LSU?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BriaTharen

Re: LSU?

Postby BriaTharen » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:55 pm

0 and 16 wrote:anybody heard 'bout scholarships?

From what I understand, they are going to start sending out scholarship stuff around the end of this month and beginning of next month.

southernboy

Postby southernboy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:34 pm

Just got my acceptance letter today via snail mail!!

p_r

Postby p_r » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:19 pm

I think I'm in. My PAWS account expanded today to include Housing App, Law Course Offerings and other such options.
Stats: 157/3.58

MU2009

Postby MU2009 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:52 pm

So basically LSU's status checker is to just check the PAWS Registration Services sub-menu??

southernboy

Postby southernboy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:55 pm

yeah pretty much. i don't think its intended as a status checker, but it seems to work that way. but yeah, once the registration sub-menu expands to include more than just "registration information" then you should know that you're in

jkh

Postby jkh » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:42 pm

Got in today via snail mail, live in Nevada fwiw.

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:46 pm

In via snail mail, large white envelope. 01-25-10.

Complete in November.

KellyD09

Postby KellyD09 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:01 pm

I haven't received anything in the mail yet... but my PAWS account did expand when I checked this morning. I have been checking it regularly so I am positive it had not expanded previously.

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:20 pm

My paws account expanded yesterday also. For those who have been accepted how long did it take from paws expanding to a acceptance package via snail mail?

southernboy

Postby southernboy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:01 pm

SAOJD10 wrote:My paws account expanded yesterday also. For those who have been accepted how long did it take from paws expanding to a acceptance package via snail mail?

My paws account expanded on a wednesday and I got a letter in the mail the following tuesday, so about 5-6 days.

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:51 am

I was accepted and my paws account remains unchanged since the first day I was complete.

rcharles

Postby rcharles » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:58 pm

ram jam wrote:I was accepted and my paws account remains unchanged since the first day I was complete.

Maybe they accepted you before you applied, much like FIU...

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:02 am

Got into LSU a few weeks ago. Got into Miami back in November, like two weeks after applying, but haven't heard anything about schollys. Got into both Arkansas schools. Still waiting to hear back from FSU and ASU as well as a my reach school.

MLong

Postby MLong » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:37 pm

You guys who have heard already are very fortunate. I'm a 1L at LSU and I didn't hear anything until early April after going complete in December. If anyone has any questions about LSU Law or the city - feel free to ask away.

TonyDigital

Postby TonyDigital » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:04 pm

Wassup MLong... Are you enjoying your time at LSU Law?

What is your overall impression of the program, school, and city? I saw that you got accepted to Loyola LA...were you referring to Loyola New Orleans? If so, why LSU over Loyola? And I'm assuming you meant Loyola New Orleans because Houston, Tulane, Loyola-NO, and LSU are the same schools i applied to :)

Also, do you know anything about how competitive LSU grads are in the New Orleans legal market? Thanks!

0 and 16

Postby 0 and 16 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:46 pm

MLong wrote:You guys who have heard already are very fortunate. I'm a 1L at LSU and I didn't hear anything until early April after going complete in December. If anyone has any questions about LSU Law or the city - feel free to ask away.

How well do LSU grads do in Houston?

How do you think employers in Common Law states view the JD/BCL degree?

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:45 pm

Hey MLong, you single?

maxpayne

Postby maxpayne » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:29 pm

in at lsu today via snail mail. my menus on my paws account expanded last week.

Tigerbait

Postby Tigerbait » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:52 pm

In at LSU today by snail mail too even though I didn't go complete until mid January. The letter only had to travel about 50 miles though.

My PAWs account just expanded today too.

Does anyone know if LSU Law students can get season football tickets?

LSAT N00b

Postby LSAT N00b » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:58 pm

Tigerbait wrote:In at LSU today by snail mail too even though I didn't go complete until mid January. The letter only had to travel about 50 miles though.

To my knowledge, they only give out a few and are very hard to get as a law student.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:33 pm

LSAT N00b wrote:
Tigerbait wrote:In at LSU today by snail mail too even though I didn't go complete until mid January. The letter only had to travel about 50 miles though.

To my knowledge, they only give out a few and are very hard to get as a law student.

Thats BS. One of the reasons go to go a school like LSU is SEC football.

MLong

Postby MLong » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:22 pm

0 and 16 wrote:
MLong wrote:You guys who have heard already are very fortunate. I'm a 1L at LSU and I didn't hear anything until early April after going complete in December. If anyone has any questions about LSU Law or the city - feel free to ask away.

How well do LSU grads do in Houston?

How do you think employers in Common Law states view the JD/BCL degree?

I actually was fortunate enough to work with alot of attorneys in the Houston area, as I spent a year working with medical malpractice law prior to starting law school. You would be very surprised the concentration of LSU law grads in that area. Houston, being a bit more metropolitan area than most cities in Louisiana, has a huge draw for cases. Having the dual degree and being more familiar with Louisiana law is definitely an advantage in that way, although most "big" cases that go to Texas attys will be tort cases, which doesn't differ much in common vs. civil law.

The JD/DCL degree is actually very well received throughout the common law territories. Our JD is that of common law. So, we have the same JD degree as any other practicing attorney. The difference is the DCL - Diploma of Civil Law. Recently, Chancellor Weiss and the board have proposed to change this to a Diploma of Comparative Law, to further broaden the marketability of the degreee. Don't ask me why - I have no idea. Just throwing it out there. But, our degree is well respected throughout the 49 Common Law jurisdictions.

MLong

Postby MLong » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:24 pm

darknightbegins wrote:
LSAT N00b wrote:

Thats BS. One of the reasons go to go a school like LSU is SEC football.

Haha - NOT the only reason. But, to each his own.

As law students, we do have a weekly raffle with a limited amount of seats reserved specifically for the law kids. As 1L's there are far less than the 2L's and 3L's, but there is usually an opportunity to go if you just ask around. Besides - our tailgating is more fun than the game and that's open to all law students.

MLong

Postby MLong » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:25 pm

darknightbegins wrote:Hey MLong, you single?

Ummm.....nope. Dating a judge. Never too soon to start networking!!

MLong

Postby MLong » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:36 pm

TonyDigital wrote:Wassup MLong... Are you enjoying your time at LSU Law?

What is your overall impression of the program, school, and city? I saw that you got accepted to Loyola LA...were you referring to Loyola New Orleans? If so, why LSU over Loyola? And I'm assuming you meant Loyola New Orleans because Houston, Tulane, Loyola-NO, and LSU are the same schools i applied to :)

Also, do you know anything about how competitive LSU grads are in the New Orleans legal market? Thanks!

I LOVE LSU LAW. Couldn't be happier with my choice. I have friends at Loyola who absolutely hated it and some that loved it. Same with Tulane and Southern. I have yet to meet an unhappy person at LSU. Seriously.

The program is insanely rigorous. My first semester I had a Crim Law class with a professor that taught previously at Harvard. He told us he was shocked at the fact that we take 6 classes per semester and that at Harvard, that would be inhumane, as they averaged 3-4 per semester. It's tough and there is absolutely no way for someone who hasn't been here to comprehend the time you must devote to reading, case briefing and research. Challenging doesn't even cut it. Luckily, the school sponsors "GIF's" each Friday at local bars where we are graced with free liquor. If you don't drink before law school, you may want to consider taking it up. (Just joking - sort of).

Why LSU over Loyola - well, got into both. First obvious reason is cost. About 20K less per year!! And second is the bar passage rate. I have a friend who graduated a few years ago and it took her 3 times to pass the bar. LSU has one of the highest (if not the highest) bar passage rate in the state. Then, there's the city. Baton Rouge is great and very student friendly. Cheap living, lots to do, etc. Fairly safe and fairly insulated from hurricanes for the most part.

New Orleans is FULL of LSU grads. Just check out the websites for resume's of some of the attys in the area for which you want to eventually practice. Gives you a good view. But, like I said in another post above - our dual degree makes us marketable anywhere. And, FYI - the N.O. D.A.'s office began recruiting for 1L and 2L clerks the second week I was here. You'd think they would have plenty with Loyola and Tulane, but they have repeatedly told us that they are more and more impressed with the capabilities of the LSU students.

I know I made the right choice when I visited the school and talked with the Admissions office staff and then attended a few classes. I HIGHLY suggest you do the same. And tell Beth Loup I sent ya!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”