George Mason 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
sarlis
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby sarlis » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:41 am

sunnygirl wrote:Oh,no, I do want some money from GM, cuz the COL in Arlington seems high to me,despite the low tuition.
Anyway, I send email to ask about the sholarship, I will let you guys know if I get anything.


yes, let us know!

luckyduck
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:06 am

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby luckyduck » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:42 pm

Sent my LOCI today. They are my first choice because of the Law and Economics program.

User avatar
xanderdellus
Posts: 156
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:58 am

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby xanderdellus » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:47 pm

I am really considering GMU, but I am seriously concerned about the conservative tendencies I keep reading about. I really wonder if my moderate-liberal leanings will affect my quality of life and even my grades. Any other lefty-centrists out there with concerns or input?

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby OGR3 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:02 pm

xanderdellus wrote:I am really considering GMU, but I am seriously concerned about the conservative tendencies I keep reading about. I really wonder if my moderate-liberal leanings will affect my quality of life and even my grades. Any other lefty-centrists out there with concerns or input?


I'm a liberal and I'm strongly considering GMU. I grew up in a libertarian family in a conservative town so I have no concerns about the prospects of having political affiliations different than the majority of my classmates. If you're unable to befriend someone with conservative tendencies then you'll probably have a tough time, but otherwise you should be fine.

User avatar
MarkRenton
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:54 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby MarkRenton » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:09 pm

How conservative can the place really be? I'd imagine that nearly all schools are fairly moderate to liberal in the aggregate with a few exceptions like Regent and Berkeley.

uofmsbiggestfan
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 3:03 am

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby uofmsbiggestfan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:46 pm

Lomax wrote:
MoS wrote:
Lomax wrote:Nothing in the actual letter of acceptance addresses scholarship money or the possibility of it. The only thing in the packet that does so is a print-out that talks mostly about loans. This mentions that no additional application is required for scholarship consideration, and that scholarships and fellowships are, in fact, awarded. It also provides a link to a publicly available school webpage having to do with scholarships.


Under the new student section of the website:
The Admissions Office will be sending out scholarship offers in late February.

User avatar
Lomax
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:40 am

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby Lomax » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:42 am

uofmsbiggestfan wrote:Under the new student section of the website:
The Admissions Office will be sending out scholarship offers in late February.


Ah, that's encouraging. Seems foolish of them not to mention that anywhere in the packet.

User avatar
utcris410
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby utcris410 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:09 pm

Status check says I should receive something in 2-4 weeks. Not sure when it changed. I know I checked it mid-week last week.

Doodsmack
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:39 am

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby Doodsmack » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:15 pm

Does everyone else's acceptance letter say something to the effect of "We expect you'll be getting into other top schools, and will be sending additional information about GM in the coming weeks?"

User avatar
Lomax
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:40 am

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby Lomax » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:00 pm

Doodsmack wrote:Does everyone else's acceptance letter say something to the effect of "We expect you'll be getting into other top schools, and will be sending additional information about GM in the coming weeks?"


Yes.

janez68
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:51 am

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby janez68 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:15 pm

I just noticed on the status checker that the program is listed as "General Law". Since all other schools that I applied to use "JD", I am wondering if you guys see "General Law" or "JD". I would think they are the same, but just want to make sure that I had applied to the correct program :) Thanks!

User avatar
Lomax
Posts: 249
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:40 am

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby Lomax » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:38 pm

janez68 wrote:I just noticed on the status checker that the program is listed as "General Law". Since all other schools that I applied to use "JD", I am wondering if you guys see "General Law" or "JD". I would think they are the same, but just want to make sure that I had applied to the correct program :) Thanks!


I never even got a status checker.

User avatar
Zojirushi
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby Zojirushi » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:38 pm

janez68 wrote:I just noticed on the status checker that the program is listed as "General Law". Since all other schools that I applied to use "JD", I am wondering if you guys see "General Law" or "JD". I would think they are the same, but just want to make sure that I had applied to the correct program :) Thanks!

I was WLed, and mine states general law.

User avatar
Nicholasnickynic
Posts: 1126
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:42 pm

ram jam wrote:I hope the 164 will get the job done for me. For those hoping to attend: How will you pay the tuition... Virginia is extremely hard to get domicile status for out of state students. Living expenses in arlington also exceed the average for other schools. (34k + 20K)*3 = $162,000 Is there something I am missing? How do you cope with something like this?


I already live in va, so thats 60k for three years. And my Wife pays CoL.

So thats how I cope =)


Edited to not be a complete douche: I applied and got into other schools where I wasn't in state. So I thought I would apply to a virginia school. One way to cope would be to find a school where its easier to obtain instate or to apply to colleges in your state.

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby ruleser » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:49 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
ram jam wrote:I hope the 164 will get the job done for me. For those hoping to attend: How will you pay the tuition... Virginia is extremely hard to get domicile status for out of state students. Living expenses in arlington also exceed the average for other schools. (34k + 20K)*3 = $162,000 Is there something I am missing? How do you cope with something like this?


I already live in va, so thats 60k for three years. And my Wife pays CoL.

So thats how I cope =)


Edited to not be a complete douche: I applied and got into other schools where I wasn't in state. So I thought I would apply to a virginia school. One way to cope would be to find a school where its easier to obtain instate or to apply to colleges in your state.

GMU is relatively cheap, even out of state. If you get some scholly, then you are essentially like getting a much larger one at another school.

tesoro
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:10 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby tesoro » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:52 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
ram jam wrote:I hope the 164 will get the job done for me. For those hoping to attend: How will you pay the tuition... Virginia is extremely hard to get domicile status for out of state students. Living expenses in arlington also exceed the average for other schools. (34k + 20K)*3 = $162,000 Is there something I am missing? How do you cope with something like this?


I already live in va, so thats 60k for three years. And my Wife pays CoL.

So thats how I cope =)


Edited to not be a complete douche: I applied and got into other schools where I wasn't in state. So I thought I would apply to a virginia school. One way to cope would be to find a school where its easier to obtain instate or to apply to colleges in your state.



Tuition for PT = ~$12k/yr (resident).
Rent = $570/mo where I live (down the street).

Debt therefore = ~$80k over four years.

Working full time and attending mason = padding my savings account.

I don't really understand where the issue is here. Mason, at sticker, is BY FAR the cheapest school I have been admitted to, even after receiving enormous scholarship offers from peer schools. It shouldn't be very hard to finance it at all (relatively speaking as compared to any other peer school).

sunnygirl
Posts: 128
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:20 am

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby sunnygirl » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:13 am

OK, they haven't replied to me yet. I gonna keep sending them emails until they notice me~
Actually, anyone feel the COL is high like I do?comparing with the tuition........

User avatar
Zojirushi
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby Zojirushi » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:25 am

sunnygirl wrote:OK, they haven't replied to me yet. I gonna keep sending them emails until they notice me~
Actually, anyone feel the COL is high like I do?comparing with the tuition........


Yes, COL is high in Nova compared to the rest of the nation, but people often call it "affordable" when in comparison to the rest of DC.

User avatar
rockthelaw
Posts: 475
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:53 am

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby rockthelaw » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:01 pm

I've been living in NoVa for over 2 years now, so I'm used to the high CoL. Just find yourself a couple roommates and be ready to search far and wide in NoVa for housing that isn't crazy expensive, and you should be OK. A lot of the highrise apartments close to the law school are overpriced, but there are good deals out there for people willing to look.

User avatar
Modian
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:02 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby Modian » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:47 pm

Out of curiousity, does anyone else have a blank on their status checker after where it says, "Decision Status:"? File is complete and it says, "Decision Status Date: 1/12/2010" also.

User avatar
utcris410
Posts: 469
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby utcris410 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:58 pm

I don't have the Decision Status part. This is what I have:

Status
Term: Fall Year: 2010
Program Time: full-time Degree: General Law

I checked yesterday and it says to expect a letter within 2-4 weeks.

WMCowgirl
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:58 am

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby WMCowgirl » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:59 pm

utcris410 wrote:I don't have the Decision Status part. This is what I have:

Status
Term: Fall Year: 2010
Program Time: full-time Degree: General Law

I checked yesterday and it says to expect a letter within 2-4 weeks.



Me too...from what I understand from this message board...no phone call means that it is either a waitlist or a rejection. I am crossing my fingers for a waitlist!!!

User avatar
fulkersonr1
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby fulkersonr1 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:35 pm

Decided to withdraw my application today. GMU is a good school but don't think it is the right place for me. Good luck to everyone else.

User avatar
Anastasia Dee Dualla
Posts: 1165
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:03 am

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:51 pm

sunnygirl wrote:OK, they haven't replied to me yet. I gonna keep sending them emails until they notice me~
Actually, anyone feel the COL is high like I do?comparing with the tuition........


My bedroom costs me 500/mo including utilities and internet. I live on Quincy (down the road from Mason). You can find something nice.

xjlore
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby xjlore » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:35 pm

...
Last edited by xjlore on Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”