LSU?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Cestjustemoi

Re: LSU?

Postby Cestjustemoi » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:31 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
anothernancydrew wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote: Full-tuition ($25,000 and some change) with top 25% required to renew and OOS. It does seem like the exact amounts are pretty odd and arbitrary.

Wow, sweet deal, congrats! I didn't realize that OOS was that quite that expensive. Mind if I ask your numbers?

Mid-160s, >3.8

i think LSU is unique in their scholarship offers they gave me full including non resident fee with the renewal contingency that I remain in good standing (only a 2.0) and my numbers were only 1 or 2 points from their median!

TonyDigital

Postby TonyDigital » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:39 pm

Cestjustemoi wrote:i think LSU is unique in their scholarship offers they gave me full including non resident fee with the renewal contingency that I remain in good standing (only a 2.0) and my numbers were only 1 or 2 points from their median!

Well damn. Congratulations on a kick ass scholarship but that makes me think much much less about my scholarship offer (3/4 and top 33%) when my gpa and lsat were both above their 75th percentile...hmmmm....

Cestjustemoi

Postby Cestjustemoi » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:52 pm

TonyDigital wrote:
Cestjustemoi wrote:i think LSU is unique in their scholarship offers they gave me full including non resident fee with the renewal contingency that I remain in good standing (only a 2.0) and my numbers were only 1 or 2 points from their median!

Well damn. Congratulations on a kick ass scholarship but that makes me think much much less about my scholarship offer (3/4 and top 33%) when my gpa and lsat were both above their 75th percentile...hmmmm....

Thanks! I wouldn't be upset though if I were you it's great to get a scholly to a tier one, it means they want you. I honestly think LSU does not weigh their scholarship offers as heavily on numbers, there were a lot of personal aspects to my app. Congrats on your scholarship and I hope you choose LSU.

Bulls

Postby Bulls » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:52 pm

Did anyone's PAWs expand last week without any word yet?

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:59 pm

Bulls wrote:Did anyone's PAWs expand last week without any word yet?

Mine expanded last Monday and still no word. my best guess is now accepted files go to the scholarship board before getting the letter sent so thus we have longer turnaround. People were getting quick turnaround after the PAWS expansion before they were doing scholarships. Also remember, LSU was closed Monday, today, and half day tomorrow for Mardi Gras.

Bulls

Postby Bulls » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:03 pm

macatak911 wrote:

Mine expanded last Monday and still no word. my best guess is now accepted files go to the scholarship board before getting the letter sent so thus we have longer turnaround. People were getting quick turnaround after the PAWS expansion before they were doing scholarships. Also remember, LSU was closed Monday, today, and half day tomorrow for Mardi Gras.

Thanks. I think mine expanded tuesday or wednesday. Do you know if all files are sent before the board? LSU seems like a great choice especially since I have yet to hear back from UF or FSU. Has anyone visited? I plan on swinging through LSU and Tulane the second week of march

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:13 pm

Bulls wrote:
macatak911 wrote:

Thanks. I think mine expanded tuesday or wednesday. Do you know if all files are sent before the board? LSU seems like a great choice especially since I have yet to hear back from UF or FSU. Has anyone visited? I plan on swinging through LSU and Tulane the second week of march

This is what I pulled from the website:

How do I apply for scholarships?

Scholarships and grants are available to first-year and upperclass students. Approximately one-third of our law students receive some form of scholarship assistance. Admitted first-year students are automatically considered for scholarship support. Scholarships range from $1,000 to full-tuition scholarships.

So it looks like everyone gets considered.

I visited both in January. Liked Tulane's facilities a little better but the people at LSU were much friendlier. Sat in classes at both and came away with a good feeling with both. Both are my top 2 choices so hopefully I have a decision to make (no word from Tulane). Let me know if you have specific questions about each

EastbndnDwn

Postby EastbndnDwn » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:25 pm

Bulls wrote:
macatak911 wrote:

I'm also going to be down in Baton Rouge the second week of March. Never been to Baton Rouge before... anyone know some good bars I should check out?

roguey

Postby roguey » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:42 pm

EastbndnDwn wrote:
Bulls wrote:
macatak911 wrote:

I'm also going to be down in Baton Rouge the second week of March. Never been to Baton Rouge before... anyone know some good bars I should check out?

I miss Louisiana. I guarantee that you will find LSU beautiful. Sadly enough I lived on the other side of the state, so I don't know of places to go Baton Rouge. Baton Rouge was the "big city." We drove over 3 hours to get to it just so we could go to Target... ahhh, small towns.

Bulls

Postby Bulls » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:16 am

macatak911 wrote:
Bulls wrote:
macatak911 wrote:

This is what I pulled from the website:

How do I apply for scholarships?

Scholarships and grants are available to first-year and upperclass students. Approximately one-third of our law students receive some form of scholarship assistance. Admitted first-year students are automatically considered for scholarship support. Scholarships range from $1,000 to full-tuition scholarships.

So it looks like everyone gets considered.

I visited both in January. Liked Tulane's facilities a little better but the people at LSU were much friendlier. Sat in classes at both and came away with a good feeling with both. Both are my top 2 choices so hopefully I have a decision to make (no word from Tulane). Let me know if you have specific questions about each

Got my packet today, I'm really excited about this one. If you didn't get it today I'm sure it will be showing up soon

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:32 pm

For anyone wondering what your admission packet will look like: (click to enlarge)

Envelope

Packet

Open Packet

Letter

Accepted Students Day

Decal Thingy

byron2008

Postby byron2008 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:10 pm

Why didn't my admissions packet come with an ipod?

Cestjustemoi

Postby Cestjustemoi » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:31 am

byron2008 wrote:Why didn't my admissions packet come with an ipod?

lol that's a controller to a mac book. I want a new one now!

LSAT! Nooooooooo!

Postby LSAT! Nooooooooo! » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:38 am

macatak911 wrote:For anyone wondering what your admission packet will look like: (click to enlarge)

Envelope

Packet

Open Packet

Letter

Accepted Students Day

Decal Thingy

This was a great post. I felt like I was there! Congratulations on your acceptance, I hope you're as excited as I am for you.

KellyD09

Postby KellyD09 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:55 am

Just checked the mail... Scholarship letter was dated 2/23. Full Scholarship. Letter says "This scholarship will be renewed in full in future years provided that you remain in good standing."

3.5/161/URM/In state

Bulls

Postby Bulls » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:14 pm

KellyD09 wrote:Just checked the mail... Scholarship letter was dated 2/23. Full Scholarship. Letter says "This scholarship will be renewed in full in future years provided that you remain in good standing."

3.5/161/URM/In state

Congrats! I will be anxiously awaiting the mail man now.

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:22 pm

Bulls wrote:
KellyD09 wrote:Just checked the mail... Scholarship letter was dated 2/23. Full Scholarship. Letter says "This scholarship will be renewed in full in future years provided that you remain in good standing."

3.5/161/URM/In state

Congrats! I will be anxiously awaiting the mail man now.

You mean kind of like we've been doing every day since December :lol:

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:26 pm

I just got a full tuition scholarship to LSU... It's where I went for undergrad. I really don't want to go to LSU for another 3 years though :oops:

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:33 pm

Charles Barkley wrote:I just got a full tuition scholarship to LSU... It's where I went for undergrad. I really don't want to go to LSU for another 3 years though :oops:

Congrats! How long after your app did you get your scholarship notification?

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:34 pm

macatak911 wrote:
Charles Barkley wrote:I just got a full tuition scholarship to LSU... It's where I went for undergrad. I really don't want to go to LSU for another 3 years though :oops:

Congrats! How long after your app did you get your scholarship notification?

I would say about 2-3 weeks. Probably closer to 3.

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:34 pm

Just got my scholly letter today too, my acceptance letter was dated January 27, so don't lose hope if you have to wait little over three wks. I got $9,500.00 per year and it has a top 50% renewal requirement. My numbers are above the 75th's but Im OOS

Cestjustemoi

Postby Cestjustemoi » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:00 pm

I just sent in my deposit and housing app!!! I am very excited!

MLong

Postby MLong » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:34 am

Sorry - just saw this - Go to Chimes. It's at the Northgate of LSU Campus, within walking distance of the law center. It's where we all go when we need a drink after (and sometimes between) classes. :)

bruffin

Postby bruffin » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:53 am

MLong wrote:You guys who have heard already are very fortunate. I'm a 1L at LSU and I didn't hear anything until early April after going complete in December. If anyone has any questions about LSU Law or the city - feel free to ask away.

I was hoping you could give me some clarification about how the common/civil law curriculum works. Are there separate classes for each or are both sides taught in the same course?

How is your easy/difficult has it been for you and your classmates to find work for the summer?

Thanks for taking our questions!

macatak911

Postby macatak911 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:23 pm

bruffin wrote:
MLong wrote:You guys who have heard already are very fortunate. I'm a 1L at LSU and I didn't hear anything until early April after going complete in December. If anyone has any questions about LSU Law or the city - feel free to ask away.

I was hoping you could give me some clarification about how the common/civil law curriculum works. Are there separate classes for each or are both sides taught in the same course?

How is your easy/difficult has it been for you and your classmates to find work for the summer?

Thanks for taking our questions!

Going off the civil question, how easy is it to find supplements for the civil classes?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”