George Mason 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Scarletlady

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby Scarletlady » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:00 pm

What was the turnaround time between submitting your application and recieivng a confirmation email from GMU? According to LSAC everything was transferred last week, along with 2 apps for other schools who sent me confirmation emails. I still have not recieved confirmation from GMU. I am starting to worry they did not get it and that I therefore missed the deadline.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:01 pm

My status has not changed since 2/4. Booo.

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:30 am

News update for those waiting for scholarship like me,
I sent email to ask about the scholarship two days before and got the reply yesterday :'The initial round of scholarship letters are being mailed today and tomorrow.' That means the letters are mailed yeaterday and today, we will have to wait for the snail mail,especially me.

About the career prosepct, I wanna ask that is the situation good for foreign students? As a foreign student, I am worried about my career prospect if I attend GM. Anyone has any idea???Thx~~~

pptmmt

Postby pptmmt » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:16 am

sunnygirl wrote:News update for those waiting for scholarship like me,
I sent email to ask about the scholarship two days before and got the reply yesterday :'The initial round of scholarship letters are being mailed today and tomorrow.' That means the letters are mailed yeaterday and today, we will have to wait for the snail mail,especially me.

About the career prosepct, I wanna ask that is the situation good for foreign students? As a foreign student, I am worried about my career prospect if I attend GM. Anyone has any idea???Thx~~~

Thanks, Sunnygirl!
+1, same here, international student, PT, I am also interested in career prospect for foreign students after law school.

azb

Postby azb » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:59 pm

Scarletlady wrote:What was the turnaround time between submitting your application and recieivng a confirmation email from GMU? According to LSAC everything was transferred last week, along with 2 apps for other schools who sent me confirmation emails. I still have not recieved confirmation from GMU. I am starting to worry they did not get it and that I therefore missed the deadline.

I do not remember exactly how many days it took, but it was not very long....I applied in early November

set88

Postby set88 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:32 pm

Scarletlady wrote:What was the turnaround time between submitting your application and recieivng a confirmation email from GMU? According to LSAC everything was transferred last week, along with 2 apps for other schools who sent me confirmation emails. I still have not recieved confirmation from GMU. I am starting to worry they did not get it and that I therefore missed the deadline.

Took 9 days for me, submitted 2/10, got the email with the status checker link on 2/19. Hasn't changed from "application received" yet.

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:00 pm

pptmmt wrote:

Thanks, Sunnygirl!
+1, same here, international student, PT, I am also interested in career prospect for foreign students after law school.

So the general consensus here is that GMU places best in government and not so much in Private Law:
1. Good News: there are lots of government jobs in the DC metro region and NOVA and their pays are in the high end due to cost of living.
2. Bad news: all government job require US citizenship. Not just Federal, but also state.

As foregin students, i think its important to note that you need to spend your three years wisely (if you so decide to attend GMU). That means you need to network extensively and judiciously to maxmize your opportunities. I think it won't hurt to volunteer for local government and attend local events of tradition to meet really interesting people while building your resume with your future employers. This also includes spending a summer or so volunteering for local politicians as unpaid interns if possible.

law10

Postby law10 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:51 pm

Does anyone know when the financial aid packages will be sent out (are they sent seperately from the scholarship offers)?

flowylime

Postby flowylime » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:24 pm

law10 wrote:Does anyone know when the financial aid packages will be sent out (are they sent seperately from the scholarship offers)?

At the admitted student's day they said that scholarship offers will be sent out starting the beginning of march, but financial aid packages will not be sent until the beginning of april.

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:54 am

BigFatPanda wrote:
pptmmt wrote:

Thanks, Sunnygirl!

So the general consensus here is that GMU places best in government and not so much in Private Law:
1. Good News: there are lots of government jobs in the DC metro region and NOVA and their pays are in the high end due to cost of living.
2. Bad news: all government job require US citizenship. Not just Federal, but also state.

As foregin students, i think its important to note that you need to spend your three years wisely (if you so decide to attend GMU). That means you need to network extensively and judiciously to maxmize your opportunities. I think it won't hurt to volunteer for local government and attend local events of tradition to meet really interesting people while building your resume with your future employers. This also includes spending a summer or so volunteering for local politicians as unpaid interns if possible.

Thx for you info, I'm losing my faith of going to GM~Would the career office offers any useful help?

law10

Postby law10 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:17 pm

Okay. Awesome. Thanks for the info!

flowylime wrote:
law10 wrote:Does anyone know when the financial aid packages will be sent out (are they sent seperately from the scholarship offers)?

At the admitted student's day they said that scholarship offers will be sent out starting the beginning of march, but financial aid packages will not be sent until the beginning of april.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:27 pm

Got $15K for the first year, and $12K for the next 3 years in the mail today.

The $12K the last 3 years is contingent upon being in the top 25% each year. As soon as I am 100% sure I am not going PT, I will withdrawal for sure.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:43 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:Got $15K for the first year, and $12K for the next 3 years in the mail today.

The $12K the last 3 years is contingent upon being in the top 25% each year. As soon as I am 100% sure I am not going PT, I will withdrawal for sure.

Top 25% That's quite a high standard to hit.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:50 pm

MarkRenton wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:Got $15K for the first year, and $12K for the next 3 years in the mail today.

No kidding!

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:00 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:

No kidding!

I'd be very skeptical about this. I didn't realize that schools, particularly tier one institutions, would place such a stringent standard.

gemma232

Postby gemma232 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:28 pm

MarkRenton wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:

No kidding!

I'd be very skeptical about this. I didn't realize that schools, particularly tier one institutions, would place such a stringent standard.

Is this the consensus on GMU's financial aid (i.e., need to be top 25% to keep it)? How hard is it to be top 25% at a school like Mason (i.e., fairly easy, fairly difficult)?

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:42 pm

gemma232 wrote:Is this the consensus on GMU's financial aid (i.e., need to be top 25% to keep it)? How hard is it to be top 25% at a school like Mason (i.e., fairly easy, fairly difficult)?

Never assume that you will finish at anything but median at any law school. It's not easy to finish in the top 25% at any school.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:06 pm

Like I said, my withdrawal is near. I'm 98% sure I won't go to Mason. As soon as I'm 100%, I'm out.

gemma232

Postby gemma232 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:43 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:Like I said, my withdrawal is near. I'm 98% sure I won't go to Mason. As soon as I'm 100%, I'm out.

what were your #'s, if you don't mind me asking?

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:53 pm

gemma232 wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:Like I said, my withdrawal is near. I'm 98% sure I won't go to Mason. As soon as I'm 100%, I'm out.

You check in Sauer Grapes' Prifoile. No wonder he/she will give up GM, he/she has too many good choices.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:05 pm

sunnygirl wrote:
gemma232 wrote:

You check in Sauer Grapes' Prifoile. No wonder he/she will give up GM, he/she has too many good choices.

Mason is local, in-state, and I can keep working. I can't completely count them out unless I decide to go full time or unless Georgetown comes through for part-time.

My #'s are 170/3.7-3.8

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:57 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
sunnygirl wrote:
gemma232 wrote:

Mason is local, in-state, and I can keep working. I can't completely count them out unless I decide to go full time or unless Georgetown comes through for part-time.

My #'s are 170/3.7-3.8

I feel you - somewhat tough decision ITE to leave a paying job and the prospect of graduating not only with no debt, but with savings - yet passing up possibly better lawyer career prospects. I'll be facing the same decision, wish you the best in deciding...

ViIIager

Postby ViIIager » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:37 am

gemma232 wrote:Is this the consensus on GMU's financial aid (i.e., need to be top 25% to keep it)? How hard is it to be top 25% at a school like Mason (i.e., fairly easy, fairly difficult)?

My bet is that its pretty difficult. Earlier in this thread some current GMU students said two things that would spook me: that there's a decent number of "part-time students" that don't have jobs and only go to school (thus having more of the most precious coin in the LS world, time), and that the legal writing course is taught and graded by 3L students that may use some pretty subjective standards. I'd sweat a high scholarship cutoff given that I could get screwed by those two factors just enough to lose it, though I'm also one of the dimmer bulbs that will be vying for the anchorman slot in the class.

HERetICal

Postby HERetICal » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:06 am

Offered 8k, with 8k each additional year. Same deal as Sauer, top 25% to get the cash.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:11 am

HERetICal wrote:Offered 8k, with 8k each additional year. Same deal as Sauer, top 25% to get the cash.

I'm still shocked at the top 25% requirement. That seems like something a bushleague TTT would do.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”