Seattle 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mhd08

Bronze

Re: Seattle 2010

Post by mhd08 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:51 pm

oberlin08 wrote:
sarlis wrote:
mhd08 wrote:What's the deal with the travel stipend for the open house? I received my packet today and they made no mention of it. Do I have to call and ask about it? I'm flying from NJ and staying in a hotel so it's kind of necessary.
I was told by them that they offer $250, which is not nearly enough for flight and hotel. but maybe you can call and ask for more.

Did you call to find out about the stipend for the ASD?
I did call and the person I spoke to had no idea. She gave me the e-mail address of the Associate Director of Admissions. As soon as I hear back I'll let you know.

EDIT: This is part of the e-mail I got: "We can allow up $250 to be reimbursed. You’ll just need to turn in receipts to me for reimbursement. Let me know which event you will be attending so that we can do an RSVP for you. We look forward to seeing you."

Well hopefully the $250 will cover most of my flight. Sooo I'm pretty poor... who has info on good hostels?!

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:52 pm

mhd08 wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:
sarlis wrote:
mhd08 wrote:What's the deal with the travel stipend for the open house? I received my packet today and they made no mention of it. Do I have to call and ask about it? I'm flying from NJ and staying in a hotel so it's kind of necessary.
I was told by them that they offer $250, which is not nearly enough for flight and hotel. but maybe you can call and ask for more.

Did you call to find out about the stipend for the ASD?
I did call and the person I spoke to had no idea. She gave me the e-mail address of the Associate Director of Admissions. As soon as I hear back I'll let you know.

EDIT: This is part of the e-mail I got: "We can allow up $250 to be reimbursed. You’ll just need to turn in receipts to me for reimbursement. Let me know which event you will be attending so that we can do an RSVP for you. We look forward to seeing you."

Well hopefully the $250 will cover most of my flight. Sooo I'm pretty poor... who has info on good hostels?!

I was thinking of maybe staying here: --LinkRemoved--

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:59 pm

for what it's worth, ive walked by the green tortoise dozens of times, and it seems like a decent place
Last edited by uwb09 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Me-a Culpa

Bronze

Post by Me-a Culpa » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:01 pm

oberlin08 wrote:I was thinking of maybe staying here: --LinkRemoved--
The location is nothing like the website depicts. If you're squeamish around crack-dealers and prostitutes, I would suggest looking around.

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:18 pm

Me-a Culpa wrote:
The location is nothing like the website depicts. If you're squeamish around crack-dealers and prostitutes, I would suggest looking around.
HA that would make for an interesting trip. I'm gonna keep researching hostels. We should pick one that we can all stay at! It might make things easier as far as getting around and not being alone in a new city.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:26 pm

Me-a Culpa wrote:

Interesting, google maps streetview doesnt look that bad but I'll take your word for it and air on the side of caution.

Me-a Culpa

Bronze

Post by Me-a Culpa » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:49 pm

oberlin08 wrote: Interesting, google maps streetview doesnt look that bad but I'll take your word for it and air on the side of caution.
From the google maps streetview and what I can tell, it has moved half a block. The bad area is 2nd and Pike, but it is just a small area. Notice the Déjà vu half a block north? It's the local strip club and very ghetto (from what I've heard, ha), and just around that building you'll find junkies laying in the parking lot. Stuff like that does not bothered me, but if anyone is from a small town or not used to this kind of stuff, it could be a shock.

I'd find a few people and share a room at the Silver-Cloud Inn. http://www.silvercloud.com/14home.htm It's directly across the street from SU. I've not stayed there, but 5 minutes after the LSAT, I spent 4.5 hours getting hammered at their bar. Don't know about the "Mexican" style food, but their vodka is good.

loumagoo

New

Post by loumagoo » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:43 pm

haylie wrote:Part-Time Summer Starts ,
Anyone hear back yet??
I am part-time summer start and in via status checker as of 02/26/10 (didn't show up on the status checker until this afternoon though).

156/3.36

So excited!

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:59 pm

Just got waitlisted via email.

Kinda miffed.

Going to fire off more LORs and a LOCI.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KIM_SAYS:

New

Post by KIM_SAYS: » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:03 pm

DonnyMost wrote:Just got waitlisted via email.

Kinda miffed.

Ugh sorry about that. :(

How long were you in review? They're taking their sweet time with my app.

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:06 pm

KIM_SAYS: wrote:

Kinda miffed.

Ugh sorry about that. :(

How long were you in review? They're taking their sweet time with my app.
Started review 1/12 I think.

amorfati42

New

Post by amorfati42 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:15 pm

Just admitted via status checker! So glad because I just set up a visit with them on Friday. I'll be interested to see if I get any money from them considering I have borderline numbers, but it's still one of my top choices!

haylie

New

Post by haylie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:55 pm

Kinda miffed.

what were your numbers?

i'm sick of being waitlisted at nearly every school applied! :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:04 pm

Kinda miffed.

Hey Donny...wanna race submarines?

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:26 am

haylie wrote:

Kinda miffed.

what were your numbers?

i'm sick of being waitlisted at nearly every school applied! :(
Everything's in the profile.

Even more in the link therein.

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:27 am

PlugInBaby wrote:

Kinda miffed.

Hey Donny...wanna race submarines?
I'm not so much a submarine as a canoe that tipped over.

MisterChase

New

Post by MisterChase » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:09 am

Y'know, I applied, and I got all the email correspondence, as well as the "Pre-admit/Post-admit" checklist in the mail.. but never did I get any link to a status checker.

Anyone have this happen?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:03 am

MisterChase wrote:Y'know, I applied, and I got all the email correspondence, as well as the "Pre-admit/Post-admit" checklist in the mail.. but never did I get any link to a status checker.

Anyone have this happen?
yes, didn't get my status checker e-mail till late last week when I applied mid/late January. When I logged in it said my app has been complete since Feb 1st

MisterChase

New

Post by MisterChase » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:34 am

YES!!! I'M IN!!!

What a huge relief. I can get rejected by every other school I applied to, and at the end of the day, I'm still happy. Because baby, I am IN, at Seattle University.

My GPA/LSAT: 3.56/155

And FWIW, I know two of my three recommendations were probably extremely good -- as in 99th percentile good in terms of whatever criteria adcomms use to evaluate LORs; I had very intimate (no, not THAT kind) relationships with these professors, one of which has sent people to MIT (in economics).

P.S. Funny, I still never did get that status checker! :)

KIM_SAYS:

New

Post by KIM_SAYS: » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:29 am

MisterChase wrote:YES!!! I'M IN!!!

What a huge relief. I can get rejected by every other school I applied to, and at the end of the day, I'm still happy. Because baby, I am IN, at Seattle University.

And FWIW, I know two of my three recommendations were probably extremely good -- as in 99th percentile good in terms of whatever criteria adcomms use to evaluate LORs; I had very intimate (no, not THAT kind) relationships with these professors, one of which has sent people to MIT (in economics).

Niiice, congrats!! We have really similar stats, so I'm hoping for a similar outcome as well. :) When did you apply?

I'm expecting to hear back soon. I ended up e-mailing SU yesterday asking them how long before I should hear back. According to them, "There are two stages of the review process and your file is in the final stage. A decision should be made on your file in the near future." I like their fortune cookie-esque e-mail.

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:44 am

Niiice, congrats!! We have really similar stats, so I'm hoping for a similar outcome as well. :) When did you apply?

I'm expecting to hear back soon. I ended up e-mailing SU yesterday asking them how long before I should hear back. According to them, "There are two stages of the review process and your file is in the final stage. A decision should be made on your file in the near future." I like their fortune cookie-esque e-mail.
When did you apply? Now I'm thinking about emailing them as well. It has benn awhile sinxe I applied.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MisterChase

New

Post by MisterChase » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:07 am

I applied on December 31st, 2009.

Received the "Receipt of Electronic Application" email on January 4th, 2010.

On January 27th, I received notification via email that my file was complete as of the 14th of January.

March 3rd: Received "The Big Envelope".

Good luck and may the best happen to you all.

echelon

New

Post by echelon » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:44 am

That's a relief to hear about a long delay from electronic receipt to file complete. I got my electronic receipt on the 19th and have been waiting for anything since then.

KIM_SAYS:

New

Post by KIM_SAYS: » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:30 pm

roguey wrote:

When did you apply? Now I'm thinking about emailing them as well. It has benn awhile sinxe I applied.
I applied Jan. 5 and have been in review since Jan. 14th. It's most likely not as long as you/others have been in review, but I was getting REALLY antsy, knowing that SU is my top choice and others with similar stats have been getting in.

The person who e-mailed me said it generally takes 6-8 weeks after the complete date for a decision to be made. I'm hoping she meant 6 to 8 weeks after the IN REVIEW date....because I've been in review since Jan. 14th. I'm guessing I should've been complete a bit BEFORE the 14th. So she said that March 11th would be the eighth week mark. I don't know how much I can trust her on that since there are people way past the eighth week, but I have hope.

Good luck!

MisterChase

New

Post by MisterChase » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:44 am

[edit: This was a double-post. Since I can't seem to delete it, I will instead post pictures.]

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by MisterChase on Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”