Lewis & Clark 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bluetomato

New

Re: Lewis & Clark 2010

Post by bluetomato » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:30 pm

+1 for a 2/11 status checker update and being able to get into the admitted students website as of this morning (not able to get in before today).

laureng05

New

Post by laureng05 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:37 pm

thanks for the info on travel stipends, guys. I got a small scholarship to w&m (i'm instate), so i really can't justify going to L&C unless i got a large scholarship (i want to study environmental law.) i may email the admissions office just to double check about stipends. it would make sense for them to give me one since if i go visit, i have a much higher chance of accepting their offer.

Whitters

Bronze

Post by Whitters » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:45 pm

My status checker updated today, but I'm unable to log into the admitted student site. Should I be expecting a decision soon?

sophistry

Bronze

Post by sophistry » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:51 pm

laureng05 wrote:thanks for the info on travel stipends, guys. I got a small scholarship to w&m (i'm instate), so i really can't justify going to L&C unless i got a large scholarship (i want to study environmental law.) i may email the admissions office just to double check about stipends. it would make sense for them to give me one since if i go visit, i have a much higher chance of accepting their offer.
I think this is reasonable, given your other option. W&M is a great school, and only a three hour drive from D.C. (read: EPA). Except for the fact that its in a small tourist town, W&M would win in my book. I don't have any stats to back it up, but I'd guess you would have a better shot at an EPA job going to W&M than going to L&C. I'm sure W&M admissions can tell you how many people went into enviro law recently.

Either way, you should still visit L&C and Portland!
Last edited by sophistry on Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sophistry

Bronze

Post by sophistry » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:54 pm

Whitters wrote:My status checker updated today, but I'm unable to log into the admitted student site. Should I be expecting a decision soon?
It depends on when you applied. The status checker doesn't seem mean much, except that most people had theirs update three times before a decision was mailed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

erniesto

Bronze

Post by erniesto » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:14 pm

In on 02/05 - but waiting on scholarship money

I'd consider sticker here (IBR) if I was confident I could get a decent PI position coming out.

However, I haven't been able to find L+C grads positioned at any major environmental PI groups. I usually see t-14 grads (with heavy weight given to GULC), sometimes a sprinkling of Vermont grads. Has anyone found a list of L+C grads in PI groups or firms? Where do they go?

beepermad

New

Post by beepermad » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:28 pm

Status checker just updated to 2/17...third update. Fingers crossed!

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:33 pm

Apparently L&C just loves messing with my head. First my application is put on hold. Then I receive an e-mail from their admissions office, which gets my hope up about some kind of decision. The e-mail ended up being about financial aid. Today I receive a large packet in the mail from them. I'm thinking, "Wow, they decided to admit me!" The packet contained a Practical Skills brochure and la etter telling me how great their school is and that they hope I like what I see.... Are you kidding me?!

nonsequitur

New

Post by nonsequitur » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:23 pm

sophistry wrote:
laureng05 wrote:thanks for the info on travel stipends, guys. I got a small scholarship to w&m (i'm instate), so i really can't justify going to L&C unless i got a large scholarship (i want to study environmental law.) i may email the admissions office just to double check about stipends. it would make sense for them to give me one since if i go visit, i have a much higher chance of accepting their offer.
I think this is reasonable, given your other option. W&M is a great school, and only a three hour drive from D.C. (read: EPA). Except for the fact that its in a small tourist town, W&M would win in my book. I don't have any stats to back it up, but I'd guess you would have a better shot at an EPA job going to W&M than going to L&C. I'm sure W&M admissions can tell you how many people went into enviro law recently.

Either way, you should still visit L&C and Portland!
and
erniesto wrote:However, I haven't been able to find L+C grads positioned at any major environmental PI groups. I usually see t-14 grads (with heavy weight given to GULC), sometimes a sprinkling of Vermont grads. Has anyone found a list of L+C grads in PI groups or firms? Where do they go?
I'm interested in government work in the future so this is something I researched a little. Searching around the Pacific NW I found one of the EPA staff attorneys in Seattle is a L&C grad.

I also asked some questions about this issue to one of the current L&C students who e-mailed me to get that perspective.

Quote:
"As far as government placement agencies, a lot of first year students work at Oregon DOJ and the Bonneville Power Administration (they are the designated agency that handles all of our power in Oregon). Some students go to DC for their summer clerkship and some students work for non-profit environmental agencies, such as Columbia River Keepers. Students can also get paying positions with Northwest Environmental Defense Center (NEDC) and Pacific Environmental Advocacy Center (PEAC) - both are on-campus. Basically, everyone I know who wanted to do environmental law got a job somewhere."

Hope that info helps. Although, most EPA lawyer profiles I could dig up in an afternoon of searching were top30 graduates. DOJ (D.C.) is even more competitive.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

heckyes

New

Post by heckyes » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:17 pm

sophistry wrote:
Thanks, Algren.

Hooray, I was just accepted via our new "status checker." I haven't received my snail mail yet. My third and most recent complete update was 2/11. Fingers crossed for $$.
good luck!!!!!!!!

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:57 pm

On hold via email. Shit.

seattleguy

New

Post by seattleguy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:03 pm

kswiss wrote:On hold via email. Shit.
On hold can be ok, I've read a lot about it because I'm on hold at Cardozo. From what I've read, send a LOCI if you actually want to go there and they'll usually let you in. From what I've read, its a form of yp.

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:19 pm

There is a 80+% chance that I'd go if accepted. I'm a splitter, 170/sub 3.0, with a crazy upward trend (3.9 last 3 years. Three semesters of horrible, and I mean horrible grades about 8 years ago.)

In theory, I have a decent shot at a lot of schools. I'm on the waitlist at Duke. In at one of my TTT safeties (Idaho). I applied to 17 schools, all over the place, but I want to end up in Portland. If I don't by some miracle get into one of the t20s that I applied to, L&C was my school of choice.

This honestly made me sick to my stomach. How long should I wait before a LOCI? I don't want them to reject me before my spring grades come out. I'm taking 21 units and I should have a 4.0, which will look pretty solid.

Ideas?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:23 pm

kswiss wrote:There is a 80+% chance that I'd go if accepted. I'm a splitter, 170/sub 3.0, with a crazy upward trend (3.9 last 3 years. Three semesters of horrible, and I mean horrible grades about 8 years ago.)

In theory, I have a decent shot at a lot of schools. I'm on the waitlist at Duke. In at one of my TTT safeties (Idaho). I applied to 17 schools, all over the place, but I want to end up in Portland. If I don't by some miracle get into one of the t20s that I applied to, L&C was my school of choice.

This honestly made me sick to my stomach. How long should I wait before a LOCI? I don't want them to reject me before my spring grades come out. I'm taking 21 units and I should have a 4.0, which will look pretty solid.

Ideas?
I would send a LOCI relatively soon but note in it that you will be forwarding grades when they become available. That way, if they decided you are a legit applicant, they can let you in soon or at least they will wait for your grades if they don't decide earlier.

seattleguy

New

Post by seattleguy » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:27 pm

kswiss wrote:There is a 80+% chance that I'd go if accepted. I'm a splitter, 170/sub 3.0, with a crazy upward trend (3.9 last 3 years. Three semesters of horrible, and I mean horrible grades about 8 years ago.)

Ideas?
What I read (and kind of did in my situation while saying Cardozo was among my top three) was just write the LOCI, noting that you were on hold but that Lewis and Clark is your top choice (which it is if you would 80% end up there). I would then say why you want L&C, and let them know that your spring grades are coming and you are going to send those shortly. As in a typical LOCI, you would update them on any other things that have happened since you applied. I think they would probably accept you soon after considering your numbers.

lawgirl99

Bronze

Post by lawgirl99 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:30 pm

Also on hold via email. Pretty disappointed. L&C is my #1 choice. Eff...

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:36 pm

seattleguy wrote:

Ideas?
What I read (and kind of did in my situation while saying Cardozo was among my top three) was just write the LOCI, noting that you were on hold but that Lewis and Clark is your top choice (which it is if you would 80% end up there). I would then say why you want L&C, and let them know that your spring grades are coming and you are going to send those shortly. As in a typical LOCI, you would update them on any other things that have happened since you applied. I think they would probably accept you soon after considering your numbers.
That's my plan. I was put on hold about a month ago, and I plan on sending a LOCI this month. Although, I don't always think being put on hold is a case of YP considering my stats are 3.39, 161.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

funkylicks

New

Post by funkylicks » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:38 am

It was great to hear from fellow 2/11-3rd time updates; I can now log into the 'Admitted Students' portion of the website too. Since I'm currently in England and thus at the mercy of snail mail x 10, I hope to hear you guys get your letters/packets in the next few days. I'm thrilled and I can't wait to get back to Portland!

beepermad

New

Post by beepermad » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:48 am

funkylicks wrote:It was great to hear from fellow 2/11-3rd time updates; I can now log into the 'Admitted Students' portion of the website too. Since I'm currently in England and thus at the mercy of snail mail x 10, I hope to hear you guys get your letters/packets in the next few days. I'm thrilled and I can't wait to get back to Portland!
Where in England? I'm in London!

...and hoping the Admitted Students site will eventually rescue me, as well...

funkylicks

New

Post by funkylicks » Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:54 am

beepermad wrote:
funkylicks wrote:It was great to hear from fellow 2/11-3rd time updates; I can now log into the 'Admitted Students' portion of the website too. Since I'm currently in England and thus at the mercy of snail mail x 10, I hope to hear you guys get your letters/packets in the next few days. I'm thrilled and I can't wait to get back to Portland!
Where in England? I'm in London!

...and hoping the Admitted Students site will eventually rescue me, as well...
I'm in Lincoln. I trust you are enjoying sunny London. Best of luck with L & C, I hope you get in.

vegansistah

New

Post by vegansistah » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:31 pm

I really only recall 2 updates, but my latest update was indeed 2/11 and I was able to log onto the Admitted Student's Site yesterday!(And let me tell you, you'd think I had somehow gotten into the vaults of Fort Knox I was so excited!)
:lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Whitters

Bronze

Post by Whitters » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:40 pm

On hold as well. Lame.

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:40 pm

Whitters wrote:On hold as well. Lame.
Welcome to the club.

oregoniangal

New

Post by oregoniangal » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:50 pm

vegansistah wrote:
fruitcocktail wrote:vegansistah!

Awesome tar!

Hope to see ya at L&C!
Thanks! I like my tar, too, but TRUST ME, it has started a lot of conversations (read:fights) on TLS!
You'll fit right in at L&C--great vegan options and strong community. I'm a vegan and so far L&C is my best offer! If you aren't currently in PDX, you should totally explore the vegan cuisine scene (delish). :)

sophistry

Bronze

Post by sophistry » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:39 pm

mhd08 wrote:
Whitters wrote:On hold as well. Lame.
Welcome to the club.
I wouldn't worry too much. Check LSN and you'll see L&C let in a lot of 165+ LSATs, and most of them will be withdrawing and moving on to higher-ranked schools. Plenty of space will open up in April. I feel for you both, though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”