Lewis & Clark 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sophistry

Bronze

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Post by sophistry » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:29 pm

Jerome wrote:
roguey wrote:Whew... I almost cried. But good to know about the veggie & vegan options though!! Then again, I doubt there are many veg restaurants that are also gluten-free... so I'm still going to be at home cooking :)
You'd actually be surprised. Down the road from LC you'll find New Seasons (basically a way cooler, local Whole Foods) with a great deli with some great vegan/gluten-free options. And there are also a few pizza places with gluten free crust. Food wise, Portland has pretty much everything. Except good Chinese food for some reason.

Edit: I'm a total Portland hypster. apologies.
+1. Portland has a lot of food options, be it for gluten free, raw food, vegan, or organic meats. Also beer. Good beer.

For what it's worth Jerome, I hope you stick around.

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:31 pm

sophistry wrote:
Jerome wrote:
roguey wrote:Whew... I almost cried. But good to know about the veggie & vegan options though!! Then again, I doubt there are many veg restaurants that are also gluten-free... so I'm still going to be at home cooking :)
You'd actually be surprised. Down the road from LC you'll find New Seasons (basically a way cooler, local Whole Foods) with a great deli with some great vegan/gluten-free options. And there are also a few pizza places with gluten free crust. Food wise, Portland has pretty much everything. Except good Chinese food for some reason.

Edit: I'm a total Portland hypster. apologies.
+1. Portland has a lot of food options, be it for gluten free, raw food, vegan, or organic meats. Also beer. Good beer.

For what it's worth Jerome, I hope you stick around.
Gracias. I just think you should be corrected - Portland doesn't have good beer. It has STELLAR beer. I miss it so much. Although Colorado ain't bad in that department.

roguey

Bronze

Post by roguey » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:27 pm

See... I knew I applied for a reason... now if they'll just admit me already!!!

ephemeral

New

Post by ephemeral » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:55 pm

I have a final on Law School Preview Day :(

Boo. I would've really liked to check out the school then...

austinite13

New

Post by austinite13 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:14 pm

If any of you are familiar with Portland could you tell me about the Sellwood-Moreland area and is that a do-able commute to Lewis & Clark? My friend says that we would want to live in SE Portland. Any thoughts on neighborhoods would be great. I am married and have two kids so am looking for family friendly. The schools seem to be good in Sellwood.

Thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

totebags

New

Post by totebags » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:18 pm

austinite13 wrote:If any of you are familiar with Portland could you tell me about the Sellwood-Moreland area and is that a do-able commute to Lewis & Clark? My friend says that we would want to live in SE Portland. Any thoughts on neighborhoods would be great. I am married and have two kids so am looking for family friendly. The schools seem to be good in Sellwood.

Thanks.
I'm not a Portland expert, but I love Sellwood. My grandfather grew up there, and I still have family in the area. My best friend, who went to L&C for undergrad, lived there for a few years. Most of her friends lived there and would commute to campus everyday. As I recall, there was a bus between Sellwood and the school, but I think that it doesn't exist anymore.

ETA: I just realized that I didn't say anything substantive. You'll just have to check it out. It's really quaint, has a row of antique shops, friendly neighbors, a nice grocery store, etc.
Last edited by totebags on Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

haider

New

Post by haider » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:27 pm

austinite13 wrote:If any of you are familiar with Portland could you tell me about the Sellwood-Moreland area and is that a do-able commute to Lewis & Clark? My friend says that we would want to live in SE Portland. Any thoughts on neighborhoods would be great. I am married and have two kids so am looking for family friendly. The schools seem to be good in Sellwood.

Thanks.

I don't know Portland very well at all, but I found the admit student page to be really helpful for things like this.
http://law.lclark.edu/inside/
it has a graph of where most students lived, a brief description of each neighborhood and available listings. I'd suggest snooping around on there under housing (on the right).

bluetomato

New

Post by bluetomato » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:00 am

Thanks.
FYI a real estate agent cautioned me against living in Sellwood because they are going to be working on the bridge (major work for 2-3 years). What would normally be an easy commute is going to be made much harder - only one lane open during rush hour, etc. You might love the area enough to deal with the traffic, but I would keep that in mind.

Edited to add a link to the construction project (it's actually not supposed to start until 2012):
http://www.sellwoodbridge.org/

sophistry

Bronze

Post by sophistry » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:22 am

bluetomato wrote:
FYI a real estate agent cautioned me against living in Sellwood because they are going to be working on the bridge (major work for 2-3 years). What would normally be an easy commute is going to be made much harder - only one lane open during rush hour, etc. You might love the area enough to deal with the traffic, but I would keep that in mind.

Edited to add a link to the construction project (it's actually not supposed to start until 2012):
Thanks for the link. Since they say the construction won't begin until late 2012, and since Oregon is currently pretty broke, I'm guessing we won't see construction until 2013 or later. Unless you're buying a house in Sellwood, you might not need to worry so much. Besides, in the last year of law school you likely won't be heading to campus as much anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Campagnolo

Silver

Post by Campagnolo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:31 am

sophistry wrote:
bluetomato wrote:

Thanks for the link. Since they say the construction won't begin until late 2012, and since Oregon is currently pretty broke, I'm guessing we won't see construction until 2013 or later. Unless you're buying a house in Sellwood, you might not need to worry so much. Besides, in the last year of law school you likely won't be heading to campus as much anyway.
Don't worry about the bridges. We have more here than you can shake a stick at. I would also check out the Garden Home area in SW PDX. It's a nice little neighborhood.

If Sellwood is what you want, it's great. In fact, most neighborhoods on the east side are pretty slick. They all have their own feel to them.

Just don't live in FoPo (called Felony Flats)

Here is a neighborhood map: http://www.portlandonline.com/ONI/index.cfm?c=35788&

I would definitely call the school and ask if the bus service still runs between SE and L & C. They were talking about discontinuing it, and TriMet (our public trans. system) has a major budget shortfall projected for next year.

Campagnolo

Silver

Post by Campagnolo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:33 am

Feel free to ask me any questions. I'm a PDX native and live about 10 minutes from Lewis & Clark.

sophistry

Bronze

Post by sophistry » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:37 am

And just fyi re Sellwood Bridge (from the Sellwood Bridge Project page):

"How soon will construction start?
Construction can begin after the Federal Highway Administration issues a Record of Decision, right-of-way is purchased, and design work is complete. The chosen project delivery method could help determine when construction begins. A decision on that will happen this spring. Construction is expected to begin in 2012. "

We'll know by this spring/summer when construction will begin. I'd be surprised if they stick with 2012.

sophistry

Bronze

Post by sophistry » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:19 pm

Campagnolo wrote:Feel free to ask me any questions. I'm a PDX native and live about 10 minutes from Lewis & Clark.
How is biking around and to/from L&C? I know NE, SE and downtown pretty well, but I haven't explored that area much.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:27 pm

sophistry wrote:
Campagnolo wrote:Feel free to ask me any questions. I'm a PDX native and live about 10 minutes from Lewis & Clark.
How is biking around and to/from L&C? I know NE, SE and downtown pretty well, but I haven't explored that area much.
Common.

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:28 pm

Campagnolo wrote:
sophistry wrote:
bluetomato wrote:

Don't worry about the bridges. We have more here than you can shake a stick at. I would also check out the Garden Home area in SW PDX. It's a nice little neighborhood.

If Sellwood is what you want, it's great. In fact, most neighborhoods on the east side are pretty slick. They all have their own feel to them.

Just don't live in FoPo (called Felony Flats)

Here is a neighborhood map: http://www.portlandonline.com/ONI/index.cfm?c=35788&

I would definitely call the school and ask if the bus service still runs between SE and L & C. They were talking about discontinuing it, and TriMet (our public trans. system) has a major budget shortfall projected for next year.
Garden home is pretty great. I add to that Multnomah Village if you want to stay SW.

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:45 pm

I would say that SW and just the westside in general would be most convenient for commuting. SE has wonderful communities and the Hawthorne district in particular has a liberal/college town feel to it but they aren't most convenient for getting to L&C.

Since L&C has the shuttle that runs to Pioneer Courthouse Square and their downtown clinic, you can get up to the campus pretty easily from anywhere as long as you are willing to use the MAX or buses. Beats paying for a car/gas/insurance or biking in the drizzle anyway.

jazzluvr

New

Post by jazzluvr » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:09 pm

Campagnolo,

How is St. John's Landing? The architecture looks sweeter there than immediately surrounding the school, but a crime map showed some recent burglaries in the area. I'm looking into buying a house (after selling my ridiculously expensive small house in CA I'll be able to afford tuition!) My agent has also sent me some links to houses about three miles north of the school, also very cute, sort of near the river and the freeway - they're Victorians, Craftsmen, etc. How are those areas for charm, crime, etc.?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:12 pm

SamSeaborn2016 wrote:I would say that SW and just the westside in general would be most convenient for commuting. SE has wonderful communities and the Hawthorne district in particular has a liberal/college town feel to it but they aren't most convenient for getting to L&C.

Since L&C has the shuttle that runs to Pioneer Courthouse Square and their downtown clinic, you can get up to the campus pretty easily from anywhere as long as you are willing to use the MAX or buses. Beats paying for a car/gas/insurance or biking in the drizzle anyway.
Am I crazy for wanting to commute from Newberg every day? :(

austinite13

New

Post by austinite13 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:33 pm

Thank you for all the great information. We are coming out for the Preview Day and staying a few extra days to get the lay of the land. I am excited because it looks like you don't have to live in the suburbs as far as schools for the kids. That is a major plus and there seems to be a lot of neighborhood options.

I may have some more questions as I research a bit more.

jazzluvr

New

Post by jazzluvr » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:42 pm

Here's an entertaining review of the school on Yelp:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/lewis-and-clark ... l-portland

sophistry

Bronze

Post by sophistry » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:20 pm

JOThompson wrote: Am I crazy for wanting to commute from Newberg every day? :(
Newberg? Do you own a house there? If you don't, then you are most definitely crazy. That'd be at least an hour commute, right? Most of our life will be consumed with school, especially the first year. I'd at least get a cheap rental to crash at during the first year or two!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jazzluvr

New

Post by jazzluvr » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:23 pm

Here's a crimemapper website for Portland. You can enter any address and it shows you numbers of various categories of crimes within the past 12 months.

http://www.cgis.ci.portland.or.us/maps/police/

sophistry

Bronze

Post by sophistry » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:26 pm

sophistry wrote:
Newberg? Do you own a house there? If you don't, then you are most definitely crazy. That'd be at least an hour commute, right? Most of our life will be consumed with school, especially the first year. I'd at least get a cheap rental to crash at during the first year or two!
Apologies, my concept of distance was off. I checked googlemaps and it looks like it would be about 30-40 minutes. Does that sound more accurate? If you own a house, don't worry about it. If you're renting, I'd guess you'd want to move closer, but you probably have other factors to weigh. Still, I think it would be good for any full time student to live near campus...

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:37 pm

sophistry wrote:
Yep, I have a house there. Minimizing debt is a big factor for me. I figured if I could commute, it'd be cheaper to attend L&C than Oregon with the dean's scholarship. Newberg to Portland is about a forty minute trip in good traffic. I do that a few times a week for work now (Lloyd Center), but it does waste a lot of time and gas. Maybe a rental is wise for the first year, while I'm still getting used to school.

soulive05

New

Post by soulive05 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:39 pm

sophistry wrote:
sophistry wrote:
Apologies, my concept of distance was off. I checked googlemaps and it looks like it would be about 30-40 minutes. Does that sound more accurate? If you own a house, don't worry about it. If you're renting, I'd guess you'd want to move closer, but you probably have other factors to weigh. Still, I think it would be good for any full time student to live near campus...

Was Conky feeding you bad information? He tends to do that.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”