George Mason 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Zojirushi

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby Zojirushi » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:09 pm

mango26 wrote:Rejected today via snail mail. (3.3, 163, non-URM, so not shocking or anything). i'm not too upset since i hate NoVA, but i hope it's not a sign of more rejections to come...

--ImageRemoved--
Mango cannot believe!

mps200

Postby mps200 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:45 pm

chizUFL wrote:Dinged via snail mail today.

I was suspect since my status checker changed to "You should expect to receive a decision letter in the mail in two to four weeks." last week and I had not received the phone call. Letter arrived fast to Texas though. My first rejection. :(

My status checker changed to "You should expect to receive a decision letter in the mail in two to four weeks" as well. However, this just happened. How long after it changed did people start getting phone calls?

Zojirushi

Postby Zojirushi » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:00 pm

mps200 wrote:

I was suspect since my status checker changed to "You should expect to receive a decision letter in the mail in two to four weeks." last week and I had not received the phone call. Letter arrived fast to Texas though. My first rejection. :(

My status checker changed to "You should expect to receive a decision letter in the mail in two to four weeks" as well. However, this just happened. How long after it changed did people start getting phone calls?

Most (everyone?) got the phone call first. Getting the status change first indicates WL/reject.

Doodsmack

Postby Doodsmack » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:40 pm

BigFatPanda wrote:As long as you pay state income tax, you're good.

Further, you should watch out for this really annoying Virgina car tax: for every $100 worth, they will tax $4.57 out of you. So if you drive a Beemer or Mercedes, its bad news for you. Unless you get a job as a police officer, in that case, the car tax is waived.

So, is it safe to say that if I were to move to VA next month, work in DC until July, and fulfill all the other requirements, I could get in-state tuition starting my 2L year?

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:56 pm

Doodsmack wrote:

Further, you should watch out for this really annoying Virgina car tax: for every $100 worth, they will tax $4.57 out of you. So if you drive a Beemer or Mercedes, its bad news for you. Unless you get a job as a police officer, in that case, the car tax is waived.

So, is it safe to say that if I were to move to VA next month, work in DC until July, and fulfill all the other requirements, I could get in-state tuition starting my 2L year?

Usually, an intent to establish permanent residency can be demonstrated only by doing that for an entire year so here is the deal, you need to live in Virginia for one year: during this one year, you need to pay state income tax, get a local address, register your car, and etc. Only then, you may petition GMU for residency status during your 2L.

Do please double check with GMU financial aid, i am just reading Virginia statue to you as broadly as i can.

fallguy

Postby fallguy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:25 pm

BigFatPanda wrote:
Doodsmack wrote:

Usually, an intent to establish permanent residency can be demonstrated only by doing that for an entire year so here is the deal, you need to live in Virginia for one year: during this one year, you need to pay state income tax, get a local address, register your car, and etc. Only then, you may petition GMU for residency status during your 2L.

Do please double check with GMU financial aid, i am just reading Virginia statue to you as broadly as i can.

If one's spouse works in VA and pays taxes, would that be considered intent?

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:15 pm

Zojirushi wrote:
mps200 wrote:

Most (everyone?) got the phone call first. Getting the status change first indicates WL/reject.

I didn't get the call until at least two hours after my status changed.

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:48 pm

For whoever concerns about the scholarship, the admission office replied me today, just tell me check their website to know about th scholarship. So I think email is useless if you want to pry into the scholarship stuff. Gee, it's impossible that I would ask about the schokarship without going over their website........So my conclusion is: Just sit and wait.

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:29 pm

fallguy wrote:
BigFatPanda wrote:
Doodsmack wrote:

If one's spouse works in VA and pays taxes, would that be considered intent?

http://www.schev.edu/students/VAdomicil ... eResidence

See Section 11

whatchootalkinbout

Postby whatchootalkinbout » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:55 pm

Does anyone know how well GMU grads fair in the DC job market going up against GW, G-town, American, etc.?

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:16 pm

Has anyone given any thought to housing. I have researched some housing websites... Any ideas? What are your plans for finding housing if you choose to attend GMU?

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:19 pm

Housing in Arlington isn't cheap, use craigslist and http://och.gmu.edu/ Think about living a little further out on the metro to save money.

Withdrawing today, gl all!

poslhs

Postby poslhs » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:46 am

Do they call international student too?
My status changed to '2-4 weeks snail mail' thing but I didn't get call or email
George mason was my safety. I just can't believe this.

xanderdellus

Postby xanderdellus » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:14 pm

whatchootalkinbout wrote:Does anyone know how well GMU grads fair in the DC job market going up against GW, G-town, American, etc.?

Bump

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:28 pm

ram jam wrote:Has anyone given any thought to housing. I have researched some housing websites... Any ideas? What are your plans for finding housing if you choose to attend GMU?

Housing are very expensive within walking distance of Mason and within Arlington County. However, there are some cheap options if you go into Fairfax County. I am looking at some 2 bedroom apartment in Alexandria off the Van Dorn Metro (About 20 minute ride to GMU Arlington) selling for $164k and i could rent a room out for $700 or so. Also, there are some foreclosed property in Alexandria going as low as $124k.

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:30 pm

xanderdellus wrote:
whatchootalkinbout wrote:Does anyone know how well GMU grads fair in the DC job market going up against GW, G-town, American, etc.?

Bump

Imagine Rutgers-Newark vs. Columbia, NYU, Fordham, and Cardozo.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:34 pm

BigFatPanda wrote:
xanderdellus wrote:

Bump

I don't think this is quite the case, the employment numbers don't quite bear this out...besides, GMU is ranked higher than American....

crm

Postby crm » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:38 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
BigFatPanda wrote:
xanderdellus wrote:

Bump

I don't think this is quite the case, the employment numbers don't quite bear this out...besides, GMU is ranked higher than American....

From what i've heard and from my cousin who does hiring for a large firm and from another person who works at a large firm, higher ranked the better for the most part. GMU and American will be pretty comparable, just a matter of which one you like better and what field you want to go into

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:18 pm

Pretty quiet the past few days, eh?

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:33 pm

What do u expect, tis the season for snail mail rejections.

statuscheckerssuck

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:17 pm

Just withdrew. Good luck all.

Doodsmack

Postby Doodsmack » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:28 pm

BigFatPanda wrote:
xanderdellus wrote:

Bump

Not true.

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:55 pm

when did the packet say scholarship info would come out?

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:20 pm

did anyone else have their status go blank on them?

I'm up for decision pretty soon (judging by other complete/decision dates). This good sign or bad?

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:23 pm

sarlis wrote:when did the packet say scholarship info would come out?

The packet doesn't say anything about when it comes out, but if you look on the admitted students site it says late-February.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”