Rutgers-Camden Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Sclerenchyma

New

Re: Rutgers-Camden

Post by Sclerenchyma » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:41 am

Snuffie wrote:I'd rather not live under someone else's shadow. Anyway I've digressed. Congratulations and best of luck!
I'll bite your passive-aggressive nugget. Who's shadow are we talking about here? Newark? PA schools? The 1-75 higher rated?

Snuffie

New

Post by Snuffie » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:01 am

Sclerenchyma wrote:
Snuffie wrote:I'd rather not live under someone else's shadow. Anyway I've digressed. Congratulations and best of luck!
I'll bite your passive-aggressive nugget. Who's shadow are we talking about here? Newark? PA schools? The 1-75 higher rated?
If you took me as a troll, please know my message was submitted in earnest.

Sclerenchyma

New

Post by Sclerenchyma » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:18 am

Snuffie wrote: If you took me as a troll, please know my message was submitted in earnest.
Not at all. I am just honestly looking for some reconciliation between that cliffhanger and our own thoughts.

Snuffie

New

Post by Snuffie » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:35 am

Sclerenchyma wrote:
Snuffie wrote: If you took me as a troll, please know my message was submitted in earnest.
Not at all. I am just honestly looking for some reconciliation between that cliffhanger and our own thoughts.

Fair enough. When I wrote that first message, my intent wasn't to leave people guessing, though I should certainly have expected that. I was preoccupied with the idea of coasting on someone else's legacy, and I have to admit, as a prospective law school student, it has weighed upon me heavily.

The "shadow" I'm referring to is a family member who was a member of the Camden faculty.

Sclerenchyma

New

Post by Sclerenchyma » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:50 am

Snuffie wrote: Fair enough. When I wrote that first message, my intent wasn't to leave people guessing, though I should certainly have expected that. I was preoccupied with the idea of coasting on someone else's legacy, and I have to admit, as a prospective law school student, it has weighed upon me heavily.

The "shadow" I'm referring to is a family member who was a member of the Camden faculty.
Perfectly understandable, but you have to know that with the limitations of written communication the poignancy of your message will be mis-attributed. Best of luck in your own pursuits.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:26 am

Big words for the weekend!

Doreen210

New

Post by Doreen210 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:59 am

dp73816 wrote:In today ($5000 scholarship) with a very long email. Not gonna lie, I was pretty surprised by the scholarship - I had a very low LSAT score, but apparently some rock-solid EC's that they liked. Ive gotten less money from T-4 school's....but whatever, Im not gonna question their genius. Unless UNC-CH or Notre Dame comes through, it looks like Ill have to stock up on the hair gel...
Congratulations!!! If you don't mind me asking, what were your numbers?

Onion

Bronze

Post by Onion » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:26 pm

Sent in the seat deposit this week... looking forward to starting!

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:34 pm

Withdrew today. I hope my spot and $$$ go to one of you guys! :) (but I'm keeping my hat and 2 shirts!)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Onion

Bronze

Post by Onion » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:38 pm

Burger in a can wrote:Withdrew today. I hope my spot and $$$ go to one of you guys! :) (but I'm keeping my hat and 2 shirts!)
Where are you going Burger?

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:40 pm

Onion wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:Withdrew today. I hope my spot and $$$ go to one of you guys! :) (but I'm keeping my hat and 2 shirts!)
I'm still torn between UConn and RU-Newark. I withdrew from all of my other acceptances today because it was starting to feel like I was hoarding them while other people were waiting patiently for their decisions.

Visited UConn recently, was blown away by the campus and surrounding area. I'll be visiting Newark next week.

Onion

Bronze

Post by Onion » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:42 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
Onion wrote:
I'm still torn between UConn and RU-Newark. I withdrew from all of my other acceptances today because it was starting to feel like I was hoarding them while other people were waiting patiently for their decisions.

Visited UConn recently, was blown away by the campus and surrounding area. I'll be visiting Newark next week.
Well congrats on your cycle... I went to Newark last week and it was really nice. Have not seen UConn since I looked for undergrad but I remember liking the school in general. Good luck to you!

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:47 pm

Onion wrote: Well congrats on your cycle... I went to Newark last week and it was really nice. Have not seen UConn since I looked for undergrad but I remember liking the school in general. Good luck to you!
Thanks! Good luck to you too! I think Camden is an awesome school and I'm sure you will love it there! :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:06 am

Doreen210 wrote:
dp73816 wrote:In today ($5000 scholarship) with a very long email. Not gonna lie, I was pretty surprised by the scholarship - I had a very low LSAT score, but apparently some rock-solid EC's that they liked. Ive gotten less money from T-4 school's....but whatever, Im not gonna question their genius. Unless UNC-CH or Notre Dame comes through, it looks like Ill have to stock up on the hair gel...

152, 3.48 LSDAS non-URM...theres some deep satisfaction in proving lawschoolpredictor.com wrong...

JuTMSY4

Bronze

Post by JuTMSY4 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:17 am

Anyone know anything about travel stipends to RU-C?

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:31 pm

dp73816 wrote:
Doreen210 wrote:

152, 3.48 LSDAS non-URM...theres some deep satisfaction in proving lawschoolpredictor.com wrong...
+1

Bearcat

New

Post by Bearcat » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:46 pm

Just received acceptance letter via email yesterday from Camden! I applied extremely late and with my subpar gpa of 2.43, I thought that I wouldn't have a shot but studying for the LSAT seems to have paid off. In with $5k a year pending a 3.3 GPA or higher. This was my first acceptance and I was surprised at how fast the response was because I went complete at the end of February. Who else is going to visit on Dean's Law Day? Hope to see you guys there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JuTMSY4

Bronze

Post by JuTMSY4 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:37 am

Bearcat wrote:Just received acceptance letter via email yesterday from Camden! I applied extremely late and with my subpar gpa of 2.43, I thought that I wouldn't have a shot but studying for the LSAT seems to have paid off. In with $5k a year pending a 3.3 GPA or higher. This was my first acceptance and I was surprised at how fast the response was because I went complete at the end of February. Who else is going to visit on Dean's Law Day? Hope to see you guys there.
Yeah, I applied late here too, thinking of it as a safety for Philly (over, say, PSU). They turned the whole thing around with a scholly decision in about 2 weeks.

I think I'll be attending the Dean's Day as well - Heard anything about travel stipends? (apologies, I posted in another thread as well)

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:45 pm

Not gonna be going to the Deans Day thing...too many work and travel conflicts...probably gonna go up sometime in june, if things havent changed on other school fronts...

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:22 pm

Still nada from Camden. Will probably e-mail later to see what's up since they are way nice.

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:13 am

Just used Camden's scholly to try and squeak out some more money from some lower ranked schools...is it weird that I feel dirty?

Made it pretty clear that it would have to be a very substantial chunk of change for me to not enroll at Camden...doubt they'll bite at that level of financial commitment

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dshirs32

New

Post by dshirs32 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:20 am

I received my acceptance as well last week with a 5k per year scholarship, very excited. Question for Burger...why choose Newark over Camden? Both are in pretty crappy areas but Camden is the higher ranked school

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:31 am

dshirs32 wrote:I received my acceptance as well last week with a 5k per year scholarship, very excited. Question for Burger...why choose Newark over Camden? Both are in pretty crappy areas but Camden is the higher ranked school
He may answer this eventually but my guess is that his decision is based on post-grad job opportunities (or possibly scholly)...
RU-C = Philly or NJ jobs
RU-N = NJ or NYC

in general...

T2 are all pretty similar in the way that they mostly place grads regionally... Employers do not check USN Rankings when deciding who to interview/hire... they interview/hire from schools they are familiar with... so it follows that "local" schools that have already supplied associates to the firm will be higher choices then those who the firm is not familiar with.... In short, rankings are mostly for ego stroking... Decide where you want to practice and see where their associates went to school... Much better than relying on USN...

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:55 am

Compaq1984 wrote:
dshirs32 wrote:I received my acceptance as well last week with a 5k per year scholarship, very excited. Question for Burger...why choose Newark over Camden? Both are in pretty crappy areas but Camden is the higher ranked school
He may answer this eventually but my guess is that his decision is based on post-grad job opportunities (or possibly scholly)...
RU-C = Philly or NJ jobs
RU-N = NJ or NYC

in general...

T2 are all pretty similar in the way that they mostly place grads regionally... Employers do not check USN Rankings when deciding who to interview/hire... they interview/hire from schools they are familiar with... so it follows that "local" schools that have already supplied associates to the firm will be higher choices then those who the firm is not familiar with.... In short, rankings are mostly for ego stroking... Decide where you want to practice and see where their associates went to school... Much better than relying on USN...
Couldn't have said it better myself!
Key points:
-Camden is basically a philly school, and I am not interested in working in that region.
-Rankings in the second tier are meaningless
-Newark offered me a lot more money
-My understanding is that Newark actually places better within NJ.

Sclerenchyma

New

Post by Sclerenchyma » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:36 pm

JuTMSY4 wrote:Anyone know anything about travel stipends to RU-C?
I think I'll be attending the Dean's Day as well - Heard anything about travel stipends? (apologies, I posted in another thread as well)
I called both financial aid and admissions about travel stipends. They stated that other than the group rates they've booked through local hotels they don't offer any other assistance.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”