George Mason 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
FunkyJD

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby FunkyJD » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:31 pm

SAE wrote:Admitted in January, still no scholarship info. Safe to assume it's not coming?

If you're still waiting for money from Mason, note that when I asked about it recently, I was told that Mason made their offers "of everything they had" by the first week of March ... and that they send out additional offers after they receive seat deposits on April 15, once they have an idea of who is "seriously interested in matriculating." I was told their money was limited because they are a young state school.

So I withdrew, and am going to an older school with more resources. Law school is not the time to take one for the team financially. :wink:

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:21 am

FunkyJD wrote:
SAE wrote:Admitted in January, still no scholarship info. Safe to assume it's not coming?

If you're still waiting for money from Mason, note that when I asked about it recently, I was told that Mason made their offers "of everything they had" by the first week of March ... and that they send out additional offers after they receive seat deposits on April 15, once they have an idea of who is "seriously interested in matriculating." I was told their money was limited because they are a young state school.

So I withdrew, and am going to an older school with more resources. Law school is not the time to take one for the team financially. :wink:

Does that mean that I am not able to have need-base grants, for the limited funds?

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:54 pm

sunnygirl wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:

Does that mean that I am not able to have need-base grants, for the limited funds?

I was under the impression that all of Mason's scholarships were merit-based, but someone can correct that if I'm mistaken. My guess is that if you haven't heard back from them by now, pretty much plan on footing the bill through loans. Maybe you get lucky after April 15, but maybe you don't.

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:12 pm

They gave me 8k, but I was wondering whether I can have some need-based grants or not, since I cannot apply for loans.I will call to ask and I will keep you guys posted if I got anything useful.

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:09 am

BTW, anyone knows anything about housing? I read the package again. People seem to give bad comments on the Ballston Place. Any idea about other places?

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:23 am

sunnygirl wrote:BTW, anyone knows anything about housing? I read the package again. People seem to give bad comments on the Ballston Place. Any idea about other places?

Have u thought about living in Maryland? (and take the red line? You're risking your life every day just taking that train of the cursed). The rent is sub-$1000.
Last edited by BigFatPanda on Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:38 am

BigFatPanda wrote:
sunnygirl wrote:BTW, anyone knows anything about housing? I read the package again. People seem to give bad comments on the Ballston Place. Any idea about other places?

Have u thought about living in Maryland? (and take the red line? You're risking your life very today just taking that train of the cursed). The rent is sub-$1000.

No, cuz I am new to that environment, I'd rather pay more to live close to the law school in the first year so that I could get used to the surroundings. I don't want my family to worry about me. I am just wondering whether anybody has the same idea like me so we can share a 2BR apartment. It seems that it is a little bit to share a 2BR than to have a 1BR. So you live in Maryland now?

ewflay

Postby ewflay » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:40 am

Living by yourself in Arlington is generally going to be 1000+, with possible exceptions in South Arlington; apartments up and down Columbia Pike might be in the 900-1100 range but I'm not really sure. An apartment there would require a car/bike/bus ride to the law school. A 1 BR on the orange line from Rosslyn to Ballston is at least 1500. Neither I nor anyone I know have had issues living in any of the Dittmar Company buildings (http://dittmarcompany.com).

Other options are to look further out the orange (Vienna, Dunn Loring) or on the blue (Van Dorn, Franconia). I'm not sure how much those are, but they should be a little bit cheaper than the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor.

On the other hand, having a roommate and living a little bit off the orange line can keep rent under 1000. A 2 BR 2 BA apartment at, say, Horizons (http://www.horizon-apartments.com) will cost 1600-1800. A 2 BR 2 BA on the orange line is 2300-2800.

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:49 am

ewflay wrote:Living by yourself in Arlington is generally going to be 1000+, with possible exceptions in South Arlington; apartments up and down Columbia Pike might be in the 900-1100 range but I'm not really sure. An apartment there would require a car/bike/bus ride to the law school. A 1 BR on the orange line from Rosslyn to Ballston is at least 1500. Neither I nor anyone I know have had issues living in any of the Dittmar Company buildings (http://dittmarcompany.com).

Other options are to look further out the orange (Vienna, Dunn Loring) or on the blue (Van Dorn, Franconia). I'm not sure how much those are, but they should be a little bit cheaper than the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor.

On the other hand, having a roommate and living a little bit off the orange line can keep rent under 1000. A 2 BR 2 BA apartment at, say, Horizons (http://www.horizon-apartments.com) will cost 1600-1800. A 2 BR 2 BA on the orange line is 2300-2800.

Thx a lot~~Are you currently living in Arlington? I knew about the Dittmar, Quincy is really close to the law school, but the rent is........1600 for 1BR. Comments are not good for Ballston Place. Do you know anything about Residence at Market Commons,or the Barton House? I don't think there are many people who will like to pay more to live close to GM.

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:55 am

sunnygirl wrote:No, cuz I am new to that environment, I'd rather pay more to live close to the law school in the first year so that I could get used to the surroundings. I don't want my family to worry about me. I am just wondering whether anybody has the same idea like me so we can share a 2BR apartment. It seems that it is a little bit to share a 2BR than to have a 1BR. So you live in Maryland now?

I live near Vienna/Fairfax GMU (Which, BTW, is about five stations away from Virgina Square GMU. About 15 to 20 minute ride), the last station on the orange line. Even there, the rent is at least $1200 for one bedroom aparatment.

This is where i live:

--LinkRemoved--
Last edited by BigFatPanda on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:57 am

sunnygirl wrote:
ewflay wrote:Living by yourself in Arlington is generally going to be 1000+, with possible exceptions in South Arlington; apartments up and down Columbia Pike might be in the 900-1100 range but I'm not really sure. An apartment there would require a car/bike/bus ride to the law school. A 1 BR on the orange line from Rosslyn to Ballston is at least 1500. Neither I nor anyone I know have had issues living in any of the Dittmar Company buildings (http://dittmarcompany.com).

Thx a lot~~Are you currently living in Arlington? I knew about the Dittmar, Quincy is really close to the law school, but the rent is........1600 for 1BR. Comments are not good for Ballston Place. Do you know anything about Residence at Market Commons,or the Barton House? I don't think there are many people who will like to pay more to live close to GM.

A few years ago I heard nothing but good things about Barton House. Not sure if anything has changed, but I can't imagine it would be a bad place unless they changed owners/management.

You might check craigslist to see about staying in a basement apartment. You can sometimes fine an old couple or a young couple with extra space wanting to rent out their finished basement.

ewflay

Postby ewflay » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:24 am

Barton House gets great reviews but, last I heard, has a waiting list for available apartments (seriously).

I don't know much about Residences at Market Commons, but considering its location in Clarendon it's probably pretty pricey.

I live in Randolph Towers (--LinkRemoved--). It's one of the older buildings on the orange line, so it's relatively reasonable. I've lived in a 2BR/2BA for 4+ years with a roommate and pay ~1150 not including utilities.

texasforever

Postby texasforever » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:46 pm

Just booked my trip to DC for the April 10 weekend. Anyone else going to the open house?

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:49 pm

ewflay wrote:Barton House gets great reviews but, last I heard, has a waiting list for available apartments (seriously).

I don't know much about Residences at Market Commons, but considering its location in Clarendon it's probably pretty pricey.

I live in Randolph Towers (--LinkRemoved--). It's one of the older buildings on the orange line, so it's relatively reasonable. I've lived in a 2BR/2BA for 4+ years with a roommate and pay ~1150 not including utilities.

Waitingl list for apartment? Sounds crazy. I have been fed up with being on the WLs(I have a bunch of WLs). It seems that it will be difficult for me to find a roommate, for people want to save the money.......
Do you know anything about Courtland Park and Courtland Tower? Various comments for them. Both owned by Dittmar.

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:31 am

ewflay wrote:Barton House gets great reviews but, last I heard, has a waiting list for available apartments (seriously).

Maybe they only rent to people with high LSAT scores. Better send in your LOCI. :mrgreen:

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:25 am

BigFatPanda wrote:

Maybe they only rent to people with high LSAT scores. Better send in your LOCI. :mrgreen:

Dear Barton House,
I am here to restate my interest in renting one of your apartments.......... :D

ewflay

Postby ewflay » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:48 am

sunnygirl wrote:Waitingl list for apartment? Sounds crazy. I have been fed up with being on the WLs(I have a bunch of WLs). It seems that it will be difficult for me to find a roommate, for people want to save the money.......
Do you know anything about Courtland Park and Courtland Tower? Various comments for them. Both owned by Dittmar.

A friend lives in Courtland Towers and has never complained. I know nothing about Courtland Park.

Anywhere in Cherrydale will be cheaper than Ballston. Cherrydale is the neighborhood more or less directly northwest of the law school. There are a cluster of apartments on Lee Highway where it splits from Old Dominion.

Westover is another decent option, and even cheaper than Cherrydale. Westover is roughly the area around Washington Blvd and Patrick Henry Dr, about two miles west of the law school. It's about halfway in between Ballston and East Falls Church metros.

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:19 am

ewflay wrote:
sunnygirl wrote:Waitingl list for apartment? Sounds crazy. I have been fed up with being on the WLs(I have a bunch of WLs). It seems that it will be difficult for me to find a roommate, for people want to save the money.......

A friend lives in Courtland Towers and has never complained. I know nothing about Courtland Park.

Anywhere in Cherrydale will be cheaper than Ballston. Cherrydale is the neighborhood more or less directly northwest of the law school. There are a cluster of apartments on Lee Highway where it splits from Old Dominion.

Westover is another decent option, and even cheaper than Cherrydale. Westover is roughly the area around Washington Blvd and Patrick Henry Dr, about two miles west of the law school. It's about halfway in between Ballston and East Falls Church metros.

Thank you so much for your information~~Are you currents students in GM?

cardinalandgold

Postby cardinalandgold » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:33 am

Just withdrew from George Mason. Good luck everyone, hope this clears a spot for someone still waiting.

pptmmt

Postby pptmmt » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:39 am

cardinalandgold wrote:Just withdrew from George Mason. Good luck everyone, hope this clears a spot for someone still waiting.

You got plenty of good options. That U. Mich acceptance rocks. Good luck!

pptmmt

Postby pptmmt » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:40 am

sunnygirl wrote:
BigFatPanda wrote:

Dear Barton House,
I am here to restate my interest in renting one of your apartments.......... :D

From what I've heard, Barton House got 100+ names on their waitlist...

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:57 am

pptmmt wrote:
From what I've heard, Barton House got 100+ names on their waitlist...

Ok, I am done with Barton, kiss goodbye~~ :( Why so many people waiting for Barton, is it that good?

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:48 am

D'oh
Last edited by BigFatPanda on Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ben2010

Postby Ben2010 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:56 am

Visited here this weekend. Really loved it.

Admit me, please?! :D

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:45 am

Ben2010 wrote:Visited here this weekend. Really loved it.

Admit me, please?! :D

You wanna give up your W&M amd Emory for GM?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”