Lewis & Clark 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Jerome

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Postby Jerome » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:16 am

barrydukakis wrote:Dang, ASD is the same as Washington and Lee's. I think I will just try and schedule something with them the week before. I want to show them I am serious about possibly attending LC

Weird that they are sending conflicting messages about $, maybe by date of application or something?

This may sound bitter, but if you have an admit to W&L, take it over LC. W&L is substantially better.

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:17 am

So I'm guessing there's no chance in hell I'd get money since my app has been held for further review until April or May.

barrydukakis

Postby barrydukakis » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:33 am

Hey Jerome,

I'm not sure because I'd really like to practice in the Pacific NW, possibly right in Portland. But W+L offered me substantially more than LC, which I find perplexing. Maybe a $ yield protect? I'm not sure. I even wrote the additional scholarship essay at LC, but they did not offer me what I was hoping for.

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:37 am

barrydukakis wrote:Hey Jerome,

I'm not sure because I'd really like to practice in the Pacific NW, possibly right in Portland. But W+L offered me substantially more than LC, which I find perplexing. Maybe a $ yield protect? I'm not sure. I even wrote the additional scholarship essay at LC, but they did not offer me what I was hoping for.

Fair enough. LC's scholly policies have been very bizarre. I know the school is tight on money right now, but their decisions towards scholarships, and their communication to admitted students about them, have been poor, IMO.

I would also like to practice in Portland, very much so actually, but I would take a better school with more scholarship money than I would a lower-ranked school that gives less cash. Nothing prevents you from seeking (and finding) a job in Portland with a degree from a very good east coast school.

That written, if LC is where you really want to end up, I'd send them a letter stating that you very much want to attend, would like to benefit from their _____ program, plan to make a career in the PNW, but financial considerations are a grave concern; W&L has given you substantially more money, they are a higher ranked school, and you would commit to LC if they matched the W&L award.

Good luck.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:42 am

I was complete as of 1/6. When I logged onto L&C status check this morning: Updated to say complete as of 2/8.

Can I divine anything from this?

algren

Postby algren » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:53 am

ozarkhack wrote:I was complete as of 1/6. When I logged onto L&C status check this morning: Updated to say complete as of 2/8.

Can I divine anything from this?

I would say no. It's happened to a lot of us, and more than once in some cases, with no measurable result.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:57 am

Received the acceptance letter yesterday, it was mailed February 5th. $12K scholarship with a 2.95 requirement.

sophistry

Postby sophistry » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:36 pm

JOThompson wrote:Received the acceptance letter yesterday, it was mailed February 5th. $12K scholarship with a 2.95 requirement.

Congrats! That's what I'm hoping to find today when I get home.

Did your status checker date change? And if you don't mind, stats?

lawgirl99

Postby lawgirl99 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:43 pm

My status checker just updated to 2/9. I hope this means a decision soon. It could also just mean that they added my LOCI to my file which I sent them yesterday. Ideas anyone??

algren

Postby algren » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:50 pm

lawgirl99 wrote:My status checker just updated to 2/9. I hope this means a decision soon. It could also just mean that they added my LOCI to my file which I sent them yesterday. Ideas anyone??

My theory is that they update it whenever they do anything (LOCI, file review, scholly consideration, file review, etc...). It doesn't necessarily guarantee a result. Mine has been updated twice since the initial and actual completion date and I haven't heard a peep.

Also, seems like everyone is getting letters before any usable information is discerned from the ASO page.

lawgirl99

Postby lawgirl99 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:56 pm

algren wrote:
lawgirl99 wrote:My status checker just updated to 2/9. I hope this means a decision soon. It could also just mean that they added my LOCI to my file which I sent them yesterday. Ideas anyone??

My theory is that they update it whenever they do anything (LOCI, file review, scholly consideration, file review, etc...). It doesn't necessarily guarantee a result. Mine has been updated twice since the initial and actual completion date and I haven't heard a peep.

Also, seems like everyone is getting letters before any usable information is discerned from the ASO page.

Thanks for the info. I figured it probably just meant that they updated my file. I hope I find out soon if I am admitted. I'd like to go to ASD, even though I could probably only make it for friday.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:58 pm

sophistry wrote:
JOThompson wrote:Received the acceptance letter yesterday, it was mailed February 5th. $12K scholarship with a 2.95 requirement.

Congrats! That's what I'm hoping to find today when I get home.

Did your status checker date change? And if you don't mind, stats?

My status checker is still Complete, since 01/28. PM'd stats to you.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:00 pm

algren wrote:My theory is that they update it whenever they do anything (LOCI, file review, scholly consideration, file review, etc...). It doesn't necessarily guarantee a result. Mine has been updated twice since the initial and actual completion date and I haven't heard a peep.

Well, shit.

Good to know. Thanks.

algren

Postby algren » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:15 pm

lawgirl99 wrote:I hope I find out soon if I am admitted. I'd like to go to ASD, even though I could probably only make it for friday.

Ditto. I'd love to go ASD and get the lay of the land out there.

ozarkhack wrote:Well, shit.

TITCR

KraftEZ

Postby KraftEZ » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:17 pm

Got my acceptance package yesterday with a $5000 scholarship, much less than I was hoping for.

Is L&C known to be stingy on scholarships?

beepermad

Postby beepermad » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:19 pm

Completion date changed to 2/9! My delusional ass would like to think that means something. Yesssss.

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:45 pm

KraftEZ wrote:Got my acceptance package yesterday with a $5000 scholarship, much less than I was hoping for.

See above. Short answer: Yes, and mendacious.

sophistry

Postby sophistry » Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:59 pm

Jerome wrote:
KraftEZ wrote:Got my acceptance package yesterday with a $5000 scholarship, much less than I was hoping for.

Seriously. I can't imagine how those of you with the "out of scholarship funds" letter must feel right now.

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:08 pm

sophistry wrote:
Jerome wrote:

Seriously. I can't imagine how those of you with the "out of scholarship funds" letter must feel right now.

Pissed, basically. Especially as an alum with 15k from Loyola - Chicago.

TWoodWil

Postby TWoodWil » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:19 pm

sophistry wrote:
Jerome wrote:

The scholarships that people are seeing now could be from a different pool of funds than the general scholarship pool. For the sake of argument (and not knowing the facts of those that got the money) these could be diversity scholarships, needs-based sort of scholarships, special merit/conditions, etc. So there may be no more money left in general merit scholarships, but there could be some available in special funds for limited-availability scholarships.

Or they could just be toying with people. Only L&C really knows.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:39 pm

Jerome wrote:

I wouldn't say that they're being mendacious. My thought is that L&C simply threw its largest scholarships at early applicants with high numbers and a decent probability of attending, all in an attempt to seal the deal with students it wanted most. A lot of those students will probably end up elsewhere, and that will free up money for others; I doubt L&C will simply just make all that scholarship money disappear if its original targets decline.

algren

Postby algren » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:47 pm

ccs224 wrote:
Jerome wrote:

I wouldn't say that they're being mendacious. My thought is that L&C simply threw its largest scholarships at early applicants with high numbers and a decent probability of attending, all in an attempt to seal the deal with students it wanted most. A lot of those students will probably end up elsewhere, and that will free up money for others; I doubt L&C will simply just make all that scholarship money disappear if its original targets decline.

This is probably accurate in my opinion.

However, I'm not sure why they would say, "we're out of money." Even if you ARE out of money, it doesn't really make anyone feel better or change the reality of the situation to say that. Even airing that information likely reduces the number of late cycle applicants, some of which could have great numbers.

By doing so, they basically made a lot of accepted candidates upset, appear to have contradicted themselves (whether that is actually the case or not, it is the perception), and just generally put a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

All the above is opinion not argument. I haven't even heard back from them yet, but I do feel for the recipients of those letters...

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:54 pm

although neither of them are too appealing, id rather take

"sorry we are over budget at the moment and are unable to offer you any scholarship money. In the near future, we anticipate that we will be able offer you more funds as other candidates withdraw their admissions"

over

"Youre in, but you do not qualify for merit based financial aid"

EDIT: this is an odd cycle, and its likely that a lot of people applied early to L&C as a safety with great numbers and the scholarship fund just got maxed out earlier than usual

sophistry

Postby sophistry » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:07 pm

sdegarmo wrote:although neither of them are too appealing, id rather take

"sorry we are over budget at the moment and are unable to offer you any scholarship money. In the near future, we anticipate that we will be able offer you more funds as other candidates withdraw their admissions"

over

"Youre in, but you do not qualify for merit based financial aid"

EDIT: this is an odd cycle, and its likely that a lot of people applied early to L&C as a safety with great numbers and the scholarship fund just got maxed out earlier than usual

Based on numbers alone, it seems that some people who did qualify for merit aid did not get it (but got the "over budget" letter), and some folks with similar or lower numbers did get aid. I don't mind L&C choosing their favorite applicants and throwing money at them, but I do mind them telling people they are out of funds if they aren't. It may be that they are drawing from a different pool of funds as ccs224 suggested, however.

I'm also waiting on my acceptance letter, so I have no particular bone to pick with them.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:16 pm

algren wrote:
ccs224 wrote:
Jerome wrote:

This is probably accurate in my opinion.

However, I'm not sure why they would say, "we're out of money." Even if you ARE out of money, it doesn't really make anyone feel better or change the reality of the situation to say that. Even airing that information likely reduces the number of late cycle applicants, some of which could have great numbers.

By doing so, they basically made a lot of accepted candidates upset, appear to have contradicted themselves (whether that is actually the case or not, it is the perception), and just generally put a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

All the above is opinion not argument. I haven't even heard back from them yet, but I do feel for the recipients of those letters...

I do agree that it is a bit stupid to say "We are out of money, but..." when they could just as easily state "We are unable to offer scholarships at the moment, but will make more scholarship funds available around April, so stay tuned..." They would probably get more people to hang on that way, but that might not be what they want.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”