George Mason 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ram jam
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:32 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby ram jam » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:04 pm

To Kiki:

I recently attended the Admitted student's Orientation. Several crucial points were not addressed. By no means do I expect you or any GMU student/Alumnus/school rep to be able or willing to address my concerns, however, there are some questions that, if answered, will enable prospective students, like me, to make an informed and good decision. I thank you for making yourself available to answer questions and share your experience!

Where do Mason Students live? In Arlington? Fairfax? East falls church? West Falls Church? How much is the average rent? Generally...

How do Mason students pay for school? Do they often work part/full time to supp costs?

How much debt do Mason students generally acquire? Is mason worth the cost?

Also...

The economics class in the first semester, is this a general econ micro/macro intro course? Is it law oriented or fundamental?

Thank you in advance! I do not expect stats to substantiate answers of course, only generalizations and your opinions....

User avatar
truthypants
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:50 am

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby truthypants » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:09 pm

ram jam wrote:To Kiki:

I recently attended the Admitted student's Orientation. Several crucial points were not addressed. By no means do I expect you or any GMU student/Alumnus/school rep to be able or willing to address my concerns, however, there are some questions that, if answered, will enable prospective students, like me, to make an informed and good decision. I thank you for making yourself available to answer questions and share your experience!

Where do Mason Students live? In Arlington? Fairfax? East falls church? West Falls Church? How much is the average rent? Generally...

How do Mason students pay for school? Do they often work part/full time to supp costs?

How much debt do Mason students generally acquire? Is mason worth the cost?

Also...

The economics class in the first semester, is this a general econ micro/macro intro course? Is it law oriented or fundamental?

Thank you in advance! I do not expect stats to substantiate answers of course, only generalizations and your opinions....


I'll take a stab at your questions (currently a 1l at Mason).

Where do Mason students live?
Generally, if you live anywhere that is metro accessible, you are good (could be DC, VA, or MD). Mason's law school is right next to the Virginia Square Metro station, so you don't need a car if you live by a metro stop. Rent is what you make of it--the sky is the limit or you can get roommates and spend a couple hundred per month.

How do Mason students pay for school? Do they work?
GRAD Plus loans. Part-time students-yes, they work. Full-time students--not many work.

How much debt do Mason students acquire? Is it worth it?

The most debt I have heard of someone taking on is close to 200gs (i.e. out of state part-time, taking out 40 grand a year in PLUS loans). Is $200,000 in debt worth it for Mason? Well, the good news is that they have IBR (in other words, you are only on the hook for having to pay back like 10% of your income worst case scenario). If they did not have an IBR repayment plan, then no-Mason is flat out not worth it. But, if they are putting a cap on how much you stand to lose in having to pay back your student loans, then maybe it is worth it to take out a ton of money (that is, if you won't have to pay it back because of IBR). Know many students who are attending just because they passed the IBR repayment plan.

Economics class question

The economics class at Mason is an undergraduate microeconomics class (not law oriented at all--coase theorem, supply/demand curves, externalities, incentives, invisible hand,etc). If you majored in economics, you will dominate your classmates. At least in my section, the final exam question was "write your own economics question and answer it" (no joke). Needless to say, the French majors were screwed and all the econ majors basically typed their thesis from undergrad or grad school and moved up the Mason class ranks (I know I did). So, if you haven't taken a microeconomics class and you are going to Mason, do yourself a favor and take one over the summer (it will pay off in your class rank, trust me).

User avatar
truthypants
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:50 am

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby truthypants » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:09 am

luckyduck wrote:
*kiki* wrote:Hello Everyone,

. If anyone has anymore specific questions about my experiences or the situations of my fellow 1Ls, I will be more than happy to answer them. Just remember to try and relax while you guys still can. Things will work out for all of you.


All my best!


Thanks for the info! Do you know how hard is it get off the waitlist?


It's all on your numbers (at least it was last cycle). I got in off the wait list last cycle at almost the very last minute (in summer). My problem was that I applied to Mason at the very last minute (like right before the deadline). Basically, Georgetown and GW took forever to reject me, and when I finally found out I got rejected from those schools, I scrambled to apply for schools in the DC area (rushed to get my app in at Mason). I had a 165 lsat and got in off the wait list--and that was me waiting for the dead last minute to apply to Mason. If you are in the lower to mid 160s, you got a good shot at getting off the wait list (just not of getting into G'town or GW).

User avatar
truthypants
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:50 am

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby truthypants » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:33 am

daagermy1 wrote:
*kiki* wrote:Hello Everyone,

I am a 1L right now at Mason. I am not sure what you guys have covered on this thread, or if you even have any questions left for a current Mason student, but I will answer any questions that you all might have. If any of you attended the recent admitted students weekend, I might have met you yesterday. Best of luck to all of you who are still waiting to hear whether you are in! :) I just wanted to put a little plug in to not take anything that other prospective students take too seriously. I was on this board all the time last cycle. Overall most of the things that were said were highly overstated. First of all, law school is going to be different for everyone. Second, law school is what you make of it. I know several of you are concerned about being able to find the jobs that you would like coming out of a school like Mason. Honestly, some people will have problems finding those jobs, however, those who realize it will be a little more work and are willing to put in the work won't. Nearly all of my 1L friends already have jobs secured for the summer. I secured a position with a Circuit Court Judge back in early December. There is one student in my class who has a position for the summer on the Senate Judiciary Committee even, which is highly sought after by students from T14 schools since it is highly likely that their work this summer will be looking at nominations to fill a seat on the Supreme Court. Overall, don't get too worked up over the idea that rankings are always an absolute indicator of job prospects. If anyone has anymore specific questions about my experiences or the situations of my fellow 1Ls, I will be more than happy to answer them. Just remember to try and relax while you guys still can. Things will work out for all of you.


All my best!


Hey Kiki! Welcome (back?) to the thread and thanks for helping the paranoid crew that we are on TLS.

I've heard from a good number of friends that Mason is a traditionally "conservative" law school. I'm pretty moderate politically, so the environment is not a dealmaker or breaker; just curious if you've seen that conservative angle to be true in terms of your classmates and professors. Thanks!


No--Mason is not like attending a Sara Palin rally or something. Students and professors are pretty down to business about talking about the subject at hand and rarely talk politics at all. I'd say Mason is pretty neutral politics wise (at least they don't talk about it). If anything, students are too busy obsessing over grades/class rank to talk politics (if I had to bet money, i'd say you'd hear someone complaining about LRWA before you heard someone complaining about Obama).

User avatar
*kiki*
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:14 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby *kiki* » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:43 am

I just wanted to add a bit to this question. I think we must have had different economics professors. My professor was ridiculous. He taught us nothing, but instead spent most of the class telling us stories about his time at the FCC (that is when he wasn't making improper comments about lawyers and women). I was not an economics major, and I did struggle in the class. Our exam was half multiple choice and half short answer. THe short answer questions were not that bad, however, the multiple choice questions were a killer. I had several of my friends who were economics majors and made very good grades in the class tell me that several of the "correct" answers were clearly wrong. I really disliked this class, and thought it was pretty useless. I did take a couple of economics classes in undergrad, and I don't think it really helped prepare for this guy at all. I do agree though that if you spent your whole undergrad career studying economics, you will be golden. Luckily though for us political science majors, we have the Founders class this second semester to boost back up our grades. :)

truthypants wrote:
ram jam wrote:To Kiki:

I recently attended the Admitted student's Orientation. Several crucial points were not addressed. By no means do I expect you or any GMU student/Alumnus/school rep to be able or willing to address my concerns, however, there are some questions that, if answered, will enable prospective students, like me, to make an informed and good decision. I thank you for making yourself available to answer questions and share your experience!

Where do Mason Students live? In Arlington? Fairfax? East falls church? West Falls Church? How much is the average rent? Generally...

How do Mason students pay for school? Do they often work part/full time to supp costs?

How much debt do Mason students generally acquire? Is mason worth the cost?

Also...

The economics class in the first semester, is this a general econ micro/macro intro course? Is it law oriented or fundamental?

Thank you in advance! I do not expect stats to substantiate answers of course, only generalizations and your opinions....


I'll take a stab at your questions (currently a 1l at Mason).

Where do Mason students live?
Generally, if you live anywhere that is metro accessible, you are good (could be DC, VA, or MD). Mason's law school is right next to the Virginia Square Metro station, so you don't need a car if you live by a metro stop. Rent is what you make of it--the sky is the limit or you can get roommates and spend a couple hundred per month.

How do Mason students pay for school? Do they work?
GRAD Plus loans. Part-time students-yes, they work. Full-time students--not many work.

How much debt do Mason students acquire? Is it worth it?

The most debt I have heard of someone taking on is close to 200gs (i.e. out of state part-time, taking out 40 grand a year in PLUS loans). Is $200,000 in debt worth it for Mason? Well, the good news is that they have IBR (in other words, you are only on the hook for having to pay back like 10% of your income worst case scenario). If they did not have an IBR repayment plan, then no-Mason is flat out not worth it. But, if they are putting a cap on how much you stand to lose in having to pay back your student loans, then maybe it is worth it to take out a ton of money (that is, if you won't have to pay it back because of IBR). Know many students who are attending just because they passed the IBR repayment plan.

Economics class question

The economics class at Mason is an undergraduate microeconomics class (not law oriented at all--coase theorem, supply/demand curves, externalities, incentives, invisible hand,etc). If you majored in economics, you will dominate your classmates. At least in my section, the final exam question was "write your own economics question and answer it" (no joke). Needless to say, the French majors were screwed and all the econ majors basically typed their thesis from undergrad or grad school and moved up the Mason class ranks (I know I did). So, if you haven't taken a microeconomics class and you are going to Mason, do yourself a favor and take one over the summer (it will pay off in your class rank, trust me).

User avatar
*kiki*
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:14 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby *kiki* » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:46 am

I do agree with your assessment of the political vibe of Mason. However, I really think our sections must be very different. I am in a very chill, laid back section and rarely do I ever hear of anyone obsessing over grades or class rank. It's crazy to hear how different the 1L sections are.

truthypants wrote:
daagermy1 wrote:
*kiki* wrote:Hello Everyone,

I am a 1L right now at Mason. I am not sure what you guys have covered on this thread, or if you even have any questions left for a current Mason student, but I will answer any questions that you all might have. If any of you attended the recent admitted students weekend, I might have met you yesterday. Best of luck to all of you who are still waiting to hear whether you are in! :) I just wanted to put a little plug in to not take anything that other prospective students take too seriously. I was on this board all the time last cycle. Overall most of the things that were said were highly overstated. First of all, law school is going to be different for everyone. Second, law school is what you make of it. I know several of you are concerned about being able to find the jobs that you would like coming out of a school like Mason. Honestly, some people will have problems finding those jobs, however, those who realize it will be a little more work and are willing to put in the work won't. Nearly all of my 1L friends already have jobs secured for the summer. I secured a position with a Circuit Court Judge back in early December. There is one student in my class who has a position for the summer on the Senate Judiciary Committee even, which is highly sought after by students from T14 schools since it is highly likely that their work this summer will be looking at nominations to fill a seat on the Supreme Court. Overall, don't get too worked up over the idea that rankings are always an absolute indicator of job prospects. If anyone has anymore specific questions about my experiences or the situations of my fellow 1Ls, I will be more than happy to answer them. Just remember to try and relax while you guys still can. Things will work out for all of you.


All my best!


Hey Kiki! Welcome (back?) to the thread and thanks for helping the paranoid crew that we are on TLS.

I've heard from a good number of friends that Mason is a traditionally "conservative" law school. I'm pretty moderate politically, so the environment is not a dealmaker or breaker; just curious if you've seen that conservative angle to be true in terms of your classmates and professors. Thanks!


No--Mason is not like attending a Sara Palin rally or something. Students and professors are pretty down to business about talking about the subject at hand and rarely talk politics at all. I'd say Mason is pretty neutral politics wise (at least they don't talk about it). If anything, students are too busy obsessing over grades/class rank to talk politics (if I had to bet money, i'd say you'd hear someone complaining about LRWA before you heard someone complaining about Obama).

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby Sauer Grapes » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:39 am

...
Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ram jam
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:32 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby ram jam » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:06 am

Thanks for the insight, I know many people appreciate it.

Is it possible to obtain In-State tuition at some point for those out-of-state?

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby Sauer Grapes » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:09 am

...
Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
UTaylor526
Posts: 247
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:45 am

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby UTaylor526 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:56 am

Any word on scholarships this week?

User avatar
Thomas Jefferson
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:59 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:Any word on scholarships this week?


From what I've been told, they're deciding awards this week. So, if they notify via email, we should know by the end of the week or beginning of next week, and if they notify via snail mail, figure later next week.

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby NU_Jet55 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:29 am

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
UTaylor526 wrote:Any word on scholarships this week?


From what I've been told, they're deciding awards this week. So, if they notify via email, we should know by the end of the week or beginning of next week, and if they notify via snail mail, figure later next week.


I sent in my app the 28th of Jan and still haven't heard anything-is this good news, is it possible they're considering me for a scholly?

User avatar
*kiki*
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:14 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby *kiki* » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:26 pm

ram jam wrote:Thanks for the insight, I know many people appreciate it.

Is it possible to obtain In-State tuition at some point for those out-of-state?


At the end of last semester they had a domicile information session for those of us that are out of staters looking to receive in state tuition. They basically told us that if you want to get in state tuition you have two options:
1. Marry a Virginia resident
2. Take a year off from school, work in the area, buy property (basically become a resident who isn't in school) and then come back to school

My husband and I actually moved to Virginia, because he had a job offer here. He actually accepted the job offer before I even began applying to schools, and we were told that my chances of receiving in state tuition were slim to none. I am still going to try, but I am not too hopeful.

User avatar
*kiki*
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:14 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby *kiki* » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:28 pm

Thomas Jefferson wrote:
UTaylor526 wrote:Any word on scholarships this week?


From what I've been told, they're deciding awards this week. So, if they notify via email, we should know by the end of the week or beginning of next week, and if they notify via snail mail, figure later next week.



I am actually on scholarship, and if past performance is any indicator, you guys will be hearing via snail mail. Sorry :(

User avatar
SAE
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby SAE » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:43 pm

*kiki* wrote:They basically told us that if you want to get in state tuition you have two options:
1. Marry a Virginia resident
2. Take a year off from school, work in the area, buy property (basically become a resident who isn't in school) and then come back to school

Now, this BLOWS!

How am I not a bona-fide state resident after having lived and gone to school there for one year, registered a car, and (possibly) paid taxes??

User avatar
*kiki*
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:14 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby *kiki* » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:43 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:
UTaylor526 wrote:Any word on scholarships this week?


From what I've been told, they're deciding awards this week. So, if they notify via email, we should know by the end of the week or beginning of next week, and if they notify via snail mail, figure later next week.


I sent in my app the 28th of Jan and still haven't heard anything-is this good news, is it possible they're considering me for a scholly?


Their scholarship offers are made completely separate from their regular admission decisions.

User avatar
SAE
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby SAE » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:46 pm

*kiki* wrote:
ram jam wrote:Thanks for the insight, I know many people appreciate it.

Is it possible to obtain In-State tuition at some point for those out-of-state?


At the end of last semester they had a domicile information session for those of us that are out of staters looking to receive in state tuition. They basically told us that if you want to get in state tuition you have two options:
1. Marry a Virginia resident
2. Take a year off from school, work in the area, buy property (basically become a resident who isn't in school) and then come back to school

My husband and I actually moved to Virginia, because he had a job offer here. He actually accepted the job offer before I even began applying to schools, and we were told that my chances of receiving in state tuition were slim to none. I am still going to try, but I am not too hopeful.

Does this pertain to GMU only or are the requirements same for all other state schools?

User avatar
*kiki*
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:14 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby *kiki* » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:49 pm

SAE wrote:
*kiki* wrote:They basically told us that if you want to get in state tuition you have two options:
1. Marry a Virginia resident
2. Take a year off from school, work in the area, buy property (basically become a resident who isn't in school) and then come back to school

Now, this BLOWS!

How am I not a bona-fide state resident after having lived and gone to school there for one year, registered a car, and (possibly) paid taxes??


I will keep you posted on how my application process goes, but my husband and I have the following criteria which doesn't seem to be enough:
- job offer and acceptance prior to law school application or acceptance
- paid state taxes
- registered and titled our car in VA
- registered to vote
- got VA drivers licenses

As far as I have heard, this is a Virginia standard and applies to all state schools.

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby NU_Jet55 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:32 pm

*kiki* wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:
UTaylor526 wrote:Any word on scholarships this week?


From what I've been told, they're deciding awards this week. So, if they notify via email, we should know by the end of the week or beginning of next week, and if they notify via snail mail, figure later next week.


I sent in my app the 28th of Jan and still haven't heard anything-is this good news, is it possible they're considering me for a scholly?


Their scholarship offers are made completely separate from their regular admission decisions.


Thanks kiki! I noticed that you were from Oklahoma (fellow Okie here), and I was wondering what-if anything-drew you to Northern VA/George Mason besides your husband's job.

User avatar
HERetICal
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:30 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby HERetICal » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:51 pm

SAE wrote:
*kiki* wrote:
ram jam wrote:Thanks for the insight, I know many people appreciate it.

Is it possible to obtain In-State tuition at some point for those out-of-state?


At the end of last semester they had a domicile information session for those of us that are out of staters looking to receive in state tuition. They basically told us that if you want to get in state tuition you have two options:
1. Marry a Virginia resident
2. Take a year off from school, work in the area, buy property (basically become a resident who isn't in school) and then come back to school

My husband and I actually moved to Virginia, because he had a job offer here. He actually accepted the job offer before I even began applying to schools, and we were told that my chances of receiving in state tuition were slim to none. I am still going to try, but I am not too hopeful.

Does this pertain to GMU only or are the requirements same for all other state schools?



This is for all state schools (though from all reports William and Mary seems to have some kinda of magic wand for securing in-state domicile for its students). However, without magic, it's pretty rough. **Full-disclosure - I used to work in GMU's admission office and we answered alotta queries about this topic.**

User avatar
*kiki*
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:14 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby *kiki* » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:05 pm

Thanks kiki! I noticed that you were from Oklahoma (fellow Okie here), and I was wondering what-if anything-drew you to Northern VA/George Mason besides your husband's job.[/quote]

My husband and I really liked the opportunities that the NOVA area offered generally. I really would like to end up in the government sector, and there really isn't a better location for doing so. Mason also has a nice track record of placing students into government positions. For instance, my career mentor is actually employed at the DOJ. We also thought the area would be good for eventually raising a family (really good schools). Plus it didn't hurt that most of the schools are ranked sufficiently higher than any of the law schools in Oklahoma. If you have any specific questions about our move and decision to do so, please let me know.

User avatar
MarkRenton
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:54 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby MarkRenton » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:45 pm

I've never quite figured this out... The law school in Arlington... How much is this on a campus setting? Does the surroundings feel like a university area? Isn't there a main campus somewhere else?

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby ruleser » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:55 pm

Thanks for taking questions - how much a part of things is the law and econ focus?

User avatar
klussy
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:19 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby klussy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:21 pm

MarkRenton wrote:I've never quite figured this out... The law school in Arlington... How much is this on a campus setting? Does the surroundings feel like a university area? Isn't there a main campus somewhere else?


It doesn't have a campus "feel" at all. Arlington has a rather corporate vibe. GMU law is just a standalone building. The UG campus is in Fairfax, about 15 miles away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T1RMuoQnKo

sunnygirl
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:20 am

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby sunnygirl » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:06 pm

*kiki* wrote:
SAE wrote:
*kiki* wrote:They basically told us that if you want to get in state tuition you have two options:
1. Marry a Virginia resident
2. Take a year off from school, work in the area, buy property (basically become a resident who isn't in school) and then come back to school

Now, this BLOWS!

How am I not a bona-fide state resident after having lived and gone to school there for one year, registered a car, and (possibly) paid taxes??


I will keep you posted on how my application process goes, but my husband and I have the following criteria which doesn't seem to be enough:
- job offer and acceptance prior to law school application or acceptance
- paid state taxes
- registered and titled our car in VA
- registered to vote
- got VA drivers licenses

As far as I have heard, this is a Virginia standard and applies to all state schools.



But how about buying an apartment in Virginia while in school? Could it make me a resident??? Though I don't think I could afford one in Arlington or nearby area.......




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CHyde, dianersg, genjustice, Google [Bot], lawschoolbound2017, Maaza, notsolawful, Smc1994, spursforever, Why???, ws120, xn3345 and 36 guests