George Mason 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
flowerpot

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby flowerpot » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:21 pm

Just accepted via phone call/voicemail! Admit packet is on the way!

LessThanLiz

Postby LessThanLiz » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:39 pm

For those accepted throughout this cycle: did you all find out via phone call or did some people find out solely by snail mail (or e-mail, etc.)

mufyani

Postby mufyani » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:47 pm

Status checker says I will receive a letter within four weeks. Expecting to be dinged...

atfarmer

Postby atfarmer » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:46 pm

just phone call for me liz

HERetICal

Postby HERetICal » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:48 pm

atfarmer wrote:just phone call for me liz

I think it's been phone call for everyone so far.

jjinva

Postby jjinva » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:21 pm

For those people that need to drive a car to GMU Law, is the parking situation ok? I am sure the parking permits are crazy expensive, but is space an issue for daytime students?

Thanks.

HERetICal

Postby HERetICal » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:28 pm

jjinva wrote:For those people that need to drive a car to GMU Law, is the parking situation ok? I am sure the parking permits are crazy expensive, but is space an issue for daytime students?

Thanks.

If you're talking about street parking, it's going to be an issue in Arlington. It'll probably be zoned or metered.

KristaLyn

Postby KristaLyn » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:31 pm

jjinva wrote:For those people that need to drive a car to GMU Law, is the parking situation ok? I am sure the parking permits are crazy expensive, but is space an issue for daytime students?

Thanks.

George Mason has a parking garage and I have always been able to find a spot in it. Its not super expensive, its $125 the first semester and $100 the second semester.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:20 pm

Anyone else just get the e-mail that your financial aid info is available online, click this link -but asking for your G number/Claim code, which is nowhere to be found?

law10

Postby law10 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:28 pm

ruleser wrote:Anyone else just get the e-mail that your financial aid info is available online, click this link -but asking for your G number/Claim code, which is nowhere to be found?

Yes. I called the tech line and was told that this was a common error, and to call the registrar's office tomorrow. It appears that we were supposed to be given information from the admissions office (G # & pin) before being contacted by fin-aid.

roguey

Postby roguey » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:30 pm

law10 wrote:
ruleser wrote:Anyone else just get the e-mail that your financial aid info is available online, click this link -but asking for your G number/Claim code, which is nowhere to be found?

Yes. I called the tech line and was told that this was a common error, and to call the registrar's office tomorrow. It appears that we were supposed to be given information from the admissions office (G # & pin) before being contacted by fin-aid.

Hrm... I've been accepted, but I didn't get that email.

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:11 am

roguey wrote:
law10 wrote:

Hrm... I've been accepted, but I didn't get that email.

Don't worry. Nor do I. Just wait to see whether they are sending it today or not.

truthypants

Postby truthypants » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:19 am

FunkyJD wrote:
newlaw77 wrote:I was also at ASD for George Mason. In my information session a George Mason Rep did say that we should not expect to be making any money right out of law school. She also said tuition for next year can go up anywhere from 3-30% so I kind of disregarded anything that was said after hearing that.

:shock:

This does not inspire confidence.

Anyone still think it's a good idea to go to Mason at sticker, especially given this knowledge?

I mean, think about it like buying a lottery ticket--i.e., you getting a good job is analogous to you hitting the lottery. I can tell you that I know people at Mason that have gotten biglaw, but on the other hand, I also know people without jobs (any) that have graduated from Mason. I'm not sure if that is just Mason or law school in general. I guess it comes down to how risk averse you are (i.e., are you willing to spend $200,000 on a lottery ticket). Worst case scenario is you wind up graduating with a JD and no job (believe me, those people do exist at Mason). Best case would be you landing biglaw or a cushy federal govt. gig (those people also exist at Mason). It's a crapshoot, I won't lie (I know people on both ends of the spectrum).

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:14 am

truthypants wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:
newlaw77 wrote:I was also at ASD for George Mason. In my information session a George Mason Rep did say that we should not expect to be making any money right out of law school. She also said tuition for next year can go up anywhere from 3-30% so I kind of disregarded anything that was said after hearing that.

:shock:

This does not inspire confidence.

Anyone still think it's a good idea to go to Mason at sticker, especially given this knowledge?

I mean, think about it like buying a lottery ticket--i.e., you getting a good job is analogous to you hitting the lottery. I can tell you that I know people at Mason that have gotten biglaw, but on the other hand, I also know people without jobs (any) that have graduated from Mason. I'm not sure if that is just Mason or law school in general. I guess it comes down to how risk averse you are (i.e., are you willing to spend $200,000 on a lottery ticket). Worst case scenario is you wind up graduating with a JD and no job (believe me, those people do exist at Mason). Best case would be you landing biglaw or a cushy federal govt. gig (those people also exist at Mason). It's a crapshoot, I won't lie (I know people on both ends of the spectrum).

Anyone willing to spend $200,000 for a 10% chance of making $160,000/year (or, ITE, maybe more like $140,000/year), and a 90% chance of making less than half of that (possibly with no PI loan reduction assistance, since it's not like government jobs are handed out at Metro stations like the Washington Express), needs to have their f---ing head examined.

Oversimplifying, perhaps, but this is the essence.

law10

Postby law10 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:17 am

druss3ll wrote:Is there a thread for those of us who have already decided to attend GMU this fall or are those conversations being mixed in with the Q and A from current students and the strung-out mutterings of unanswered applicants on this thread?

Also, does anyone know if there is another ASW coming up? I haven't gotten my acceptance package in the mail yet and if that info is on their website I must've missed it.

Also, is anyone else here planning on working full-time through school? Working part-time? Attending school part-time, not working and breaking all out hearts, I mean curves? Currently I like the idea of continuing work full-time and graduating close to debt-free. I'm married without kids so I don't have the time commitment of raising children, and I don't have the social desire/need to be spending a lot of my time away from home. Whether or not I've thought this decision through properly, I have thought it through enough times that I can't come up with any new perspectives on my own so I'm hoping feedback and dialogue on the forum here will illuminate helpful points of view.

Also, how many of you already live in the DC area? Where at and have you given any thought to moving closer slash further away slash nearer a metro stop? I live in alexandria currently, right on the border with arlington at 395 and king and I cant make up my mind whether it makes sense to move on the metro line or not. I know my location is actually pretty good for a commute to V. Square because I'm typing this from my current office in Courthouse, but there are going to be other factors like a new job, my wifes school, blah blah. So, once again, I'm hoping that listening to someone else's thoughts will be helpful.

Finally, I'd be happy to answer questions about moving to/living in nova for anyone. I don't have much to say about actually living in DC as I only did for a couple months, but I've been living and working in nova for a few years now. To begin with, I want to point out that the description of living in nova that the GMU profile linked from the TLS rankings page has is a complete lie. If you want to keep your undergrad liver in lean drinking form, of course there is all the choice and diversity one should expect from a city full of colleges and stressed out young professionals. But by no means is alcohol-fueled night life the only or defining aspect of the social scene available in the DC area.

If this doesn't stimulate this thread like a stick in a beehive...

I'm hoping someone will create an "attending" forum after seat deposits are submitted...I've read through last year's thread and that seemed to be the development (including a FB group), which would be useful.

The second Open House for admitted applicants is April 10, 2010. I attended the most recent one and while it wasn't overly impressive, it was a solid presentation of the school. It was kind of long, and some of the sessions could have been combined, but I enjoyed it and found most of the sessions to be informative.

As you get close to making your final decision, I think the most useful thing you can do is to interact with the professors and your potential future peers (especially current students). If I attend GMUSL, I will be working full-time and going part-time. As such, I actively sought out the part-time students at the Open House (although there weren't many that attended) and I really enjoyed speaking with them. They were focused, but not obsessive; they're working full-time, and their priorities including why they attended Mason are different I suppose.

The weekend confirmed for me that if you choose Mason, you should understand what you are getting. If you like the area, plan to stay, and would be happy working in government or a smaller NOVA firm, then it is an excellent choice! That is not to say that you cannot find work elsewhere (I think an enterprising individual will be successful regardless of what he/she does), but one should not make the decision to attend Mason and ignore the regional reputation (and most common placement areas).

goles5

Postby goles5 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:30 am

174, 3.7 - Accepted PT to Georgetown and PT to GW... will be attending Mason PT

Justification - I went to georgetown undergrad and still owe $60K+. I live in old town alexandria and with a scholarship plus in-state tuition Mason is very affordable.

Also, I have a very demanding full time job and I want to be able to enjoy studying law... I feel like with the competitive environment at Georgetown I would have to bust my ass to maybe finish in the top 50%.

Im not conservative but GW strikes me as WAY too "activist". I look forward to studying in a place that doesnt have knee jerk reaction to some ideas that arent liberal.

Finally, as a single female going to school at night in an urban area, i just feel safer in the virginia square/clarendon area than I would in DC (which can be a cesspool... I swear I got really sick just by standing near a smelly wheezing homeless guy last time i went to DC)

Just my thoughts...

pjo

Postby pjo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:38 am

goles5 wrote:Also, I have a very demanding full time job and I want to be able to enjoy studying law... I feel like with the competitive environment at Georgetown I would have to bust my ass to maybe finish in the top 50%.

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong. But I remeber reading a georgetown thread on here last year where some georgetown students said that GULC is actually surprisingly chill, not cut throat at all. They even said something like only a few ppl tried to write on to law review. On the other hand, I kind of get the feeling that GMU is a far more "serious" environment/studentbody than your post may suggest. Like I said, I read that GULC post a while ago so I may be way off...just saying

truthypants

Postby truthypants » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:00 am

goles5 wrote:174, 3.7 - Accepted PT to Georgetown and PT to GW... will be attending Mason PT

Justification - I went to georgetown undergrad and still owe $60K+. I live in old town alexandria and with a scholarship plus in-state tuition Mason is very affordable.

Also, I have a very demanding full time job and I want to be able to enjoy studying law... I feel like with the competitive environment at Georgetown I would have to bust my ass to maybe finish in the top 50%.

Im not conservative but GW strikes me as WAY too "activist". I look forward to studying in a place that doesnt have knee jerk reaction to some ideas that arent liberal.

Finally, as a single female going to school at night in an urban area, i just feel safer in the virginia square/clarendon area than I would in DC (which can be a cesspool... I swear I got really sick just by standing near a smelly wheezing homeless guy last time i went to DC)

Just my thoughts...

I hate to be the one to say this, but I actually would advise you to go to G'town (the name is just that well respected in DC and will open doors that Mason can't). Trust me, i'm in the pt program at Mason, and you will have to work your ass off if you want the grades (and believe me, here you need the grades). Don't go to Mason thinking it is going to be laid back and easy--it is work work work.

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:08 am

goles5 wrote:174, 3.7 - Accepted PT to Georgetown and PT to GW... will be attending Mason PT

Just my thoughts...

Big fish in smaller pond mentality? Anyways, your GPA/LSAT credentials are so impressive that you'll probably be at the top of Mason PT food chain, which is not good for me at all. Hmmm, perhaps i should disguise myself as a smelly wheezing homeless dude stalking you at the GMU-Arlington metro to discourage you from attending.....

--ImageRemoved--

pptmmt

Postby pptmmt » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:01 pm

BigFatPanda wrote:

Just my thoughts...

Big fish in smaller pond mentality? Anyways, your GPA/LSAT credentials are so impressive that you'll probably be at the top of Mason PT food chain, which is not good for me at all. Hmmm, perhaps i should disguise myself as a smelly wheezing homeless dude stalking you at the GMU-Arlington metro to discourage you from attending.....

--ImageRemoved--

Panda, that guy is in fact super famous...........in China.

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:41 pm

pptmmt wrote:Panda, that guy is in fact super famous...........in China.

China's Next Top Model :mrgreen:

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:33 pm

Those who've gotten scholarships, how were you notified?

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:43 pm

ruleser wrote:Those who've gotten scholarships, how were you notified?

Via snail mail.

ewflay

Postby ewflay » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:49 pm

Has any in-stater received a scholarship offer?

lawlife2010

Postby lawlife2010 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:06 pm

In today at Mason via phonecall!!!! thrilled!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”