Rutgers-Camden

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Jerzeegirl

Re: Rutgers-Camden

Postby Jerzeegirl » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:18 pm

I would prefer to go to Rutgers-Newark only because of the proximity to my home but I still haven't heard from them. My app went complete almost 3 months ago :( Should I assume its not happening and send in my seat deposit for Camden? ASD totally sold me on Camden but I'm not thrilled about moving.

kissy

Postby kissy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:45 pm

i was thoroughly shocked [they must not have looked at my transcript...] when i received my acceptance and "scholarship," and have mailed in my deposit. i was wondering if anyone had any information regarding on-campus housing, as i was unable to find anything useful on housing.camden.rutgers.edu.

on a separate note, does anyone know if the jump start program has filled up .. it says that last summer's closed out in less than 2 hours :shock:

needless to say, i'm not thrilled about living in camden, but i had zero expectations of attending a tier 1 school so i can't really complain. i am leaning towards on-campus housing, if possible, but have heard and read that the victors wasn't half bad and requires a fob.

my parents attended dean's day because i was in sunny st. lucia and i couldn't believe the build-a-bear part...

Jerzeegirl

Postby Jerzeegirl » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:57 pm

kissy wrote:i was thoroughly shocked [they must not have looked at my transcript...] when i received my acceptance and "scholarship," and have mailed in my deposit. i was wondering if anyone had any information regarding on-campus housing, as i was unable to find anything useful on housing.camden.rutgers.edu.

on a separate note, does anyone know if the jump start program has filled up .. it says that last summer's closed out in less than 2 hours :shock:

needless to say, i'm not thrilled about living in camden, but i had zero expectations of attending a tier 1 school so i can't really complain. i am leaning towards on-campus housing, if possible, but have heard and read that the victors wasn't half bad and requires a fob.

my parents attended dean's day because i was in sunny st. lucia and i couldn't believe the build-a-bear part...

Either there were several admitted students vacationing in St. Lucia on Saturday or your parents were standing next to me talking to the housing people. I laughed when I read this. The housing lady was actually saying to the parents, "would you like to adopt me?" after she heard they were attending in place of their child, who was in St. Lucia. LOL. Small world (or St. Lucia is a common destination for future Camden students :lol: ).

kissy

Postby kissy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:01 pm

Jerzeegirl wrote:
kissy wrote:i was thoroughly shocked [they must not have looked at my transcript...] when i received my acceptance and "scholarship," and have mailed in my deposit. i was wondering if anyone had any information regarding on-campus housing, as i was unable to find anything useful on housing.camden.rutgers.edu.

Either there were several admitted students vacationing in St. Lucia on Saturday or your parents were standing next to me talking to the housing people. I laughed when I read this. The housing lady was actually saying to the parents, "would you like to adopt me?" after she heard they were attending in place of their child, who was in St. Lucia. LOL. Small world (or St. Lucia is a common destination for future Camden students :lol: ).

hahaha that had to have been them [barry & stephanie kissler], and the funny thing is, I'M adopted. i'm overjoyed and eagerly awaiting the fall, but i really really REALLY want to live on campus. i have terrible ADD and don't want all the distractions, plus i don't plan on wearing a bullet-proof vest to and from class. did you enjoy the day?

JuTMSY4

Postby JuTMSY4 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:02 pm

Are any of you the annoying girl from Penn who wouldn't shut up about Penn...

Sorry you're not going to Penn again...

Jerzeegirl

Postby Jerzeegirl » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:14 pm

Yes, I loved the day, and No, I'm not the annoying girl from Penn. I didn't really speak to anyone except some of the 2Ls about housing and the girl sitting next to me during the welcoming remarks. Thank you to the person who posted the phone number for off-campus housing. Very much appreciated.

jasonac21

Postby jasonac21 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:21 pm

Jerzeegirl wrote:Yes, I loved the day, and No, I'm not the annoying girl from Penn. I didn't really speak to anyone except some of the 2Ls about housing and the girl sitting next to me during the welcoming remarks. Thank you to the person who posted the phone number for off-campus housing. Very much appreciated.

Just to be clear, that number is to a company that owns a couple of buildings in the Haddonfield and other areas. They're not connected to Rutgers at all.

I also found these apts in Cherry Hill:
http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/NJ ... ments.html
and
http://www.mynewplace.com/detail/5W06QR ... e-property

A lady I spoke with from Rutgers said quite a few students rent there. Got some terrible reviews though (although they were awhile ago...).

Anyone have any luck with craigslist? The site kinda freaks me out a bit. You never know what you're going to get...

As for getting shot in Camden, don't worry about it. The area around campus is totally safe and if you do live off campus and take the PATCO the stop is less than a block away. If you want to drive, the student parking lot has a shuttle service that takes you right on campus. The parking pass is about $280 With that being said, I wouldn't venture too far off campus.

Queenjane87

Postby Queenjane87 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:22 pm

I made my rounds to the philly schools this weekend: Drexel, Temple and Rutgers. The deans day was really well organized and certainly sold the school. Looks like I'll be making my deposit there!

Are any of you considering living in Philly? I am since the city is so close but I worry I may be the only one not living in Jersey.

Also, does anyone have insight into Temple vs. Rutgers-Camden for job placement? I loved Temple (have been waitlisted there) but my parents prefered Rutgers. I am not sure if either school is significantly better than the other as far as job opportunities. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

kartal

Postby kartal » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:45 pm

Queenjane87 wrote:I made my rounds to the philly schools this weekend: Drexel, Temple and Rutgers. The deans day was really well organized and certainly sold the school. Looks like I'll be making my deposit there!

Are any of you considering living in Philly? I am since the city is so close but I worry I may be the only one not living in Jersey.

Also, does anyone have insight into Temple vs. Rutgers-Camden for job placement? I loved Temple (have been waitlisted there) but my parents prefered Rutgers. I am not sure if either school is significantly better than the other as far as job opportunities. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Temple is far superior. I would choose Temple over Camden without a blink of eye.

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:52 pm

Yes! I got my acceptance packet today!!! Very excited! No shirt though :( I think I am going to book a flight for the 3rd week of April to view the campus and the surrounding area.

I have been google mapping haddonfield, cherry hill areas and I honestly only see houses... where are the apartments? If anyone is interested in living in those areas and wants to get a house PM me!! I think having a house would be pretty cool but I am also willing to get an apartment.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:09 pm

Just stumbled upon the SBA Blog
http://rulawcamdensba.blogspot.com/

There's a bunch of interesting stuff there. But one reason so many people were at Dean's Law Day this year was because it didn't conflict with the UVA softball trip :lol:.

JuTMSY4

Postby JuTMSY4 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:02 am

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:Yes! I got my acceptance packet today!!! Very excited! No shirt though :( I think I am going to book a flight for the 3rd week of April to view the campus and the surrounding area.

I have been google mapping haddonfield, cherry hill areas and I honestly only see houses... where are the apartments? If anyone is interested in living in those areas and wants to get a house PM me!! I think having a house would be pretty cool but I am also willing to get an apartment.

It comes separately

wiggysmalls13

Postby wiggysmalls13 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:51 am

Any of you late acceptance people get finaid yet? I called the financial aid office to check...I told them I was doing summer start so they said they would put a notation on my file (hopefully meaning since i'm starting earlier, they'll get to me faster).

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:31 am

Is creating a NetID username and password necessary right now? Do I get access to any more information about the school?

jasonac21

Postby jasonac21 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:10 pm

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:Is creating a NetID username and password necessary right now? Do I get access to any more information about the school?

They didn't seem to have me in the database, did it work for you?

wiggysmalls13

Postby wiggysmalls13 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:17 pm

The net ID says for incoming students so maybe you cant register until they have your deposit and know you're coming? Either way I'm not in the database.

kissy

Postby kissy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:20 pm

jasonac21 wrote:
GoodToBeTheKing wrote:Is creating a NetID username and password necessary right now? Do I get access to any more information about the school?

They didn't seem to have me in the database, did it work for you?

I e-mailed support@whatever and they told me to try again next week, as we're not yet in their database.

In addition, On-Campus Housing registration forms will be available on their housing website sometime tomorrow.

Anyone considering the Jump Start Program??

jasonac21

Postby jasonac21 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:47 pm

I've enrolled in the jump start class. I think it'll be pretty beneficial.

If anyone else is in the summer program and needs a roommate for the year, I'm now looking at renting at the Haddonview apartments (thanks goodtobeking!). PM me if you're interested.

kissy

Postby kissy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:11 pm

Same here, just received an e-mail from Nancy Rupert confirming placement in Contracts Session 3. I don't plan on living off-campus for the first year, the on-campus apartments are (according to my parents) very nice, with a gym, free hbo/etc., yadayadayada. There are four singles and a common space, and I feel like this is going to be a great way to meet people / form&join study groups, and that sort of thing.

Queenjane87

Postby Queenjane87 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:45 pm

I sort of hate that they offer the jump start program. I feel that I'll be at a disadvantage if I don't do it - but it will be a pain logistically for me. I won't be able to move into my apartment due to extenuating circumstances until August 1st. So it would mean either staying in my cousin's guest room for a month or commuting from DC, staying in NJ 4 days a week and driving back on the weekends. Do you think the jumpstart is worth all this? I need some advice!

kissy

Postby kissy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:51 pm

Queenjane87 wrote:I sort of hate that they offer the jump start program. I feel that I'll be at a disadvantage if I don't do it - but it will be a pain logistically for me. I won't be able to move into my apartment due to extenuating circumstances until August 1st. So it would mean either staying in my cousin's guest room for a month or commuting from DC, staying in NJ 4 days a week and driving back on the weekends. Do you think the jumpstart is worth all this? I need some advice!

I don't know if they were told to say this, or if they felt it was the right thing to say ... but from what I've heard (like I said, my parents attended the ASD in my absence) the majority of students who didn't take advantage of the program wish they had. In addition, according to the school's website the students who participate in the Jump Start program tend to perform better academically (which isn't all that surprising considering the fact that you have one month to focus on your first class, and then only take 10 credits during your first semester - compared to the 14 you would've taken had you not enrolled in the Jump Start program).

hth

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:05 pm

Queenjane87 wrote:I sort of hate that they offer the jump start program. I feel that I'll be at a disadvantage if I don't do it - but it will be a pain logistically for me. I won't be able to move into my apartment due to extenuating circumstances until August 1st. So it would mean either staying in my cousin's guest room for a month or commuting from DC, staying in NJ 4 days a week and driving back on the weekends. Do you think the jumpstart is worth all this? I need some advice!

If I go, I won't be doing it. I need the $$, so I'd rather stay at my job.

jasonac21

Postby jasonac21 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:07 pm

kissy wrote:Same here, just received an e-mail from Nancy Rupert confirming placement in Contracts Session 3. I don't plan on living off-campus for the first year, the on-campus apartments are (according to my parents) very nice, with a gym, free hbo/etc., yadayadayada. There are four singles and a common space, and I feel like this is going to be a great way to meet people / form&join study groups, and that sort of thing.

Hmm, I just checked out on campus housing and it doesn't sound too bad. I lived in a similar arrangement sophomore year of undergrad and it worked OK. The only thing that I don't like is that the QOL in Camden isn't very good. I mean, if you want to go for a run or something outside, you're going to have to take the PATCO somewhere. Same for grocery shopping. Whereas, in Collingswood or Cherry Hill, parking is much cheaper (or free) and you really don't have to worry about crime (for the most part). Of course, having people around you in the same situation is always nice and the "no hassle living" is also a plus. Decisions decisions...

kissy

Postby kissy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:13 pm

jasonac21 wrote:
kissy wrote:Same here, just received an e-mail from Nancy Rupert confirming placement in Contracts Session 3. I don't plan on living off-campus for the first year, the on-campus apartments are (according to my parents) very nice, with a gym, free hbo/etc., yadayadayada. There are four singles and a common space, and I feel like this is going to be a great way to meet people / form&join study groups, and that sort of thing.

Hmm, I just checked out on campus housing and it doesn't sound too bad. I lived in a similar arrangement sophomore year of undergrad and it worked OK. The only thing that I don't like is that the QOL in Camden isn't very good. I mean, if you want to go for a run or something outside, you're going to have to take the PATCO somewhere. Same for grocery shopping. Whereas, in Collingswood or Cherry Hill, parking is much cheaper (or free) and you really don't have to worry about crime (for the most part). Of course, having people around you in the same situation is always nice and the "no hassle living" is also a plus. Decisions decisions...

I know what you mean. I'm from Bergen County (as Northern NJ as you can get) and have never in my entire life traveled even remotely close to Camden, so I really don't know what to expect. I'm not too worried about how much parking is going to cost on or around campus, but I have heard from numerous alumni that the best bet as far as QOL goes is living in Philly. I don't plan on living off-campus until the second year, and I sure as hell hope they have some sort of supermarket relatively close to campus. I'm in the process of scheduling a tour for sometime in the next few weeks, so I really won't have anything too constructive to say until I've actually seen the campus in person. With that being said, I've heard an equal amount of horror stories and pleasant things about RU-C...

jasonac21

Postby jasonac21 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:23 pm

Uh oh, what horror stories have you heard?

Living in Philly would be nice, but I'm from out of state so I need to gain residency.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”