Lewis & Clark 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
houli13

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Postby houli13 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:03 pm

Question: Has anyone heard anything (accepted or rejected) after being placed on hold? I'm curious as to whether or not they will let us know anything sooner than late April/early May as stated in the email.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:09 pm

I'm am so thoroughly complete now.

Got third "update" today.

EDIT: Dang. Tried to get in admitted students page. "The change you wanted was rejected."

It adds, with an appreciated touch of snark (intended or otherwise): "Maybe you tried to change something you didn't have access to."

bluelilyleif

Postby bluelilyleif » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:32 pm

akili wrote:Ahhh my complete date just updated to today's date. What does that mean again?

yes yes what does that mean? Mine says:

Current Status: Application File Complete
Current Status Date: 1/22/2010

Also, what is "decision pending"? gah.

the_rad_trad

Postby the_rad_trad » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:06 pm

bluelilyleif wrote:
akili wrote:Ahhh my complete date just updated to today's date. What does that mean again?

yes yes what does that mean? Mine says:

Current Status: Application File Complete
Current Status Date: 1/22/2010

Also, what is "decision pending"? gah.

The complete application file just means they have all of the components necessary to start reviewing (but that by no means signifies that they are ready to review). The decision pending just means that you haven't been issued a decision as of yet.

On a different note, Lewis and Clark is one of my top schools. I love Oregon! My file, unfortunately, has only just been complete within the last week or so. Bummer. Such is the case for most of the schools I've applied to. Which means I probably will have NO idea where I'll end up until April/May.

jazzluvr

Postby jazzluvr » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:03 am

goingoingone wrote:I just got an email saying that I received a Dean's Scholarship of $16k/year. I was admitted back on 1/29. This came at an interesting time; I had all but written off Lewis and Clark after I was accepted to Washington and Lee, but getting some money definitely is making me think about them a little more. I still think W&L is a bit more attractive to me, and I'll know for sure when I go visit in April. If I decide not to go with LC, I'll withdraw ASAP so hopefully my scholarship money can go to someone else.

Good luck, everybody!

Did your original letter mention anything at all about scholarships - you know, the spiel about having been considered but they were all out of money? Just wondering, because I was accepted in early January and there was no mention of money or of being considered, so I figured there was no hope of that. But now I'm wondering if they might suddenly offer some money out of the blue, which is (apparently?) what happened in your case. (And this is coming to you after lots of people here got the "we're out of money" letters? WTF??)

beepermad

Postby beepermad » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:18 am

IN via e-mail (I'm abroad) last night. Last decision update was 2/17. Now to decide if I want to evade adulthood for three more years...

heckyes

Postby heckyes » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:30 am

beepermad wrote:IN via e-mail (I'm abroad) last night. Last decision update was 2/17. Now to decide if I want to evade adulthood for three more years...

congratulations!!!!

heckyes

Postby heckyes » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:28 pm

officially dinged by University of Washington today....

while this is vaguely upsetting....it also means I am putting my deposit down for lewis and clark today. yay!!!

akili

Postby akili » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:29 pm

heckyes wrote:officially dinged by University of Washington today....

while this is vaguely upsetting....it also means I am putting my deposit down for lewis and clark today. yay!!!

Sorry about UW, but yay for L&C!

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:08 pm

heckyes wrote:officially dinged by University of Washington today....

+1, except the deposit on lewis and clark... still deciding. lol

Tuski

Postby Tuski » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:19 pm

OK, I think I've decided to go with the Modera (the cheapest of the 3 downtown hotels with L&C discounts). Here's my reasoning: Even though it'll be more to stay at the Modera than a cheaper hotel elsewhere, I figure I will save quite a bit of money by not needing to rent a car/take cabs, etc, which will even it out somewhat. Though, ultimately it will still be a little more $, I think I can justify that for the sake of convenience, and all the reasons I mentioned earlier. I never splurge on nice hotels, but with the discount and the travel reimbursement, it will still be a relatively cheap trip (and let's face it, broke as I think I am now, I'm probably in a better financial situation at the moment than I will be for the next 3+ years :shock: ) so I think this would be the time to do it. :mrgreen:

Haven't booked the room yet, so I could still be swayed toward another option - but for now this is what I'm thinking. :D

haider wrote:Let me know when you make a decision... because I need to as well and I want to know your reasoning... lol.

Tuski wrote:Yeah, on the one hand, I don't want to spend all that money, when I'm sure I could find a hotel for much cheaper, but on the other hand, I like the idea of the shuttle & walking distance from the reception (since I won't have my car with me), plus I think it would be cool to stay at a hotel with lots of other L&C admits. So yeah, I'm pretty indecisive right now...

jazzluvr

Postby jazzluvr » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:24 pm

People don't need to be concerned about cabs, etc. There's ALWAYS a shuttle from downtown to the campus, convenient to almost all the hotels. When I went to the Animal Law conference there in October, I stayed at the Mark Spencer with the discount (they don't seem to be offering it this time, but I spent the Spencer would still give it to you) and walked three blocks to the school shuttle in the mornings. I like the Mark Spencer. Simple but clean and very well-run...

pootie

Postby pootie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:28 pm

I'm staying at Hotel Modera and basically considered all of the same things you did...shuttle, travel reimbursement funds, other L&C students. Plus, I want to stay downtown since I've only been to Portland once and assumed that the location of a cheaper hotel wouldn't be as nice.

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:30 pm

Tuski wrote:OK, I think I've decided to go with the Modera (the cheapest of the 3 downtown hotels with L&C discounts). Here's my reasoning: Even though it'll be more to stay at the Modera than a cheaper hotel elsewhere, I figure I will save quite a bit of money by not needing to rent a car/take cabs, etc, which will even it out somewhat. Though, ultimately it will still be a little more $, I think I can justify that for the sake of convenience, and all the reasons I mentioned earlier. I never splurge on nice hotels, but with the discount and the travel reimbursement, it will still be a relatively cheap trip (and let's face it, broke as I think I am now, I'm probably in a better financial situation at the moment than I will be for the next 3+ years :shock: ) so I think this would be the time to do it. :mrgreen:

Haven't booked the room yet, so I could still be swayed toward another option - but for now this is what I'm thinking. :D

haider wrote:Let me know when you make a decision... because I need to as well and I want to know your reasoning... lol.

Tuski wrote:Yeah, on the one hand, I don't want to spend all that money, when I'm sure I could find a hotel for much cheaper, but on the other hand, I like the idea of the shuttle & walking distance from the reception (since I won't have my car with me), plus I think it would be cool to stay at a hotel with lots of other L&C admits. So yeah, I'm pretty indecisive right now...

The shuttle and bus distance between Modera and LC is slight, and the Modera is a kick-ass hotel, close to the food-carts downtown, and has AWESOME beds. I say go for it.

Tuski

Postby Tuski » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:34 pm

jazzluvr wrote:People don't need to be concerned about cabs, etc. There's ALWAYS a shuttle from downtown to the campus, convenient to almost all the hotels. When I went to the Animal Law conference there in October, I stayed at the Mark Spencer with the discount (they don't seem to be offering it this time, but I spent the Spencer would still give it to you) and walked three blocks to the school shuttle in the mornings. I like the Mark Spencer. Simple but clean and very well-run...

Thanks for the info. I will look into the Mark Spencer before I make a final decision.

Tho, when I mentioned transportation and convenience I wasn't only meaning to the LS events - how about for going out for drinks, dinner, etc.? I was assuming the downtown hotels would be walking-distance to plenty of things, whereas that wouldn't so much be the case with other hotels. Would it still be fairly easy to take public transport for things besides the law school stuff (I am not familiar with Portland)? Thx.

heckyes

Postby heckyes » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:42 pm

sarlis wrote:
+1, except the deposit on lewis and clark... still deciding. lol

do it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:55 pm

Tuski wrote:
jazzluvr wrote:People don't need to be concerned about cabs, etc. There's ALWAYS a shuttle from downtown to the campus, convenient to almost all the hotels. When I went to the Animal Law conference there in October, I stayed at the Mark Spencer with the discount (they don't seem to be offering it this time, but I spent the Spencer would still give it to you) and walked three blocks to the school shuttle in the mornings. I like the Mark Spencer. Simple but clean and very well-run...

Thanks for the info. I will look into the Mark Spencer before I make a final decision.

Tho, when I mentioned transportation and convenience I wasn't only meaning to the LS events - how about for going out for drinks, dinner, etc.? I was assuming the downtown hotels would be walking-distance to plenty of things, whereas that wouldn't so much be the case with other hotels. Would it still be fairly easy to take public transport for things besides the law school stuff (I am not familiar with Portland)? Thx.

Definitely. SE Portland is a bit more "happening" and you'd have to take a bus across the Ross Island, Burnside, or Broadway bridges, or take the MAX from Pioneer Square, but its doable. You can either walk or take the streetcar to NW 21st and 23rd, which has a bunch of cool places to eat, shop, and drink. Happy hour at 23 Hoyt is worth it, Serrato on NW 21st is killer food, especially for happy hour, and Papa Haydn's has KILLER desserts.

If you want to stay downtown, there are some decent bars and restaurants - I recommend Kenny and Zuke's Deli (AWESOME pastrami), or Typhoon for some good (but kinda pricey) Thai food. There is an abundance of stuff within walking distance or streetcar/bus distance.

Don't forget to hit up Powell's.

haider

Postby haider » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:13 pm

Thanks for the reasoning.... somehow I must have missed this L&C discount???? What's the cost of the room with the discount?

Tuski wrote:OK, I think I've decided to go with the Modera (the cheapest of the 3 downtown hotels with L&C discounts). Here's my reasoning: Even though it'll be more to stay at the Modera than a cheaper hotel elsewhere, I figure I will save quite a bit of money by not needing to rent a car/take cabs, etc, which will even it out somewhat. Though, ultimately it will still be a little more $, I think I can justify that for the sake of convenience, and all the reasons I mentioned earlier. I never splurge on nice hotels, but with the discount and the travel reimbursement, it will still be a relatively cheap trip (and let's face it, broke as I think I am now, I'm probably in a better financial situation at the moment than I will be for the next 3+ years :shock: ) so I think this would be the time to do it. :mrgreen:

gatorlion

Postby gatorlion » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:13 pm

I'll be at Modera's, too!

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:19 pm

Does anyone else think Lewis and Clark uses an inordinate amount of paper mailings in their admissions office?

I mean, aren't they #2 program-wise for environmental law?

jazzluvr

Postby jazzluvr » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:22 pm

Tuski wrote:

The Mark Spencer is right there, a couple blocks from Pioneer Square and right on the edge of the Pearl, a block away from Powell's Books. When I stayed there it was $100 a night including tax, w the L&C discount. They include a buffet breakfast that's amazing - bowls of fruit you can take with you, yogurts, cereals, hard-boiled eggs, pastries, juices, coffee, etc. etc. etc.

Tuski

Postby Tuski » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:28 pm

I don't have the info in front of me, but I believe it was $109 (for a king) $119 (for double queens). They gave the number to call, and mention you're with L&C. I found it on L&C's admitted students website - in the info for the preview day it gave lodging suggestions, and if you clicked on the Hotel Modera, it brings up a flyer that has the info.

haider wrote:Thanks for the reasoning.... somehow I must have missed this L&C discount???? What's the cost of the room with the discount?

gatorlion

Postby gatorlion » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:30 pm

UPDATE: Modera is completely booked for the night of March 18th. They only have suites available for $189. I can't imagine they sold out due to L&C students, so there must be another big event going down. In any case, we have to look at one of the other options.

UPDATE 2: The Paramount Hotel appears to be booked for the night of March 18th as well.
Last edited by gatorlion on Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tuski

Postby Tuski » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:34 pm

gatorlion wrote:UPDATE: Modera is completely booked for the night of March 18th. They only have suites available for $189. I can't imagine they sold out due to L&C students, so there must be another big event going down. In any case, we have to look at one of the other options.

Crap! Thanks for the info. Does anyone like the idea of checking out the Mark Spencer Jazzluvr suggested? I really don't want to pay more than what I was expecting to pay for Modera...

gatorlion

Postby gatorlion » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:55 pm

I made a reservation at the Avalon, which is almost equidistant from both the Alumni Reception at the River Place Hotel and the Law School. I reserved one king bedroom (hillside) for 1 night @ $145 (after taxes). HTH!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”