Seattle 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
haylie

New

Re: Seattle 2010

Post by haylie » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:56 pm

is anyone STILL waiting to hear from this school?! Decision has been pending FOREVER!

hopeful200

New

Post by hopeful200 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:25 pm

I am still waiting :S
Been waiting since 1/5 , im getting really anxious now

fsm2000

New

Post by fsm2000 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:06 am

has anyone attempted negotiating scholarships with SU? and, has anyone received the washington state scholars scholarship? if so, what were your stats?

i was accepted via status checker today (went complete on 1/28) and i'm trying to get a feel for how much money i can potentially expect/negotiate for. thanks!!

LadyLuck2010

New

Post by LadyLuck2010 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:31 am

fsm2000 wrote:has anyone attempted negotiating scholarships with SU? and, has anyone received the washington state scholars scholarship? if so, what were your stats?

i was accepted via status checker today (went complete on 1/28) and i'm trying to get a feel for how much money i can potentially expect/negotiate for. thanks!!
I sent an email to them explaining that I would love to attend SU but had a very generous offer from a competitive school and would appreciate possibly being considered for a scholarship increase. While I didn't expect them to match, any increase may make my decision easier (I tried to be as polite and undemanding as possible). I heard back in about a week and they upped it 25%. Every bit helps, right? Good luck.

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:25 am

christine2013 wrote:Kind of random but are any of the visiting students meeting up at a restaurant friday night to get food/drinks after the open house? I don't know anyone so it would be nice to meet up with people who are also checking out the school? I am from SF so Ill be staying the whole weekend to check out the city too.
Hey! I'm from NJ and I don't know anyone either, so I would love to go out after! I'll be staying from Thursday - Sunday to get a better feel for the city. Can anyone from the area suggest a nearby restaurant or bar that would be fun? We should somehow try to differentiate ourselves as TLSers haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LadyLuck2010

New

Post by LadyLuck2010 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:03 am

mhd08 wrote:
christine2013 wrote:Kind of random but are any of the visiting students meeting up at a restaurant friday night to get food/drinks after the open house? I don't know anyone so it would be nice to meet up with people who are also checking out the school? I am from SF so Ill be staying the whole weekend to check out the city too.
Hey! I'm from NJ and I don't know anyone either, so I would love to go out after! I'll be staying from Thursday - Sunday to get a better feel for the city. Can anyone from the area suggest a nearby restaurant or bar that would be fun? We should somehow try to differentiate ourselves as TLSers haha.
Twist in Belltown and Contour on First and Columbia both have really good happy hours. Fado Irish Pub is also right by Contour and is pretty decent and relaxed. Elysian Brewery is right by campus but you may want to see more of the city. Gordon Biersch in Pacific Place is another place I like for happy hour (plus they have a good full menu) and it's right in the middle of all the downtown shopping so that's fun.

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:05 am

mhd08 wrote:

+1

Snazzygirl

New

Post by Snazzygirl » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:11 am

Probably a peripheral issue for most of you, but does anyone know what the crime is like in/around Seattle? Is there a Seattle "lifer" or 1L/2L who can share? (or if you think you have a good gauge from visiting)

I was robbed at gunpoint at my UG Jesuit institution - I love, repeat, LOVE Jesuit schools, but their placement in typically harsher urban areas, while it never bugged me before (even attracted me w/r/t public interest), now presents a major detraction from my desire to attend such school (making me think twice about UConn in Hartford :-/ )

Any honest feedback would be MUCHO appreciated!

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:21 am

- if I get my welcome packet soon with an invite for friday night's shindig, i'd be more than happy to go out with you all into downtown seattle afterwards and show you around a bit

- Personally I am not that worried about crime at Seattle U, i mean unless you move out to the wheat fields of Idaho there will always be a risk of crime, and in a downtown environment like seattle U that risk is obviously going to be higher, but I've been by/to the campus dozens of times and I've always felt safe

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LadyLuck2010

New

Post by LadyLuck2010 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:30 am

Snazzygirl wrote:Probably a peripheral issue for most of you, but does anyone know what the crime is like in/around Seattle? Is there a Seattle "lifer" or 1L/2L who can share? (or if you think you have a good gauge from visiting)

I was robbed at gunpoint at my UG Jesuit institution - I love, repeat, LOVE Jesuit schools, but their placement in typically harsher urban areas, while it never bugged me before (even attracted me w/r/t public interest), now presents a major detraction from my desire to attend such school (making me think twice about UConn in Hartford :-/ )

It's an urban area, so you can expect crime, but it's not too horrible. There is a decent sized homeless population that tends to sleep in Occidental Park under the totem poles... Put it this way, I wouldn't be walking around by myself in the Stadium or International District at night. I'm also not a fan of 4th & Stewart down to 1st & Pike at night. The U District has it's fair share of "Ave Rats" (the local homeless population consisting of primarily of harmless Darrell and fellow weirdos at the bus stops on University Way). You'll be fine if you avoid obviously bad situations. Check out city-data.com for more broken down stats...I did that with all the cities I was looking at moving to for school. You'll see Seattle is nowhere near as bad as some cities of equal or greater size.

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:03 pm

mhd08 wrote:

Anyone happen to check the weather report in Seattle for the weekend? I guess we should get used to it if we want to go there for law school plus some.

meddlingkid

Bronze

Post by meddlingkid » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:06 pm

Just withdrew today--good luck to all!

(BTW it's FINALLY sunny here)

uwb09

Silver

Post by uwb09 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:07 pm

oberlin08 wrote:
mhd08 wrote:

Anyone happen to check the weather report in Seattle for the weekend? I guess we should get used to it if we want to go there for law school plus some.
lame, it's been blue skies and low 60s since last week, sad that its going back to cloudy for this weekend

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Snazzygirl

New

Post by Snazzygirl » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:16 pm

LadyLuck2010 wrote:
Snazzygirl wrote:Probably a peripheral issue for most of you, but does anyone know what the crime is like in/around Seattle? Is there a Seattle "lifer" or 1L/2L who can share? (or if you think you have a good gauge from visiting)

It's an urban area, so you can expect crime, but it's not too horrible. There is a decent sized homeless population that tends to sleep in Occidental Park under the totem poles... Put it this way, I wouldn't be walking around by myself in the Stadium or International District at night. I'm also not a fan of 4th & Stewart down to 1st & Pike at night. The U District has it's fair share of "Ave Rats" (the local homeless population consisting of primarily of harmless Darrell and fellow weirdos at the bus stops on University Way). You'll be fine if you avoid obviously bad situations. Check out city-data.com for more broken down stats...I did that with all the cities I was looking at moving to for school. You'll see Seattle is nowhere near as bad as some cities of equal or greater size.
Thanks! Yea - obviously any city will have its share of crime. I went to school in Milwaukee and, unfortunately, the city saw a huge rise in armed robberies around the surrounding campuses. It's a tough area (one of most racially segregated US cities) and students really feared their safety. I walked home from the library at 2am as a freshman and sophomore (6 blocks, past bus stops, etc.) and felt fine, but by senior year I was worried to walk a block at 10pm. Note - I was robbed at noon on a Sunday...with my MOM (paradoxically I was moving out of my apt after graduation). So I just don't want to settle somewhere that's known to have high crime. THANKS!

ps - Did anyone catch the latest NYTimes about how California has begun to release "low threat" prisoners in their attempt to deal with their budget crisis (i.e. reduce overcrowding prisons --> reduction in recidivism rate (highest in the country)? http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/24/us/24 ... wt=nytimes

My desire to go to SCU/USD/Davis continues to dwindle...

edge3900

New

Post by edge3900 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:21 pm

I live on Capitol Hill, where SU is, and I'll be at the ASD. If you guys want to hit up some bars afterward that would be great. Moe Bar is my favorite and is only a block or two from campus.

vacations

Bronze

Post by vacations » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:34 pm

Hello all,

I've been out of town and just found out I was waitlisted as of last week- bummer.

Seattle remains my top choice. Should I send in a LOCI asap or should I send one to have it arrive around April 15th (after the first deposit is due) ??

Many thanks for your help everybody =)

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:51 pm

edge3900 wrote:I live on Capitol Hill, where SU is, and I'll be at the ASD. If you guys want to hit up some bars afterward that would be great. Moe Bar is my favorite and is only a block or two from campus.
Sounds good to me!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LadyLuck2010

New

Post by LadyLuck2010 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:56 pm

vacations wrote:Hello all,

I've been out of town and just found out I was waitlisted as of last week- bummer.

Seattle remains my top choice. Should I send in a LOCI asap or should I send one to have it arrive around April 15th (after the first deposit is due) ??

Many thanks for your help everybody =)
Send it asap if it's your top pick!

ConMan345

Silver

Post by ConMan345 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:57 pm

LadyLuck2010 wrote:

As a Seattle native, I second this. As with any city, in the middle of the night, keep your wits about you and mind your business. I've felt less safe in SF than in Seattle, and SF is not known for crime.

Me-a Culpa

Bronze

Post by Me-a Culpa » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:10 pm

Is anyone starting summer Crim Law? I received my acceptance just before a vacation, so I cannot access my "snail" mail. It's killing me...

Has SU sent anything beyond the original package? While I did get an email about the seat deposit, I'm expecting much more...

Chudancha

New

Post by Chudancha » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:22 pm

I was one of the first to report acceptance and i have received tons of stuff from Seattle U. The two really important things though are the initial admittance packet and financial aid packet.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Snazzygirl

New

Post by Snazzygirl » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:43 pm

ConMan345 wrote:
LadyLuck2010 wrote:

As a Seattle native, I second this. As with any city, in the middle of the night, keep your wits about you and mind your business. I've felt less safe in SF than in Seattle, and SF is not known for crime.
Thanks! I have never heard anything about there being a lot of crime, etc. in Seattle...but I just wanted to make sure! I'm planning on visiting the second week of April and am SO excited - looks/sounds like an AWESOME city.

christine2013

New

Post by christine2013 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:57 am

oberlin08 wrote:
mhd08 wrote:

+1
Yay :) Yes Ill be there friday to sunday as well to check out the city. Glad I am not the only one.....

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:13 am

christine2013 wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:
mhd08 wrote:

+1
Yay :) Yes Ill be there friday to sunday as well to check out the city. Glad I am not the only one.....
Yes! I'm getting pretty pumped... especially for my flight which leaves for Seattle in 6.5 hours (still awake because I procrastinated on packing). Oh wait, I have to be there by 5:30 for a 7:30 flight because of the new security measures :evil:
Oh well... I really would love to meet up with fellow TLSers after the open house on Friday. Any ideas on how to identify ourselves? Should we just pick a restaurant/bar and meet there?

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:24 am

That could be cool. But i dont know any restaurants or bars in seattle.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”