve is set to a B- so its pretty hard to get an A. there were probably 5 - 10 people in my 90 person section that got A's. Everyone in LS is coming in having never gotten anything other than A's their entire life, but 75% of the class or more are not going to get an A, so be prepared for a shock to the system. LS grading is a crap shoot you will get B+'s in classes you barely studied for an C+'s for classes you thought you had down cold.
There are people with UG 4.0s at SU? o.O

I've heard that the curve makes you look bad to prospective employers because other schools curve at B+. Can you comment on that?
I should say you are competing against a lot of people that have never failed in school, and even if you got bad grades in undergrad it was from a lack of effort and not because of a lack of intelligence. In law school you will study 12 hours a day, every day, for over a month for the final and half the class will get a B- or worse. That can be demoralizing lol. As far as the curve goes it does and it doesn't hurt you. You are probably going to work in Seattle if you go to SU, and SU is 4 or 5 times the size of UW so there are a ton of alums around. All of these alums had the same curve and understand that it sucks. Plus your grades are only important for your first job and after that they dont really care. Big firms go exclusively off your grades. Besides that its up in the air how much the employer really cares. If you want to work in business or outside of the legal profession grades in LS really dont matter at all, some small firms take them really seriously some dont, its all about the employer. So the curve, your grades, your activities, all that stuff just really depends on where you want to work,and who you want to work for. Also in seattle I dont get the impression that any employers give a shit whether you went to UW or SU. I have never felt any sort of bias at all so keep that in mind.
Huh. I always heard that UW grads had top pick, and I was SUPER nervous given how the market seems to be total shit for law grads just in general right now. TLS has basically made me feel unemployable. =X I didn't realize that SU Law was that much bigger than UW Law, and I hadn't thought about SU grads understanding the curve and also being in a position to hire me.

This has made me a little bit more hopeful. Thanks for the info! :D

cbatson

New

Post by cbatson » Wed May 19, 2010 2:29 pm

well to cap off an absolutely terrible experience with a school that I considered my top choice (honestly the worst admissions office of any school I applied to), I got waitlisted today. Even though I'm good enough for Davis and Minnesota, apparently I'm only wait list material for Seattle. I'm a little bitter about this because I wanted to stay in Seattle but it honestly wouldn't have made any sense for me to turn down Minnesota (with $$$) for Seattle even if I got in. Good luck to everyone still waiting but I think they are pretty much full cause I should have been an auto admit (169, 3.35 GPA compared with their medians 159, 3.5)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bschroeder

New

Post by bschroeder » Wed May 19, 2010 2:33 pm

cbatson wrote:well to cap off an absolutely terrible experience with a school that I considered my top choice (honestly the worst admissions office of any school I applied to), I got waitlisted today. Even though I'm good enough for Davis and Minnesota, apparently I'm only wait list material for Seattle. I'm a little bitter about this because I wanted to stay in Seattle but it honestly wouldn't have made any sense for me to turn down Minnesota (with $$$) for Seattle even if I got in. Good luck to everyone still waiting but I think they are pretty much full cause I should have been an auto admit (169, 3.35 GPA compared with their medians 159, 3.5)
"(honestly the worst admissions office of any school I applied to)"

I agree completely

seattlite

New

Post by seattlite » Wed May 19, 2010 3:23 pm

cbatson wrote:well to cap off an absolutely terrible experience with a school that I considered my top choice (honestly the worst admissions office of any school I applied to), I got waitlisted today. Even though I'm good enough for Davis and Minnesota, apparently I'm only wait list material for Seattle. I'm a little bitter about this because I wanted to stay in Seattle but it honestly wouldn't have made any sense for me to turn down Minnesota (with $$$) for Seattle even if I got in. Good luck to everyone still waiting but I think they are pretty much full cause I should have been an auto admit (169, 3.35 GPA compared with their medians 159, 3.5)
My guess is that they probably know that with your stats, you would not go to SU unless you got significant money from them. They might be out of money right now (or maybe even period this year), or they might just have thought that you weren't serious about going there (esp if you applied really late in the cycle). With your stats, if you really want to go to SU, I would call up the Admissions Office and explain how it is your first choice (if, in fact, it is) and your stats. I have had very, very pleasant experiences with the Adcomms at SU so I am not sure why you say that "honestly the worst admissions office of any school I applied to". :shock:

SU is really good in the local area so if you want to practice in Seattle or even the PNW after you graduate, you might want to seriously consider contacting them. Minnesota is a great school, but from what I understand, it is primarily Midwest-centric so you probably would need to plan on being in the Midwest for at least a couple of years after law school if you go there. Just my 2 cents.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide! :wink:

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Thu May 20, 2010 10:42 am

seattlite wrote:
My guess is that they probably know that with your stats, you would not go to SU unless you got significant money from them. They might be out of money right now (or maybe even period this year), or they might just have thought that you weren't serious about going there (esp if you applied really late in the cycle). With your stats, if you really want to go to SU, I would call up the Admissions Office and explain how it is your first choice (if, in fact, it is) and your stats. I have had very, very pleasant experiences with the Adcomms at SU so I am not sure why you say that "honestly the worst admissions office of any school I applied to". :shock:

SU is really good in the local area so if you want to practice in Seattle or even the PNW after you graduate, you might want to seriously consider contacting them. Minnesota is a great school, but from what I understand, it is primarily Midwest-centric so you probably would need to plan on being in the Midwest for at least a couple of years after law school if you go there. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed. Sounds like YP to me.

autoding

New

Post by autoding » Thu May 20, 2010 7:06 pm

Received my acceptance package in the mail today, and I was surprised to find an offer of $$ enclosed.

I will now definitely be attending SU next year, I can't wait!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jepoy

New

Post by jepoy » Fri May 21, 2010 10:22 am

autoding wrote:Received my acceptance package in the mail today, and I was surprised to find an offer of $$ enclosed.

Congrats on the $ offer. I got mine yesterday too, but no $. Does anyone know if they would offer a scholarship with the financial aid letter?

juliosilverwolf

New

Post by juliosilverwolf » Fri May 21, 2010 10:35 am

jepoy wrote:
autoding wrote:Received my acceptance package in the mail today, and I was surprised to find an offer of $$ enclosed.

Congrats on the $ offer. I got mine yesterday too, but no $. Does anyone know if they would offer a scholarship with the financial aid letter?

It would come with your acceptance letter.

Grats on the acceptances!

neutral33

New

Post by neutral33 » Sat May 22, 2010 1:34 am

seattlite wrote:

I have nothing against Seattle U and I might actually end up attending there this fall, but it doesn't really make sense to me that you would choose Seattle U over U of Minnesota - I am not all that big on rankings but I think rankings does matter when you compare two schools and one of them is nearly top 20, and the other is in the 80s zone. And I would imagine Minnesota is marketable in big firms even in places like NY or LA, not just in the midwest, and I would actually think you would have an advantage even in places like Seattle when employers want to try hiring a non-UW or Seattle U grad. I mean, Seattle certainly seems like a great city, and location is important, and family and friends are important, but is Seattle U a better all-around academic institution than a school like U of Minnesota - that's a questions that is difficult to say a firm yes to.

SEATTLEITE188

New

Post by SEATTLEITE188 » Tue May 25, 2010 4:07 am

The 38 K tuition and a 60% employment rate scares me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Tue May 25, 2010 8:54 am

SEATTLEITE188 wrote:The 38 K tuition and a 60% employment rate scares me.

+1

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Fri May 28, 2010 3:05 pm

This is why I'm retaking the LSAT on June 7th and using SU as a back-up plan. =X I realized I couldn't stomach $150k+ in debt, good job or no. =/

juliosilverwolf

New

Post by juliosilverwolf » Fri May 28, 2010 3:08 pm

upfish wrote:
This is why I'm retaking the LSAT on June 7th and using SU as a back-up plan. =X I realized I couldn't stomach $150k+ in debt, good job or no. =/
Are you planning on applying for next year, or is there something I'm missing about how a new LSAT score might help for this year?

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Fri May 28, 2010 3:59 pm

Is anyone doing the laptop purchase plan through Dell?

If so, which model are you thinking you're going to go with?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Fri May 28, 2010 4:01 pm

oberlin08 wrote:Is anyone doing the laptop purchase plan through Dell?

Dude get one through best buy and buy their warranty, it'll be cheaper and you get the same kind of tech support without having to mail off your laptop.

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Fri May 28, 2010 4:05 pm

savagedm wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:Is anyone doing the laptop purchase plan through Dell?

Dude get one through best buy and buy their warranty, it'll be cheaper and you get the same kind of tech support without having to mail off your laptop.

Hmm... Mail off? Isn't the tech center at SU a Certified Dell Repair shop?

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:26 am

It is, or you can save some $$ and get a cheaper laptop (like an asus) and buy a protection plan with it, you'll save time/money cause with those plans in places like best buy they repair them on site using geek squad. Staples has their easytech now which is decent enough for 99% of your problems, Costco flat out replaces the damned thing, and I think our tech can repair any PC really if you give it to them. The main point I am trying to make is that you are essentially wasting extra $$ on Dell for the name that you need not waste. Their main selling point is their service, but our techies can do the PC repairs we need so the Dell warranty is then moot. Save your money bro, you dont want to end up paying the interest on a Dell you bought with a student loan (if thats the route you're taking) when you could have gotten the same thing for less elsewhere.

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:23 am

savagedm wrote:It is, or you can save some $$ and get a cheaper laptop (like an asus) and buy a protection plan with it, you'll save time/money cause with those plans in places like best buy they repair them on site using geek squad. Staples has their easytech now which is decent enough for 99% of your problems, Costco flat out replaces the damned thing, and I think our tech can repair any PC really if you give it to them. The main point I am trying to make is that you are essentially wasting extra $$ on Dell for the name that you need not waste. Their main selling point is their service, but our techies can do the PC repairs we need so the Dell warranty is then moot. Save your money bro, you dont want to end up paying the interest on a Dell you bought with a student loan (if thats the route you're taking) when you could have gotten the same thing for less elsewhere.

Thanks, I almost did this but then just decided i really hate PCs, so i went with an apple through my current employer's discount program (not paying with loans).

I'll just use bootcamp to run Windows 7, and hope for the best.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:05 pm

oberlin08 wrote:
savagedm wrote:It is, or you can save some $$ and get a cheaper laptop (like an asus) and buy a protection plan with it, you'll save time/money cause with those plans in places like best buy they repair them on site using geek squad. Staples has their easytech now which is decent enough for 99% of your problems, Costco flat out replaces the damned thing, and I think our tech can repair any PC really if you give it to them. The main point I am trying to make is that you are essentially wasting extra $$ on Dell for the name that you need not waste. Their main selling point is their service, but our techies can do the PC repairs we need so the Dell warranty is then moot. Save your money bro, you dont want to end up paying the interest on a Dell you bought with a student loan (if thats the route you're taking) when you could have gotten the same thing for less elsewhere.

Thanks, I almost did this but then just decided i really hate PCs, so i went with an apple through my current employer's discount program (not paying with loans).

for sure, if your mac gives you a problem I may know a person or two who can help you (most of my friends are EEs who specialize in making computers run and/or fire laser beams at things)

emilyadi

New

Post by emilyadi » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:25 am

oberlin08 wrote:

You should be fine with bootcamp and win7. I'm a 2L at SU and I'd guess about 1/5 students use a mac for the exams. A lot also use dells and acers. The computer techs are pretty friendly and will generally give you tech support with any machine. Though they say they won't provide support for macs, I believe they'll still help you out if you have issues.

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:40 pm

I officially withdrew today. Maybe I'll see you guys next year, and I hope one of you gets my scholly money. =)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”