Lewis & Clark 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
zaw

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Postby zaw » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:57 pm

I had everything into them by 12/15. I planned to take the Feb LSAT, but told LC to proceed without the score. Hadn't heard anything as of Wed last week so I told them they might as well wait for the Feb LSAT.

Well... ended out not feeling very good about the test, and cancelled yesterday. LC knows and says my file is in line for review as of 2/9/10. I think I screwed myself and forfeited my place in line.

You think they looked at it once in the six + weeks they were sitting on it?

Headybrah

Postby Headybrah » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:49 pm

I was one of those people that got the "oh shit son we outta money" letters

I think anyone getting upset and letting that affect their decisions is silly. Its early in the game. Don't make an emotional decision for such an important choice in your life. They are giving me till late may to put down a deposit. Im going to wait it out, suck it up, go up there for admitted students weekend and see how I like it. Then I will decide if I want to wait it out or not. If I really like it I will follow up with a letter about how its the bees knees and I want in and the earlier they give me scholarship info the earlier I can drop a deposit their way.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:07 pm

A lot of people who applied early and got money will withdraw, opening up more funds.

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:52 pm

algren wrote:
ccs224 wrote:
Jerome wrote:
KraftEZ wrote:Got my acceptance package yesterday with a $5000 scholarship, much less than I was hoping for.

Is L&C known to be stingy on scholarships?

See above. Short answer: Yes, and mendacious.

I wouldn't say that they're being mendacious. My thought is that L&C simply threw its largest scholarships at early applicants with high numbers and a decent probability of attending, all in an attempt to seal the deal with students it wanted most. A lot of those students will probably end up elsewhere, and that will free up money for others; I doubt L&C will simply just make all that scholarship money disappear if its original targets decline.

This is probably accurate in my opinion.

However, I'm not sure why they would say, "we're out of money." Even if you ARE out of money, it doesn't really make anyone feel better or change the reality of the situation to say that. Even airing that information likely reduces the number of late cycle applicants, some of which could have great numbers.

By doing so, they basically made a lot of accepted candidates upset, appear to have contradicted themselves (whether that is actually the case or not, it is the perception), and just generally put a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

All the above is opinion not argument. I haven't even heard back from them yet, but I do feel for the recipients of those letters...

"Mendacious" may have been harsh. I still believe that the admissions letter was dishonest to some degree. The letter addressed to me regarding scholarships was dated January 26, 2010. It stated, in relevant part, "In fact you were evaluated as a potential scholarship recipient and I wanted to let you know what our current situation is in regard to scholarships. As things stand now we have awarded all the scholarship funds that were available for the 2010 entering class. [...] In late April we will have a better idea of how many of our current scholarship offers are likely to be taken. At that point we will know if there is any prospect of our having additional funds available for the Fall 2010 entering class."

Since then, other applicants have been accepted with scholarship awards. I am happy for them, although disappointed that I also was not awarded funds. Among them: an applicant with a letter dated February 5, with a 12,000 award; another with 5,000, letter date unknown, but received February 8. There surely have been others, too. This information leads me to think that:

(a) Suddenly more money was found to award merit aid.
(b) These students were accepted before me but the letters went out later on accident (which I presume is unlikely, but not impossible).
(c) The letter I received was dishonest at worst or inaccurate at best.

If (a), why were students accepted 1st not considered for that aid first, or at the very least, why would it not be allocated in April when the re-evaluations are supposedly slated to occur?

If (b), I have no complaint.

If (c), I stand by my claim.

I find it hard to believe that aid only went to students with high numbers and was not awarded to other considered candidates because their numbers were not high. LSN shows that applicants with low numbers received aid (2.9 w/ 45,000; 160, 2.87 w/ 12,000; etc.).

What motivation would the admissions committee have to tell applicants whom they considered for aid that "all the scholarship funds available for the 2010 entering class" have been awarded? When exposed as false, it could (and did) upset some potentially good candidates who may then choose, even if awarded aid later, to accept an offer at another peer school that wasn't dishonest. Also, reviewing these applicants again in April will practically guarantee that some students will either lose money by sending in deposits and then losing them if they choose to renege and attend LC after a late award, or that students who might have otherwise attended LC wont because aid was allocated too late in the cycle and decisions had to be made elsewhere.

TWoodWil wrote:
sophistry wrote:
Jerome wrote:
KraftEZ wrote:Got my acceptance package yesterday with a $5000 scholarship, much less than I was hoping for.

Is L&C known to be stingy on scholarships?

See above. Short answer: Yes, and mendacious.

Seriously. I can't imagine how those of you with the "out of scholarship funds" letter must feel right now.

The scholarships that people are seeing now could be from a different pool of funds than the general scholarship pool. For the sake of argument (and not knowing the facts of those that got the money) these could be diversity scholarships, needs-based sort of scholarships, special merit/conditions, etc. So there may be no more money left in general merit scholarships, but there could be some available in special funds for limited-availability scholarships.

Or they could just be toying with people. Only L&C really knows.

The letter I received (upon which I based my assertion) stated that all funds had been awarded. Additionally, the LC website notes that all the aid awarded initially is merit based aid (in many cases the school would not have FAFSA information yet, so need based determinations would have been highly unlikely). Certainly the funds could have been diversity based, but the statement in the letter would nonetheless be untrue.

This alone doesn't make my decision about whether to attend LC. If I get no money, I wont go because I could pay sticker at a better school as opposed to sticker at LC. If they gave me a substantial offer, I would seriously consider taking it. However, this certainly doesn't raise my level of excitement for the school.

All of that written, good job to all the applicants who were awarded aid, regardless of timing. I am indeed happy for all of you. I just wish I was amongst you.

yo!

Postby yo! » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:33 pm

Sending those letters definitely seems a bit shady and borderline unethical on their part, but they have the right to give out scholarships however they want. I honestly can't figure why they left me out. I proofread my app, it was solid. I discussed my interest in environmental law, mentioned the importance of scholarships in my essay, and made it clear that I wanted to go there. I know there is nothing wrong with me as an applicant because I got excellent offers from other schools. The only negative thing that I can think of is my high school disciplinary records, which have suspensions that were the result of a shit load of truancies. Honestly though, who would really care about that? As of right now, I'm definitely annoyed, but I would be very upset if I didn't have other offers.

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:43 pm

yo! wrote:Sending those letters definitely seems a bit shady and borderline unethical on their part, but they have the right to give out scholarships however they want. I honestly can't figure why they left me out. I proofread my app, it was solid. I discussed my interest in environmental law, mentioned the importance of scholarships in my essay, and made it clear that I wanted to go there. I know there is nothing wrong with me as an applicant because I got excellent offers from other schools. The only negative thing that I can think of is my high school disciplinary records, which have suspensions that were the result of a shit load of truancies. Honestly though, who would really care about that? As of right now, I'm definitely annoyed, but I would be very upset if I didn't have other offers.

I hear ya. I thought my app was solid, I (think) I has good softs and PS, etc.

yo!

Postby yo! » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:50 pm

Jerome wrote:
yo! wrote:Sending those letters definitely seems a bit shady and borderline unethical on their part, but they have the right to give out scholarships however they want. I honestly can't figure why they left me out. I proofread my app, it was solid. I discussed my interest in environmental law, mentioned the importance of scholarships in my essay, and made it clear that I wanted to go there. I know there is nothing wrong with me as an applicant because I got excellent offers from other schools. The only negative thing that I can think of is my high school disciplinary records, which have suspensions that were the result of a shit load of truancies. Honestly though, who would really care about that? As of right now, I'm definitely annoyed, but I would be very upset if I didn't have other offers.

Where will you be heading instead Jerome?

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:54 pm

yo! wrote:
Jerome wrote:

Not sure yet - Iowa probably, but Loyola Chicago is a possibility, especially if I can up my aid (which I think I can). I still am pending at 7 schools, and should hear in the next few weeks. I think I need to "get out of the LC bubble" for law school, too.

You?

yo!

Postby yo! » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:00 pm

Jerome wrote:
yo! wrote:
Jerome wrote:

Not sure yet - Iowa probably, but Loyola Chicago is a possibility, especially if I can up my aid (which I think I can). I still am pending at 7 schools, and should hear in the next few weeks. I think I need to "get out of the LC bubble" for law school, too.

You?

Still debating on UNLV vs Arizona, and still pending at 4 schools.

jazzluvr

Postby jazzluvr » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:03 pm

Headybrah wrote:I was one of those people that got the "oh shit son we outta money" letters

I think anyone getting upset and letting that affect their decisions is silly. Its early in the game. Don't make an emotional decision for such an important choice in your life. They are giving me till late may to put down a deposit. Im going to wait it out, suck it up, go up there for admitted students weekend and see how I like it. Then I will decide if I want to wait it out or not. If I really like it I will follow up with a letter about how its the bees knees and I want in and the earlier they give me scholarship info the earlier I can drop a deposit their way.

That's weird - YOUR deposit is due in late May? My letter says the first deposit of $300 is due by April 15 and the next one by June 15. WTF??? Are they giving different people different deadlines? I just got my acceptance a week ago. (No money.)

Shlonster

Postby Shlonster » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:33 pm

Jerome wrote:
"Mendacious" may have been harsh. I still believe that the admissions letter was dishonest to some degree. The letter addressed to me regarding scholarships was dated January 26, 2010. It stated, in relevant part, "In fact you were evaluated as a potential scholarship recipient and I wanted to let you know what our current situation is in regard to scholarships. As things stand now we have awarded all the scholarship funds that were available for the 2010 entering class. [...] In late April we will have a better idea of how many of our current scholarship offers are likely to be taken. At that point we will know if there is any prospect of our having additional funds available for the Fall 2010 entering class."

Since then, other applicants have been accepted with scholarship awards. I am happy for them, although disappointed that I also was not awarded funds. Among them: an applicant with a letter dated February 5, with a 12,000 award; another with 5,000, letter date unknown, but received February 8. There surely have been others, too. This information leads me to think that:

(a) Suddenly more money was found to award merit aid.
(b) These students were accepted before me but the letters went out later on accident (which I presume is unlikely, but not impossible).
(c) The letter I received was dishonest at worst or inaccurate at best.

If (a), why were students accepted 1st not considered for that aid first, or at the very least, why would it not be allocated in April when the re-evaluations are supposedly slated to occur?

If (b), I have no complaint.

If (c), I stand by my claim.

I find it hard to believe that aid only went to students with high numbers and was not awarded to other considered candidates because their numbers were not high. LSN shows that applicants with low numbers received aid (2.9 w/ 45,000; 160, 2.87 w/ 12,000; etc.).

What motivation would the admissions committee have to tell applicants whom they considered for aid that "all the scholarship funds available for the 2010 entering class" have been awarded? When exposed as false, it could (and did) upset some potentially good candidates who may then choose, even if awarded aid later, to accept an offer at another peer school that wasn't dishonest. Also, reviewing these applicants again in April will practically guarantee that some students will either lose money by sending in deposits and then losing them if they choose to renege and attend LC after a late award, or that students who might have otherwise attended LC wont because aid was allocated too late in the cycle and decisions had to be made elsewhere.

The scholarships that people are seeing now could be from a different pool of funds than the general scholarship pool. For the sake of argument (and not knowing the facts of those that got the money) these could be diversity scholarships, needs-based sort of scholarships, special merit/conditions, etc. So there may be no more money left in general merit scholarships, but there could be some available in special funds for limited-availability scholarships.

Or they could just be toying with people. Only L&C really knows.

The letter I received (upon which I based my assertion) stated that all funds had been awarded. Additionally, the LC website notes that all the aid awarded initially is merit based aid (in many cases the school would not have FAFSA information yet, so need based determinations would have been highly unlikely). Certainly the funds could have been diversity based, but the statement in the letter would nonetheless be untrue.

This alone doesn't make my decision about whether to attend LC. If I get no money, I wont go because I could pay sticker at a better school as opposed to sticker at LC. If they gave me a substantial offer, I would seriously consider taking it. However, this certainly doesn't raise my level of excitement for the school.

All of that written, good job to all the applicants who were awarded aid, regardless of timing. I am indeed happy for all of you. I just wish I was amongst you.

Ah, this accurately describes how I feel. I really thought I would get some money from them, and then seeing people post scholarships after I got the letter was frustrating. However, it's not hard for me to wait, still planning on hearing back from a load of schools, and I've got plenty of time. Plus, maybe they had some funds available, just not enough to truly give me what I deserve :lol: ..... teetering back and forth between annoyed and complacent.

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:40 pm

Opened my mailbox and found a large white envelope from the office of admissions. Inside was my acceptance lett- oh, wait. It's a brochure, telling me about all of L&C's great clinical programs.

:shock:

haider

Postby haider » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:11 am

phoenix323 wrote:Opened my mailbox and found a large white envelope from the office of admissions. Inside was my acceptance lett- oh, wait. It's a brochure, telling me about all of L&C's great clinical programs.

:shock:

same. :cry: :cry:

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:32 am

jazzluvr wrote:
Headybrah wrote:I was one of those people that got the "oh shit son we outta money" letters

That's weird - YOUR deposit is due in late May? My letter says the first deposit of $300 is due by April 15 and the next one by June 15. WTF??? Are they giving different people different deadlines? I just got my acceptance a week ago. (No money.)

To the above posters: Yeah, they used a poor chose of words when describing how they ran out of 'all' money. I think their intention was to indicate that they may want to give you a scholarship later on (which would also be why you have been given a later deposit deadline - mine, which came with a large scholarship, is still April) if the students they want a little more don't bite. It sucks if someone indicates that the might have given you money if they had any, then hands a few grand to another applicant, but the later deadline does seem to indicate that they are interested in having you and that you have a decent shot at funds if you're willing to wait it out.

To JazzieLuv: Yes, they got later dates, probably to keep them around a bit longer in case they are offered scholarships. It's an interesting strategy that I've never seen anywhere else before. I wonder how it will work out for L&C (because, after all, most other schools will require deposits earlier, regardless of what L&C does).

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:50 am

"They" did not get later dates - only one poster indicated as such. At least two of us, and I am guessing many more, have standard deposit dates. If their strategy was really to indicate to potential scholarship applicants that they may be considered in the future, they could (and should) have written something like "While we considered you as a scholarship recipient , we have decided at this time to not award you merit aid. Keep in mind, however, that we re-evaluate admitted students, such as yourself, for merit aid again in late April."

Additionally, the fact that they have handed out aid to other applicants with very similar numbers after some applicants got "the letter" would indicate that the "a potential future award is possible, so stick around" line of reasoning isn't terribly compelling.

jazzluvr

Postby jazzluvr » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:12 am

ccs224 wrote:
jazzluvr wrote:

To the above posters: Yeah, they used a poor chose of words when describing how they ran out of 'all' money. I think their intention was to indicate that they may want to give you a scholarship later on (which would also be why you have been given a later deposit deadline - mine, which came with a large scholarship, is still April) if the students they want a little more don't bite. It sucks if someone indicates that the might have given you money if they had any, then hands a few grand to another applicant, but the later deadline does seem to indicate that they are interested in having you and that you have a decent shot at funds if you're willing to wait it out.

To JazzieLuv: Yes, they got later dates, probably to keep them around a bit longer in case they are offered scholarships. It's an interesting strategy that I've never seen anywhere else before. I wonder how it will work out for L&C (because, after all, most other schools will require deposits earlier, regardless of what L&C does).

I just checked out your stats page. Pretty impressive. Wondering, though, about that letter you got from the L&C "student government" or whatever...(don't have your page in front of me so can't quote it exactly). I didn't get that. Did anyone else get something like that? I'm beginning to feel worse by the minute (no money, no mention that they even *considered* me for money - despite all my advanced degrees etc. - and now, no frigging letter from the student government! I'm soooo hurt!!!

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:24 am

jazzluvr wrote:
ccs224 wrote:
jazzluvr wrote:

I just checked out your stats page. Pretty impressive. Wondering, though, about that letter you got from the L&C "student government" or whatever...(don't have your page in front of me so can't quote it exactly). I didn't get that. Did anyone else get something like that? I'm beginning to feel worse by the minute (no money, no mention that they even *considered* me for money - despite all my advanced degrees etc. - and now, no frigging letter from the student government! I'm soooo hurt!!!

Thanks. I actually did get that letter, and it was how I found out I got in to L&C (as my mail has been FUBAR this winter). My guess is that one went out only though, around January or so (have there been newer ones?).

When did you apply, JL? I applied pretty early (11/4 to be exact), and think that this, along with a history of PI and environmental work, had more to due with getting a scholarship than my numbers did.

I don't want to be an L&C defender, but I would find it hard to believe that they are accepting people then purposefully giving them the cold shoulder. Just doesn't make sense to me.

jazzluvr

Postby jazzluvr » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:41 am

ccs224,

I applied in early Oct. and went complete later that month. So it's not a matter of dates. Thanks for trying to spare my feelings, though. :-)

I do have killer softs...but oh, well....

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:11 am

jazzluvr wrote:ccs224,

I applied in early Oct. and went complete later that month. So it's not a matter of dates. Thanks for trying to spare my feelings, though. :-)

I do have killer softs...but oh, well....

Yeah, dunno what to tell you then. I would say, though, that you probably wouldn't be hurt by writing a letter expressing your interest and making the case for deserving a scholarship. At best, it may sway them some more when/if they actually do reassess their scholarship situation, at worst they will probably leave it as is. (Correct me if I'm wrong, TLS).

lt0826

Postby lt0826 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:30 am

sophistry wrote:
Seriously. I can't imagine how those of you with the "out of scholarship funds" letter must feel right now.

I don't like the lie that they are out of money. Seems worse than just saying that at this time they aren't able to offer you one and leaving the reasons vague. It would make me that much more inclined to not attend if they told me "out of $$" and then I see other people getting $$ then if they just told the truth. Not everyone gets a scholarship, we get that.

beepermad

Postby beepermad » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:59 am

lt0826 wrote:
sophistry wrote:

I don't like the lie that they are out of money. Seems worse than just saying that at this time they aren't able to offer you one and leaving the reasons vague. It would make me that much more inclined to not attend if they told me "out of $$" and then I see other people getting $$ then if they just told the truth. Not everyone gets a scholarship, we get that.

This happened last year, too.

Just sayin'.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:10 am

Withdrew recently: had a pretty large scholarship. Hope this helps! For whatever it's worth, I think Lewis and Clark is a great school doing the best it can to be open with applicants about their scholarship situation. In any case, what's the use in speculating otherwise?

Best of luck! :D

SamSeaborn2016

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:57 pm

I'm another one of the folks that didn't get any scholly money. My acceptance letter made no mention of it either. I wasn't surprised, though. My LSAT may have warranted a little money but my GPA surely didn't. Also, I live nearby and talked in detail of my desire to remain in the NW. They probably figured I was a lock so they didn't need to throw money at me. And truthfully, I will most likely be attending. I'm torn between American and Lewis & Clark but American isn't throwing money at me either and DC has a significantly higher cost of living.
Last edited by SamSeaborn2016 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heckyes

Postby heckyes » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:32 pm

Sooo...I spoke with lewis and clark on Monday and they said they would have a decision for me very soon.

I had tried... (on monday) to log into the "admitted students" section of their website, and it didn't work....

I tried today and it allowed me to log in.

Can I accept this as proof of admission? Or should I just pretend nothing happened until I get the snail mail decision?

Congratulations to everyone who has heard!

TWoodWil

Postby TWoodWil » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:54 pm

heckyes wrote:Sooo...I spoke with lewis and clark on Monday and they said they would have a decision for me very soon.

I had tried... (on monday) to log into the "admitted students" section of their website, and it didn't work....

I tried today and it allowed me to log in.

Can I accept this as proof of admission? Or should I just pretend nothing happened until I get the snail mail decision?

Congratulations to everyone who has heard!

I didn't even see that there was an admitted students section until I read your message. I gave it a try and I was able to get in as well (Application File Complete - 2/5). No idea what to make of it - there's not really anything in the Admitted Students pages that specifically says that you're actually admitted.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”