Rutgers-Camden Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JuTMSY4

Bronze

Re: Rutgers-Camden

Post by JuTMSY4 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:28 pm

keg411 wrote:
Queenjane87 wrote:I sort of hate that they offer the jump start program. I feel that I'll be at a disadvantage if I don't do it - but it will be a pain logistically for me. I won't be able to move into my apartment due to extenuating circumstances until August 1st. So it would mean either staying in my cousin's guest room for a month or commuting from DC, staying in NJ 4 days a week and driving back on the weekends. Do you think the jumpstart is worth all this? I need some advice!
If I go, I won't be doing it. I need the $$, so I'd rather stay at my job.
I agree with both of you - its annoying

That being said, I'm not necessarily believing all the stories they're putting out. Consider who's in those classes (a lot of gunners) and moreover the added cost of tuition (by credit hour I think) and COL (plus loss of income).

There are benefits to both sides...the real killer one is that regardless of what happens over the summer, 40-50% of the class only focuses on 3 classes rather than 4....

kissy

Bronze

Post by kissy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:29 pm

jasonac21 wrote:Uh oh, what horror stories have you heard?

Living in Philly would be nice, but I'm from out of state so I need to gain residency.
Well, for starters, I'm fairly certain that Camden was the "Murder Capital of America" for a few years. But speaking with a friend from high school who is going to be a 3L, he's had absolutely zero problems whatsoever, and he lives off-campus (the Victors). I'm sure it's one of those places where if you have the slightest bit of common sense, you'll be fine - i.e., don't go for a run at 2AM, don't get blackout-drunk and pass out on a street somewhere, don't leave your car unlocked with the keys in the ignition, don't walk around flashing $100 bills, that sort of thing.

In short, Camden is what it is...don't go in expecting a Quinnipiac-ish QOL. There's also a federal courthouse located on the campus, and I doubt it would be there if the campus itself (as well as the area immediately surrounding it) is that dangerous. But again, I'm merely speculating.

kissy

Bronze

Post by kissy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:33 pm

JuTMSY4 wrote:
keg411 wrote:
Queenjane87 wrote:I sort of hate that they offer the jump start program. I feel that I'll be at a disadvantage if I don't do it - but it will be a pain logistically for me. I won't be able to move into my apartment due to extenuating circumstances until August 1st. So it would mean either staying in my cousin's guest room for a month or commuting from DC, staying in NJ 4 days a week and driving back on the weekends. Do you think the jumpstart is worth all this? I need some advice!
If I go, I won't be doing it. I need the $$, so I'd rather stay at my job.
I agree with both of you - its annoying

That being said, I'm not necessarily believing all the stories they're putting out. Consider who's in those classes (a lot of gunners) and moreover the added cost of tuition (by credit hour I think) and COL (plus loss of income).

There are benefits to both sides...the real killer one is that regardless of what happens over the summer, 40-50% of the class only focuses on 3 classes rather than 4....
+1

I'm doing it mainly because I've been out of school for a year and a half - long enough that I feel it will be extremely beneficial as far as getting back into the whole academic way of life :roll: , and for me at least, the $$$ (or loss thereof by forfeiting my summer) isn't a huge concern. I can either continue working for the law firm where I'm presently employed, or I can lessen my workload for the first semester and still have a few weeks to relax and savor my sanity and freedom.

jasonac21

New

Post by jasonac21 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:41 pm

kissy wrote:
jasonac21 wrote:Uh oh, what horror stories have you heard?

Living in Philly would be nice, but I'm from out of state so I need to gain residency.
Well, for starters, I'm fairly certain that Camden was the "Murder Capital of America" for a few years. But speaking with a friend from high school who is going to be a 3L, he's had absolutely zero problems whatsoever, and he lives off-campus (the Victors). I'm sure it's one of those places where if you have the slightest bit of common sense, you'll be fine - i.e., don't go for a run at 2AM, don't get blackout-drunk and pass out on a street somewhere, don't leave your car unlocked with the keys in the ignition, don't walk around flashing $100 bills, that sort of thing.

In short, Camden is what it is...don't go in expecting a Quinnipiac-ish QOL. There's also a federal courthouse located on the campus, and I doubt it would be there if the campus itself (as well as the area immediately surrounding it) is that dangerous. But again, I'm merely speculating.
Oh ok. I thought you meant bad things about the university. Yeah, the area around campus is extremely safe. A few blocks either way and it gets questionable. When I was at the ASD, my GPS decided to play a joke on me and take me to a rough part of town on a one way street. I was scared, but no one even looked at me (there were actually a lot of people walking around). Truth is, it's a city with people living their every day lives. Stay out of trouble and you'll be left alone. Of course, like you said, if you act irresponsible you're going to increase your chances of being robbed.

kissy

Bronze

Post by kissy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:43 pm

Exactly. I'm not too concerned...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wiggysmalls13

New

Post by wiggysmalls13 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:58 pm

As far as housing goes, I think I'm gonna do the on campus for the summer session, try to meet someone I can live with, and convince them to get an apartment with me for the fall/spring.

I took a tour of the campus housing. It wasn't a lot of living space for four people (most are 4 person suites), but you do get your own (tiny) room. It has a very cinder-block undergrad dorm feel, and is kinda claustrophobic. I might be exaggerating my negativity because I am very tall and I am sick of sleeping in dorm assigned twin beds, and I lived in a dorm that was essentially a copy of this one my sophomore year of college and I don't think I could do it again.

CSKNJ

New

Post by CSKNJ » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:15 pm

As far as housing goes, I think I'm gonna do the on campus for the summer session, try to meet someone I can live with, and convince them to get an apartment with me for the fall/spring.

I took a tour of the campus housing. It wasn't a lot of living space for four people (most are 4 person suites), but you do get your own (tiny) room. It has a very cinder-block undergrad dorm feel, and is kinda claustrophobic. I might be exaggerating my negativity because I am very tall and I am sick of sleeping in dorm assigned twin beds, and I lived in a dorm that was essentially a copy of this one my sophomore year of college and I don't think I could do it again.
I think it is silly to pay for dorm style living when you can get a place in Philly for the same price. As many ohavef noted the quality of life in Camden is poor, and the university digs are essentially undergrad dorms. I am going to start shopping for apartments in the city soon. The PATCO line takes you a block from the law school's entrance. Plus I think it'll be good to be able to immerse myself in Philly's culture when I need to get away from the law.

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:53 pm

I know this is sorta off topic but nonetheless very important for relieving stress from school: what is the night life like in philly? what about on the NJ side? I would assume you probably wouldnt even stay in NJ at night if you really wanted to hit the town

CSKNJ

New

Post by CSKNJ » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:31 pm

I know this is sorta off topic but nonetheless very important for relieving stress from school: what is the night life like in philly? what about on the NJ side? I would assume you probably wouldnt even stay in NJ at night if you really wanted to hit the town
I like Philly's nightlife. It has a great restaurant and bar scene. It's not a big club town where 90lb girls do coke in the bathrooms of ultra-trendy lounges, which I like. Center City is extremely safe, and you're constantly surrounded by other people out on the town. All of the local universities provide for a good young crowd and you can go out with your friends and know that you don't have to pay $10 a drink. Old City in particular has a number of large bars that are great to hit up with some friends on a Thursday/Friday/Saturday night.

On the Jersey side things aren't so great. Haddonfield which would seem like a good town to go out in, self contained, safe, and along the PATCO train line, is dry and too family oriented to really have any fun in. Elsewhere, any place worth going is spread out among the web of highways that make up the Philly/South Jersey Metropolitiation area so a designated driver is mandatory especially with Jersey's massively overfunded suburban police forces.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kissy

Bronze

Post by kissy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:43 pm

i've heard great things about center city

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:48 am

great to know. it is a real shame that Camden is what it is. I am just stunned when I look at google map street views. I just don't understand how a city could get this bad. I thought some areas in LA, where I live, were bad, but damn... It looks like a 7 year old kid got sidetracked and left his Sim City city unattended for like 30 sim years.

kissy

Bronze

Post by kissy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:52 am

i plan on staying on-campus the majority of the time i'm there, and if i do venture out it will be to philadelphia. i've been told by numerous people, including alumni and those who live nearby, that the area immediately surrounding the campus is extremely safe.

MSRP

New

Post by MSRP » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:32 pm

Does anyone know when the seat deposit is due? Thanks

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kissy

Bronze

Post by kissy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:38 pm

depends when you were accepted, and it should say in your acceptance letter

MSRP

New

Post by MSRP » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:48 pm

My letter says May 1 ,but everyone here says April 15. That's why I'm asking.

Thanks

kissy

Bronze

Post by kissy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:55 pm

well that just means you were accepted later than everyone you've heard 4/15 from, and i'm fairly certain that the 5/1 is accurate. if you're really that worried, just give them a call. but i think it's a safe assumption that the date listed on your letter is the correct date for your specific deposit deadline?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:54 pm

MSRP wrote:My letter says May 1 ,but everyone here says April 15. That's why I'm asking.

Thanks
Mine says 5/1 as well. You are not alone :).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kissy

Bronze

Post by kissy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:57 pm

i probably should've mentioned that too, even though i would've been able to make it by the earlier deadline if i had to.

eagles86

Bronze

Post by eagles86 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:11 pm

I got that e-mail too and I don't like what Camden did, seems like they're playing games. I was in Miami for ASW so I couldnt attend Deans Law Day and I appreciated UM communicating in a direct, honest manner.

Alwaysmile618

New

Post by Alwaysmile618 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:50 am

Hello~ I do love the professors and other things at Camden and I am thinking of attending Camden this fall but letters like these are just making it a bit awkward for me. Did everyone else receive this e-mail about how Financial Aid Office made mistakes on answering people's calls about their financial aid information?

"Hi Everyone,

Rutgers Law is a Direct Student Loan Institution so everyone should be aware that loans can be processed very quickly, right up to the week before classes commence. If you have not applied for financial aid, please contact FAFSA at 1-800-433-3243 or http://www.fafsa.ed.gov -ASAP! Our school code is 002629.Before contacting the Financial Aid Office- make sure you have filled out a FAFSA application.

There has also evidently been some confusion at Financial Aid when several law students called about Jump Start federal loans. The individual answering the phones was not a financial aid advisor and gave people erroneous advise from an undergraduate “fact sheet.” We apologize profusely. The normal financial aid for the 2010-11 year is available for Jump Start Classes, it is just pro-rated over the three semesters, versus fall and spring. When you call Financial Aid, we would recommend that you speak to LaDonna Morehead. You can also contact her with your Financial Aid questions and concerns at: lmorehea@camden.rutgers.edu We are also trying to keep track of any delays at Financial Aid in processing your requests for information.

If you call Financial Aid and are put on HOLD (for several minutes), please do not get frustrated, they have a heavy volume of calls during this time. Please send us an email or call our Law Admissions office at 1-800-466-7561 and we will help you immediately get the information you need."

Jerzeegirl

New

Post by Jerzeegirl » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:06 am

Sending in my seat deposit but I'm not sold on the location. Drove down again this past weekend. The campus is nice but you don't have to walk far to find yourself in a bad area. Is there a family-friendly neighborhood nearby? Should I look for a place in Philly? I checked out some of the places in the off-campus housing pamphlet and I wasn't too excited. I don't know if I need to lower my expectations or if I'm just looking in the wrong places.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:37 am

Jerzeegirl wrote:Sending in my seat deposit but I'm not sold on the location. Drove down again this past weekend. The campus is nice but you don't have to walk far to find yourself in a bad area. Is there a family-friendly neighborhood nearby? Should I look for a place in Philly? I checked out some of the places in the off-campus housing pamphlet and I wasn't too excited. I don't know if I need to lower my expectations or if I'm just looking in the wrong places.

Man, I am going to have to get used to living in the north...people must realize there are bad areas wherever you go! From what I've seen, it looks about the same as where I worked in the summers (Durham, NC) and grew up (outside Atlanta). I guess people just arent used to living around them?
I'm living in Haddonfield, but I heard Collingswood and Cherry Hill are also very nice. My rent will be around 1200, so its not too bad. The towns are really pretty, and on the PATCO line - between 5 and 10 minutes away from campus at most!

kissy

Bronze

Post by kissy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:51 am

dp73816 wrote:
Jerzeegirl wrote:Sending in my seat deposit but I'm not sold on the location. Drove down again this past weekend. The campus is nice but you don't have to walk far to find yourself in a bad area. Is there a family-friendly neighborhood nearby? Should I look for a place in Philly? I checked out some of the places in the off-campus housing pamphlet and I wasn't too excited. I don't know if I need to lower my expectations or if I'm just looking in the wrong places.

Man, I am going to have to get used to living in the north...people must realize there are bad areas wherever you go! From what I've seen, it looks about the same as where I worked in the summers (Durham, NC) and grew up (outside Atlanta). I guess people just arent used to living around them?
I'm living in Haddonfield, but I heard Collingswood and Cherry Hill are also very nice. My rent will be around 1200, so its not too bad. The towns are really pretty, and on the PATCO line - between 5 and 10 minutes away from campus at most!
just curious, if you're willing to pay ~$1200, why not just live in the victor lofts?

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:58 am

kissy wrote:
dp73816 wrote:

just curious, if you're willing to pay ~$1200, why not just live in the victor lofts?

Its a 2 bedroom, so 600 a month total - Sorry I didnt explain more, busy day at work :evil:

kissy

Bronze

Post by kissy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:59 am

dp73816 wrote:
kissy wrote:
dp73816 wrote:

Its a 2 bedroom, so 600 a month total - Sorry I didnt explain more, Im kinda busy at work :evil:
oh okay yeah that makes sense. and i feel your pain, work is dragging :evil: :evil: :evil:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”