George Mason 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tarp

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby tarp » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:59 am

BigFatPanda, I will answer all your questions here.

1. What were you charged with that you could face up to 40 years in jail?

3 Counts of Abduction, 1 Count of Conspiracy, 3 Counts of Assault & Battery, 1 Count of Trespassing

You can read more about the dismissal at http://fredericksburg.com/News/Web/2009 ... g_case_st1

2. On what basis or for what articulated reasons, that even after you've explained your actions and charges dismissed against you, GMU still deny your request for readmission? Being conservative does not mean being unreasonable.

GMUSL states that it was because I failed to formally notify them of the charges, thus I was in violation of their continuing duty to disclose, which is situated in fine print on the last page of their application for admission and which doesn't directly address criminal charges, simply stating something to the effect "should any information on this application change you must notify us in writing." The funny thing was I had been open about the criminal charges, discussing them with fellow students, professors, and even administrative staff - I wasn't actively hiding anything, plus my application was 100% true at the time I filled it out. Moreover, another student received a minor criminal charge during the course of 1L year and did not notify the administration until after we discussed my situation, and was told it's not a big deal, being that his criminal charge was traffic-related. The language that requires disclosure does not differentiate between misdemeanors and felonies, and the GMUSL administration's application of this was arbitrary.

3. Lastly, was your dismissal with or without prejudice? or was it part of the settlement that you agree to (For example, in exchange for dismissal, you are required to leave the state)?

I said in my last post that the judge issued JMOL (Judgment as a Matter of Law) in my favor in the course of a jury trial, which means there was no plea bargain, no "settlement" (only exists in civil cases), etc. It was a dismissal with prejudice. The prosecutor stormed out of the courtroom in tears because she really was that deluded.

"Just because some Virginian are as such, you can't reasonably characterize Virginians in general as such. Further, lets not forget that the last two governors and its current senators are rather progressive democrats.'

Progressive by who's definition? I have met Tim Kaine, and I disagree with that characterization. Perhaps by Virginia standards, but a "progressive", for me, is someone who champions the right to gay marriage, increased access to reproductive health care, reduced incarceration, legalization of controlled substances like marijuana, etc.

Look, I have lived in Virginia for 26 years and I have traveled extensively throughout all parts of the state, from Blacksburg to Virginia Beach to Alexandria and everything in between. MY opinion on the state is that it is filled with backwards, closed-minded people for the most part. Obviously I agree that some Virginians are not backwards or closed-minded - I am from Virginia, and I have family and friends there, none of whom fit that definition. I am talking about the vast majority of people in that state, especially in parts outside of Northern Virginia and the major college towns and larger cities. Don't try to tell me that Dinwiddie County is some bastion of intelligence and progressive thought. Most of Virginia is still stuck in the 19th century with poor race relations, unwavering belief in extremist and hateful southern forms of Protestantism, and a high level of prejudice coupled with distrust for neighbors. I have been all over this country and I am sad to say that most of the southeast, Virginia included, has serious social problems. The Northeast, despite its several crime-filled cities, has people who are more open-minded, more accepting and overall more fun. In Philadelphia I can go to a bar and end up talking to half a dozen people and having a great time. In Virginia people tend to bottle up.

"Further, regarding speeding in Virginia, it is summon releasable---if i pull you over for speeding, i will write you a summon where you have two options...."

Look up the law on "reckless driving" in Virginia - a misdemeanor offense where the offender can be released on summons OR taken to jail, and where speeding 20 miles per hour over the speed limit or traveling 80 miles per hour or higher is "prima facie" evidence of reckless driving. On several Virginia Interstate highways, 70 mph is the posted limit, thus traveling 10 mph over (80 mph) is automatically prima facie evidence of reckless driving. If you get one of these tickets, you MUST appear in court. Go sit in Fairfax County General District Court and watch, there is an endless parade of people from MD, NY, NJ, NC, etc. who had to travel back to Virginia and show up in court because they dared to go 15 mph over the limit (posted speed limit is 65 on I-95, thus going 15 over is "reckless"). They are facing a permanent criminal charge on their record, undoubtedly affecting future employment opportunities, because they did what in ALL other states would be considered a civil speeding citation.

If you don't believe me, look it up. I don't have time to cite the statutes, I am simply speaking from prior knowledge and the experience of living in Virginia for 25+ years and knowing dozens of people who have received such tickets (criminal charges) in the past. Again, the only state with such a practice, much as it is the state which executes more people per capita than even Texas, the only state that bans radar detectors, the only state other than Utah where a titty bar is illegal, amongst many other great distinctions that I am sure have something to do with being the home of wingnuts like Pat Robertson and the late Jerry Falwell.

"May the board of bar examiners of Pennsylvania have mercy on your legal soul."

Well... considering that I have a clean criminal record, a perfect driving record, a credit score above 720, am currently in the top 5% of my class at Drexel, am taking part in a highly selective clinical experience next fall, and have extensive volunteer/pro-bono experience, I sure hope they will take mercy on me.

"In conclusion, my advice to anyone who read Tarp's post to reserve doubts about his sweeping generalizations for Virginia and GMU given his obvious biase. (sic)"

And what, pray tell, are your credentials? How many years have you lived in Virginia? What parts of Virginia have you been to? Did you attend GMUSL? Have you ever attended any law school? (I'll assume the answer is no, since you didn't know that judgment as a matter of law is always a dismissal with prejudice).

I have to go study for moot court arguments. Good luck to all the future law school students on the board.

Modian

Postby Modian » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:33 pm

Visited Mason last week, got one of those reckless driving tickets......I'm an out of stater too.

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:20 pm

I will answer this tomorrow night because my response was erased by this forum when they log me out.

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:18 am

Prosecutor Teresa Polinske said that the child’s mother, Carianne McHale, had gotten Borowski and another man to assist her in a violent abduction. Borowski and McHale are engaged and recently had a child together.

Prosecutorial stupidity and judicial dismissal aside, on the basis of the fact that you were arrested and charged, i am assuming that you did physically get involve in your wife's attempt to retrieve her child? what were u thinking? What you did was completely stupid. Why would you resort to means that is outside the bound of court system when you are fully aware of the means to obtain legal guardianship within the system of the court? Especially in view of the fact that you're being train to deal this kind of affairs through a civil process without getting physical.

So kids, the lesson here is: no candy from strangers and don't do anything stupid like assisting someone in actions that is outside the bound of the court system; if you can't resist that urge to do so, please put it in writing to inform your law school as soon as possible.

Progressive by who's definition? I have met Tim Kaine, and I disagree with that characterization. Perhaps by Virginia standards, but a "progressive", for me, is someone who champions the right to gay marriage, increased access to reproductive health care, reduced incarceration, legalization of controlled substances like marijuana, etc.

Your definition sounds like the definition for a liberal. However, as we all know, a progessive is not necessarily a liberal. Rather, a more reasonable definition is as follow:
a progessive is a reasonable person who analyzes current events as a function of progression of time to make an informed decision; a person who does not use the bible or a strict interpretation of the constitution with callous disregard of basic human rights. For example, Tim Kaine is a progressive because despite his conservative belief in the preservation of traditional marriage as union between a man and a woman, he also recognizes that LGBT are human who's entitle to the same basic human rights and thus advocate for legal protection of these human beings. Jim Webb is a progressive because despite the literal interpreation of the second amendment right to bear arm, he recognizes the fact that unregulated right to bear arm (which is a contributory cause of Virginia tech massacre) will only end in disaster and that it is incumbent upon the Federal Govt. to at least put in some safe regards; thus, the second amendment is not absoulte. Heck, even Strom Thurman is a progressive because he recognizes the errors of his way and the fact that African Americans are not 2/3 of a human. Therefore, even a conservative can be a progressive as long as they do not live in the past and isolate themselves from the progression of time.

Look, I have lived in Virginia for 26 years and I have traveled extensively throughout all parts of the state, from Blacksburg to Virginia Beach to Alexandria and everything in between. MY opinion on the state is that it is filled with backwards, closed-minded people for the most part. Obviously I agree that some Virginians are not backwards or closed-minded - I am from Virginia, and I have family and friends there, none of whom fit that definition. I am talking about the vast majority of people in that state, especially in parts outside of Northern Virginia and the major college towns and larger cities. Don't try to tell me that Dinwiddie County is some bastion of intelligence and progressive thought. Most of Virginia is still stuck in the 19th century with poor race relations, unwavering belief in extremist and hateful southern forms of Protestantism, and a high level of prejudice coupled with distrust for neighbors. I have been all over this country and I am sad to say that most of the southeast, Virginia included, has serious social problems. The Northeast, despite its several crime-filled cities, has people who are more open-minded, more accepting and overall more fun. In Philadelphia I can go to a bar and end up talking to half a dozen people and having a great time. In Virginia people tend to bottle up.

If you read my post carefully, i did not suggest there is no red neck in Virginia. I am only suggesting that an electorate who selected decent and reasonable individuals such as Tim Kaine and Jim Webb (which requires a majority of them to vote in favor) might not be as closed minded as you are suggesting.

The Northeast, despite its several crime-filled cities, has people who are more open-minded, more accepting and overall more fun. In Philadelphia I can go to a bar and end up talking to half a dozen people and having a great time.

If i remember correctly from my trip through Penn, there are plenty of hill billies and rednecks in Pennsylvania who are just as closed mined as some Virginians.

Look up the law on "reckless driving" in Virginia - a misdemeanor offense where the offender can be released on summons OR taken to jail, and where speeding 20 miles per hour over the speed limit or traveling 80 miles per hour or higher is "prima facie" evidence of reckless driving. On several Virginia Interstate highways, 70 mph is the posted limit, thus traveling 10 mph over (80 mph) is automatically prima facie evidence of reckless driving. If you get one of these tickets, you MUST appear in court. Go sit in Fairfax County General District Court and watch, there is an endless parade of people from MD, NY, NJ, NC, etc. who had to travel back to Virginia and show up in court because they dared to go 15 mph over the limit (posted speed limit is 65 on I-95, thus going 15 over is "reckless"). They are facing a permanent criminal charge on their record, undoubtedly affecting future employment opportunities, because they did what in ALL other states would be considered a civil speeding citation.

If you don't believe me, look it up. I don't have time to cite the statutes, I am simply speaking from prior knowledge and the experience of living in Virginia for 25+ years and knowing dozens of people who have received such tickets (criminal charges) in the past. Again, the only state with such a practice, much as it is the state which executes more people per capita than even Texas, the only state that bans radar detectors, the only state other than Utah where a titty bar is illegal, amongst many other great distinctions that I am sure have something to do with being the home of wingnuts like Pat Robertson and the late Jerry Falwell.

Nowhere in my post can be interpret to mean "if you don't believe me" and i did look it up various time over the last three years (the most recent being the link i posted).
And i am simply speaking from my experience of writing summons citing them for traffic violation such as speeding where i clearly told them, in full view of an experienced training officer, that he/she has the right to waive his appearence in court by prepaying the summon.

To further support my case, i was stupid enough to run a 38 mile in a 25 mile zone and was charged as such by a Fairfax City officer. I did not identify myself as a FFX CO and thus did not ask for his professional courtesy. As a result, he informed me that i can prepay the summon and thus waive the right to appear in court. I did so by the deadline as set forth on the summon (08/2009) and as of today, i have not had a sheriff at my door serving me with a notice to appear in court.

Also, i assisted an officer in charging an out of state driver who was also release on a summon but was require to appear in a VA court despite the fact that he has to fly in from another state. This is because the driver in question was not only speeding, but he ran a red light and cause a non-fatal accident with not one but two other vehicles. Such reckless endangerment of others warranted a different class of misdemeanor with corresponding level of punishment that justly and legally assign the driver the responsibility he/she must bear because of his/her action.

Lastly, have you ever seen the severity of property damage and injury to others by going 15 miles over the speed limit on a highway? Also, the fact that misdemeanors are classified into different classes should at least imply to you that there are varying degree of punishment associated with each class. If you are required to fly in from out of state to appear in court, then that usually means in addition to speeding:
1. you did something incredible dangerous like talking on a cell phone and/or texting
2. cutting other vehicles or failure to obey standard traffic rules such as signaling when changing lane
3. or your actions resulted in actual injury and property damage.

Thus, i merely stated, from facts and my own experience as well as experiences of veteran Virginia police officers that if you speed in the state of Virginia, then be prepare to face the consequences base on the severity of the injury your action has caused others (just like any other state). By overgeneralizing misdemeanor without describing the different levels of punishment associated thereof and by smacking your opinion into the middle of it, you are not presenting the whole fact and the fact alone. (For anyone interested, see --LinkRemoved--). As a result, i felt compelled to defend the honor of this state.

Well... considering that I have a clean criminal record, a perfect driving record, a credit score above 720, am currently in the top 5% of my class at Drexel, am taking part in a highly selective clinical experience next fall, and have extensive volunteer/pro-bono experience, I sure hope they will take mercy on me.

Got any more to brag about? Like how hot your wife is and how awesome Drexel is? I am not sure how kindly the bar examiners would look upon your extra-legal actions you took to resolve a legal matter.

And what, pray tell, are your credentials? How many years have you lived in Virginia? What parts of Virginia have you been to? Did you attend GMUSL? Have you ever attended any law school? (I'll assume the answer is no, since you didn't know that judgment as a matter of law is always a dismissal with prejudice).

1. My credentials are sufficient to support the assertions i had made above.
2. four years.
3. Northern VA (DC metro region).
4. No
5. No and your assumption is correct.

Through your fine example, no wonder people see lawyers as dochebags.

To all future law students on the board, as i've said before, when someone mix half-facts with biase and with vendatta against a school and the state said school is in, thats ground for reasonable doubt of the veracity of his/her assertions.

ViIIager

Postby ViIIager » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:33 am

What's funny is that if you consider Virginia ultra-conservative, and make a conclusion that because the state is conservative, its law schools must therefore be conservative, you get whacked in the face with William & Mary, UVA, etc. which are clearly the opposite.

I agree that Kaine is far less left-wing than Pelosi, Reid, or the other Dems. He's a pro-life Democrat (waaaaaaaahat?) but again, assuming that a governor is representative of a state's culture is misleading (could all Alaskans really be that stupid?). Again, a generalization about the state is just silly when it comes to whether Mason is a good law school.

For the record, the rednecks and hillbillies in Virginia are salt of the earth kinda folks who would give the clothes off their back if you needed it. I'd rather live with the toothless than hang out with the arrogant hipsters in other metropolitan places. Luckily, Mason and other VA schools provide their graduates the opportunity to create a strong career in the city and in the sticks, so again, that's a good thing for incoming Mason students.

rockstar4488

Postby rockstar4488 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:58 am

As an accepted student, I know I have similar concerns about some of the things tarp mentioned. I do, however, believe that GMULS has a good reputation independent of its undergrad program. I think the same can be said for WCL/AU Undergrad.

JasonCG

Postby JasonCG » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:14 am

No matter where you go to law school, there is going to be a healthy level of intellectual diversity. I am a Libertarian, and I applied to Berkeley. Just because the school has a reputation for its very different political ideology doesn't mean I can't learn the law there. It doesn't mean I can't have my own view-point. Without people around to challenge your ideas, how can you ever fully develop them? It is especially valuable in the university setting, because the exchange of ideas is central to the mission of most schools.

So to anyone who is worried about the "Conservative bend" at GMU, I invite you to ask yourself why it even matters. If you can't stand to be around people who think differently, than maybe you aren't as tolerant as you would have others believe. If you are worried about being manipulated by evil Right-wing professors, maybe you aren't as secure in your beliefs as you thought.

From my personal experience of living in Arlington for the past 4 years, I can say that it is just as "Liberal" as anywhere else I have lived... and I was raised in San Francisco, and before moving here I lived in Miami for 13 years. I am fairly certain that the "Liberal" political view-point will be fairly represented at GMU.

tarp

Postby tarp » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:08 pm

I'm not going to respond to BigFatPanda's posts anymore because 1) they are off topic, 2) I don't enjoy speaking to judgmental people who like to make personal attacks on online forums, and 3) he sounds like a cop since he believes the prosecutor's version of the events regardless of the defendant being acquitted, and as a general policy, I don't speak with pigs.

Back to the topic: Arlington is the most liberal part of Virginia. Law schools, even in conservative states, generally have a liberal slant, as do most academic institutions. There are few exceptions, and GMU is one of them. If you are an apolitical person and don't mind being subjected to some very interesting things that you won't find at other law schools (such as the Austrian school of economics, and a lot of libertarian free-market ideology) as well as some very stomach-churning things (half of your classmates fawning over a bobblehead doll of Justice Scalia), then by all means go to GMU. I already took several economics courses as an undergraduate at GMU, so I already was exposed to the Austrian school and read books by Milton Friedman, Lugwig Von Mises, and others. Nothing they taught me in Economic Foundations in 1L year at GMUSL was new to me.

Don't expect the professors to talk about social justice. Your Property professor will not spend a huge amount of time talking about Shelly v. Kraemer or Matthew v. Bay Head. Many of the casebooks are less popular ones with an economic slant to them, filled with references to the Coase theorem, the Learned Hand formula, and opinions by Judge Posner. For example, the Torts book by Epstein is totally slanted towards law and economics. The entire school's curriculum is built around the concept that questions of law can be decided by analyzing them within an economic framework and selecting the outcome that results in the greatest increase of wealth to society. A sort of laissez-faire, utilitarian view of jurisprudence. Certainly very interesting stuff, and perhaps with merit, but I'm not sure that every casebook and course needs to analyze law within this framework.

To the poster who got a reckless driving ticket when visiting Mason Law: if you have a good driving record, request a copy from the DMV in your state and take it with you to court; plead not guilty and tell the judge the following (if it is true): you are positive you couldn't have been traveling that fast, and you were visiting GMUSL and were stressed out due to the tough decision of which law school to attend, so you are unsure of the actual speed you were traveling. Show your good driving record, and the judge will likely reduce the charge to speeding and slap you with a $100 fine. This is NOT legal advice and I am NOT a lawyer (yet). Sucks that you have to go back to VA to go to court, but that's how these reckless driving (read: speeding more than 20 mph over the limit in VA, or 80+ mph regardless of speed limit) tickets are. Also don't make the mistake I did due to my ignorance of the policy - check all your law school applications and see which ones include a continuing duty to inform of any criminal charges, and inform them all promptly that you have been criminally charged with "reckless driving"; you may want to include a copy of the VA statute along with a brief explanation that in VA, reckless driving includes elements that are not found in all other states.

Check out http://www.srislawyer.com/attorneys/for ... lynchburg/
"For most people, it is hard to comprehend that what is normally considered a serious traffic offense at worst in most states is a criminal act in Virginia...."

pja123

Postby pja123 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:14 pm

I applied to GMU for their part-time program, but haven't received a decision yet. Does anyone know when final decisions will be sent out?

rockstar4488

Postby rockstar4488 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:12 pm

Applied PT 3/16
Application Complete (given access to online status checker) 3/22
Accepted by phone 4/16, snail received not long after

No email acceptance and no mention of a decision having been made on the online status checker... It does say that "If you have not received your decision in the mail within four weeks, please feel free to contact us."

pja123

Postby pja123 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:20 pm

I e-mailed asking about when they plan to send out decisions and was told, "I can't speak to your application specifically, but I know that some, but not all, students in the same applicant pool have started to receive decisions from the Admissions Committee."

The "but not all" aspect of the response worries me.

Don't most schools send out decisions in April? This can't go on into May, can it?

texasforever

Postby texasforever » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:54 pm

anyone going to start a facebook group for class of 2013?

BeccaBaby13

Postby BeccaBaby13 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:39 pm

Have any admitted students received word from the admissions office this week about scholarship offers? I talked to the dean of admissions and she told me they planned to this week extend more offers in the $5,000-8,000 range. :?:

SummerLaw

Postby SummerLaw » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:49 am

I haven't heard anything about scholarships - Becca, do you know what the numbers were in the past years for the 5-8k range?

azb

Postby azb » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:43 am

The scholarship offers come from Admission or Financial Aid office? I was accepted late in december, have not heard anything about scholarship, but got the financial aid package. So, its safe for me to assume no scholarship from GMU?

sunnygirl

Postby sunnygirl » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:30 am

yeah, I asked Alison as well. But it seems that all decision had been made and I couldn't get anything in this round. Guess I am done with the scholarship issue.Maybe some of you may get some scholarship offers, but not many people will get. Their hands are really tight.

vijemi

Postby vijemi » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:06 pm

also got a response today and no luck with the scholarships, doesn't look like I'm going to enroll. sucks because I am going to visit the area this weekend, guess I'll spend more time doing touristy stuff rather than look around the campus and search for housing.

mmiracle

Postby mmiracle » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:35 pm

please everyone who doesn't want to attend, withdrawal! I'm on the waitlist and really want to attend! they said they are already over-seated (which I guess happened last year) so please withdrawal! a little help?

BeccaBaby13

Postby BeccaBaby13 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:36 pm

SummerLaw wrote:I haven't heard anything about scholarships - Becca, do you know what the numbers were in the past years for the 5-8k range?

I don't know about the numbers from past years, but I do know that $5,000-8,000 is usually the most common scholarship amounts they give. Every dollar will help as far as I am concerned. I have emailed Alison again today to see if their office has finished giving out offers. For those who emailed/called, did she give you the impression they gave out all the money they had available this week already?

rockstar4488

Postby rockstar4488 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:53 pm

I think it is going to be GMUSL (PT) for me. Anyone interested in having some kind of meetup?

BeccaBaby13

Postby BeccaBaby13 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:12 pm

Has anyone started to look for housing?

I am coming from Arizona so I am trying to *hopefully* get a place next to a metro stop, but I was wondering if anyone knew of places I should look, and also places I shouldn't (any place that isn't safe, etc.).

I am hoping to find a place where I can rent a room and I would like to keep the rent under $1000 ($700-850 would be ideal including utilities). Are there current GMUSL students who are looking for roommates or know of someone who is? PM me and let me know! Thanks! I could use all the help I can get!

vijemi

Postby vijemi » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:18 pm

mmiracle wrote:please everyone who doesn't want to attend, withdrawal! I'm on the waitlist and really want to attend! they said they are already over-seated (which I guess happened last year) so please withdrawal! a little help?

After my visit this weekend (assuming nothing amazing happens) I'll withdraw, hopefully one of you waiting gets it. I'll post here when I actually do withdraw.

ewflay

Postby ewflay » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:16 pm

BeccaBaby13 wrote:Has anyone started to look for housing?

I am coming from Arizona so I am trying to *hopefully* get a place next to a metro stop, but I was wondering if anyone knew of places I should look, and also places I shouldn't (any place that isn't safe, etc.).

I am hoping to find a place where I can rent a room and I would like to keep the rent under $1000 ($700-850 would be ideal including utilities). Are there current GMUSL students who are looking for roommates or know of someone who is? PM me and let me know! Thanks! I could use all the help I can get!

The school is about three blocks from the Virginia Square metro, and housing along the metro line is more expensive. The orange line runs east/west, so, as a general rule of thumb, the closer you live to the school along the north/south axis from Courthouse to Ballston the more expensive your housing.

Living in an apartment in Courthouse, Clarendon, Virginia Square, or Ballston right along the orange line (literally along the line in Virginia Square and Ballston – the train passes right under Fairfax Drive) will be the most expensive. A 1 BR is minimum 1600, and a 2 BR 2 BA will be 2300-2800. The one exception could be the garden apartments three blocks south of the school on Monroe St.; I think they are income-restricted but am not sure. They could be worth looking into.

Here are four other decent options if right along the metro is too pricey (pulled from some of my earlier posts):

Cherrydale is a neighborhood more or less directly northwest of the school. There are a cluster of apartments on Lee Highway where it splits from Old Dominion. Example: a 1 BR apartment at, say, Horizons (http://www.horizon-apartments.com) will cost 1300-1400. 2 BR 2 BA apartments are 1600-1800.

Westover is roughly the area around Washington Blvd and Patrick Henry Dr, about two miles west of the law school. It's about halfway in between Ballston and East Falls Church metros. Example: a 1 BR at Westover Apartments is advertised at 975 (--LinkRemoved--).

Columbia Pike is a main road that runs east/west about two miles south of Fairfax Drive. I believe the ART 41 bus goes from Columbia Pike past the school and the ART 75 bus goes to Ballston metro. Example: a 1 BR at Columbia Park (--LinkRemoved--) costs 1100-1200, a 2 BR 2 BA is 1300-1600.

Vienna and Dunn Loring are the last two stops on the orange line. They are, respectively, five and four stops from Virginia Square. Example: a 1 BR at Regent’s Park is 1300-1500 (--LinkRemoved--). I really don’t know much about housing out this way – maybe someone who does can chime in?

Hope that helps some; let me know if you have more questions!

rockstar4488

Postby rockstar4488 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:57 pm

I'd also like to point out, that GMUSL, being metro accessible, lets you have a relatively mild commute from anywhere near a metro station. So don't limit your search to just VA.

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:29 pm

You could also use craigslist and find randoms to live with. I live near the Ballston metro for <$600/mo in a decent enough place. I had an option literally 2 blocks from the Clarendon metro for $900.

Depends on how much you can tolerate roommates and how open you are to living with random internet people. To me, saving around $800/mo as compared to the last place i lived was totally worth it. It's nice having a healthy savings account.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”