George Mason 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
truthypants

Re: George Mason 2010

Postby truthypants » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:23 pm

southerngrace wrote:
truthypants wrote:hey guys, just thought i'd post the latest career center stats for Mason. This is the school's most current OCI stats (taken from a handout from the career service's lecture on OCI):

-Most students don't get their jobs through fall recruiting (OCI, resume collections, off-campus programs)
-Largest firms (700+) median number of offers dropped from 30 in 2007 to 18.5 in 2008 to 8 in 2009
-In Fall 2009, only 36.4% of callback interviews resulted in an offer. (2008: 46.6%; 2007: 60%+)
-Only 3% of firms recruited for 3L students in 2009 (2008: 25%; 2007 42%)

Hope that info is helpful...

That's not good. I wonder if they are going to drop in ranking this year.

It will be interesting to see. The numbers for the class this year were really good, though, so it is possible Mason might move up in the rankings based on the quality of the students (I think the gpa for this year's class was over 3.7? something high, I know that..

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:26 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49285543@N07/

:(

to 42

not that i really care about the ranking 8)

truthypants

Postby truthypants » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:46 pm

BigFatPanda wrote:http://www.flickr.com/photos/49285543@N07/

to 42

Ouch..are those legit? Thanks for the leak.

BeccaBaby13

Postby BeccaBaby13 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:08 pm

truthypants wrote:
BigFatPanda wrote:http://www.flickr.com/photos/49285543@N07/

to 42

Ouch..are those legit? Thanks for the leak.

I really consider it basically no change for GMU. However, as a former ASU undergrad and familiar with the law school program I am in utter disbelief that they jumped all the way to 38th. That makes no sense especially because AZ is in some huge budget issues right now and job prospects for lawyers aren't very good. I am very surpised. I am still glad though that I decided to not apply there...I had enough of all of ASU's B.S. for 4 years thank you very much.

lawlife2010

Postby lawlife2010 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:44 am

I loved this school but had to withdraw due to money and a great money offer at a school just as strong, if not stronger.

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:43 pm

lawlife2010 wrote:I loved this school but had to withdraw due to money and a great money offer at a school just as strong, if not stronger.

IU-Bloomington ??

lawlife2010

Postby lawlife2010 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:17 pm

ram jam wrote:
lawlife2010 wrote:I loved this school but had to withdraw due to money and a great money offer at a school just as strong, if not stronger.

IU-Bloomington ??

No, UC Davis

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:24 am

Just put down my deposit. Barring some crazy waitlist action, I'll be at Mason in the fall!

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:28 am

rockthelaw wrote:Just put down my deposit. Barring some crazy waitlist action, I'll be at Mason in the fall!

What factored into your decision to turn down Colorado? Are you Va resident?

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:40 am

ram jam wrote:
rockthelaw wrote:Just put down my deposit. Barring some crazy waitlist action, I'll be at Mason in the fall!

Here's my breakdown:

Tuition: Equal. I'm a VA resident, so GMU is inexpensive for me. Got a scholarship to CU, so with 2nd and 3rd year in-state out there, there is no difference in the amount of debt I'd have to assume.
Ranking: Fairly similar. Both have fluctuated in the 30s/40s over the past few years.
Reputation: Similar, but both have strong reputations in their respective markets, so the decision comes down to...
Short and longterm goals: I want to settle down on the east coast, and while I'm sure I could work for a few years in Denver and then move back, Mason would allow me to network and gain contacts more easily in my desired market., Plus, I already live right down the street from Mason, so I don't have to move my life halfway across the country.

I am, however, having a really hard time turning my back on the beautiful scenery, more relaxed lifestyle, and opportunity for a big life change. But, practically speaking, this decision makes sense for me. I do love the mountains and Boulder itself, and since their deposit deadline is in 2 weeks, maybe my mind will explode and I'll change my plans.

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:00 pm

rockthelaw wrote:
ram jam wrote:

Here's my breakdown:

Tuition: Equal. I'm a VA resident, so GMU is inexpensive for me. Got a scholarship to CU, so with 2nd and 3rd year in-state out there, there is no difference in the amount of debt I'd have to assume.
Ranking: Fairly similar. Both have fluctuated in the 30s/40s over the past few years.
Reputation: Similar, but both have strong reputations in their respective markets, so the decision comes down to...
Short and longterm goals: I want to settle down on the east coast, and while I'm sure I could work for a few years in Denver and then move back, Mason would allow me to network and gain contacts more easily in my desired market., Plus, I already live right down the street from Mason, so I don't have to move my life halfway across the country.

I am, however, having a really hard time turning my back on the beautiful scenery, more relaxed lifestyle, and opportunity for a big life change. But, practically speaking, this decision makes sense for me. I do love the mountains and Boulder itself, and since their deposit deadline is in 2 weeks, maybe my mind will explode and I'll change my plans.

If I was a Va resident, I would have made the same decision as you. DC is the better legal market, etc. You are fortunate to live in a state with a good legal market and top law schools, I live in Florida with high unemployment, less than great law schools, not to mention florida is not home to even 1 NLJ250 firms. But sticker at Mason loses out to dirt cheap in-state Florida tuition. Good luck!

bits6884

Postby bits6884 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:29 pm

Barring an acceptance off of the waitlist at Boston College-which seems unlikely, I am going to be at GMU in the fall, too!

I went to the open house last weekend and loved the facilites and the neighborhood. I was also impressed with their alumni panel. Though most are a few years out, all the alumni seemed really happy with their experience at DC (probably why they were asked to take part) and all had jobs in areas that interest me.

See you in the fall!

JasonCG

Postby JasonCG » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:16 pm

+1

tarp

Postby tarp » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:47 am

Prepare to be taught Legal Writing by clueless 3L's, and brainwashed with ultra-conservative economic theory in your Contracts class while barely learning any substantive law (which you will have to cram from a commercial outline in order to pass your finals). And living in Virginia just plain sucks anyway, unless you like hanging out in lame bars that play edited pop-rap and are filled with boring, socially retarded people. In fact the whole D.C. area pretty much sucks. Trust me, I grew up there, and just about any other major east coast city has way more to offer, unless you enjoy sucking the government's big, greasy schlong. If you're staying in D.C., GW or Georgetown would be a much better choice anyway, because you'll have an actual chance of landing a job that pays more than $50k a year.

- A former Mason student (who was in the top 1/3 of his class while he was there).

klussy

Postby klussy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:55 am

tarp wrote:Prepare to be taught Legal Writing by clueless 3L's, and brainwashed with ultra-conservative economic theory in your Contracts class while barely learning any substantive law (which you will have to cram from a commercial outline in order to pass your finals). And living in Virginia just plain sucks anyway, unless you like hanging out in lame bars that play edited pop-rap and are filled with boring, socially retarded people. In fact the whole D.C. area pretty much sucks. Trust me, I grew up there, and just about any other major east coast city has way more to offer, unless you enjoy sucking the government's big, greasy schlong. If you're staying in D.C., GW or Georgetown would be a much better choice anyway, because you'll have an actual chance of landing a job that pays more than $50k a year.

- A former Mason student (who was in the top 1/3 of his class while he was there).

I have heard some disturbing things about GMU professors: known plagiarists, unwanted advances on females students, etc. I have decided against GMU.

ViIIager

Postby ViIIager » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:03 pm

tarp wrote:Prepare to be taught Legal Writing by clueless 3L's, and brainwashed with ultra-conservative economic theory in your Contracts class while barely learning any substantive law (which you will have to cram from a commercial outline in order to pass your finals). And living in Virginia just plain sucks anyway, unless you like hanging out in lame bars that play edited pop-rap and are filled with boring, socially retarded people. In fact the whole D.C. area pretty much sucks. Trust me, I grew up there, and just about any other major east coast city has way more to offer, unless you enjoy sucking the government's big, greasy schlong. If you're staying in D.C., GW or Georgetown would be a much better choice anyway, because you'll have an actual chance of landing a job that pays more than $50k a year.

That definitely helped.

So where'd you get a job with your top 1/3rd resume?

texasforever

Postby texasforever » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:11 pm

This is 100% composition fallacy, just beacuse 'you' had a bad experience doesn't mean that Mason is a terrible school. The school does have a more conservative slant, but it is in Virginia, and thus still the south. The bars that I went to in Virginia were awesome because of the people that I went with, not the music. I've never heard of anyone complain about the music in a bar because usually people are too busy getting drunk and talking to people to notice the music.

I would rather sacrafice salary and have a great time with great friends at Mason than become a liberal asshole who will hate my classmates in DC. The money will come eventually, people on this board can't ever seem to realize that.

bits6884

Postby bits6884 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:28 pm

I understand that this is a board to express opinions, but its disappointing to read comments like the one posted above about how much people hate GMU only a day after people put their deposits down.

At this point, many people have at least $500 invested in George Mason. Personally, I'm really excited that I've made my decision and the negativity and bad attitude of others just comes off as bitter and whiny.

Maybe this kind of harsh assesment of George Mason would have been appreciated on say, any day before April 15th. But posting it on April 16th is just raining on other people's parades.

ViIIager

Postby ViIIager » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:42 pm

Ooooooh, now I remember you. Had to search your posts to find where I had seen your name before. You're the clown who hated GMU and switched to Drexel to start law school over as a 1L. I'm sure getting kicked out of GMU by the Dean while facing 40+ years of prison time helped with that decision.

Thanks for visiting us on this thread again. Hope your girlfriend (now wife) isn't in jail!

rockstar4488

Postby rockstar4488 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:02 pm

Just got a call from the admissions rep. Packet comes Wednesday!

rockthelaw

Postby rockthelaw » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:25 pm

ViIIager wrote:

Ooooooh, now I remember you. Had to search your posts to find where I had seen your name before. You're the clown who hated GMU and switched to Drexel to start law school over as a 1L. I'm sure getting kicked out of GMU by the Dean while facing 40+ years of prison time helped with that decision.

Thanks for visiting us on this thread again. Hope your girlfriend (now wife) isn't in jail!

Haha, yeah, I knew that username sounded familiar. Thanks for doing the research, ViIIager.

ViIIager

Postby ViIIager » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:49 am

rockthelaw wrote:Haha, yeah, I knew that username sounded familiar. Thanks for doing the research, ViIIager.

There are some valid concerns people could have, Klussy's among them, but I'm never a fan of incredibly biased, my-situation-sucks-so-I'll-generalize-about-the-institution posts.

Do I have some reservations about attending GMU? Sure I do. I won't be graduating in the top 10%, or even the top 25%, simply due to other time obligations; GMU's placements aren't usually as strong as a UVA, GWU, or Gtown; and so on.

That said, I'm damned stoked to be attending this fall. I love Virginia, I get to keep my well-paying job, my family doesn't have to move, the school is well-ranked, I love the inclusion of economics in the program, the school has pretty good gov't placement, I know some of the professors socially from living in the area, and after four years of part-time law school I'll have a credential that's portable and applicable in every facet of my career for the rest of my life. I got accepted into higher ranked schools, but none of them offered the breadth of advantages that I just listed off the top of my head.

Anyway, congrats to everyone here that's attending Mason this fall, and best wishes to everyone attending somewhere else!

DoktorZaius

Postby DoktorZaius » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:10 pm

ViIIager wrote:Ooooooh, now I remember you. Had to search your posts to find where I had seen your name before. You're the clown who hated GMU and switched to Drexel to start law school over as a 1L. I'm sure getting kicked out of GMU by the Dean while facing 40+ years of prison time helped with that decision.

This was unexpectedly epic.

Non-sequitur, but I also sent in my $500 earlier on Thursday.

tarp

Postby tarp » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:25 pm

Villager, if you wish to call me a clown it only reflects poorly on yourself. My comments regarding the educational experience at Mason may be valuable to some people because I am one of the few people to have spent some time at Mason and at another law school (Drexel) so I can draw comparisons between the two programs.

Obviously you are the type of person who has never faced any adversity in your life. Your holier-than-thou attitude reflects poorly on you. Since you chose to pass judgment on the fact that I was charged with crimes in the past, I will clarify a few things here. The charges arose from a domestic dispute with the grandparents over the custody of my wife's son (my stepson). The assistant district attorney took things into her own hands, over the objections of the grandparents who originally called the police. After a year under indictment, I was acquitted of all criminal charges; the judge granted my motion to dismiss (JMOL) after the prosecution finished presenting its case in a jury trial. The charges against my wife and my best friend were also dismissed.

Virginia has some very conservative counties where the sheriff, district attorney, and the judges are all in cahoots; they can level false charges and string you along as a defendant for a very long time with no repercussions. The local attorneys do not fight the system because they make money off it.

George Mason University kicked me out halfway through my 1L spring semester due to the criminal charges, causing me to lose $9,000 of tuition from my first completed semester, and causing an enormous setback after I worked hard to succeed at the school. I was in the top 1/3 of my class despite the stress of being falsely arrested and indicted, and facing over 40 years of prison time. When I was acquitted, I asked George Mason to readmit me because I didn't want to duplicate the work of taking Torts, Property, Contracts, and Legal Writing at a new school. They denied me, but Drexel Law accepted me with open arms and granted me a $90,000 scholarship. I am in the top 5% of my class at Drexel, and I can speak from first-hand experience that the education at Drexel is far superior than at Mason Law. You may question my objectivity but the facts speak for themselves. At Mason, the Legal Writing classes are taught in large sections, then in smaller break-out sessions with 3L's doing the instruction - the 3L's even grade most of your work. They are not law professors and I would urge GMUSL to spend the extra money to hire additional legal writing professors to teach the students directly; the quality of the education will improve greatly. At Drexel, all legal writing courses are taught by actual law professors, in small sessions.

I have no doubts that Drexel will overtake Mason in the rankings within a decade. The Earle Mack School of Law at Drexel University is a new law school, but as a university, Drexel is far older, more respected, and much higher ranked than George Mason, which isn't even ranked for undergrad (it's the undergrad version of a TTT). In the D.C. area if you tell someone you went to Mason, their response is "oh, so you went to community college for two years then transferred in?" The people in Northern Virginia respect Virginia Tech, UVA, even JMU far more than Mason. D.C. On the other hand, in the Philadelphia area Drexel is highly respected; everyone I've spoken with and mentioned that I am a Drexel student has at least one story about a relative or friend who graduated from Drexel and is now a successful businessman, high-earning engineer, etc. Mason is mostly commuter students who couldn't get into any other school or just chose to remain in NOVA so they could live at home.And I am speaking as a Mason undergraduate alumni who graduated with a B.S. in Public Administration, Honors designation on my diploma, and a minor in Computer Science.

The professors at GMUSL are selected for their conservative leanings by the dean, Daniel Polsby. There IS a litmus test. I will not name specific names, but a Mason professor who is a known plagiarist was personally protected by the Dean and kept on the faculty despite the shocking nature of his plagiarism of law review articles. I have also heard the rumors about sexual advances and other disturbing behavior, but I cannot independently verify them.

Also, you cannot attribute Mason's conservative nature to its location in the state of Virginia. There are plenty of other law schools in the state that are far less rabidly conservative. University of Richmond (great school, highly underrated), William and Mary, UVA, and even Washington and Lee come to mind. All of those schools have far more public interest clinics, externships, and opportunities, and fewer dickwads whose idea of a good time is getting together at a wine bar with other members of the Federalist Society.

Did you know Mason Law is home to the Mercatus Center, a conservative think-tank that fights any form of government regulation? These guys actually argued against a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency rule limiting the amount of arsenic in drinking water.

Also, I apologize to those who already put down deposits at GMUSL and feel unhappy about their decision as a result of my post. The timing of my post had nothing to do with the deposit deadline; as a current law school student I am not even aware of when the deposit deadlines are. The intention of my post was not to make anyone second-guess their decision. You can certainly get an adequate law school education at GMUSL, and if you are an in-state resident with no better offers elsewhere, GMUSL can be a good choice - hell, I made the same choice not too long ago. Yes, you can graduate from GMUSL and find a decent job. Will you be chosen over a Georgetown grad or a GWU grad, or even an American University grad? Probably not, but part of that has to do with GMUSL's ridiculously low grading curve which makes its applicants look bad compared to applicants from other schools. Another thing to keep in mind is that many top GMUSL students do transfer to other area schools after their 1L year because of the job issue. But, again, if you are in-state or got a scholarship, if you can put up with some conservative hyperbole (I was able to stomach it but I didn't enjoy it) and especially if you live in the area and prefer not to relocate, GMUSL is doable, just don't expect the administration to help you out if you should ever have the misfortune of being falsely arrested. The school is very competitive and the atmosphere is not collegial, but you can push through three years, get your degree, and move on. What I am doing is cautioning those who are going to GMUSL solely because it is the highest ranked school they were accepted to, to reconsider because there is a lot more to law school than some arbitrary U.S. News ranking system.

I will also say to Villager, congratulations on your acceptance and I am sure you will do well. Don't discount yourself from being in the top 10% or top 25% - even as a part-time student, you can work hard and achieve that. I have a wife, two kids, and work part-time, and I can do it, and I don't claim to be any smarter than anyone else - law school is all about reading, reading, reading, and thinking - if you study the concepts carefully, you will do fine. My best recommendation is to purchase and use the study aids such as Emanuel outlines. Also, Villager, I know you stated you love Virginia but you should familiarize yourself with some of the extremely unfair laws in the state. It's the only state where driving 10 miles per hour over the speed limit is a misdemeanor criminal charge. Virginia is also home to some of the most brutal prisons in the country (google Red Onion State Prison if you don't believe me). The people in Virginia are also very closed minded, unfriendly and tend to stay in cliques.

If anyone has more questions, please let me know, and I wish the best of luck to anyone who is starting at GMUSL this fall. It's a shame that some people choose to attack me for stating the truth on an online forum, but clearly some people don't want to hear anything negative that stirs up their preconceived notions.

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:28 am

Tarp, on the basis of what you've told us (albeit one-sided), i am curious:
1. What were you charged with that you could face up to 40 years in jail?
2. On what basis or for what articulated reasons, that even after you've explained your actions and charges dismissed against you, GMU still deny your request for readmission? Being conservative does not mean being unreasonable.
3. Lastly, was your dismissal with or without prejudice? or was it part of the settlement that you agree to (For example, in exchange for dismissal, you are required to leave the state)?

While it is entirely possible that sheriff and local DA could be in cohoot with each other, however, given the one-sided nature of your story without GMU's and State of Virginia's side, you can not reasonable expect us to take your words for it.

As for Drexel, it certainly has a reputation in Philly for having solid programs that incorporate internship into an integrated curriculum that maximizes students' opportunities and GMU undergrad certainly has almost no reputation in NOVA. However, how is GMU (barely 70 years old) suppose to compete with UVA, W&M, and Washginton Lee (200+ years) in term of reputation and established network in perhaps the oldest state/colony in the union? Its like pitting juvenile with an adult in a steel cage match. Further, Drexel is a relatively estalished school with peer schools like Widner, Temple, Penn State that are pretty much in the same league. Of course it will have a better reputation, in relative terms.

Also, while GMU is known for its share of right wing nut like Karl Rove and Ken Cuccinelli, but it doesn't make GMU a diploma mill for fanatics the likes of Regent and Liberty University. Because if it is, then Yale could be call the same for its share of nut (John Yoo, John Ashcroft et al.).

While I agree that some Virginian are perhaps the most close minded and conservative people in the US, what state doesn't lack people like that? Just because some Virginian are as such, you can't reasonably characterize Virginians in general as such. Further, lets not forget that the last two governors and its current senators are rather progressive democrats.

Further, regarding speeding in Virginia, it is summon releasable---if i pull you over for speeding, i will write you a summon where you have two options:
1. you can prepaid the fine and forego your right to appear in court, or
2. you can appear in court to appeal.
Either way, there is no automatic jail sentence and there is no physical arrest (legally, if i write you a summon, you are under arrest. However, it is a releasable arrest where i can release you on the spot without ever taking you into a holding facility at a police station). I don't know about other state with respect to misdemeanor speeding; however, i do know if you are guilty of speeding in any state (without other charges that in combination, could rise to felony such as reckless endangerment and vehicular homicide), the consequences are always the same: you are not physically arrested, you are require to pay a fine, you will be given the right to appear in court or the right to waive court appearence, you will have that on your record, and your insurance premium will go up.

see http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/ ... aspeed.htm

Thus, it appears that the "truth" you are posting sounds rather biased and your characterizations about Virginians in general are unreasonable; it makes an excellent one sided rant, but its just that. May the board of bar examiners of Pennsylvania have mercy on your legal soul.

In conclusion, my advice to anyone who read Tarp's post to reserve doubts about his sweeping generalizations for Virginia and GMU given his obvious biase.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”