Rutgers-Camden

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Onion

Re: Rutgers-Camden

Postby Onion » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:01 am

jlhc55 wrote:For those of you who got accepted: Was there anything in your packet saying you needed to reply by 15 April? My packet didn't say anything about it, and I am wondering if I got everything. I got (1) a single letter saying congratulations and (2) a larger packet with my t-shirt and info on the ASD. Was i supposed to get something else?

Also, I'm not going to the ASD as my friend is getting married the same day. Do you think I should RSVP no, or just let it go?

First off, congrats to your friend! Secondly, I would RSVP "no" for a few reasons. As someone else on the board stated, they will send you the information you will miss more quickly, and you do not want to seem like you are ignoring them/ not on top of dates and deadlines (at least I would not want to appear that way).

jasonac21

Postby jasonac21 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:27 am

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:so i just found from admissions that because i won't attend Law Day they will mail my acceptance packet out on the following Monday. No one steal my packet!!!!

And, to the above posters, why do you think RU-C will fall in the rankings? It sucks we don't have a student posting on here to talk to.

We won't steal your packet, just your Rutgers shirt... ;]

I think dp meant it probably won't go down in the rankings.

So who still has to read the case for the mock class? I've already read it twice, briefing it now.

JK

Onion

Postby Onion » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:29 am

jasonac21 wrote:
GoodToBeTheKing wrote:so i just found from admissions that because i won't attend Law Day they will mail my acceptance packet out on the following Monday. No one steal my packet!!!!

And, to the above posters, why do you think RU-C will fall in the rankings? It sucks we don't have a student posting on here to talk to.

So who still has to read the case for the mock class? I've already read it twice, briefing it now.

JK

I would not even have a clue as to how to go about briefing a case... while on the subject, what is briefing a case and how is it done? (Man I probably sounds like a moron!)

BorisSandron

Postby BorisSandron » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:50 pm

Onion wrote:
jasonac21 wrote:

JK

I would not even have a clue as to how to go about briefing a case... while on the subject, what is briefing a case and how is it done? (Man I probably sounds like a moron!)

Dont worry, i dont know how to brief a case yet either. If you want to get started on it Im sure that you can find infor on the net. just search it.

in other news... ill be seeing some of you on saturday - im really excited about it.

JuTMSY4

Postby JuTMSY4 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:19 pm

Yeah, I'll be there...

Are any of you guys (and gals) looking into the summer program? I'd like to do it, but with a job, I think its probably best i maintain employment until august

Jerzeegirl

Postby Jerzeegirl » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:55 pm

Do you actually have to attend every event listed on the schedule? I was planning on dropping in, grabbing my acceptance packet and taking a stroll around the campus. Is that frowned upon?

sabathia27

Postby sabathia27 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:55 pm

i think once you have that admission packet the world is yours. cant wait wait to pick up mine.

jasonac21

Postby jasonac21 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:20 pm

So I know this is a rough subject, but I found this map that I thought was pretty useful (and incredibly sad). It's a google map of where the homicides in Camden took place since 2007.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/section/camdenmap10

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:23 am

jasonac21 wrote:So I know this is a rough subject, but I found this map that I thought was pretty useful (and incredibly sad). It's a google map of where the homicides in Camden took place since 2007.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/section/camdenmap10

Well that seals the deal... if I go to Camden I am living in a suburban city like Cherry Hill. I am just worried about making it to school when it snows.

Jerzeegirl

Postby Jerzeegirl » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:35 pm

sabathia27 wrote:i think once you have that admission packet the world is yours. cant wait wait to pick up mine.

Hope you're right. I don't think I can stay long but I'd like to check out the campus a bit. Even though I received an e-mail that I'm in, I'm still going to worry until I have something a bit more official in my hands.

sabathia27

Postby sabathia27 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:30 pm

Jerzeegirl wrote:
sabathia27 wrote:i think once you have that admission packet the world is yours. cant wait wait to pick up mine.

Hope you're right. I don't think I can stay long but I'd like to check out the campus a bit. Even though I received an e-mail that I'm in, I'm still going to worry until I have something a bit more official in my hands.

Yea I got that email too. It'll be nice to actually have the packet. It was a weird feeling reading that without all the admission info, but what could wrong from here right...right? please say i'm right.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:55 pm

jasonac21 wrote:
keg411 wrote:
My sister's excited about the Build-a-Bear and ice cream. She's 24 :lol:. My parents actually really wanted to go since they're alums from RU-C Law, but they're on vacation.

Hey Keg, what are your overall thoughts of RU-C? If you know, what do your parents think about the job market for RU grads?

I'll be visiting tomorrow, so I'll let you now my thoughts then. My parents really don't have a current ongoing connection to the Law School or anything, so they can't really speak much about jobs.

jasonac21

Postby jasonac21 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:52 pm

ASD was pretty good. Nice bag of stuff, although no shirt. All the speakers were good and I really got a sense that people love the school. I was pretty much sold going in so I'm a bit biased though.

The area around the campus is very safe and didn't feel like Camden at all. With that being said, go three or four blocks in any direction and its pretty run down. I wouldn't say it's dangerous, but I wouldn't walk around in those parts.

I took the PATCO from Haddonfield to the stop at Rutgers and had no problems. The stop is literally a block from the law school and I would feel OK walking to and from there at night (absolutely confident during the day). Haddonfield itself is great. In fact, I found all the little suburb towns really nice. I stayed in Philly but really didn't have enough time to walk around there, I did get a cheese steak though, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Also, I found a nice 2 bedroom apartment in Haddonfield (super close to the PATCO) so if anyone needs a roommate and is taking the summer contracts course or can move in on or around May 1st let me know. I'll PM you with the details if you're interested.

I also heard the Victor Lofts were way overpriced and not all that great. A couple students that stayed there last year called it kinda fake nice, where they make everything look nice but the rooms are made really cheaply; thin walls, etc. Just a heads up! There are other closer apartments around the campus that are cheaper I guess but I don't want to live in Camden so I didn't really check it out.

So that's about. See everyone in the fall (or summer if you're taking the summer course)!

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:23 pm

great insight! anyone else who attended Law Day care to share their thoughts? What were the main selling points that the school tried to make? Did they make any notion of how they are trying to improve or how they have improved? anything along these lines would be greatly appreciative!

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:41 pm

I also went to today's ASD and thought they did an excellent sell on the school. I'm pretty much leaning that way right now but it could change in the next couple of days. It's pretty much between Rutgers and... the other Rutgers at this point :lol:. I left my "bag of swag" in the theater by accident ( :( ), but did do the Build-a-Bear thing :D.

The alumni panel was extremely impressive (at least the one I sat in on) and I really liked how clerkships are kind of the foundation of the school so they don't strike me as overly struggling ITE (like, this is pretty much the way they've always done it -- so there's no need for a change or adjustment). The proximity to the Federal Court was also super impressive and the students seemed engaged and active. My sister and I also got a chance to briefly chat with Rob Andrews which was cool in a geeky way if you're into NJ politics :).

I kind of wish they had an student panel because I had a few questions about housing/living and what the current students had lined up (my guess? Clerkships.), but I'll probably try to look into some of that in the next few weeks or so. I'm trying to figure out whether the on-campus housing is "worth it" or if it's better to live in Center City with law school roommates (I'm a NJ resident so I get in-state no matter where I live).

Overall, I really liked what I saw today. I do have some concerns here or there that I still need to get more information on, and I'm going to see if they are willing to match my RU-N scholly, but RU-C is definitely a "finalist" for me.

jasonac21

Postby jasonac21 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:36 am

Yeah I too wish there was a student panel but I did get to talk to a few after lunch. They pretty much said that the victor is over priced and that on campus housing is nice but expensive. Two individuals I talked to were also convinced that you can get in state tuition your first year if you sign a 12 month lease. All be calling tomorrow to double check.

The alumni were very impressive. I was in the green group in the moot court room. The prosector guy was especially impressive. Of course, they're not going to bring in people that don't have jobs. I really liked talking to the profs at lunch. Rutgers has some really great professors.

Sorry for any spelling errors I'm flying home right now and typing on my iPod.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:32 am

I'm just trying to figure out if the on-campus housing is more expensive than Philly + commute. I won't be living in the suburbs or anywhere else in Camden if I go there because I'm a NJ resident already so I don't need to worry about getting in-state.

In terms of the alumni, obviously they weren't going to bring in people that weren't working, but I'm talking more in comparison to so of the alumni panels at other events. Not compared to students obviously. Of the students you talked to, what did they have to say about the job situation? Or did they just all have clerkships? (BTW, if anyone is curious, judicial clerkships is RU-C's "thing"; most are state appellate clerkships, but the do place in Federal Clerkships as well. This isn't like traffic court PT clerkships or any type of BS job at the courthouse to keep their students employed). I only was able to ask two students about their current situations and one was a PT student who I don't think planned on changing jobs (he worked for a large corporation) and the other was a 2L transfer from a very very low ranked school who got a late start on career stuff, but did was doing a clinic during the summer and had a clerkship lined up for her 3L fall.

Jerzeegirl

Postby Jerzeegirl » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:32 pm

Loved the ASD. If I wasn't sold before, I am now!!! Was a little sad we didn't get shirts :(

As far as housing, I spent some time with the off-campus housing people and the lofts sounded great but one of the 2L volunteers didn't have a single nice thing to say so it scared me off a bit. If anyone knows a nice option other than the lofts, please post. Trying to stay under 1200 a month, if possible. On-campus housing not an option.

jasonac21

Postby jasonac21 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:08 pm

I toured a place in Haddonfield that is literally across the street from the PATCO. The number for the company that rents it out is 856-783-8080 . They only had two bedroom places available at $1200 with heat and water included. I think the realtor that deals with that place has a few others in different towns so it wouldn't be a bad idea calling them. Other than that, I don't know. I'd like to hear some other options as well.

If anyone is taking the summer class and needs a roommate let me know!

CSKNJ

Postby CSKNJ » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:48 pm

I was really impressed by the ASD. Here are some of the highlights:

1)The campus is very much a traditional urban college campus. There is a firm sense of solidarity and safety too it, that I didn't expect. Going in I thought Rutgers-Camden was just a couple buildings in the middle of Camden that Rutgers has taken over.

2)The proximity to the courthouse is a really cool feature to the campus. The ability to walk across the street and observe high profile cases will provide some great learning experiences.

3)Their clerkship placement statistic, second in the nation to Yale, is impressive.

4)I'm definitely taking advantage of the summer contracts course they offer. Everyone I talked too said that having to take three rather than four classes your first semester is invaluable in allowing you to focus more thoroughly on your work.

5)The law building itself had been recently renovated/expanded on and seemed very modern.

I think I'm going to commute in to Camden for my summer course and then get an apartment in Philly. On craigslist I saw one bedroom apartments listed for $600-$900. I've always wanted to live in the city, and the in-state tuition and scholly money will alleviate some of the extra costs.

roecyris

Postby roecyris » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:51 pm

I was also at the ASD and I wasn't totally sold on the school, but after this visit I'm closer to it. The truth is that I don't have many options at this point since I want to stay near philly. I'm currently waitlisted at Villanova and waiting to hear from Temple & Drexel.

That being said, here are some of my thoughts from the ASD:

- LOVED the bag of swag, lol, that kind of stuff always works on me. Plus my Build-A-Bear is very cute and cuddly.

- Prof. Clark was amazing to learn with in the Mock 1L class. I got called on and didn't mess up which made me pretty happy, although he seemed to let ppl mess up and just roll with it so as not to embarass anyone on a day they used to sell the school VERY hard.

- Now that I've mentioned it, I know the point of the day is to sell the school, but for me it was a bit over the top. I appreciate that those ppl that spoke to us love Rutgers, but it was a bit much imo.

- The campus it self is nice enough, but I think it was Spring Break at Rutgers b/c there was absolutly no one around, I'm curious how it feels walking building to building when the campus is full of people.

- I was nervous about sitting with a professor at my table during lunch but I ended up sitting with two librarians and Prof. Steven F. Friedell which was an amazing coicidence since I currently work at a library and Prof. Friedell teaches classes on Jewish law and I studied at a yeshiva in Israel for a year before finishing undergrad. For the record, this was my personal highlight and this is what would cause me to go more than anything else. For better or for worse.

sabathia27

Postby sabathia27 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:41 pm

keg411 wrote:I'm just trying to figure out if the on-campus housing is more expensive than Philly + commute. I won't be living in the suburbs or anywhere else in Camden if I go there because I'm a NJ resident already so I don't need to worry about getting in-state.

is that how this works? can you keep your home address and then just rent in philly and be considered in state?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:41 pm

sabathia27 wrote:
keg411 wrote:I'm just trying to figure out if the on-campus housing is more expensive than Philly + commute. I won't be living in the suburbs or anywhere else in Camden if I go there because I'm a NJ resident already so I don't need to worry about getting in-state.

is that how this works? can you keep your home address and then just rent in philly and be considered in state?

Yes, they're not going to take your residency away unless you go out of your way to establish it in another state (i.e. change your driver's license, register to vote, etc. etc.).

I also do agree that the sell was a little "much", but then again, you have to convince people to go to school in Camden. It's far from an easy-sell school so I can see why they did what they did.

And Prof. Clark was totally awesome. He's been at RU-C forever and taught Torts to both of my parents. They said he used to go out drinking with the students back in the day :lol:

JuTMSY4

Postby JuTMSY4 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:24 am

I'm also stuck between temple (pending) and RU-C. While I'm not a huge jersey fan, I do like that they're a peer in the Philly area and own south Jersey...a nice option.

I'll give me two cents:

-The program itself was positive. The dean of admissions knew who I was when she saw my name and put everything together in her head. I obviously enjoyed the free stuff.

-The housing situation is confusing. I met a 1L who suggested to live in the victor because its worth the extra cost for an easier commute and supposedly quality housing.

-I'm kind of annoyed at how big the summer program is. A) It adds a couple grand to CoA and B) gives a leg up against folks like me who need to put in a few months work in to save...

- While still giving a positive spin, one of the alumni I spoke with didn't try to give false satisfaction to those outside the top 10-20%. She suggested that you focus on grades and maybe a journal. Perhaps another group for social events but that's about it. She also said she felt as though she was on equal footing with temple and 'nova kids and that the clerkships were very big in her mind (she was presently clerking).

-Another note from alumni. Almost all said cost was a HUGE factor in their choice.

-I'm still not sure what 1/4th of the student body was doing at a Law school event at 8am for. I'm assuming free food and a T.

-For those of you with Scholarships, the Dean said that the higher level is around top 25% and the secondary level is top 40%. Additionally, if you lose your scholarship, you can regain either position if your cum GPA comes up. She also noted that classes in 1L were curved to around a 3.2 (for median) and that that curve moves up for electives and suggested that many students regain their scholarships or position.

-I went to an urban campus in UG and it fits me well. I'm used to calling security and what not as needed (though I generally just walk in groups) so that didn't faze me. That being said, I crossed under the bridge to go back to Philly and the difference was immense.

-I'll be looking for a roommate starting around 8/1 if anyone's interested (PM me). I'm not opposed to living anywhere (safe, obviously) but would prefer the sub 750 (per person) per month.

*Anyone else get their financial aid info in the mail? Mine included a work study and a 1L I spoke with was using his (before I knew I had it) and seemed as though it wasn't a big deal. Are there many RA positions?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:28 am

Thanks for the extra info. That's some stuff I didn't get answered, though I'm considering the on-campus housing, which I think is separate from the Victor (or are they one in the same??? Not quite sure). Still iffy between Newark/Camden, though :?.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”