Rutgers-Camden

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kartal

Re: Rutgers-Camden

Postby kartal » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:20 am

Bearcat wrote:Just received acceptance letter via email yesterday from Camden! I applied extremely late and with my subpar gpa of 2.43, I thought that I wouldn't have a shot but studying for the LSAT seems to have paid off. In with $5k a year pending a 3.3 GPA or higher. This was my first acceptance and I was surprised at how fast the response was because I went complete at the end of February. Who else is going to visit on Dean's Law Day? Hope to see you guys there.

What is your LSAT score?

JuTMSY4

Postby JuTMSY4 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:39 pm

Sclerenchyma wrote:
JuTMSY4 wrote:Anyone know anything about travel stipends to RU-C?

I think I'll be attending the Dean's Day as well - Heard anything about travel stipends? (apologies, I posted in another thread as well)

I called both financial aid and admissions about travel stipends. They stated that other than the group rates they've booked through local hotels they don't offer any other assistance.

Great - thank you

dp73816

Postby dp73816 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:11 am

Got back to my apartment last night...checked the maibox - had an assload of big packets. My heart was in my throat I was so excited. Ripped them out of the mailbox...6 packets from Rutgers, and my shirt. Man, they must spend a lot on shipping...

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:34 pm

Did anyone else get a sketchy e-mail from RU-C that basically said if they attend this Dean's Law Day, they'll get in, but if not, they'll "let you know a decision by April 15th"???

JuTMSY4

Postby JuTMSY4 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:38 pm

keg411 wrote:Did anyone else get a sketchy e-mail from RU-C that basically said if they attend this Dean's Law Day, they'll get in, but if not, they'll "let you know a decision by April 15th"???

...already been accepted, so no. Care to post?

That being said, the more I look at the scholarship offer, the more concerned I am.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:54 pm

JuTMSY4 wrote:
keg411 wrote:Did anyone else get a sketchy e-mail from RU-C that basically said if they attend this Dean's Law Day, they'll get in, but if not, they'll "let you know a decision by April 15th"???

That being said, the more I look at the scholarship offer, the more concerned I am.

It was just a weird e-mail, so I was wondering if I was the only one who received it (looks like it :lol:). I'm an in-state splitter.

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:56 pm

keg411 wrote:
JuTMSY4 wrote:

It was just a weird e-mail, so I was wondering if I was the only one who received it (looks like it :lol:). I'm an in-state splitter.

I got it, too!! I was really baffled by it so I called. They said if you attend, you're in. If not, you have to write a letter of intent to the Adcomm and they'll discuss it and make a decision by April 15. They told me I'm a scholarship candidate... if so, why not just admit me? w.t.f.

edit: I'll be out of town next weekend (like across the country out of town) at another admitted student open house. There's no way I can cancel that trip to come to this, so I have to write a letter of intent. :evil:

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:05 pm

mhd08 wrote:I got it, too!! I was really baffled by it so I called. They said if you attend, you're in. If not, you have to write a letter of intent to the Adcomm and they'll discuss it and make a decision by April 15. They told me I'm a scholarship candidate... if so, why not just admit me? w.t.f.

Thank you! I thought I was alone on how freakin' sketch it was. Anyway, I'm going to try to go -- I'm just at Pitt the day before for that ASD, so it's going to be a huge headache (and a ton of hours in the car) to make it happen.

ETA: I feel you about that weekend being booked up. I wanted to spend more time with my cousins in Pittsburgh and now I have to rush :( :( :(.

JuTMSY4

Postby JuTMSY4 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:09 pm

keg411 wrote:
mhd08 wrote:I got it, too!! I was really baffled by it so I called. They said if you attend, you're in. If not, you have to write a letter of intent to the Adcomm and they'll discuss it and make a decision by April 15. They told me I'm a scholarship candidate... if so, why not just admit me? w.t.f.

Thank you! I thought I was alone on how freakin' sketch it was. Anyway, I'm going to try to go -- I'm just at Pitt the day before for that ASD, so it's going to be a huge headache (and a ton of hours in the car) to make it happen.

ETA: I feel you about that weekend being booked up. I wanted to spend more time with my cousins in Pittsburgh and now I have to rush :( :( :(.

Enjoy the turnpike. That's very strange but maybe its based on (theoretical) proximity and the expectation that you should make it. Besides, its not like they offer a travel stipend compared to other schools.

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:14 pm

I think it's kind of ridiculous, especially when they're only giving you a weeks notice. I applied in October with numbers well within their range. This just makes me more interested in RU Newark, esp with the scholarship they gave me.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:45 pm

Wow. Really? That is totally ridiculous. I would probably refuse to go to ASD and then write a spiteful letter of intent like this:

Dear Rutgers Camden,

Intent.

Love,
Burger

dp73816

Postby dp73816 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:46 pm

I agree...thats kind of cheesy. Ive never heard of anything like that before...

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:53 pm

It's almost as if Rutgers-Camden allows a 13 year old boy to run part of their admissions office. 95% of their material is great, helpful, and professional. But then there's the adolescent boy shouting that he won't be friends with you if you don't come to his birthday (ASD) party. The same 13 year old was also obviously responsible for this:
--ImageRemoved--

jasonac21

Postby jasonac21 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:55 pm

I received the same letter and was equally confused. I read it like 5 times trying to figure out what it meant, glad I'm not the only one! I love how they call the ASD the "Deans Law Day for Admitted Students Event" and in the next paragraph, the "Deans Law Day." Anyway, I guess I'll eat the $400 play ticket and go...

JuTMSY4

Postby JuTMSY4 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:57 pm

jasonac21 wrote:I received the same letter and was equally confused. I read it like 5 times trying to figure out what it meant, glad I'm not the only one! I love how they call the ASD the "Deans Law Day for Admitted Students Event" and in the next paragraph, the "Deans Law Day." Anyway, I guess I'll eat the $400 play ticket and go...

Price out a flight to baltimore with a car rental - tickets are significantly cheaper and the drive isn't bad (1.5 hours?)

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:58 pm

Burger in a can wrote:It's almost as if Rutgers-Camden allows a 13 year old boy to run part of their admissions office. 95% of their material is great, helpful, and professional. But then there's the adolescent boy shouting that he won't be friends with you if you don't come to his birthday (ASD) party. The same 13 year old was also obviously responsible for this:
--ImageRemoved--

haha i love it.

Sclerenchyma

Postby Sclerenchyma » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:02 pm

Burger in a can wrote:The same 13 year old was also obviously responsible for this:

Reading about that e-mail made me immediately think of that flier as well. The lack of tact in both is pretty embarrassing.

jasonac21

Postby jasonac21 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:09 pm

JuTMSY4 wrote:
jasonac21 wrote:I received the same letter and was equally confused. I read it like 5 times trying to figure out what it meant, glad I'm not the only one! I love how they call the ASD the "Deans Law Day for Admitted Students Event" and in the next paragraph, the "Deans Law Day." Anyway, I guess I'll eat the $400 play ticket and go...

Price out a flight to baltimore with a car rental - tickets are significantly cheaper and the drive isn't bad (1.5 hours?)

Great thanks for the suggestion!

So the overall impression is that if you attend this psuedo-ASD that they will offer you admission?

JuTMSY4

Postby JuTMSY4 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:16 pm

Not sure

FWIW, they have a scheduled semi-refundable deposit system. $300 initially and if you withdrawal by July 1, 2010, they'll refund $200 of it. By August 1, they'll refund $100.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:02 pm

jasonac21 wrote:
JuTMSY4 wrote:

So the overall impression is that if you attend this psuedo-ASD that they will offer you admission?

That's what the e-mail implies at least. It says you can "pick up your admissions packet and scholarship information" at the event.

And while normally I would say "screw you" in this type of situation (because seriously WTF), I'm a legacy and am interested :(. This Pitt-Philly drive is going to be hell on earth.

jasonac21

Postby jasonac21 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:17 pm

keg411 wrote:
jasonac21 wrote:
JuTMSY4 wrote:

That's what the e-mail implies at least. It says you can "pick up your admissions packet and scholarship information" at the event.

And while normally I would say "screw you" in this type of situation (because seriously WTF), I'm a legacy and am interested :(. This Pitt-Philly drive is going to be hell on earth.

Whoa, mine doesn't say that.
Mine says
"Please note, you do not need to attend the Dean‚s Law Day to gain admission for the Fall of 2010. Although we will not know the number of seats still available until April 15th, your outstanding application, personal statement and background have slated you high on the Committee‚s list of students to admit as seats become available for the Fall."

Damn ;[

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:43 pm

jasonac21 wrote:Whoa, mine doesn't say that.
Mine says
"Please note, you do not need to attend the Dean‚s Law Day to gain admission for the Fall of 2010. Although we will not know the number of seats still available until April 15th, your outstanding application, personal statement and background have slated you high on the Committee‚s list of students to admit as seats become available for the Fall."

Damn ;[

Your e-mail is totally different from mine! Mine is really long and talks about scholarships and picking up packages but never says I'm "IN".

jasonac21

Postby jasonac21 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:50 pm

keg411 wrote:
jasonac21 wrote:Whoa, mine doesn't say that.
Mine says

Damn ;[

Your e-mail is totally different from mine! Mine is really long and talks about scholarships and picking up packages but never says I'm "IN".

Strange. Mine is longer than just that quote. It talks about the summer program and the evening program. It pretty much says that if I'm interested in the part-time or the summer program, then email them to let them know that. It also says that if you are interested, then attend the Dean's Law day. So my guess is that I wasn't accepted into the full-time program but if I'm interested in the part-time program, then there's a good chance you'll be accepted. Crazy way to do things.

Anyone else get a similar email?

Sclerenchyma

Postby Sclerenchyma » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:07 pm

jasonac21 wrote:It talks about the summer program and the evening program. It pretty much says that if I'm interested in the part-time or the summer program, then email them to let them know that. It also says that if you are interested, then attend the Dean's Law day. So my guess is that I wasn't accepted into the full-time program.

Don't take me 100% on this, but it seems regardless of what you put on your application everyone is admitted with the option of full- or part-time. At least this was the impression that the receptionist gave me when I called to inquire about which I had been admitted to. Both options are also available on the seat reservation form.

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:16 pm

This is exactly what my e-mail says (excluding the unnecessary parts):

"Thank you for your application to Rutgers Law School at Camden, New Jersey. The Admissions Committee of faculty and deans have been working very hard to welcome a Fall of 2010 class that will be rich in ethnic, age, geographic, academic experience and professional backgrounds. This year, our law school has also had a large volume of equally qualified, superior candidates. In reviewing these exceptional applications, the Committee was particularly impressed by your personal statement and achievements, and we believe that your outstanding background would make you an integral part of our Rutgers Law community. However, because of upcoming deadlines for deposits at other law schools, in order to expedite admission and scholarship processing for the limited number of seats still open, the Committee has decided to do a priority admission day for all scholarship-candidate students, like yourself, who are able to attend the Dean's Law Day for Admitted Students on March 27, 2010 at our campus. Admission and Scholarship packages will be available for pick-up at that event....

To register for the Dean’s Law Day for Admitted Students Event, please email Joanna McSweeney at jmcsween@camden.rutgers.edu. Please note, you do not need to attend the Dean’s Law Day to gain admission. If you have a high interest in attending our law school in the Fall but cannot make the Dean’s Law Day event, to help us prioritize admission decisions for the limited number of remaining seats, it would be very helpful if you could please email the Committee a supplemental statement at csa@camlaw.rutgers.edu. Final decisions on all admission applications who cannot attend Dean’s Law Day are anticipated to be mailed by April 15, 2010."

Although it says "you do not need to attend the Dean’s Law Day to gain admission," well it pretty much seems like if you go, you're in, and if not, then you might be in.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”