Lewis & Clark 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
arundodonax
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:31 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Postby arundodonax » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:09 pm

What we can discern from last year's numbers:

Of those waitlisted last year, many received notice about the same time, on 4/14 - so nothing new here:
http://lewisandclark.lawschoolnumbers.c ... order=desc

On LSN, of those who were waitlisted who did not withdraw, about 20% were later accepted - though this could be totally different this year. Again:
http://lewisandclark.lawschoolnumbers.c ... order=desc

For those on scholly hold, last year things didn't fare so well:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=54914&hilit=lewis+clark+2009&start=825

User avatar
sophistry
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Postby sophistry » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:26 am

arundodonax wrote:What we can discern from last year's numbers:

Of those waitlisted last year, many received notice about the same time, on 4/14 - so nothing new here:
http://lewisandclark.lawschoolnumbers.c ... order=desc

On LSN, of those who were waitlisted who did not withdraw, about 20% were later accepted - though this could be totally different this year. Again:
http://lewisandclark.lawschoolnumbers.c ... order=desc

For those on scholly hold, last year things didn't fare so well:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=54914&hilit=lewis+clark+2009&start=825


Good work. Those posts last year about the lack of scholarship funds, even after the "redistribution," stung a bit. It's possible they have more funds than they did last cycle, but I doubt it. Based on last year's posts, it looks like some of us might get notified tomorrow...

Tuski
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Postby Tuski » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:54 pm

Hey everyone, I withdrew yesterday with 25K/yr. Hope the money and my spot go to someone here!

User avatar
uganik
Posts: 258
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:40 am

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Postby uganik » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:16 pm

Tuski wrote:Hey everyone, I withdrew yesterday with 25K/yr. Hope the money and my spot go to someone here!



THANK YOU! :D

jackiemanuel
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Postby jackiemanuel » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:32 pm

No $ for me. I'm just not sure I can pay $40k more for a school ranked 40-50 places lower than other schools I can attend. It is too bad, because I love Portland and the campus.

JSabalbaro
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:39 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Postby JSabalbaro » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:36 pm

jackiemanuel wrote:No $ for me. I'm just not sure I can pay $40k more for a school ranked 40-50 places lower than other schools I can attend. It is too bad, because I love Portland and the campus.



Just got the "we have no more money available" e-mail from L&C. So it looks like I will be withdrawing this week. Hope my spot goes to someone else on this board.

KraftEZ
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:45 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Postby KraftEZ » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:38 pm

Unless you're in a T14 ranking hardly should play a role.

User avatar
SamSeaborn2016
Posts: 412
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:45 pm

"Dear Sam,

The admissions committee has reviewed your request for scholarship consideration. We are sorry to say that we do not have any additional funds to award this year. Each year the competition for scholarships increases because of the greater number of highly qualified applicants admitted to Lewis & Clark, and unfortunately, we are limited in the amount of funds we are able to award. Once enrolled, there are more opportunities to apply for other scholarships and grants for upper division students. These are listed on our website at http://www.lclark.edu/dept/lawadmss/scholarships.html.

We do hope that you choose to attend Lewis & Clark and we are confident you will have a very positive experience here. If you do choose to come, we will keep your name on our scholarship reconsideration list throughout the summer in the event that additional funds become available later. This is unlikely, but has happened on occasion. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have further questions."

Bummer. It was worth a shot to get more money, though. Still, they are my first choice and cheaper than many others for me. Best of luck to everyone who is still on the wait list.

User avatar
SamSeaborn2016
Posts: 412
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:45 pm

edit: oops, double post

arundodonax
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:31 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Postby arundodonax » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:06 pm

Money ding for me too.

I am frustrated, but I have to seriously consider reality. If I wanted to spin this positively, I could consider that 47% of day students and 72% of night students don't get any money. I am concerned that with the large tuition increase this year (5Kish), and that following years will see additional increases.

I emailed career services a while ago to get some more stats from the class of 2009, and I thought I would share them (I think this is okay). Granted, these are '09 numbers, and not '10 and '11's who are probably seeing worse.

Employment at 9 months: "close to 90%"
Of those employed:
Went into positions that require a JD: 83%
Employed in the pacific region: 86%
Employed in permanent, full time positions: 82%
Median private sector salary: $77,500

For what it's worth. I'm not sure I can justify shelling out 105K+COL when I have so much cheaper (and potentially more competitive options).

User avatar
sophistry
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Postby sophistry » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:27 pm

arundodonax wrote:Money ding for me too.

I am frustrated, but I have to seriously consider reality.

For what it's worth. I'm not sure I can justify shelling out 105K+COL when I have so much cheaper (and potentially more competitive options).


Of course you can't.

Neither can I. And I don't see any reason to be nice about this.

L&C needs to get their act together. There's no reason to string us along and then not give us at least a few small token scholarships. My numbers are above their 75%, as are a few others who were waiting, so there is no reason I shouldn't get anything in scholarships. Similarly ranked schools have given me $19k to 30k/year. They will continue to drop in the rankings, and more importantly, not bring in high caliber students if they refuse to offer scholarships.

I assume no one received a scholarship after being reconsidered. If you are someone who did, please indicate your numbers and perhaps a reason why you think you got the money.

It looks to me like they made the same damn mistake they made last year. They clearly can't manage their money. I'll be watching as they tank in the rankings.

Hey-O
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Postby Hey-O » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:31 pm

sophistry wrote:
arundodonax wrote:Money ding for me too.

I am frustrated, but I have to seriously consider reality.

For what it's worth. I'm not sure I can justify shelling out 105K+COL when I have so much cheaper (and potentially more competitive options).


Of course you can't.

Neither can I. And I don't see any reason to be nice about this.

L&C needs to get their act together. There's no reason to string us along and then not give us at least a few small token scholarships. My numbers are above their 75%, as are a few others who were waiting, so there is no reason I shouldn't get anything in scholarships. Similarly ranked schools have given me $19k to 30k/year. They will continue to drop in the rankings, and more importantly, not bring in high caliber students if they refuse to offer scholarships.

I assume no one received a scholarship after being reconsidered. If you are someone who did, please indicate your numbers and perhaps a reason why you think you got the money.

It looks to me like they made the same damn mistake they made last year. They clearly can't manage their money. I'll be watching as they tank in the rankings.


I have to agree with this. I really wanted to go to L&C for family reasons. I am also above their 75% and rec'd nothing. I did apply late in the cycle (early Feb), but I would have gone if they'd given me a decent scholarship option.

funkylicks
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:11 am

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Postby funkylicks » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:47 pm

+ 1 on the no-money-in-the-reconsideration front. I figured. In fact, I'd already put down a full seat deposit at UO. I'll be withdrawing tomorrow, so I hope someone with deeper pockets than me gets themselves off the waitlist. Farewell fellow posters.

yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Postby yo! » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:54 pm

Damn, I'm glad that I didn't wait when they sent me the "we gots no money" email in Feb. I would have been seriously pissed if I deposited and got nothing. I really like L&C, but this shit is ridiculous. I'm paying like 32k/yr for Davis, so I probably would have attended L&C if they offered my like 1/2 tuition. Oh well, I guess applying in December was too late....

User avatar
sophistry
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Postby sophistry » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:04 pm

yo! wrote:Damn, I'm glad that I didn't wait when they sent me the "we gots no money" email in Feb. I would have been seriously pissed if I deposited and got nothing. I really like L&C, but this shit is ridiculous. I'm paying like 32k/yr for Davis, so I probably would have attended L&C if they offered my like 1/2 tuition. Oh well, I guess applying in December was too late....


Yep.

I was avoiding Davis because of the cost, but maybe I should deposit there. I have a week to decide....

User avatar
sophistry
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Postby sophistry » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:11 pm

For the record: Clearly I like the school or I wouldn't be so upset about being denied a scholarship. So for those of you who never had an opportunity for a scholarship, or are on the waitlist, please understand that it's not the overall institution that I am frustrated and angry with. It's the admissions/scholarship office. They need to change their ways. If you end up attending L&C, please pass the word along.

I could rant for some time about this, but it's time to drop it. Congrats to those who have the funds to attend. I will be elsewhere (though you may see me in Powell's from time to time).

User avatar
kalede
Posts: 159
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:59 am

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Postby kalede » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:59 pm

Yep, no scholarship here either, which takes L&C out of the running for me. I'm actually thinking about sitting out a year, retaking the LSAT again, and applying again much earlier in the app cycle because of this. :/ I sent in a deposit at UO, but the more I think about taking a year off to work, the more it seems like the right thing to do.

User avatar
ccs224
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Postby ccs224 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:10 pm

It sounds like a lot of the folks getting passed over for scholarships applied very late in the cycle. If you can, waiting a year and reapplying early would probably yield much better results.

User avatar
sophistry
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Postby sophistry » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:27 pm

ccs224 wrote:It sounds like a lot of the folks getting passed over for scholarships applied very late in the cycle. If you can, waiting a year and reapplying early would probably yield much better results.


No dude. The point is that L&C isn't worth waiting a year for. I got nice scholarship to every school I applied to except two reaches and--who else?--L&C.

Congrats on UW, but I don't think any of us here need unsolicited advice. Besides, the correct advice would have been "retake the LSAT and go to UW."

EDIT: Gah, why did I come back to this thread??!

bluetomato
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:20 am

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Postby bluetomato » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:49 pm

+1 for scholarship ding. I applied mid January.

User avatar
ccs224
Posts: 465
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Postby ccs224 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:06 pm

sophistry wrote:
ccs224 wrote:It sounds like a lot of the folks getting passed over for scholarships applied very late in the cycle. If you can, waiting a year and reapplying early would probably yield much better results.


No dude. The point is that L&C isn't worth waiting a year for. I got nice scholarship to every school I applied to except two reaches and--who else?--L&C.

Congrats on UW, but I don't think any of us here need unsolicited advice. Besides, the correct advice would have been "retake the LSAT and go to UW."

EDIT: Gah, why did I come back to this thread??!


Bah. Not trying to belittle your frustration, just pointing out that a lot of the people with above average numbers who did not get scholarships seem to have applied later in the cycle, while those with similar numbers who applied earlier seem to have been given offers. My advice to wait a year was directed at the poster who was considering just that, not at everyone generally.

It's funny, though, that you mention UW. UW (along with Texas, but fuck them - they don't even count) was the only school not to give me a scholarship, and I've gotten pretty generous ones from higher ranked schools even though I would really love to go to UW, so I'm basically feeling towards them what others here are feeling for L&C right now.

User avatar
sophistry
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Postby sophistry » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:14 pm

Just fyi for those feeling bad about scholarship reconsideration:

I just confirmed with L&C that no one on the reconsideration list received funds, including people who were asking for increased scholarships over what they already had. Zero.

arundodonax
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:31 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Postby arundodonax » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:58 pm

I'm still throwing around $ scenarios in my head, considering waiting it out a year, other options, etc.

But even with my numbers and a 6 point higher LSAT, I would still likely only see maybe 10k a year, so I'm not sure it would be worth the wait, as I could be one year father into a career.

If you look at LSN data, if you had median numbers, the time you applied had no bearing on if you got money, as it seems almost everyone in this situation got money-waitlisted or no money offer. It was those who had higher numbers that applied in Feb that could have gotten money if they applied earlier.

In fact, if you had a 3.5 or below with a 162 or below (non URM), even if you applied in October you likely saw no money. The drivers for scholarship were high LSAT or high GPA, as they are with most places. If you had median LSAT and GPA - no money for you.

I hope higher numbers equals smarter kids and greater local reputation (and eventually ranking), but with this strategy, the middle folks get left out, many withdraw, and then they pull from the waitlist, which I would guess ultimately brings their numbers down. It also means more smarter kids end up at UOregon, which brings more competition to L&C.

User avatar
totebags
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:45 am

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Postby totebags » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:18 pm

arundodonax wrote:
In fact, if you had a 3.5 or below with a 162 or below (non URM), even if you applied in October you likely saw no money. The drivers for scholarship were high LSAT or high GPA, as they are with most places. If you had median LSAT and GPA - no money for you.


I have those numbers and got some $$. Applied in Dec. (I know, you did say "likely".)

Hey-O
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Postby Hey-O » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:06 pm

arundodonax wrote:I'm still throwing around $ scenarios in my head, considering waiting it out a year, other options, etc.

But even with my numbers and a 6 point higher LSAT, I would still likely only see maybe 10k a year, so I'm not sure it would be worth the wait, as I could be one year father into a career.

If you look at LSN data, if you had median numbers, the time you applied had no bearing on if you got money, as it seems almost everyone in this situation got money-waitlisted or no money offer. It was those who had higher numbers that applied in Feb that could have gotten money if they applied earlier.

In fact, if you had a 3.5 or below with a 162 or below (non URM), even if you applied in October you likely saw no money. The drivers for scholarship were high LSAT or high GPA, as they are with most places. If you had median LSAT and GPA - no money for you.

I hope higher numbers equals smarter kids and greater local reputation (and eventually ranking), but with this strategy, the middle folks get left out, many withdraw, and then they pull from the waitlist, which I would guess ultimately brings their numbers down. It also means more smarter kids end up at UOregon, which brings more competition to L&C.



I had a 169 and 3.85. Applied in January. Nothing.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hellohalo, potatocowpower and 7 guests