How to ask for a fee waiver?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Neelio

How to ask for a fee waiver?

Postby Neelio » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:46 pm

Exactly what the thread asks... how do i go about it? just email the admissions office and ask?

YellowCake

Re: How to ask for a fee waiver?

Postby YellowCake » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:56 pm

Probably the wrong forum, but yea just ask.

Make sure to include your LSAT, GPA, and LSAC#.

jackalope11

Postby jackalope11 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:59 pm

Okay... So I often wondered the same thing... In one of the two admissions books I read that were suggested by law school admissions people I read the following:

If it is a school to which you would really like to go: start out by filling out the application, then print it off and mail it to them with a letter discussing how much you really want to attend, but cannot afford to pay the fee to apply.

I guess it's all about signalling. You're showing that you really really want to go there, but can't quite scrape up the cash to apply. Maybe it's that you've already applied to too many other schools before you found them and realized they are your one true love. Filling out the application shows that you have some skin in the game.

Qualifier: I have never tried this, so please take it for what it's worth. The books were recommended by a person that worked on admissions committees in the past, so I read them. However, I cannot vouch for their actual validity, or how successful this measure is.

With that in mind, good luck!!! And let me know if it works out for ya, if you don't mind!

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:15 pm

Last edited by 5ky on Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

angiej

Postby angiej » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:17 pm

I guess my fear (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that by asking for a fee waiver your saying your too poor to even apply and admissions offices will assume that if you can't even afford the $50-$75 app fee you certainly won't be able to afford the $20k to 50k a year tuition.

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:18 pm

Dear Admissions Office at Cornell Law School,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX, and I recently obtained my bachelors degree and scored a xxx on the xxxx 2009 LSAT and I am working on completing my law school applications. Cornell Law School excellent academic reputation, as well as its location in Ithaca, makes it one of my top choices to continue my legal education.

Unfortunately, the cost of applications has delayed my application procces and restricted the number of schools to which I can apply now. Therefore, I am writing to request an application fee waiver from the LawSchool . I believe my numbers and experience make me an ideal candidate for the J.D. program, and know that I will make a positive contribution to the class. I graduated ranked XXXXX of my class, and will have work experience prior to entering school next fall. My LSAC account number is Lxxxxxxxxxx.

Please let me know if you require any additional information. As I mentioned, I am really interested in Cornell Law School and look forward to applying as soon as possible.

Thanks,

5ky

Postby 5ky » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:19 pm

Last edited by 5ky on Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:43 pm

jayzon wrote:
angiej wrote:I guess my fear (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that by asking for a fee waiver your saying your too poor to even apply and admissions offices will assume that if you can't even afford the $50-$75 app fee you certainly won't be able to afford the $20k to 50k a year tuition.

Well if you don't need the fee waiver then don't ask for it, not to be rude but if you have 150,000 laying around then just pay the fee. I know schools understand that neither you or most any other student has that sort of cash and that you will relay on credit or other sources to finance your education.

Also, remember many schools give out merit based waivers and do not even consider your financial situation at that point.

Good luck.

Clint Eastwood

Postby Clint Eastwood » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:43 pm

On your knees

dk8

Postby dk8 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:45 pm

"lemme get that fee waiver son"

bluejayk

Postby bluejayk » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:35 am

Don't pretend to be broke if you're not, it's in bad taste. I just wrote a bunch of e-mails saying I understand the school provides some application fee waivers, please let me know if I am eligible. No need to pretend to be homeless and destitute, for all they know I'm Warren Buffet's son. I got 6 or 7 out of ten positive responses, ended up only paying for one application this cycle.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”