George Mason 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MarkRenton

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby MarkRenton » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:00 pm

I don't know about GMU. I've never liked certain aspects of a school so much and detested so many other parts of it. I think it'll be a very tough sell for me at sticker. I love the law/economics part, the funnel into government jobs, some of the programs... I hate the fact that it's not part of a larger university campus, big corporate Arlington, the fact that it competes with so many other local schools....

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:00 pm

Anyone thinking of going to the next ASW?

eandy

Postby eandy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:05 pm

I'm thinking about it, but April 10th is so close to deadlines. I want to have my deposit paid by the tenth. The idea of waiting until the very last minute doesn't appeal to me. If I'm going to an ASW to help me make a decision, I want time to think about and absorb what I saw.Plus, I don't think I'm going to get any money, and I'd much rather go to UGA at near-sticker than George Mason at sticker.
I'm going to a conference in Washington in a few weeks, so I am thinking about sneaking in a visit then. At least then, I'll have a tiny bit of time to think about it.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:12 pm

eandy wrote:I'm thinking about it, but April 10th is so close to deadlines. I want to have my deposit paid by the tenth. The idea of waiting until the very last minute doesn't appeal to me. If I'm going to an ASW to help me make a decision, I want time to think about and absorb what I saw.Plus, I don't think I'm going to get any money, and I'd much rather go to UGA at near-sticker than George Mason at sticker.
I'm going to a conference in Washington in a few weeks, so I am thinking about sneaking in a visit then. At least then, I'll have a tiny bit of time to think about it.

I was thinking about dropping by in the next couple weeks as well. As much as I'd like to meet folks at the ASW, I tihnk I'd get more out of actually sitting in on a class and roaming the halls while classes are going on. And as you said, April 17th is quite a ways away.

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:16 pm

wizoz wrote:
OneKnight wrote:Just for fun, if you've never seen it before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T1RMuoQnKo
If you've never been in Arlington before you'll get it soon enough :)

Wow....A-town!

Did you see the Fairfax rap response? Hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3ltMTXlCvk&NR=1

I love the comment circle jerks on these pages bragging about what is essentially a gigantic strip mall and parking lot.

Visit Nova before you decide to attend, otherwise you'll WTF yourself to sleep at night.

eandy

Postby eandy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Yeah, there is not much going on at the Open House that I can't get out of a regular visit and class. So, looks like I'll be visiting March 31st :)

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:28 pm

erniesto wrote:
wizoz wrote:
OneKnight wrote:Just for fun, if you've never seen it before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T1RMuoQnKo
If you've never been in Arlington before you'll get it soon enough :)

Wow....A-town!

Did you see the Fairfax rap response? Hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3ltMTXlCvk&NR=1

I love the comment circle jerks on these pages bragging about what is essentially a gigantic strip mall and parking lot.

Visit Nova before you decide to attend, otherwise you'll WTF yourself to sleep at night.

Actually, if you've never seen the video before, it's making fun of Arlington in all the right places. I lived in Arlington for several years and found it to be quite pleasant. The jogging/biking trails are great and the "gigantic strip mall" is also home to a pretty decent ice rink (which is uncommon in Virginia). There are a LOT worse places to spend three years studying at law school. (How about Loyola Los Angeles' fantastic location? :P)

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:34 pm

eandy wrote:Yeah, there is not much going on at the Open House that I can't get out of a regular visit and class. So, looks like I'll be visiting March 31st :)

Exciting! I'm not too sure when I'll be passing through, but let's exchange notes on what we think afterward. Do you suspect that you're going to like the place more or less after you visit? I'm concerned...

eandy

Postby eandy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:43 pm

MarkRenton wrote:
eandy wrote:Yeah, there is not much going on at the Open House that I can't get out of a regular visit and class. So, looks like I'll be visiting March 31st :)

Exciting! I'm not too sure when I'll be passing through, but let's exchange notes on what we think afterward. Do you suspect that you're going to like the place more or less after you visit? I'm concerned...

I'm going in with the idea that I need to be completely wow'd by what I see there. It's hard to justify the extra cost of going there, and that's what they're going to have to do.
I'm a George Mason skeptic. I want to buy into it, but I don't know if I can.

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:48 am

eandy wrote:
klussy wrote:I'm still considering GMU but the lack of affordable housing is a major drawback.

+1
Stickershock. I pay 329 in rent now--it's hard to adjust to the idea of paying so much more.

+2 I currently live at home, it's hard to imagine we will have to pay 1000 for rent every month. The idea is killing me.

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:51 am

Could you tell us about your visiting when you come back? I have no time to visit GM, so thx a lot~~~

eandy

Postby eandy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:02 am

sunnygirl wrote:

Could you tell us about your visiting when you come back? I have no time to visit GM, so thx a lot~~~

Sure, I'll give a full report and try to include pictures--my digital camera is about 8 years old, though, so no promises : )

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:49 am

sunnygirl wrote:
eandy wrote:
klussy wrote:I'm still considering GMU but the lack of affordable housing is a major drawback.

+1
Stickershock. I pay 329 in rent now--it's hard to adjust to the idea of paying so much more.

+2 I currently live at home, it's hard to imagine we will have to pay 1000 for rent every month. The idea is killing me.

$1,000? If you can find a 1BR in a decent part of Arlington for that cheap, let me know about it.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:51 am

Withdrawing. Good luck to all.

jjinva

Postby jjinva » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:06 am

See, GMU was my #1 choice. In-state here (low tuition), live in Arlington already, I like that because its not connected to the undergrad campus, its a more serious school. Not cutthroat, but also not so juvenile.

Its also ranked higher than some other DC schools according to my research. Sure, its not GT or GW, but its not AU or Catholic either. My only concern about GMU is the fact that its a VA school. Sure, Arlington isn't really VA socially, but technically its VA, so you get your share of haters and questionable state funding.

JasonCG

Postby JasonCG » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:17 am

FunkyJD wrote:
sunnygirl wrote:
eandy wrote:

+1

$1,000? If you can find a 1BR in a decent part of Arlington for that cheap, let me know about it.

If you plan to study law in a major city, housing is going to be expensive, and the Arlington area is cheaper than if you were in DC proper, not to mention places like NYC. I live 2 miles from the GMU law campus in a nice neighborhood and I pay $900 (including water, gas and heat) for a 600 square foot 1BR. It's not a high rise, and I don't have a fitness center, but it's a nice place. It is a short bike ride to the campus, or a 10 minute walk to the nearest metro.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:22 am

jjinva wrote:See, GMU was my #1 choice. In-state here (low tuition), live in Arlington already, I like that because its not connected to the undergrad campus, its a more serious school. Not cutthroat, but also not so juvenile.

Its also ranked higher than some other DC schools according to my research. Sure, its not GT or GW, but its not AU or Catholic either. My only concern about GMU is the fact that its a VA school. Sure, Arlington isn't really VA socially, but technically its VA, so you get your share of haters and questionable state funding.

Depending on what you mean, I would quibble with that part. Some say AU is better than Mason. Some say Mason is better than AU. For the most part, they're largely equivalent, in terms of where they're going to get you career-wise. Maybe Mason has an edge in one area, maybe AU has an edge in another, but I think once you net everything out, both get you to essentially the same place.

If you're in-state, though, I can easily understand how you feel. Mason at in-state sticker is a handful, but it's still a better deal than AU at sticker. ($42.5k vs. $66k).

ViIIager

Postby ViIIager » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:26 am

I hear there are some great places in Southeast that are really cheap, and you'd get the chance to ride the Soul Train to school each day! :mrgreen:

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:51 am

ViIIager wrote:I hear there are some great places in Southeast that are really cheap, and you'd get the chance to ride the Soul Train to school each day! :mrgreen:

What's the Soul Train?

ViIIager

Postby ViIIager » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:51 am

FunkyJD wrote:
ViIIager wrote:I hear there are some great places in Southeast that are really cheap, and you'd get the chance to ride the Soul Train to school each day! :mrgreen:

What's the Soul Train?

Green line on the Metro. I think it's actually mentioned in GoRemy's Arlington Rap--they take a taxi instead.

In all honesty, you can live pretty much anywhere the Metro has a stop and be fine commuting to the Virginia Square stop on the Orange line. Arlington is the main spot if you want to walk to school, but you could live out in New Carrolton or Largo in Maryland and still be fine. I personally recommend living somewhere along the Orange line because a) Red line is always delayed and likes to derail, b) Green line isn't appropriate at night unless you carry a firearm, and c) Blue line may force you to transfer to Orange unless you're in the sweet spot where the two lines run concurrently (I personally hate to transfer because I'm lazy).

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:06 pm

ViIIager wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:

What's the Soul Train?

Green line on the Metro. I think it's actually mentioned in GoRemy's Arlington Rap--they take a taxi instead.

In all honesty, you can live pretty much anywhere the Metro has a stop and be fine commuting to the Virginia Square stop on the Orange line. Arlington is the main spot if you want to walk to school, but you could live out in New Carrolton or Largo in Maryland and still be fine. I personally recommend living somewhere along the Orange line because a) Red line is always delayed and likes to derail, b) Green line isn't appropriate at night unless you carry a firearm, and c) Blue line may force you to transfer to Orange unless you're in the sweet spot where the two lines run concurrently (I personally hate to transfer because I'm lazy).

Oh, I figured you were referring to the Green Line, but I'm wondering as to why you're referring to it as the "Soul Train."

klussy

Postby klussy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:13 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
ViIIager wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:

What's the Soul Train?

Oh, I figured you were referring to the Green Line, but I'm wondering as to why you're referring to it as the "Soul Train."

um....
really? lol

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:18 pm

klussy wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:Oh, I figured you were referring to the Green Line, but I'm wondering as to why you're referring to it as the "Soul Train."

um....
really? lol

Yeah, really.

DoktorZaius

Postby DoktorZaius » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:10 pm

klussy wrote:
um....
really? lol

+1

jjinva

Postby jjinva » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:23 pm

Basically, the green line comments are racial. Some truth to them? Decide for yourself.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”