George Mason 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
MarkRenton
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:54 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby MarkRenton » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:06 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:
HERetICal wrote:Offered 8k, with 8k each additional year. Same deal as Sauer, top 25% to get the cash.

I'm still shocked at the top 25% requirement. That seems like something a bushleague TTT would do.


Completely agree. Good schools admit good students and simply require good standing and assume they're not giving money to dummies. I haven't received word on a scholarship (or whether I'm even receiving one), but my interest in the school has significantly decreased because I'm pretty sure that all their scholies will probably have the same requirement. I can't go to a place with the assumption that I'll finish in the top 25%.

buckmulligan58
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:52 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby buckmulligan58 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:15 am

In via phone call not more than 90 seconds ago while reading this very thread.

3/168

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby NU_Jet55 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:18 am

buckmulligan58 wrote:In via phone call not more than 90 seconds ago while reading this very thread.

3/168


+1

3.9/164

User avatar
druss3ll
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:38 am

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby druss3ll » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:57 am

NU_Jet55 wrote:
buckmulligan58 wrote:In via phone call not more than 90 seconds ago while reading this very thread.

3/168


+1

3.9/164


+2
2.7/165 PT

User avatar
SAE
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby SAE » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:09 pm

Have all the $ decisions been made or are they just getting started?

Admitted 1/21.

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby Sauer Grapes » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:10 pm

SAE wrote:Have all the $ decisions been made or are they just getting started?

Admitted 1/21.

Who knows. It doesn't seem many have heard yet, but they are also known to be stingy with aid.

User avatar
brigun
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:13 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby brigun » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:13 pm

Would GMU be worth full sticker? I was accepted, but no scholly. IP law or in-house corporate counsel interests me.

User avatar
SAE
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby SAE » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:19 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
SAE wrote:Have all the $ decisions been made or are they just getting started?

Admitted 1/21.

Who knows. It doesn't seem many have heard yet, but they are also known to be stingy with aid.

Hmm.. Getting $ from W&L, coupled with the above-mentioned GMU stinginess, make me sense a withdrawal in the near future.

User avatar
SAE
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby SAE » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:20 pm

brigun wrote:... or in-house corporate counsel interests me.

Pretty sure that requires 5-7 years of law firm experience..

ViIIager
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:09 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby ViIIager » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:25 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
HERetICal wrote:Offered 8k, with 8k each additional year. Same deal as Sauer, top 25% to get the cash.

I'm still shocked at the top 25% requirement. That seems like something a bushleague TTT would do.


Catholic gave me the same top 25% requirement for a scholarship. I was amused for the two minutes it took for me to write them back and withdraw.

GMU has always taken the "we keep tuition low so scholarships are small and rare" approach; given the stats of the people in this thread unhappy about the scholarship requirements, I'd say it might be a strategy that will hurt them long-term. C'mon guys, I need you stars to attend, graduate, get amazing jobs, and boost the value of GMU degrees! :)

User avatar
Pretzel_Logic
Posts: 7797
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:29 pm

In via phone call this morning, cool. :)

ram jam
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:32 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby ram jam » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:31 pm

GMU does not have low tuition. Not relatively, not at all. Who said $35k/year is cheap? Maybe five years ago GMU had low tuition, those days are long gone.

GMU has a small endowment and are incapable of offering decent scholarships. Also, why should they offer scholarships, the demand to attend GMU is strong because of its location. Be happy if you get ANY money at all.

Does anyone think that GMU is worth sticker for an out-of-state student? Residual factors aside like location, rankings, etc. Just from a financial view, do you think it is truly worth it?

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby FunkyJD » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:35 pm

brigun wrote:Would GMU be worth full sticker? I was accepted, but no scholly. IP law or in-house corporate counsel interests me.

GMU's main strength, as I understand it, is government work, not corporate positions. If you were into regulatory law, for instance, it'd be a good option.

Earlier poster was right -- it's really, really difficult to jump from law school straight into an in-house corporate position. Five years of legal experience seems like a common prereq.

I've been admitted to Mason as well. Still hoping for a scholarship. OOS tuition would be tough, especially with the high COL in the DC area -- and especially when you have schools like Villanova and UNC with better job placement in the NLJ250 and generous cash offers. We'll see how it works out, but I am very pleased to have Mason as an option.

User avatar
HERetICal
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:30 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby HERetICal » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:40 pm

ram jam wrote:GMU does not have low tuition. Not relatively, not at all. Who said $35k/year is cheap? Maybe five years ago GMU had low tuition, those days are long gone.

GMU has a small endowment and are incapable of offering decent scholarships. Also, why should they offer scholarships, the demand to attend GMU is strong because of its location. Be happy if you get ANY money at all.

Does anyone think that GMU is worth sticker for an out-of-state student? Residual factors aside like location, rankings, etc. Just from a financial view, do you think it is truly worth it?




Not unless they're offering some $$. NOVA's COL effectively doubles GMU's cost.

erniesto
Posts: 298
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:56 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby erniesto » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:52 pm

ViIIager wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
HERetICal wrote:Offered 8k, with 8k each additional year. Same deal as Sauer, top 25% to get the cash.

I'm still shocked at the top 25% requirement. That seems like something a bushleague TTT would do.


GMU has always taken the "we keep tuition low so scholarships are small and rare" approach; given the stats of the people in this thread unhappy about the scholarship requirements, I'd say it might be a strategy that will hurt them long-term. C'mon guys, I need you stars to attend, graduate, get amazing jobs, and boost the value of GMU degrees! :)


This is classic Virginia Public University mentality. No scholarships, lower tuition (Check out W&M and GMU compared to their peers) and 5-10% tuition hikes each year. Its a bait and switch. 8)

BTW you can definitely cut the cost of living in NOVA down drastically. You just need to be willing to commute. You might even be able to find a deal near the metro stop in Springfield, as that area's housing market totally went under.

User avatar
Thomas Jefferson
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:49 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
HERetICal wrote:Offered 8k, with 8k each additional year. Same deal as Sauer, top 25% to get the cash.

I'm still shocked at the top 25% requirement. That seems like something a bushleague TTT would do.


+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Got a smaller award than higher ranked schools gave me. That and the ridiculous top 25% requirement just effectively cut Mason off my list. Also, the lower tuition stuff is crap; the total cost of attendance is within $2k/yr of the other schools I'm considering

Edit: I'm out-of-state at GMU.
Last edited by Thomas Jefferson on Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
truthypants
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:50 am

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby truthypants » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:34 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
gemma232 wrote:Is this the consensus on GMU's financial aid (i.e., need to be top 25% to keep it)? How hard is it to be top 25% at a school like Mason (i.e., fairly easy, fairly difficult)?

Never assume that you will finish at anything but median at any law school. It's not easy to finish in the top 25% at any school.


I agree. I'm not on scholarship, but I wouldn't count on finishing top 25% (too much luck involved).

User avatar
truthypants
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:50 am

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby truthypants » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:57 pm

truthypants wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:
gemma232 wrote:Is this the consensus on GMU's financial aid (i.e., need to be top 25% to keep it)? How hard is it to be top 25% at a school like Mason (i.e., fairly easy, fairly difficult)?

Never assume that you will finish at anything but median at any law school. It's not easy to finish in the top 25% at any school.


I agree. I'm not on scholarship, but I wouldn't count on finishing top 25% (too much luck involved).


*edit*
You guys do know about the new income based repayment option for student loans, right? I did a quick search on this site, and this post sums it up well:

I have a question about the Income Based Repayment (IBR) option for student loans. Does it apply to any job that you get once you graduate? For example, worst-case scenario you graduate $200,000 in debt with a JD and get a job at McDonald's making minimum wage--would you only be responsible for paying a percentage of your minimum wage income under IBR (and not a flat monthly payment)? That is, you have $200,000 in debt, but are only responsible for paying like $20 a month because you don't make very much money at your job? What if you don't have an income (i.e., don't find a job)--does that mean you don't have to pay your loans under the IBR plan?

IBR applies to any job/income. You would be paying a percent of your adjusted gross income. There is no minimum set payment, and if you are unemployed or earning less than the federal poverty line, your monthly payments would be $0. Of course, there would still be interest accruing on the loans. Keep in mind that IBR is only an option for federal loans (Stafford/Direct, GradPLUS, Perkns) not private.

Long story short, it eliminates the pressure to get a job to pay back student loans (i.e., could be unemployed, with over $200,000 in student loans from law school, and your monthly payments under IBR are zero)

They just started this plan at the same time I enrolled, and I know lots of people in law school who justified taking on the law school debt because of the new plan. Just something to think about.

User avatar
juevonate
Posts: 63
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:18 am

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby juevonate » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:33 am

Same deal as most: In state, 8K the first with a top 25% stipulation afterwards.

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby FunkyJD » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:14 am

truthypants wrote:*edit*
You guys do know about the new income based repayment option for student loans, right? I did a quick search on this site, and this post sums it up well:

I have a question about the Income Based Repayment (IBR) option for student loans. Does it apply to any job that you get once you graduate? For example, worst-case scenario you graduate $200,000 in debt with a JD and get a job at McDonald's making minimum wage--would you only be responsible for paying a percentage of your minimum wage income under IBR (and not a flat monthly payment)? That is, you have $200,000 in debt, but are only responsible for paying like $20 a month because you don't make very much money at your job? What if you don't have an income (i.e., don't find a job)--does that mean you don't have to pay your loans under the IBR plan?

IBR applies to any job/income. You would be paying a percent of your adjusted gross income. There is no minimum set payment, and if you are unemployed or earning less than the federal poverty line, your monthly payments would be $0. Of course, there would still be interest accruing on the loans. Keep in mind that IBR is only an option for federal loans (Stafford/Direct, GradPLUS, Perkns) not private.

Long story short, it eliminates the pressure to get a job to pay back student loans (i.e., could be unemployed, with over $200,000 in student loans from law school, and your monthly payments under IBR are zero)

They just started this plan at the same time I enrolled, and I know lots of people in law school who justified taking on the law school debt because of the new plan. Just something to think about.

Let's don't take on $200,000 worth of debt thinking it'll all be okay. IBR isn't a get out of jail free card.

User avatar
MarkRenton
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:54 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby MarkRenton » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:21 am

FunkyJD wrote:
truthypants wrote:*edit*
You guys do know about the new income based repayment option for student loans, right? I did a quick search on this site, and this post sums it up well:

I have a question about the Income Based Repayment (IBR) option for student loans. Does it apply to any job that you get once you graduate? For example, worst-case scenario you graduate $200,000 in debt with a JD and get a job at McDonald's making minimum wage--would you only be responsible for paying a percentage of your minimum wage income under IBR (and not a flat monthly payment)? That is, you have $200,000 in debt, but are only responsible for paying like $20 a month because you don't make very much money at your job? What if you don't have an income (i.e., don't find a job)--does that mean you don't have to pay your loans under the IBR plan?

IBR applies to any job/income. You would be paying a percent of your adjusted gross income. There is no minimum set payment, and if you are unemployed or earning less than the federal poverty line, your monthly payments would be $0. Of course, there would still be interest accruing on the loans. Keep in mind that IBR is only an option for federal loans (Stafford/Direct, GradPLUS, Perkns) not private.

Long story short, it eliminates the pressure to get a job to pay back student loans (i.e., could be unemployed, with over $200,000 in student loans from law school, and your monthly payments under IBR are zero)

They just started this plan at the same time I enrolled, and I know lots of people in law school who justified taking on the law school debt because of the new plan. Just something to think about.

Let's don't take on $200,000 worth of debt thinking it'll all be okay. IBR isn't a get out of jail free card.



Without a scholarship, law school loans will exceed your federal loans limit. So if you don't get a jobbed, you're fucked. I agree with your claim about not taking out more money than you can conceptualize.

Swingandamiss
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:27 am

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby Swingandamiss » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:51 am

FunkyJD wrote:
truthypants wrote:*edit*
You guys do know about the new income based repayment option for student loans, right? I did a quick search on this site, and this post sums it up well:

I have a question about the Income Based Repayment (IBR) option for student loans. Does it apply to any job that you get once you graduate? For example, worst-case scenario you graduate $200,000 in debt with a JD and get a job at McDonald's making minimum wage--would you only be responsible for paying a percentage of your minimum wage income under IBR (and not a flat monthly payment)? That is, you have $200,000 in debt, but are only responsible for paying like $20 a month because you don't make very much money at your job? What if you don't have an income (i.e., don't find a job)--does that mean you don't have to pay your loans under the IBR plan?

IBR applies to any job/income. You would be paying a percent of your adjusted gross income. There is no minimum set payment, and if you are unemployed or earning less than the federal poverty line, your monthly payments would be $0. Of course, there would still be interest accruing on the loans. Keep in mind that IBR is only an option for federal loans (Stafford/Direct, GradPLUS, Perkns) not private.

Long story short, it eliminates the pressure to get a job to pay back student loans (i.e., could be unemployed, with over $200,000 in student loans from law school, and your monthly payments under IBR are zero)

They just started this plan at the same time I enrolled, and I know lots of people in law school who justified taking on the law school debt because of the new plan. Just something to think about.

Let's don't take on $200,000 worth of debt thinking it'll all be okay. IBR isn't a get out of jail free card.


I'm going to have to agree with Funky on this one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this doesn't eliminate the pressure to pay back the loans. If you're making no payments it removes your risk of defaulting and hurting your credit long-term; however, it looks like the interest continues to accrue the entire time you're not paying so your 200,000 of debt would grow pretty quickly if you're not paying down any interest or the principle.

User avatar
Thomas Jefferson
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:32 am

MarkRenton wrote: Without a scholarship, law school loans will exceed your federal loans limit.


Not true, GradPLUS loans cover up to full cost of attendance.

User avatar
Dr. Review
Posts: 1797
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:51 am

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby Dr. Review » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:18 am

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
MarkRenton wrote: Without a scholarship, law school loans will exceed your federal loans limit.


Not true, GradPLUS loans cover up to full cost of attendance.


I think he meant the low interest federal loans, which max out somewhere around 20-25k/yr

User avatar
brigun
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:13 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby brigun » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:11 am

FunkyJD wrote:
truthypants wrote:IBR isn't a get out of jail free card.

This




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AJ1010, caitlinrw, eastring, Google [Bot], mav1993, mike90018, myronbolitar, nathjf, nslaw123, potterotter, sonyco, tinafeyclone and 20 guests