LSU? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BriaTharen

Silver

Re: LSU?

Post by BriaTharen » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:20 pm

Less than 5 miles lol

southernboy

Bronze

Post by southernboy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:22 pm

congratulations on your acceptance jessicatiger! would you mind sharing your numbers?

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:39 pm

southernboy wrote:congratulations on your acceptance jessicatiger! would you mind sharing your numbers?
No prob- 3.2, 160

anothernancydrew

Bronze

Post by anothernancydrew » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:39 pm

Yay! In today via mail!

Does anyone know when financial aid info comes out?

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:34 pm

Admissions office said that scholarship decisions would be made in January.

Congrats anothernancydrew!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rcharles

Bronze

Post by rcharles » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:30 pm

In today via snail mail!!! This will be a nice pick-me-up going into Christmas.

3.9/159
Complete 11/5

Congrats to the other acceptances and good luck those of you who are waiting.

carman1880

New

Post by carman1880 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:43 pm

In today via snail mail. :D

rcharles

Bronze

Post by rcharles » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:45 pm

anothernancydrew wrote:
JessicaTiger wrote:In at LSU today by snail mail! Hooray!
Congrats! How far did your envelope have to go?
Thanks. I'm about a 5 hour drive from Baton Rouge.

Krones

New

Post by Krones » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:45 am

I had gotten a phone call on Dec. 15th, but the packet came in the mail today.

In with a 157/3.68

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TonyDigital

Bronze

Post by TonyDigital » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:29 pm

I just noticed my options on the PAWS account were just expanded to include a lot of the options people ITT were talking about earlier. My numbers are good for LSU but it'd be nice to hear something from them!

Let me ask a hypothetical to the people here considering LSU: Would you choose UH at sticker over say a 3/4 $ or full ride at LSU for work in Houston?

And the same question to Tulane with 1/4 - 1/2 scholly vs LSU with 3/4 or full ride for work in New Orleans...

I'm also curious what the big/mid-law legal market look like in New Orleans, anyone here know? Thanks...

anothernancydrew

Bronze

Post by anothernancydrew » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:40 pm

TonyDigital wrote:I'm also curious what the big/mid-law legal market look like in New Orleans, anyone here know? Thanks...
Very small. There are very few/no traditional big law firms in New Orleans. There are some good paying, well regarded firms that might be viewed as mid-law. New Orleans in general is not a very large legal market, particularly when viewed compared to, say, Houston.
TonyDigital wrote:And the same question to Tulane with 1/4 - 1/2 scholly vs LSU with 3/4 or full ride for work in New Orleans...
Really depends on what you want to do. Just in general, even without aid, LSU is very affordable--far more so than Tulane. In Louisiana, LSU is very well regarded, but in the microcosm of New Orleans, Tulane is still probably better regarded, but enough to justify the extra debt? Hard to say. Also really depends if you want to stay in Louisiana long term.

TonyDigital

Bronze

Post by TonyDigital » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:51 pm

anothernancydrew wrote:
TonyDigital wrote:I'm also curious what the big/mid-law legal market look like in New Orleans, anyone here know? Thanks...
Very small. There are very few/no traditional big law firms in New Orleans. There are some good paying, well regarded firms that might be viewed as mid-law. New Orleans in general is not a very large legal market, particularly when viewed compared to, say, Houston.
TonyDigital wrote:And the same question to Tulane with 1/4 - 1/2 scholly vs LSU with 3/4 or full ride for work in New Orleans...
Really depends on what you want to do. Just in general, even without aid, LSU is very affordable--far more so than Tulane. In Louisiana, LSU is very well regarded, but in the microcosm of New Orleans, Tulane is still probably better regarded, but enough to justify the extra debt? Hard to say. Also really depends if you want to stay in Louisiana long term.
Thanks for sharing your opinion nancydrew. I have a UH acceptance and waiting to hear from the schools in LA. I think I'd have more fun going to school in BR or NO but for the long-term investment of law school, I'm beginning to think UH would be the better investment. Houston has more job opportunities...actually a lot more than Baton Rouge and New Orleans combined it seems.

I've heard UH is like a commuter school and LSU and Tulane have very nice campuses but I guess I gotta look at this decision from the standpoint of this being a business decision. Did you apply to UH, Tulane, Loyola also?

anothernancydrew

Bronze

Post by anothernancydrew » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:06 pm

TonyDigital wrote:
anothernancydrew wrote:
Thanks for sharing your opinion nancydrew. I have a UH acceptance and waiting to hear from the schools in LA. I think I'd have more fun going to school in BR or NO but for the long-term investment of law school, I'm beginning to think UH would be the better investment. Houston has more job opportunities...actually a lot more than Baton Rouge and New Orleans combined it seems.

I've heard UH is like a commuter school and LSU and Tulane have very nice campuses but I guess I gotta look at this decision from the standpoint of this being a business decision. Did you apply to UH, Tulane, Loyola also?
I applied to Tulane and Loyola, but not Houston. I have no desire to live or work there. I think that Tulane would serve you well in Texas, Houston in particular, but I doubt it beats UH. Tulane's campus is quite nice and I do love living in New Orleans, but if working in Houston is your ultimate goal, UH likely makes more sense (though I have no idea how much UH might cost).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

southernboy

Bronze

Post by southernboy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:56 pm

tonydigital, what were your numbers? also congrats on your expansion of the paws account becaust that is probably an acceptance

TonyDigital

Bronze

Post by TonyDigital » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:37 pm

southernboy wrote:tonydigital, what were your numbers? also congrats on your expansion of the paws account becaust that is probably an acceptance
Sup man...I have a 3.6/162. I hope it means an acceptance as I think i'm gonna have to make some very quick decisions because I'm planning on deferring for a year...

southernboy

Bronze

Post by southernboy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:50 pm

has anybody who has had their paws account expanded been accepted recently? Mine just expanded today, so I hope its a good sign

TonyDigital

Bronze

Post by TonyDigital » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:53 pm

southernboy wrote:has anybody who has had their paws account expanded been accepted recently? Mine just expanded today, so I hope its a good sign
I think it's a good sign indeed. I just got accepted via snail mail! fwiw, I believe my Paws acct expanded some a couple weeks ago and then I believe it expanded with even more options some time last week. Good luck!

Has anyone gotten scholly info or know when we should hear?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

southernboy

Bronze

Post by southernboy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:11 pm

your account expanded further? what kinds of things were included in the new expansion?

TonyDigital

Bronze

Post by TonyDigital » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:15 pm

southernboy wrote:your account expanded further? what kinds of things were included in the new expansion?
To tell you the truth, I'm not 100% on this because I didn't really analyze the situation that deeply. I just remembered at first there wasn't much when I hit "expand all". Then there was more...encouraging sign because of what I've read in this thread. Then last week I remember thinkin to myself that I believe there are a lot more options now...

So to answer your question...I don't know. It might all be in my head... But I do know I have an acceptance letter now and if your options expanded, there's a good chance you'll be getting one soon too.

rcharles

Bronze

Post by rcharles » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:44 pm

It expands to include options such as "sign up for classes" etc. Mine expanded and I was later accepted so I think it's a good sign. I believe the first page of this thread dicusses it...

southernboy

Bronze

Post by southernboy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:55 pm

I appreciate the help guys. My paws account expanded to include stuff like "law school courses" and "payment schedule" type things. I was just trying to figure out if there was a second expansion that tonydigital indicated. I hope there isn't because then I'd have to wait about 2 weeks to get a decision.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MU2009

New

Post by MU2009 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:24 pm

Ok I am an idiot. Where is the status checker? Is it found through the PAWS service?

BCgoUSC

New

Post by BCgoUSC » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:27 pm

Yeah I never quite got why they even bothered to send the PAWS stuff if there was no status checker. I applied 3 months ago and haven't heard a word. Am I missing something?

0 and 16

New

Post by 0 and 16 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:31 pm

anybody heard 'bout scholarships?

macatak911

Bronze

Post by macatak911 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:34 pm

Not a peep here either.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.