Lewis & Clark 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
yo!

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Postby yo! » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:18 am

Headybrah wrote:CONGRATS Yo!

anyone have any idea where they might be staying for admitted student day?

I asked for some sort of visiting stipend and was denied...

I guess they don't like us :roll: . I was going to ask for the travel $, but I guess I won't bother. Hopefully I can attend the ASD and figure out the scholarship situation. I will probably be able to negotiate something though. I got full tuition at a similarly ranked school. I also got 15k per year at san diego which is the same price and rank. I need a minimum of 15k per year at L&C to consider turning down full tuition at UNLV, or even Davis at sticker (if I get in).

Headybrah

Postby Headybrah » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:24 am

Id be happy with 12,000 at Lewis and Clark...

cost of living in portland cant be too much

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:56 am

Headybrah wrote:Id be happy with 12,000 at Lewis and Clark...

cost of living in portland cant be too much

Depending on where you live, it isn't too bad. I shared a 4 bedroom house with 3 other people, about 5 minute drive from LC for 1750. And the house was awesome - wood floors, granite counters, energy efficient everything. Then, you could live on Hawthorne and spend that for a two bedroom, or in the Peal and spend that on a one bedroom.

I'd also be happy with 12k. Loyola Chicago gave me 15k, and they're similar enough, and I'm an LC alum, so I'm hoping for some love.

Tuski wrote:
Jerome wrote:
Headybrah wrote:considering making the drive from SF - figured it could help convince them I am serious and deserve $.

Plus portland is sweet

Agreed.

Agreed.

Portland is sweet. I'll be out there, I think. And I will be hitting my favorite beer spots, so if anyone who doesn't know PDX wants a beer-tour...

Delayed response... but I'll be there, and a beer-tour would be awesome!

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:02 am

Headybrah wrote:CONGRATS Yo!

anyone have any idea where they might be staying for admitted student day?

I asked for some sort of visiting stipend and was denied...

I'd check out the Lake Oswego Crowne Plaza (LC discount, but in a boring spot, but also close to LC), or for a cooler place Hotel Modera or The Jupiter Hotel.

TWoodWil

Postby TWoodWil » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:36 pm

Current status updated again to 2/5

gatorlion

Postby gatorlion » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:15 pm

TWoodWil wrote:Current status updated again to 2/5

+1 Hope it means something good this way comes...

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:47 pm

+1.

jazzluvr

Postby jazzluvr » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:23 pm

I'm in - just got the packet on Saturday. No money, though, none at all. :-( That's probably cuz I'm older and also was towards the bottom of their LSAT range, even though I have advanced degrees...I suck at standardized tests...

algren

Postby algren » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:40 pm

Updated to 2/4 here.

FUMAgrad05

Postby FUMAgrad05 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:54 pm

2.51/166, Upward trend, great LORs and work though college... any thoughts on my chances?

yo!

Postby yo! » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:55 pm

I will be withdrawing on Monday. I have received some great offers over the past week that make chasing scholarship money at L&C seem like a waste of time. I loved the idea of living in Portland, but I like my other options better. Hopefully this opens up a spot for a TLS'er! Good luck everyone!

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:16 am

yo! wrote:I will be withdrawing on Monday. I have received some great offers over the past week that make chasing scholarship money at L&C seem like a waste of time. I loved the idea of living in Portland, but I like my other options better. Hopefully this opens up a spot for a TLS'er! Good luck everyone!

Sad to hear it, yo! Where will be you heading instead?

algren

Postby algren » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:42 pm

ccs224 wrote:
yo! wrote:I will be withdrawing on Monday. I have received some great offers over the past week that make chasing scholarship money at L&C seem like a waste of time. I loved the idea of living in Portland, but I like my other options better. Hopefully this opens up a spot for a TLS'er! Good luck everyone!

+1 Best of luck yo!

jazzluvr

Postby jazzluvr » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:48 pm

Just curious, is anyone here considering L&C as a full ride? I am. But last night I read the article someone posted (in another thread) arguing that it's best to go to a school where your stats are below the median so you get money and don't go into debt. Others here repeatedly say anything below T14 is not worth full ride.

How true is that? Particularly, in the case of L&C? I don't want biglaw, I'm older/non-trad (how much older I'd rather not say because you'd all jump out of your skin), won't go into debt but still would be spending a substantial portion of my non-so-substantial nest egg at this age, so I don't need to make a lot of money afterwards. But do need to get SOME sort of job. L&C's employment stats look pretty good (the same article mapped them out for all the schools in the country).

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:27 pm

jazzluvr wrote:Just curious, is anyone here considering L&C as a full ride? I am. But last night I read the article someone posted (in another thread) arguing that it's best to go to a school where your stats are below the median so you get money and don't go into debt. Others here repeatedly say anything below T14 is not worth full ride.

How true is that? Particularly, in the case of L&C? I don't want biglaw, I'm older/non-trad (how much older I'd rather not say because you'd all jump out of your skin), won't go into debt but still would be spending a substantial portion of my non-so-substantial nest egg at this age, so I don't need to make a lot of money afterwards. But do need to get SOME sort of job. L&C's employment stats look pretty good (the same article mapped them out for all the schools in the country).

It depends on where you want to practice, and how much money other schools are willing to give you.

jazzluvr

Postby jazzluvr » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:42 pm

Jerome wrote:
jazzluvr wrote:Just curious, is anyone here considering L&C as a full ride? I am. But last night I read the article someone posted (in another thread) arguing that it's best to go to a school where your stats are below the median so you get money and don't go into debt. Others here repeatedly say anything below T14 is not worth full ride.

It depends on where you want to practice, and how much money other schools are willing to give you.

I haven't been offered any money anywhere. I didn't realize the strategy of applying to lower-level schools in order to get money (I thought it was just as a fallback for admission, and I was pretty sure I'd be admitted to the two places I applied to). I'm happy to stay in Portland after school and practice there, even though I'm from CA, especially since I dread moving (twice) with my retinue of pets, buying and selling real estate twice, etc. That's assuming I can deal with the rain...

yo!

Postby yo! » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:51 pm

ccs224 wrote:

Thanks, and good luck everyone! This thread has been fun. I'm choosing between:

1)16K per year at the University if Arizona with no GPA requirement. So it willl basically cost me 20k per year assuming OOS tuition (not sure if I can get residency). I will graduate with a little bit of debt, but I will be at a T1 school with great prospects in the southwest.

2)Full tuition scholarship at University of Nevada-Las Vegas with a top 33% requirement for renewal. Since I know I can get residency, my worst case scenario is that I pay resident tuition for the last 2 years (currently only 20k). A very nice offer, but I like guaranteed money. One good thing about Vegas is that my wife's employer (American Medical Response) is hiring Paramedics like crazy, so my wife could easily transfer and not have the trouble of job searching.

3) Whatever UC Davis will give me. I haven't heard from them yet, but I live close and can't give up on my top choice just yet.

It is a tough decision that would only be complicated by leaving L&C on the table. I thought I would get a pretty good offer from L&C, but I never thought that I would get such good offers from Vegas and Arizona. I guess I got it completely backwards. I'm also still waiting to hear from some other schools, so who knows what will happen? Here is a link to my LSN profile. http://lawschoolnumbers.com/XApplicantX Good luck everyone and I hope those that attend L&C have a great time!

sophistry

Postby sophistry » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:58 pm

Understandable, especially considering that great UNLV offer!

Speaking of "chasing scholarship money at L&C," does anyone know how this works and how much they distribute? That is, has anyone heard from admissions or a 1L on how much they traditionally give out during the August "redistribution." The pessimist in me is worried that they'll throw around a few token scholarships but generally hold on to the returning scholarships.

Jerome

Postby Jerome » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:00 pm

sophistry wrote:

Understandable, especially considering that great UNLV offer!

Speaking of "chasing scholarship money at L&C," does anyone know how this works and how much they distribute? That is, has anyone heard from admissions or a 1L on how much they traditionally give out during the August "redistribution." The pessimist in me is worried that they'll throw around a few token scholarships but generally hold on to the passed-up scholarships.

I know that LC doesn't have a lot of institutional cash as of late, so I wouldn't hold out hope. A LOCI may help to bump your name up the list.

For what it's worth, I'm withdrawing, so I wont be competing with you for aid.

Chudancha

Postby Chudancha » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:40 pm

So i got a big envelope in the mail today from L & C. Inside was a letter about their program and a little booklet about practical legal skills. None of which contained an acceptance or a rejection.

What sort of cruel joke is this?

yo!

Postby yo! » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:17 pm

Chudancha wrote:So i got a big envelope in the mail today from L & C. Inside was a letter about their program and a little booklet about practical legal skills. None of which contained an acceptance or a rejection.

What sort of cruel joke is this?

That is cold! L&C is notorious for this type of thing, so annoying!

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:19 pm

Just withdrew today; they got back to me almost immediately with a very polite email. Good luck to everyone else!

sophistry

Postby sophistry » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:21 pm

BenJ wrote:Just withdrew today; they got back to me almost immediately with a very polite email. Good luck to everyone else!

Appreciated!

OHCHI

Postby OHCHI » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:58 pm

Just got in today via snail mail....I am sooooo excited...unfortunately i have to contain my excitement while at work :lol:

TWoodWil

Postby TWoodWil » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:00 pm

OHCHI wrote:Just got in today via snail mail....I am sooooo excited...unfortunately i have to contain my excitement while at work :lol:

What is the last date your status checker updated to?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”