George Mason 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Swingandamiss

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby Swingandamiss » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:25 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
klussy wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:Oh, I figured you were referring to the Green Line, but I'm wondering as to why you're referring to it as the "Soul Train."

um....
really? lol

Yeah, really.

I think what he's saying is that the green line enters into a very heavily minority area after you leave the District...and the part of the rap is as previously stated because the green line (and/or the areas around the metros) sees its fair share of violence.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:39 pm

Swingandamiss wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:
klussy wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:Oh, I figured you were referring to the Green Line, but I'm wondering as to why you're referring to it as the "Soul Train."

um....
really? lol

Yeah, really.

I think what he's saying is that the green line enters into a very heavily minority area after you leave the District...and the part of the rap is as previously stated because the green line (and/or the areas around the metros) sees its fair share of violence.

So riding the subway with black people through unsafe neighborhoods makes it the "Soul Train."

Alright. Interesting. /questioning.

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:15 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
sunnygirl wrote:
eandy wrote:
klussy wrote:I'm still considering GMU but the lack of affordable housing is a major drawback.

+1
Stickershock. I pay 329 in rent now--it's hard to adjust to the idea of paying so much more.

+2 I currently live at home, it's hard to imagine we will have to pay 1000 for rent every month. The idea is killing me.

$1,000? If you can find a 1BR in a decent part of Arlington for that cheap, let me know about it.

Ok, frankly speaking, I failed. I did some search and never found a 1BR under 1400+. 1200 is what I could afford, the most. Sometimes I just think may be it would be less expensive to pay the mortgage than to pay the rent.
BTW, since you are not attending, there is no need for you to worry about the expensive rent......

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:04 pm

sunnygirl wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:$1,000? If you can find a 1BR in a decent part of Arlington for that cheap, let me know about it.

Ok, frankly speaking, I failed. I did some search and never found a 1BR under 1400+. 1200 is what I could afford, the most. Sometimes I just think may be it would be less expensive to pay the mortgage than to pay the rent.
BTW, since you are not attending, there is no need for you to worry about the expensive rent......

Actually, I was only half-joking! Might come back to DC for an externship or a semester program ... can always use the info.

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:38 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
sunnygirl wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:$1,000? If you can find a 1BR in a decent part of Arlington for that cheap, let me know about it.

Actually, I was only half-joking! Might come back to DC for an externship or a semester program ... can always use the info.

Ha, I knew~~may I ask where you are attending?

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:51 pm

sunnygirl wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:
sunnygirl wrote:

Ha, I knew~~may I ask where you are attending?

Haven't decided just yet, mulling over some scholly offers and waiting for further acceptances! UNC, Illinois, Pitt and Villanova look good so far.

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:06 am

FunkyJD wrote:Haven't decided just yet, mulling over some scholly offers and waiting for further acceptances! UNC, Illinois, Pitt and Villanova look good so far.

Wow~I got WL by Illinois, though I didn't mean to go there. Dean Pless is really a nice guy~
I am waiting for further info about scholarship. I haven't got the letter from GM yet, but Pepperdine gave me 15k a year.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:09 am

sunnygirl wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:Haven't decided just yet, mulling over some scholly offers and waiting for further acceptances! UNC, Illinois, Pitt and Villanova look good so far.

Wow~I got WL by Illinois, though I didn't mean to go there. Dean Pless is really a nice guy~
I am waiting for further info about scholarship. I haven't got the letter from GM yet, but Pepperdine gave me 15k a year.

Pepperdine has a sweeeeet campus. Malibu. Nice.

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:41 am

FunkyJD wrote:
sunnygirl wrote:

Yeah, I just got the letter from my mum's office. GM sent the letter to there. I got 8k from GM, but I have to remain top 25%in order to keep it.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:55 am

sunnygirl wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:
sunnygirl wrote:

Yeah, I just got the letter from my mum's office. GM sent the letter to there. I got 8k from GM, but I have to remain top 25%in order to keep it.

top 25% is bullshit. Just saying

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:09 am

MarkRenton wrote:

Ha, it is quite annoying. But at least I can get the 8k in the first year. It does help, though not that much, considering I have to pay out-state tuition and find a decent place to live.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:17 am

sunnygirl wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:

Ha, it is quite annoying. But at least I can get the 8k in the first year. It does help, though not that much, considering I have to pay out-state tuition and find a decent place to live.

So sunnygirl, are you going to go to GMU? What're your thoughts about the place?

BTW, sunnygirl, are you British?
Last edited by MarkRenton on Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

egb23

Postby egb23 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:19 am

In via phone call. I was one of the people whose status checker supposedly indicated I was receiving a ding letter. I am still confused, but happy to be in. Anyone waiting just hang on. I know they are working on it at least.

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:42 pm

Anybody paying deposit yet?

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:15 am

sunnygirl wrote:Anybody paying deposit yet?

I put my down on the 15th @ 0630 AM, Eastern Time. BTW, is your 8k scholarship or grant? If scholarship, did they tell you which type you've won?

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:50 am

BigFatPanda wrote:

I put my down on the 15th @ 0630 AM, Eastern Time. BTW, is your 8k scholarship or grant? If scholarship, did they tell you which type you've won?

It is said on the letter:" You are being awarded a Mason Law Scholarship." So, it should be scholarship. Are you applying for grant? Could I ask what's the difference between them? That may sound silly, but I never figure them out.......

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:57 am

So has GMU award all its scholarships by now to people who were accepted a while ago?

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:53 am

BigFatPanda wrote:

To my best understanding, grant is need-based aid that is income dependent, which does not need to be pay back. I think this is very common with International Applicants who do not have GPA because it would be hard to justify a scholarship (which is given out base on combination of GPA and standardized test score) whereas it is far simpler to justify giving out grants base on need. I suspect what most of international applicant called "full scholarship" are in reality grants.

Nevertheless, if Mason gave u money, that means Mason really wanted you. So congratulations.

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:33 am

BigFatPanda wrote:
BigFatPanda wrote:

To my best understanding, grant is need-based aid that is income dependent, which does not need to be pay back. I think this is very common with International Applicants who do not have GPA because it would be hard to justify a scholarship (which is given out base on combination of GPA and standardized test score) whereas it is far simpler to justify giving out grants base on need. I suspect what most of international applicant called "full scholarship" are in reality grants.

Nevertheless, if Mason gave u money, that means Mason really wanted you. So congratulations.

Thx for your answer~Maybe Mason gave me because I really need it. So do that mean I am still capable of having some kind of grants?Haha~so you are attending?

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:40 am

T14_Scholly wrote:So has GMU award all its scholarships by now to people who were accepted a while ago?

I am not sure, but they sent the letters in a batch. Based on what I saw here, GM is not offering much to us.......I just see a few got scholarships, the amount isn't big as well.

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:54 am

sunnygirl wrote:Thx for your answer~Maybe Mason gave me because I really need it. So do that mean I am still capable of having some kind of grants?Haha~so you are attending?

If you have submitted your FAFSA or equivalent form for international applicants, then Mason will consider you for additional grants.

Funny thing actually, i mailed out my deposite to GMU (my "school that i want to go to") on 3/15 around 0600 AM and i received admissions email from another school (my "school that i would love to go to") around 1055 AM the same day.

So i am basically fighting myself about which school its gonna be. I guess i'll find out if i am going to lose that $500 deposit after i attend the other school's Admitted Student event.

SAE

Postby SAE » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:58 am

Admitted in January, still no scholarship info. Safe to assume it's not coming?

whatchootalkinbout

Postby whatchootalkinbout » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:03 am

Got a scholly last week, but I just withdrew. Hope my spot/$$ goes to someone!

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:45 pm

I think I got dinged! 2-4 weeks 'til a letter. So to the nice person that asked if GMU was my 1st choice, I can now confirm that it is not :D.

squirtle

Postby squirtle » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:06 pm

admitted a few months back...withdrew today....good luck all

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”