George Mason 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mikcou

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby mikcou » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:08 pm

SAE wrote:Nice big envelope in the mail today. Postmarked 1/21.

No explicit mentioning of $$, but the letter reads that they will be contacting again soon.

Yea, that was what I inferred from the letter as well that they would contact as at a later time about potential award offers.

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:09 pm

Rugby15 wrote:I got the call today! 167/3.39

complete date?

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:23 pm

mikcou wrote:
SAE wrote:Nice big envelope in the mail today. Postmarked 1/21.

No explicit mentioning of $$, but the letter reads that they will be contacting again soon.

Yea, that was what I inferred from the letter as well that they would contact as at a later time about potential award offers.

On the accepted students page, there's a sentence about them sending scholarship offers at the end of February.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:26 pm

accepted via call today! 163, 3.73 GPA... nice GMU softs (lots of business and economics stuff)

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:12 pm

In via voicemail today! I was complete on 1/8. My numbers are in my profile. The lady who left the voicemail sounded REALLY nice, but she also sounded really rushed. I don't envy admissions people this time of year.

powerlurker

Postby powerlurker » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:27 pm

In today via voicemail, my status checker was always empty up til now and still is. Submitted on 1/6 but never got a complete email just a link to the status checker.

2.63/165

chizUFL

Postby chizUFL » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:20 pm

Dinged via snail mail today.

I was suspect since my status checker changed to "You should expect to receive a decision letter in the mail in two to four weeks." last week and I had not received the phone call. Letter arrived fast to Texas though. My first rejection. :(

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:45 am

powerlurker wrote:In today via voicemail, my status checker was always empty up til now and still is. Submitted on 1/6 but never got a complete email just a link to the status checker.

2.63/165

i like seeing them accept someone with your numbers :)

here's to hoping 2.6/166 gets it done, GMU is one of my tops :)

Bikeflip

Postby Bikeflip » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:35 am

Yay voicemail! Kinda bummed I didn't get to pick up the phone and say "Sweet." :( Oh well.
168 (Dec retake) 3.87 "Complete" in Oct

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:49 am

chizUFL wrote:Dinged via snail mail today.

I was suspect since my status checker changed to "You should expect to receive a decision letter in the mail in two to four weeks." last week and I had not received the phone call. Letter arrived fast to Texas though. My first rejection. :(

I am pretty sure you weren't going to attend GMU even if you're admitted. Have fun at UT or Columbia.

SAE

Postby SAE » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:17 am

How difficult is it to establish VA residency for GMU tuition purposes? Is it possible to switch to in-state tuition for 2L and 3L years?

chizUFL

Postby chizUFL » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:20 am

BigFatPanda wrote:

I am pretty sure you weren't going to attend GMU even if you're admitted. Have fun at UT or Columbia.

I just didn't think GMU was big on YP. Past year's graphs on LSN certainly don't seem to show too much of that, so it was just kind of surprising to me.

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:26 am

SAE wrote:How difficult is it to establish VA residency for GMU tuition purposes? Is it possible to switch to in-state tuition for 2L and 3L years?

Unfortunately, Virginia is not one of those states that gives out residency on the fly. You actually have to live here for 1 year, have its driver license, registered to vote, and pay state income tax before you become a resident.

Unless you find a job in VA and do your 1L part time (and transfer to full time your 2L and 3L), you won't get in state tuition.

SAE

Postby SAE » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:33 am

BigFatPanda wrote:
SAE wrote:How difficult is it to establish VA residency for GMU tuition purposes? Is it possible to switch to in-state tuition for 2L and 3L years?

Unfortunately, Virginia is not one of those states that gives out residency on the fly. You actually have to live here for 1 year, have its driver license, registered to vote, and pay state income tax before you become a resident.

Unless you find a job in VA and do your 1L part time (and transfer to full time your 2L and 3L), you won't get in state tuition.

Thanks for the info.

Would getting any job be sufficient for that purpose? I can file a return and pay taxes for working 3-4 hours/week for a month at a local Starbucks.
Last edited by SAE on Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:34 am

chizUFL wrote:
BigFatPanda wrote:

I just didn't think GMU was big on YP. Past year's graphs on LSN certainly don't seem to show too much of that, so it was just kind of surprising to me.

To my knowledge, GMU do not practice YP. If you're qualified, you're in. Here, "qualified" means they like everything about you, not just your GPA and LSAT. The reason you were rejected may very well be because:
1. you wrote a crappy personal statement
2. your recommender stabbed you in the back
3. or you drew a picture of yourself giving everyone the "middle finger" on your LSAT writing sample.

But hey, the point is: with your GPA and LSAT, you can get into UT and Columbia. Don't be discouraged by one rejection.

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:37 am

SAE wrote:
BigFatPanda wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Would getting any job be sufficient for that purpose? I can file a return and pay taxes for working 3-4 hours/week for a month at a local Starbucks.

As long as you pay state income tax, you're good.

Further, you should watch out for this really annoying Virgina car tax: for every $100 worth, they will tax $4.57 out of you. So if you drive a Beemer or Mercedes, its bad news for you. Unless you get a job as a police officer, in that case, the car tax is waived.

chizUFL

Postby chizUFL » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:15 am

BigFatPanda wrote:
chizUFL wrote:
BigFatPanda wrote:

To my knowledge, GMU do not practice YP. If you're qualified, you're in. Here, "qualified" means they like everything about you, not just your GPA and LSAT. The reason you were rejected may very well be because:
1. you wrote a crappy personal statement
2. your recommender stabbed you in the back
3. or you drew a picture of yourself giving everyone the "middle finger" on your LSAT writing sample.

But hey, the point is: with your GPA and LSAT, you can get into UT and Columbia. Don't be discouraged by one rejection.

My middle finger drawing was my personal statement actually! :)

Really I was posting to let others know that if the status checker changes to decision mailed and you don't get a phone call, it may not be good news.

And all rejections still sting a little.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:26 pm

Rejected today via snail mail. Ouch, George Mason.

SAE

Postby SAE » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:28 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:Rejected today via snail mail. Ouch, George Mason.

Way to double dip on your ED's. :)

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:33 pm

SAE wrote:

Yeah, that didn't work out so well.

SAE

Postby SAE » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:35 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
SAE wrote:

What do you mean? Did UVA notify NYU that you're their ED applicant?

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:36 pm

SAE wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
SAE wrote:

What do you mean? Did UVA notify NYU that you're their ED applicant?

No, that's not what I mean. I applied ED to UVA only after being deferred at NYU (contract nullified). I meant I got deferred at NYU and rejected at UVA. So... not working out so well.

iSpool

Postby iSpool » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:44 pm

Last edited by iSpool on Thu May 17, 2012 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:45 pm

See you in Arlington in the fall. GMU it will be.

mango26

Postby mango26 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:58 pm

Rejected today via snail mail. (3.3, 163, non-URM, so not shocking or anything). i'm not too upset since i hate NoVA, but i hope it's not a sign of more rejections to come...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”